Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Axon is on its way to iOS from Audio Damage.

Comments

• @Chris_Randall said:
    I imagine you guys are getting used to my honesty, so here's another dose for you, and I hope it doesn't piss too many of you off:

I have all the usage numbers in front of me, provided by iTunes Connect, and I know that, despite the people that write in this thread otherwise, the vast majority of you that actually instance our products in sessions (and yes, we can see when that happens, and what device you do it on) use them on full-sized iPads. So if a product is still moderately useful on iPhone without changing anything specifically for that format, we release it for iPhone as well. But once it gets to where it's not really usable (the border being Replicant 2, which is right on the edge) we have to exhibit some tough love.

If our iOS line gets to the point where we can hire someone to deal with it exclusively, you'll see more iOS-specific stuff. But until that magical time occurs, we can't diverge too much from the desktop products.

Preach.

• Not available in the UK App Store yet.

• @Artmuzz said:

Not available in the UK App Store yet.

I can see it, first saw it a couple of hours ago in fact.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Artmuzz said:

Link?

• @Artmuzz said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Artmuzz said:

Link?

The one in your quote works for me.

• Is it on initial sale, or is this the regular stable price?

• @MonzoPro said:

@Artmuzz said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Artmuzz said:

Link?

Weird. The link in my quote works yet it doesn’t work on the original post.

• edited October 2017

This is one of those apps that needs vids for fence sitters. I'm interested in hearing how well the synths work for melodic stuff, just in case the MIDI out stuff continues to be an issue. I don't really need another glitchy drum machine.

• edited October 2017

@Artmuzz said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Artmuzz said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Artmuzz said:

Link?

Weird. The link in my quote works yet it doesn’t work on the original post.

This should be the stable price. All their iOS plugins are 10% the cost of the desktop equivalent.

And I didn't mean to run anyone off who was interested in it, I was just trying to sort out the strange MIDI out behavior. The app itself is well worth it and runs flawlessly as an AU. It's an interesting app; a blast to play with the neuron chains and do some nudging with the thresholds to find the sweet spot in building an off-kilter groove.

Anyone who is unsure, just read the first page of the manual that explains the sequencer. It does so very succinctly and should leave no trace of doubt.

• This one is great fun for drum machine lovers. In a clandestine-brain-transplant-operation kind of way.

• @MonzoPro said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I thought this would be an instabuy thing for me, particularly at the decent price, but all this talk of problems with nodes and neuron triggers has me hanging on to this fence in sheer terror.

This is a job for Soundtestroomman.

Just think of 7 nodes (sound sources) each of which can be listening to another for a pulse (trigger). Node zero in the middle is the originator and the thresholds for each listening node are how many pulses it will take for it to sound (and pass the pulse on).

Each node has the ability to fine tune the sound using Frequency Modulation and Timbre parameters and can be tweaked with amplitude and pitch envelopes.

It's more straight-forward than it looks. But fun, especially when you have many going. Poly rhythmic fun.

Thanks Vim. How’s it working with other synths for you? I notice a few comments about issues with MIDI out. Maybe the internal synth is good enough on its own for now?

I’ve been triggering ThumbJam’s drum kits OK straight out the box and iM1’s kits with some transposition.

The melodic stuff is wierd (seeing MIDI coming in but no sound) and doesn’t seem consistent but could just be me.

It’s an AU and the synth sounds good enough so worth the $ for mine as is. I’m sure if there’s anything up with the MIDI out it’ll get sorted soon enough anyway.

• Who's tried this yet? Seeing it in the US now. I have not been paying attention to this one until just this morning hen I awoke.

• @MonzoPro said:
    This is one of those apps that needs vids for fence sitters. I'm interested in hearing how well the synths work for melodic stuff, just in case the MIDI out stuff continues to be an issue. I don't really need another glitchy drum machine.

Just woke up, again, I actually got up really early, around 5.50 am, had a crap night, and there was a an e-mail from Chris, anyway that’s why I was playing with it so early.

For melodic stuff it’s very nice because you can set each node/synth to a specific note of your choosing, when doing the melodies though I find it best to have all the nodes/synths set exactly the same sound wise at first, just copy and paste voice to each node, then start to manipulate the threshold of each synth, adjusting the pitch too, switch MIDI ONLY on then copy paste, that’s fun

• @thesoundtestroom said:

@MonzoPro said:

Just woke up, again, I actually got up really early, around 5.50 am, had a crap night, and there was a an e-mail from Chris, anyway that’s why I was playing with it so early.

