Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[off topic] VCV Rack: Open-source virtual Eurorack DAW

edited September 2017 in Other

Might be interesting software it's Free and available for Mac, Windows and Linux

VCV Rack is the engine powering VCV modules. Add modules, connect cables, edit parameters, and save/load patches. Create generative patches with your mouse, perform with your MIDI keyboard controller, or connect it to your favorite DAW using the Rack Bridge VST/AU plugin (coming soon). In Rack, control voltages and audio signals are equivalent, so you can modulate parameters with sonic-range VCOs to create customizable FM synths or chaotic wave-shaping oscillators. If you already own a modular synthesizer, you can enhance your setup with an audio interface supporting CV signals (see [1] [2]) or a CV-MIDI-CV interface module with Rack's CV Interface (coming soon).

Includes the Fundamental plugin pack with 8 high quality analog-modeling sound generators, processors, and utilities.

website

https://vcvrack.com/

Comments

• Thanks for the pointer, @mannix

• Version 0.4 out now, with lots of 3rd party devs producing modules now. Without a doubt the most exciting software development in years for me.

On VCVrack's Github page there is a discussion in the Issues section of an IOS port. The developer, Andrew Belt, is not too keen but has not explicitly ruled it out. If such a thing were to happen it would clearly be very many months down the line.

It is not a 'Please, please, pretty please port VCVrack .. I promise to buy it' level of discussion (like we hit Fabfilter with recently) but more a discussion about the technical challenges.

It would be great if any interested IOS devs could offer their opinions or expertise.

• I absolutely love VCV rack. It gets better with every update.

• edited October 2017

Yeah it's a great application! Been playing with it since v3, but I hope they fixed the module selector menu, I have all the good 3rd party modules I could find and the module selector goes off the screen so you cannot pick half the modules. Had to delete modules until I could reduce them so I could use the menu again :/

• @mireko_2 said:
    Yeah it's a great application! Been playing with it since v3, but I hope they fixed the module selector menu, I have all the good 3rd party modules I could find and the module selector goes off the screen so you cannot pick half the modules. Had to delete modules until I could reduce them so I could use the menu again :/

Already fixed in 0.4.

• edited October 2017

Yeah, it's a great freeware! But seems to push my cpu very far!
    I hope the plug-in AU/VST will be ready soon too.

• @Cib said:
    Yeah, it's a great freeware! But seems to push my cpu very far!
    I hope the plug-in AU/VST will be ready soon too.

Late Nov/Early Dec according to the dev.

• You can of course get midi in over the IAC bus or from IOS easily (Midimux etc) and the sound out via Soundflower (before the bridge is released). I have been using it with Numerology and Quantum and getting the sound out to Live for further processing.

• @lnikj said:
    You can of course get midi in over the IAC bus or from IOS easily (Midimux etc) and the sound out via Soundflower (before the bridge is released). I have been using it with Numerology and Quantum and getting the sound out to Live for further processing.

Yes, but i want the integration in Logic with the easy way to add several arps, midi FX, modulate automation parameters, add my fav FX like Replika XT and B2 and save that as instrument (stacked track) in Logic.
    While VCV sounds not so good (or let's say analog) like P900 (my fav) or Reaktor or even Zeeon for my taste it's a wonderful world for sound design and no need to buy into Eurorack anymore (i really considered it).
    And since it's open source it will be interesting what modules will come.
    An MPE module like Softube Modular would be awesome. I wish i could code.

• @Cib said:

While VCV sounds not so good (or let's say analog) like P900 (my fav) or Reaktor or even Zeeon for my taste it's a wonderful world for sound design and no need to buy into Eurorack anymore (i really considered it).

I think sound quality, in the sense of Analog, will come as they are almost all digital modules at the moment. The dev has said that Grayscale are going to come out with some Analog modules for it (paid).

• For those who like this it will get better soon. It´s not quite the same as a plug-in within the DAW itself but you even could send different parts of the modular set-up to different channel strips and FX and midi FX inside Logic (or other DAW´s). That´s real modular joy at it´s best :)

• The imminent V0.6 should deliver big improvements in functionality and, especially in my case, big performance improvements.

Looking forward to it, I could compile it myself I guess but too much like work ...

• edited March 2018

v0.6 is out and it's amazeballs.

Performance SO much better, shedloads of free modules to download.

Bring it to iOS pronto, will chuck $ at App Store.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    v0.6 is out and it's amazeballs.

