Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Latest from Blip interactive on Nanostudio 2 + Screenshots

Comments

• edited September 2017

I'm a heavy Nano 1 user. What's a crash?

• @LeeB said:

You know what....right! I can´t remember one crash with this app....even right now.
    But maybe version 2 is a lot more complex so we shouldn´t expect wonders here.
    But i like what i see so far. I´m sure NS2 is the iOS DAW.

• @LeeB said:

Haha. Exactly! :)

Nanostudio has never crashed on me either.

Not once.

Ever!

• edited September 2017

I bought BM3, but honestly, I've hardly used it.

I've been reluctant to invest my limited time into a workflow that has seemed to baffle a few folks here, knowing that NanoStudio 2 is 2017 bound.

I'm even hoping that the midi stuff is deep enough that I can put Modstep to bed and that the sequencer will hibernate Gadget.

** None of which has been suggested by the dev, but I'm an optimist! :) **

• Nanostudio never crashes, I bet Nanostudio 2 is the same.

• @SpookyZoo said:

I've been reluctant to invest my limited time into a workflow that has seemed to baffle a few folks here, knowing that NanoStudio 2 is 2017 bound.

I'm even hoping that the midi stuff is deep enough that I can put Modstep to bed and that the sequencer will hibernate Gadget.

We are in exact parallel.

• Made my first album with NanoStudio, really good app, still one of the best piano roll implementations. Before this forum the NanoStudio forum was the place to hang out...will pick this up on release!!

• I still like playing around with BM3, but I'm looking forward to NS2 no doubt! A lack of audio tracks might be disappointing at first, but I cut my computer-music teeth on FL Studio 3, which had no audio tracks (well, Audio Clips, which were introduced in FL 4 I believe). SO, Obsidian's sampler mode looks powerful enough that it'll provide a decent temporary playback solution. NS2 will be like getting back to my roots (since NS1 was the first iOS music making environment I ever purchased back in 2011). Cheers.

• edited September 2017

I created my very own first "track" with Nanostudio.....you never forget your first time :)

• @Cib said:

@LeeB said:

You know what....right! I can´t remember one crash with this app....even right now.
    But maybe version 2 is a lot more complex so we shouldn´t expect wonders here.
    But i like what i see so far. I´m sure NS2 is the iOS DAW.

:)

• No Song/Scene mode?

• @firejan82 said:
    Looking sweet! I wonder if it'll have any side-chain capabilities this time around.

Yes it will, I just learned on the blipinteractive forum.

• @RajahP said:
    No Song/Scene mode?

I don't think there's a scene mode, per se, but it's a linear sequencer so you get Song mode by default.

Other newer juicy bits from that thread:

You can have as many effects on a track as your device will support before it falls over. Yes, you can re-order effects, and also do stuff such as copying/pasting an effects chain from one track to another, or saving the chain as a preset to load up in another project.

Will your file system be similar to that of the flexible ones in AudioShare and Beatmaker 3?

Yes, multiple selection, copy, move, create folders and subfolders, import, export, renaming, trash bin, file preview with file info, all that sort of nonsense!

The new compressor supports an external sidechain input, and the new mixer supports arbitrary send/return wiring (but won't allow feedback loops). Basically you just add a send from the track of your choice to the compressor's sidechain destination.

I'm certainly intending the sequencer to be able to send external CC, program change etc. I'm aiming for the idea that when using the external MIDI instrument, that track pretty well behaves like a general purpose MIDI recorder/editor - not sure about sysex yet though.

• Ahhhhhh, I love everything I read.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@OscarSouth said:
    Looks cool but I'm a Beatmaker3 man.

At this time I am.

The caveat being that if BM3 is still crashing at the rate it currently does for me, well........................

I have invested in most of the iaps and really hope it is crash free soon.

I=
    BM3 definitely has my interest and love at the moment.

I guess you've seen all the bm3 threads re crashes but just in case, a lot are currently to do with audio damage plug ins, for whatever reasons. I don't use them for the moment and have been crash free.

• @triton100 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@OscarSouth said:
    Looks cool but I'm a Beatmaker3 man.

At this time I am.

The caveat being that if BM3 is still crashing at the rate it currently does for me, well........................

I have invested in most of the iaps and really hope it is crash free soon.

I=
    BM3 definitely has my interest and love at the moment.

I guess you've seen all the bm3 threads re crashes but just in case, a lot are currently to do with audio damage plug ins, for whatever reasons. I don't use them for the moment and have been crash free.

Ditto. I actually route audio out to my second device and back for processing, which includes as Eos instance in AUM amongst other things.

• Omg. I love nanostudio. Still never found a replacement. With the 32 bit purge coming soon this will be an instabuy and life saver

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@SpookyZoo said:

I was just about to write the exact same thing. And let me take a guess at your current mind-set: foolishly, unreasonably hoping that the new BM3 update will clear the mists of bafflement, and you'll be able to jump right in?

• ALBALB
    edited September 2017

@ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@SpookyZoo said:

I was just about to write the exact same thing. And let me take a guess at your current mind-set: foolishly, unreasonably hoping that the new BM3 update will clear the mists of bafflement, and you'll be able to jump right in?

