Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Third party CCK: "This accessory is not supported"?

So I got one of these third party CCK with built-in powered USB hub: http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Connection-Kit-ipad-mini/dp/B00DN2ZAUM

to use with my Korg microKey. It works for a while but often I get the "This accessory is not supported" popup message and it stops working after that, until I reboot the iPad.

Does this happen with all third party CCKs? Is this the official Apple CCK the only one that actually works without this happening?

Comments

• There are several posts about things like this going on with iOS7 on the iPad Music facebook groups...

• I'm still on iOS 6.1.3 though. So is this a relatively new phenomenon or has it always been like this with third party CCKs?

• Hmmmm.... Not sure. I haven't heard of anything new on that end...

• I always get the popup with iOS 6 but jst dismiss it and everything seems to continue working. But - this device is not very solid construction, I've had one 30 pin connector fall appart, yours may be on its way there.

But with iOS 7, that's a bummer, the way this little hub connects and gets power is perfect for iPad portable use.

• If you keep your iPad anywhere that lint accumulates, like an old backpack, you might just want to fish around in the input slot for dust bunnies. Worth a try. I had an iPhone that stopped charging or syncing before I figured it out.

• ...it probably needs a powered USB hub to work..... ;-P

• @shortbus I had the same error message the first time I used my Akai MPD24,although I have a genuine Apple CCK,the error only disappeared when I started using it with a powered USB hub.
    If you are using a powered hub you might want to check your mains adaptor if the hub isn't getting a properly regulated supply voltage with enough amps for your Microkey it could cause power to be sucked from your Ipad instead and that would cause the error message.

• Try playing around with the order you plug things in again. I have a Alesis QX25 keyboard that I can use without a powered hub ONLY by this sequence: keyboard-usb cable-Apple CCK-ipad running app. Anything else gives me the "This accessory is not supported" popup.

• edited September 2013

Ok, so using a Belkin powered USB hub, I still get the "accessory is not supported" error pop-up after a few minutes but once I click OK it still keeps working. The same thing happens with two different third party CCKs using that powered USB hub. Another thing I've noticed while trying out the different CCKs is that sometimes it takes a good few minutes before the powered hub recognizes the iPad. All in all, this is still less than ideal even while using a powered USB hub.

So is the only way to avoid having the "accessory is not supported" message pop-up to use a genuine Apple CCK through a powered USB hub?

• no need for a powered hub if you use the CCK from apple.I have a Microkey II and it never made any problems.There are many many reports that third party CCK's work poorly with musical equipment (at least).

• @Crabman Do you mean you have the nanokey2? I have the 37 keys microKey.

• Oh,sorry.You are right,i was talking about the Nanokey.

• I don't mind paying for a genuine Apple CCK but the fact that a few people who have it have already mentioned on here that they also get the "not supported" pop-up message (AlleycatLA said he still can get the error even with a powered hub unless things are plugged in in certain order) doesn't instill much confidence that anything will be different even if I got it.

• Guess I won't have that problem with a "made for iPad" keyboard like iRig Keys right?

• Probably. Because then it is the company's responsibility to make sure it works! :-)

• Not quite what I meant to say, shortbus. The QX25 is supposed to require a powered hub. What I found was if I plugged it in a certain way (keyboard>usb cable>CCK>iPad>app already running) I did not need a hub, and did not get any popups. :-) I've never had a problem with my apple CCK.