For melodic stuff it’s very nice because you can set each node/synth to a specific note of your choosing, when doing the melodies though I find it best to have all the nodes/synths set exactly the same sound wise at first, just copy and paste voice to each node, then start to manipulate the threshold of each synth, adjusting the pitch too, switch MIDI ONLY on then copy paste, that’s fun

Thanks Doug, that makes sense, and I'm guessing running multiple instances in AUM makes it even more fun.

Had a crap night too - autistic 8 year old in the next room banging on the wall most of the night means I've only had about 2 hours sleep, so getting my head around drawn reciprocation dingle arms reducing sinusoidal depleneration's is a bit of a challenge.

Will hold on for your vid, and if it pushes me off the fence (unless I fall off first) will make sure to use your link.

• @MonzoPro said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

@MonzoPro said:

Thanks Doug, that makes sense, and I'm guessing running multiple instances in AUM makes it even more fun.

Had a crap night too - autistic 8 year old in the next room banging on the wall most of the night means I've only had about 2 hours sleep, so getting my head around drawn reciprocation dingle arms reducing sinusoidal depleneration's is a bit of a challenge.

Will hold on for your vid, and if it pushes me off the fence (unless I fall off first) will make sure to use your link.

Bless you man, for many reasons

• Ignore my paste MIDI ONLY comment above, I just realised that selecting MIDI ONLY must’ve the synth fo the selected node

• I had a bit of crap night too, maybe this neural sequencer is stronger than I realised and went straight into the synapses. :)
    Btw midi out is always on, the "midi only"is there if you want to silence the internal sounds.
    Still can't see why most synths aren't making sounds from it though. it's sending velocity 121 by default.

• Had a crap night too - autistic 8 year old in the next room banging on the wall most of the night means I've only had about 2 hours sleep, so getting my head around drawn reciprocation dingle arms reducing sinusoidal depleneration's is a bit of a challenge.

I know that feeling. You are not alone in the dark MonzoPro! My 9 year old autistic son screamed for attention/help when I tried layR for the first time and I tell you my head got really messed up(not literally).

• Ok think I've figured it out. The note on/offs are coming in the wrong order. From Axon they are coming off then on, instead of on then off, so only some are getting through. Can any one else confirm this bug?

@Chris_Randall

• As a comparison, Axon on the left and Quincy on the right in Midiflow, only Quincy is making sounds with Mersenne
    But the very occasional hit gets through via Axon.

• Will wait for an update before purchasing , thanks for the tip.

• My nonexisting mony is sitting loosely - boring day, sick in bed - just bought this app, and feel better already :smile:

• @Carnbot said:
    As a comparison, Axon on the left and Quincy on the right in Midiflow, only Quincy is making sounds with Mersenne
    But the very occasional hit gets through via Axon.

Ah ha! This makes sense for what I was hearing. So strange.

• Getting the neural sequencer took me a little under an hour to completely figure out. How the individual internal sounds are shaped took about the same amount of time. Without any midi out at all, it's pretty cool.

Although, either I'm completely missing something about how the midi out works, or that part might not be completely sorted out yet. I'm getting some midi out, but no clear understanding on how and what's triggering it. Will put that part on the back burner for now.

However, getting several going in AUM as AUs in several channels can be impressive. You would think you'd end up with a cacophony of individual neural sequences that turn into a chaotic mess (an occasionally you do) but strangely, most of the time they all seem to work well together.

It's definitely a keeper for me. :)

• @skiphunt said:
    Getting the neural sequencer took me a little under an hour to completely figure out. How the individual internal sounds are shaped took about the same amount of time. Without any midi out at all, it's pretty cool.

Although, either I'm completely missing something about how the midi out works, or that part might not be completely sorted out yet. I'm getting some midi out, but no clear understanding on how and what's triggering it. Will put that part on the back burner for now.

However, getting several going in AUM as AUs in several channels can be impressive. You would think you'd end up with a cacophony of individual neural sequences that turn into a chaotic mess (an occasionally you do) but strangely, most of the time they all seem to work well together.

It's definitely a keeper for me. :)

yes there's a midi out bug, see above :)
    Great app though, am sure a fix will be pretty quick for it.

• I am sitting quietly, touching nothing, awaiting pale enlightenment.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I am sitting quietly, touching nothing, awaiting pale enlightenment.

Sure beats enlightened impalement :)

• @syrupcore said:

@bennorland said:
    Axon is probably my all time favourite VSTi on the desktop. Cannot wait to program new presets for it while I am sitting on the train....

Is "the train" a euphemism?

;-)

No

• Copy on the MIDI out bug. I just woke up and am looking at the code and I see that I'm terribly stupid. Fix on the way.

• I tried this app last night and couldn’t figure out anything. That was an awesome experience. Will conquer it today though!