...and I'm right there with all of you. BM3 is quite powerful, but I'm hoping that a) BM3 gets sorted out to the point where it's really useful so that the time I put into learning it isn't wasted, or b) NanoStudio2 hits the sweet spot of usability and depth that it becomes my DAW of choice.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Open book. I did play with it a little upon release. Heard cleverer people then me as confused as me (almost) and other complaints as to bugs, appreciated the obvious effort made and retired immediately to the sidelines like a player who tweaks his hamstring a few minutes into the big game and decides to rest it as a precautionary measure, while still hopeful of making a contribution later in the cup run if his team stays in it.

/mangled metaphor etc.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@SpookyZoo said:

...retired immediately to the sidelines like a player who tweaks his hamstring a few minutes into the big game and decides to rest it as a precautionary measure, while still hopeful of making a contribution later in the cup run if his team stays in it.

/mangled metaphor etc.

Perfect! :)

• edited September 2017

@SpookyZoo said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@SpookyZoo said:

...retired immediately to the sidelines like a player who tweaks his hamstring a few minutes into the big game and decides to rest it as a precautionary measure, while still hopeful of making a contribution later in the cup run if his team stays in it.

/mangled metaphor etc.

Why are you guys doing with this thing? It's proper quality!! Phenomenal! Astounding! All but a few of the issues I had have already been mopped up lighting quick and the biggest update yet is in review! I'm focused on a specific project right now and I'm putting in 6+ hour sessions and not getting a single issue. What I'm hearing on this board just ain't connecting with reality for me.

I did have to do a huge amount of learning in record time to even get a fraction out of it (so far) of what I'm sure it's going to give me. It isn't another iOS quick fix. It's an instrument of infinite possibility to be mastered.

• @OscarSouth

I'm sure it's great.

I just don't have the time to put in 6+ hour sessions to find out.

• @OscarSouth said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@SpookyZoo said:

/mangled metaphor etc.

Why are you guys doing with this thing? It's proper quality!! Phenomenal! Astounding! All but a few of the issues I had have already been mopped up lighting quick and the biggest update yet is in review! I'm focused on a specific project right now and I'm putting in 6+ hour sessions and not getting a single issue. What I'm hearing on this board just ain't connecting with reality for me.

I did have to do a huge amount of learning in record time to even get a fraction out of it (so far) of what I'm sure it's going to give me. It isn't another iOS quick fix. It's an instrument of infinite possibility to be mastered.

I don't mean to knock it too much, as there is a great deal of it that is "right". I'm just looking forward to fewer bugs and more ease of use. The interface is a bit disorganized for fast creation of songs. Doesn't mean I won't be spending some time with it.

• @OscarSouth said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@SpookyZoo said:

/mangled metaphor etc.

Why are you guys doing with this thing? It's proper quality!! Phenomenal! Astounding! All but a few of the issues I had have already been mopped up lighting quick and the biggest update yet is in review! I'm focused on a specific project right now and I'm putting in 6+ hour sessions and not getting a single issue. What I'm hearing on their board just ain't connecting with reality for me.

I have no issue with any glitches. It's the workflow that doesn't seem completely hospitable. I'm willing to learn, but I want to make sure, like JG, that the power users are happy.

For instance. I had a little arpeggio-and-drum pattern going. I wanted to load Elastic Drums into BM3 and have it record the audio while the arp midi recorded in its own track.

It was actually somewhat complicated to get Elastic Drums to record. I had to load it as a bank, and then send that to an audio track.

It was fine, but not immediately obvious.

(It's like the recent George Suanders novel, "Lincoln in the Bardo." It's a very strange read and at times baffling. Without the knowledge that many people consider it a masterpiece that rewards the reader richly, I might have given up. I'm very glad I didn't. Recommended highly.)

• edited September 2017

@SpookyZoo oh haha this is just daily work, the learning came previously and didn't take nearly that long! (although probably added up to a respectable number over time). What serious tool shouldn't have a serious learning curve? I value depth over instant gratification.

• If my job were music I could set up a meeting with BM3 to discuss how we were going to get know each other over a period of weekly meetings, set goals, targets, have somebody take the minutes so we didn't forget in week 7 what we worked out in week 3, etc...

It's not.

I didn't. :)

• edited September 2017

I'm not dissing BM3.

This is a Nanostudio thread, and my point was I've shelved any idea of sinking learning time into BM3 because I am super excited about getting my hands on Nanostudio 2, now we know it's planned for the next 3 months.

No app has beaten Nanostudio's workflow or piano roll since it was released in 2011.

• edited September 2017

@OscarSouth said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@SpookyZoo said:

/mangled metaphor etc.

It's an absolutely INCREDIBLE piece of sophisticated software.

I am still blown away by what it can do.

You definitely will not get instant results without putting in some time but oh man when you do ...

Intua shot themselves in the foot with a very basic / hate to say it poor manual. Things that people were confused about or didn't think it can do it usually can. And then some ...

Still interested in nano studio as I'm an openminded guy and competition is good I guess.

• @triton100 tell me about it re:manual. I tried to read it exhaustively and it was pretty much impossible to even find the different chapters, was just a mishmash of unorganised articles that linked to each other. At least you can read through it in one PDF file now. It could go a bit deeper but it lays most of the fundamental principles out! Major improvement!