Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Latest from Blip interactive on Nanostudio 2 + Screenshots

Comments

• @triton100 said:

Intua shot themselves in the foot with a very basic / hate to say it poor manual. Things that people were confused about or didn't think it can do it usually can. And then some ...

Yes, this encapsulates it for me. Most of the shortcomings are probably from user error/ignorance, but if they could lay it out in a decent manual, then I would feel better about exploring it more thoroughly. Plus, it would make for good subway/bathroom reading (not equating the two, you understand).

• @ALB said:

@triton100 said:

Intua shot themselves in the foot with a very basic / hate to say it poor manual. Things that people were confused about or didn't think it can do it usually can. And then some ...

Yes, this encapsulates it for me. Most of the shortcomings are probably from user error/ignorance, but if they could lay it out in a decent manual, then I would feel better about exploring it more thoroughly. Plus, it would make for good subway/bathroom reading (not equating the two, you understand).

https://intua.net/downloads/BM3_Manual.pdf

• @OscarSouth

I didn't realise they'd updated the manual. Ha after I've already put in all the work. I'd say I pretty much know it inside out now. Better late than never.

It's so weird hearing people not getting into bm3 as it's an iOS game changer. I'm convinced they would love it once they got over the learning curve but each to their own.

• Thanks - I hadn't checked their site in awhile.

• I really never thought of nanostudio and beatmaker to be in direct competition...
    Beatmaker3 comes off as an iOS version (maybe better than) MPC Live...it can do all sorts of music but it leans toward hip hop and rap the most...it's heavy in the sampler power area.

Nanostudio seems to go more to the EDM area kinda reminds me of a Roland mc909 ordeal, as it's about the synth and sequencing but sampling is a costar more than upfront main star.

I see all kinds of banter in favor of one or the other...but they are apps, they cost very little in comparison to real hardware gear, and it's silly to not own both. Great samplers start out at over $300 and move up everyday all day, so what is 20 to 40 bucks? A drop in the bucket. In fact it's the costs a couple of value meals at some dive restaurant.

When I see powerful mobile daws being touted as overly expensive at 20 bucks, I have to laugh, because it's likely the person complaining has no roots in the business of music.

Support great developers who make great things, especially if those things give you the ability to realize your dreams and ideas....or even pass the time in a pleasant way.

With all of that said...I'm super excited about ns2 and obsidian synth contained within!

• Obsidian details from the NS thread:

In the same tradition as NS1's Eden synth, the new synth is intended to be a good general purpose 'workhorse' synth to get stuff done with high CPU efficiency. I'll probably leave more weird and wonderful stuff to all those wonderful developers of Audio Units out there ...

It has 3 oscillators, any of which can be:

• Analogue (all the basic waveforms with the choice of sync)
    • Wavetable (for interpolating between a range of new waveforms on the fly)
    • Phase distortion (similar to 80's Casio CZ range)
    • 3 Operator FM with various different waveforms and envelopes for each operator connection/feedback parameter
    • NanoSaw (8 detuned saws, similar to Roland supersaw), with stereo option
    • Noise (a range of different noise spectrums with additional LP/HP/Band/Notch filter)
    • Sample (including multisamples with crossfades etc), with stereo option

Each oscillator can be assigned to a velocity range (with variable crossfades) or used in the usual layered mode. You can set one of the oscillators to bypass the filter section if desired, and two of the oscillators can ring modulate.

I really wanted to do some granular stuff but I could see it taking a long time so I shelved it for the time being. However, the sample oscillator has a 'spectral loop' mode in addition to the usual time based looping, which can make some pretty interesting effects - think of putting the sample through an infinitely long reverb, sampling part of that reverb tail and creating a seamless of loop of that.

There are 2 filters which can be:

• LP/HP/BP/Notch with a range of different slopes and the choice between 'digital' or 'analog' (the latter has a drive control and much more resonance).
    • EQ peak or shelf
    • Comb
    • Formant
    • Waveshaper

The 2 filters can be configured in parallel or series, or switched to stereo mode to become a Left/Right pair.

There's an additional global stereo filter with the same options as filters 1/2. However, this filter is applied globally to the output (all voices together) rather than per voice. It's handy for tweaking the EQ as a whole or applying distortion to the whole mix, that sort of thing.

