Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

An Arturia iMini question - possible to change effect of MOD WHEEL?

Hey out there!
Anyone using iMini? I love the synth!
I've found a great preset, tweaked It to my liking, but the MOD wheel (in this particular preset) does nothing.

Pitch Bend works but MOD does nothing.

Is there any way to assign an effect or force this wheel to work?
(I need tremolo!!) -im playing funky 80s synthy bass! Of course I need vibrato! :-D

Comments

• This is tricky and something I struggled with myself.

If you look at the lower left hand corner of the control section you'll see the Mod Mix knob. This controls the mix between Oscillator 3 and Noise. Firstly this needs to be set all the way on Oscillator 3 as you have it in your screen shot. Next week at the top of the control section you'll see the orange Oscillator Modulation button. That needs to be switched to "On". That Oscillator Modulation button determines whether the oscillator controls pitch(along with Oscillators 1 and 2) or whether it maps Oscillator 3 to the Mod Wheel like an LFO.

The tricky part here is that, like an original MiniMoog, there is no way to unlink the speed of the LFO from the keyboard. What I mean is: when you play higher notes on the keyboard, the LFO speed will be faster. When you play lower notes on the keyboard, the LFO speed will be slower.

While this is 100% accurate to the original synthesizer, it is a huge thorn in my side as I'm always trying to do exactly what you're trying to do: play a funky bassline with vibrato. I emailed the developer is about this and they didn't seem to think that there was any problem. I assume because of this that there is no fix in sight.

I'm one of the few people that thinks that iMini sounds amazing. Unfortunately there are few bonus features that would need to be added to make this app play well with others.

I hope that helps!

• edited September 2017

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I tried what you said. Greatful for the idea. I see how it works now but I also can kind of see why Mr developer doesn't want to change it, because it looks like doing so would mean him needing to change fundamental things about how it all works -aka betraying the original synth. Bummer.

The technique u mentioned, it's not too bad but I couldn't really get it too wobble in that desirable way? If you set the pitch of osc3 to be I don't know, a third, a fifth. You're kind of just hearing a bit of a chorussey (to my ear) extra element (pitch change) to the sound whereas I think classic tremelo would be like, affecting the 'whole' sound?

Its a shame yeah cos.. Well I've grown very fond of the timbres in This app but just wanted to take it to the next level in playing with more expression.... :-(

I'm probably just a bit hooked on the hardware unto Moog Little Phatty:

and trying to get as close to that as possible.

There is also BASSALICIOUS app... which sounds almost perfect... but more money etc..

---do you think there would be any app out there capable of feeding this iMini in to for the effect?? As a side note I often feed iMini into iFretlessBass just because I prefer to play strings like I play my bass guitar . ;I'm not so good at horizontal keyboard layout).

--there's s setting in ifretlessBass to enable a modulation slider (XY-pad) which can grab various controls from other apps but I've rarely had any luck with it).

If you've not heard bassalicious, Doug recently did a YouTube Demo I recommend a watch of it.

• Yeah - I feel your pain. The fact in that video that you're looking for is exactly the same thing I look for. Unfortunately I was not able to achieve it when I'm any. I just went through the steps that I outlined above myself (I was away from my iPad when I replied to this earlier) and you're right: it doesn't really work with basslines, better with lead sounds as the LFO speed is much faster at that high register.

As far as other apps that can achieve this accurately, there are a ton. It was on how big your budget is. The obvious choice here is to go with Model 15, which I have and it sounds unbelievable. It's a little costly, and the learning curve is steep to be sure, however if you go by your ears alone it sounds incredible. I have also managed to capture this effect really well in Model 15. I just finished up a track that I was working on with Doug Woods of The Sound Test Room that used Model 15 for the bass. I was able to map the Mod wheel to the oscillators and it sounded great. Doug still has to do a mastering video with it but once that is done (should be any day now, right Doug? :wink: ) I will post it here.

The other app I'll recommend for this is mood by apeSoft. The layout is designed after a MiniMoog as is the synth engine behind it. One of my top 5 apps for sound alone and ease of programmability. It's very straightforward to map the mod wheel to the oscillators in mood and you can achieve that same vibrato that you're looking for in the video of the little fatty above.

I've heard of Bassalicious and I used the free version a little bit, however I have so many other synths that can achieve nearly the same thing that I didn't bother. I do like Gospel Musicians' other apps, Neo-Soul Keys Studio that was just released is simply amazing. But I think that this is all outside of your original question.

• I absolutely love iMini. It has the most intuitive controls of any synth.

• Since they're similar (built after the mini Moog), is it possible to transfer my presets that I've created in iMini into Mood at all? I'm guessing already this might be impossible but wanted to ask as I've spent a fair bit of time creating those...

Does anyone think there is a likelihood of being able to add tremelo as an 'effect'? (tweakable with a mod wheel) (routing through audiobus etc)..

• Ok no bites so I'm thinking porting iMini patches over to Mood isn't possible.

THIS:
    ---id still be curious if anyone can think of a way to add a tremelo effect (user-controlled, not prevailing over the entire playing (aka automatic)) to any sound coming out of iMini.
    ------I thought of possibly blagging a foot pedal from somewhere and mapping the mod wheel to that from within iMini, but again, the original problem is that we don't have an ideal tremelo solution withhin iMini in the first place!!

--I really don't know why IFretlessBass fails so badly when it comes to its XY-PAD.
    You're supposed to be able to make it do a million things by letting it control various controls of other synths, but it basically flat-out doesn't work. -the only XY-pad tweaking effect which actually DOES work is to adjust volume!

1. Turn off OSC3 CONTROL
    2. Turn on OSCILLATOR MODULATION
    3. Set OSC3 RANGE to LO
    4. Set MOD MIX to OSC3

Have fun!!! (Oh, you may have to "train" the MOD WHEEL to respond to your controller's mod wheel)

• @marcelmib said:
    1. Turn off OSC3 CONTROL
    2. Turn on OSCILLATOR MODULATION
    3. Set OSC3 RANGE to LO
    4. Set MOD MIX to OSC3

Have fun!!! (Oh, you may have to "train" the MOD WHEEL to respond to your controller's mod wheel)

Thanks for the tip. I tried what you said but I can't seem to get the effect still. ---i can assign my Mod wheel so that it's linked to the Mod mix control... But surely if you 1) turn off OSC3 control , you've killed it outright so how could it affect anything at all even if you adjust it with the wheel?