Performance SO much better, shedloads of free modules to download.

Bring it to iOS pronto, will chuck $ at App Store.

I updated it yesterday on my Surface Pro. LOVE IT.

• The vst bridge is bloody amazing. I think it's pretty much replaced all my vst and iOS synth purchases for the time being. Ableton+Vcv with unlimited audio tracks pretty much caters to everything I will ever need.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    The vst bridge is bloody amazing. I think it's pretty much replaced all my vst and iOS synth purchases for the time being. Ableton+Vcv with unlimited audio tracks pretty much caters to everything I will ever need.

For some reason i can´t get it work yet so i have to see some more tutorials how to set that up.
    But it looks really awesome. Sending different parts of the modular set-up to different FX chains inside my prefered DAW and combine it with my other synths seems to be the dogs bollocks.

• @Cib said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    The vst bridge is bloody amazing. I think it's pretty much replaced all my vst and iOS synth purchases for the time being. Ableton+Vcv with unlimited audio tracks pretty much caters to everything I will ever need.

For some reason i can´t get it work yet so i have to see some more tutorials how to set that up.
    But it looks really awesome. Sending different parts of the modular set-up to different FX chains inside my prefered DAW and combine it with my other synths seems to be the dogs bollocks.

Currently the bridge works by putting it on to an audio track and setting the port to exactly the same port as the audio interface in rack. E.g:- in Vcv set audio interface to bridge port 1 and the same in ableton/daw. This makes that particular audio track receive audio from vcv. You can repeat this process to get upto 8 streams on a single port. The bridge actually has 16 ports so you can technically have 128 audio streams but most PC's will melt long before that.

Haven't tested with audio out but I think you just insert the vst as an audio effect after the audio source in the daw.

To send cc towards rack you insert the bridge onto a midi channel and once again set the exact same port you want to automate. So in our examples case port 1.

Currently the bridge doesn't send clock and midi notes yet so for this you need to use a virtual midi cable. I use the excellent loopmidi.

• Thank´s i will look into it if i have time.....lol so many new tools....both, on iOS and mac to play with.
    Good thing i have still a week holiday and bored anyway. :D

• Finally found time to play with .6 today. My god... the bridge is a game changer! I sent midi to VCV Rack using the IAC driver and it worked perfectly. I don’t think my smile has ever been this wide.

• Blamsoft has just made his VCV plugins free. Scroll to the bottom of the page and go get’em https://vcvrack.com/plugins.html

• edited January 2019

XFX Wave looks particularly awesome http://blamsoft.com/vcv-rack/xfx-wave/

• Ta for the heads up @gusgranite !

• Lol, I deleted VCV Rack yesterday because it’s so damn addictive, and I need all of my laptop time to be work time for the next two months. Free blamsoft modules will be fun when I’m over this work crunch!

Would love to see VCVrack on iOS - lots of technical hurdles afaik, so probably won’t happen any time soon. But the future is bright!

• There is a really cool new plugin in the VCVRack plugin manager called What The Rack. It is pretty much what I want a host to do with AUv3s. :smiley:

"WhatTheRack is a plugin for VCV Rack. It contains a single eponymous module with a single button. When you press the button, What The Rack will add 19 random modules plus an audio interface and a scope. All modules' parameters are randomized, too.

The modules will include at least 2 VCOs, 2 LFOs, 2 VCAs, 1 sequencer, 1 clock, 3 effect modules, 2 filters, 2 envelopes, 1 mixer and 3 miscellaneous modules. This works by scanning for your installed plugins, and going through the registered module models' tags."

Add the free plugin here: https://vcvrack.com/plugins.html

Direct link: https://github.com/korfuri/WhatTheRack/blob/master/README.md

FUN!!!!

• I downloaded this one today, but haven’t had a chance to play with it yet. This sounds mental.

• @Seangarland said:
    I downloaded this one today, but haven’t had a chance to play with it yet. This sounds mental.

I'm chatting to the developer and he's seeing if he can randomly assign a few cables to chain the plugins together as a starting sketchpad as well. Too much fun.

• @gusgranite said:

@Seangarland said:
    I downloaded this one today, but haven’t had a chance to play with it yet. This sounds mental.

I'm chatting to the developer and he's seeing if he can randomly assign a few cables to chain the plugins together as a starting sketchpad as well. Too much fun.

Excellent suggestion @gusgranite. First hit and I got this. Where to start, where to start?