The synth has 3 effects which can be applied in any order:

• Multi-FX (chorus, flanger, phaser, ensemble)
    • Delay (stereo, cross, ping-pong etc.) with beat sync
    • Reverb (various rooms, plate and hall)

Of course you can apply more effects as mixer inserts, but the ones above seemed the best candidates for inclusion in the synth itself.

Finally, there's a mod matrix similar to NS1's Eden, but it's now easier to use as you can just tap on a destination control create a mapping.

• Hoping for this to be good - NS1 had one of the better sequencers and it's one of the few apps I was inclined to make music in. I loathe patterns and scenes. Just give me an arrange window, tracks, and parts. If NS2's sequencer is at least as good as NS1 I'm sure it'll be great. All I ever really thought NS needed was a new paint job and updated synths anyway!

• edited September 2017

@MrSmileZ said:
    I really never thought of nanostudio and beatmaker to be in direct competition...

Yeah, I think this is why I've shelved BM3 in anticipation of Nanostudio2.

I've no qualms with BM3, it looks like a very capable app for what it does, which is why I bought it. I'll definitely use it for something at some point and you seem to get a lot for the £19.99.

The original Nanostudio is certainly more geared in tandem with my workflow and it seems that NS2 will follow the mould.

• @syrupcore said:
    Obsidian details from the NS thread:

All the details from Matt in that thread are like virtual candy. Full of treats! :)

• My first ever mobile music making experience was with the Android only app uLoops (now called PocketBand) by 2Beat, the devs who created Oscilab.

It was 2010/2011 timeframe and for what it did uLoops was excellent. I think it was on the PalmSounds blog that I saw what the answer to what the iOS equivalent was, NanoStudio. As much as I have fond memories of uLoops, NanoStudio was more than it's equivalent on paper, exceeding uLoops loop sequencer capabilities by a great deal.

The closest Android users would eventually get to a full featured MIDI sequencer/instrument was Caustic 3, which I also had, but again comparing it to NanoStudio wasn't fair. Caustic just didn't have the capabilities that NanoStudio had.

But that was 6-7 years ago, and the mobile music production landscape is in another Galaxy. Appoholism and good old AB Forum collective hype/excitement will most likely bring me to purchase it, but I am just not getting what NanoStudio 2 can bring to the table, especially when audio tracks are back burnered from jumpstreet.

Can old NanoStudio vets tell me what makes it so revered? I understand the piano roll & MIDI editor is supposed to kick ass and the main synth was good, but what are some other key points to what made NanoStudio such a big deal?

• I think it was because of the whole package, it made you realise that ios was capable of complete tracks. GarageBand or Cubase did not exist back then. And it got so much right, the mpc style sampling, piano roll etc.

NanoStudio 2 might not have the same impact now, with so much out there, but I'll be picking it up :-)

• edited September 2017

NanoStudio 2 might not have the same impact now

In some way impact will be maybe even bigger :)

Fisrt thing - looks NS2 will have most advanced build-in synth compared to all other iOS DAWs. This means a LOT. Yes , there are IAA, there ara AUs. But build-in synth, which looks also pretty hell much optimalised, so on new devices it can handle literally 10's instances in realtime (mentioned by Matt at public forums) - that is game changer.

Another things - from screenshots and fragments of information it's clear that routing abilities of mixer (grouping, sending, returns) will me mindblowing and not comparable to anything other available on iOS.

Take this + add how brutally intuitive was NS1 sequencer (still not beatet by anything else currently available) - i assume this will be not breaked but moved even few steps forward - and you get result .. this will be revolution in iOS DAW segment and will define how iOS DAW should look for next few years.

Even without audio tracks in first release (i believe in next release they will be added, no reason to not believe in that), it will be big thing and punch to the face of all other competitors in this app segment :)

• @dendy said:

Fisrt thing - looks NS2 will have most advanced build-in synth compared to all other iOS DAWs. This means a LOT. Yes , there are IAA, there ara AUs. But build-in synth, which looks also pretty hell much optimalised, so on new devices it can handle literally 10's instances in realtime (mentioned by Matt at public forums) - that is game changer.

Another things - from screenshots and fragments of information it's clear that routing abilities of mixer (grouping, sending, returns) will me mindblowing and not comparable to anything other available on iOS.

Take this + add how brutally intuitive was NS1 sequencer (still not beatet by anything else currently available) - i assume this will be not breaked but moved even few steps forward - and you get result .. this will be revolution in iOS DAW segment and will define how iOS DAW should look for next few years.

Even without audio tracks in first release (i believe in next release they will be added, no reason to not believe in that), it will be big thing and punch to the face of all other competitors in this app segment :)

The hype train will come and go as per usual. Everyone will become crazily excited, massive buildup, beta testers will stir the pot unmercifully, message boards going crazy on release day, there'll be a few months of active feedback as people push for the features they want and lament those they don't have, some people will settle into happily using and possibly discussing NS2 in their daily routine, others will move onto the next big hype train and NS2 will take its rightful place in the competitive landscape of iOS, the world will keep on turning!

• @OscarSouth said:

@dendy said:

The hype train will come and go as per usual. Everyone will become crazily excited, massive buildup, beta testers will stir the pot unmercifully, message boards going crazy on release day, there'll be a few months of active feedback as people push for the features they want and lament those they don't have, some people will settle into happily using and possibly discussing NS2 in their daily routine, others will move onto the next big hype train and NS2 will take its rightful place in the competitive landscape of iOS, the world will keep on turning!

And also that description of new era for iOS daw fits perfectly into BM3...
    I'm curious about NS2 since I'm one of these early BM3 adopters whose are still on the fence waiting for some updates, full debugged manual and so... but for me audio (and warp markers) is top priority and avoiding the usual linear secuencers where Auria/Cubase workflow are inspired the reason to jump from desktops to iPad. I prefer the Novation apps or Modstep/Loopy/Samplebot approach were each app does the best on its own and could work as standalone by itself instead as host for the others (or almost avoid intense post-pro of these linear Daws and focus on clips like modstep)

What could offer NS2 to users like me?

• I am quite sure that the NS2 release will not be such a total mess as the BM3 release, both in regards to being so late without any information about whats happening, no in regards to initial bugs. And of course in regards to the release not containing stuff that was already working in the pre-release beta and is still not there after the third update.

But we will see ;-)

• @MrSmileZ said:
    I really never thought of nanostudio and beatmaker to be in direct competition...
    Beatmaker3 comes off as an iOS version (maybe better than) MPC Live...it can do all sorts of music but it leans toward hip hop and rap the most...it's heavy in the sampler power area.

Nanostudio seems to go more to the EDM area kinda reminds me of a Roland mc909 ordeal, as it's about the synth and sequencing but sampling is a costar more than upfront main star.

I see all kinds of banter in favor of one or the other...but they are apps, they cost very little in comparison to real hardware gear, and it's silly to not own both. Great samplers start out at over $300 and move up everyday all day, so what is 20 to 40 bucks? A drop in the bucket. In fact it's the costs a couple of value meals at some dive restaurant.

When I see powerful mobile daws being touted as overly expensive at 20 bucks, I have to laugh, because it's likely the person complaining has no roots in the business of music.

Support great developers who make great things, especially if those things give you the ability to realize your dreams and ideas....or even pass the time in a pleasant way.

With all of that said...I'm super excited about ns2 and obsidian synth contained within!

Great speech. Don't think you get the point though. For most it's not about the cost. It's about investment of time in learning an app.

• Started life with ns2 and bm1 on iOS.
    What a great start , so will be happy to give money to blip on day 1.
    Agreed with above, ns1 only needed a new spray job and a new set of tyres.
    Sure it won't be my always go to app. But sure it will fit in

• Just goes to show that not all devs are writers or have a writing Dept or even can afford one. To me, I have yet to even see the manual and I forgive this dev if there's not an exhaustive manual I can imagine the depth or the amount of man hours that would take to write one.

For me time better spent is squashing bugs and we have awesome tutorials from Doug, Haq, and the Audio Dabbler. To me their videos are so indispensable to learning Cubasis or BM3. Again just MHO. <3

@OscarSouth said:
    @triton100 tell me about it re:manual. I tried to read it exhaustively and it was pretty much impossible to even find the different chapters, was just a mishmash of unorganised articles that linked to each other. At least you can read through it in one PDF file now. It could go a bit deeper but it lays most of the fundamental principles out! Major improvement!

• edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @StudioES said:
    I never used NS1 or Eden, but the updated Obsidian sounds amazing!

VA, 3-op FM, PD, Wavetable, Noise Spectrums, Supersaw, multisamples...2 filters including comb & waveshaping, effects, flexible routing, mod matrix...

Could it be the deepest multi-synthesis engine synthesizer on iOS (that isn't a modular)?

The description of Obsidian sounds a lot like Thor with many hints of Eden....and a multisampler tossed in for the hell of it. Best news is...more than one instance if Obsidian per track. :grin:

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@StudioES said:

VA, 3-op FM, PD, Wavetable, Noise Spectrums, Supersaw, multisamples...2 filters including comb & waveshaping, effects, flexible routing, mod matrix...

Could it be the deepest multi-synthesis engine synthesizer on iOS (that isn't a modular)?

The description of Obsidian sounds a lot like Thor with many hints of Eden....and a multisampler tossed in for the hell of it. Best news is...more than one instance if Obsidian per track. :grin:

This is the thing. The Obsidian demos sound great but even if it's not quite as subjectively good as insert your favorite synth app here, the fact that you can run "10s" of them at once is a pretty giant deal. Bigly.

• @syrupcore said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@StudioES said:

This is the thing. The Obsidian demos sound great but even if it's not quite as subjectively good as insert your favorite synth app here, the fact that you can run "10s" of them at once is a pretty giant deal. Bigly.

I know words. I have the best words. I approve this message.

• edited December 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @StudioES said:
    Multi-synthesis engines are huge. Believe me. I've been doing thus for a long long time.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@StudioES said:
    Multi-synthesis engines are huge. Believe me. I've been doing thus for a long long time.

NS2 is gonna be a tremendous update that'll meet the needs of the incredible women and men who make music, believe me.

• @StudioES said:
    deleted; NS2 looks great. Sort of like Gadget on steroids? Monster multi-instance multi-synthesis synth, AUv3 hosting, proper audio tracks eventually..so basically like a DAW with focus on synths, instead of a DAW which focuses on sampling (like BM3)? What about the Reason Mobile rumors?

I dunno if it'll be like Gadget on steroids. For sure, the synthesis looks considerably more powerful than native gadgets but part of what makes Gadget Gadget is a wide set of very focused instruments. This looks like NS1 (a synth and pad/sampling instrument) on steroids.

And yeah, I think NS has been focused on synth-based song making and BM has been focused on sample-based song making from the start.

• As long > @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@StudioES said:

NS2 is gonna be a tremendous update that'll meet the needs of the incredible women and men who make music, believe me.

Great stuff

• @triton100 said:

@MrSmileZ said:

Great speech. Don't think you get the point though. For most it's not about the cost. It's about investment of time in learning an app.

Thanks for reading my speech. :)
    What point did I fail to get? I made a point, about the app pissing contest, being pointless.
    As far as investment in time goes...don't buy it. If it would waste too much of your time to learn it and not enhance your workflow, you don't have to buy it. I really don't find NS hard to use...it's straightforward. I also don't find bm3 hard to use. In my use, they work fine for me.

Simply said ...personal finance is a condition brought on by choices, but investment of time is merely a choice.

• edited September 2017

@triton100 said:
    @OscarSouth

I didn't realise they'd updated the manual. Ha after I've already put in all the work. I'd say I pretty much know it inside out now. Better late than never.

It's so weird hearing people not getting into bm3 as it's an iOS game changer. I'm convinced they would love it once they got over the learning curve but each to their own.

Isnt that the fun now you Know what your doing instead of thinking about it
    I second GAME CHANGER

• edited September 2017

@MrSmileZ said:

@triton100 said:

@MrSmileZ said:

Thanks for reading my speech. :)
    What point did I fail to get? I made a point, about the app pissing contest, being pointless.
    As far as investment in time goes...don't buy it. If it would waste too much of your time to learn it and not enhance your workflow, you don't have to buy it. I really don't find NS hard to use...it's straightforward. I also don't find bm3 hard to use. In my use, they work fine for me.

Simply said ...personal finance is a condition brought on by choices, but investment of time is merely a choice.

Completely agree with you re the 'app pissing contest' (quaint expression). My point was that some people don't necessarily see it as pitting one app against the other. They simply want to first get an understanding of which is the better app for their personal case use in order to know which one to go for, and therefore better invest their time in learning an app. but it's great for you that you are a wiz on both bm3 and ns2. Happy for you. Not everyone has found that though and you'll see many who have found bm3 to have a big learning curve. So therefore choice of investment of time most certainly is important for many. You seem to be one of the exceptions.