Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - September 2017

Comments

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@studs1966 said:
    This track has just been signed to Disco Balls Records. Acapella is from Loop Masters. Enjoy!...... ;)

LET NO MAN ARGUE WITH THE DISCO BALLS!

And quite right too. You nailed a certain night in a certain year. Disco was so huge and I guess in places it must still be....yours is a very specific art. I imagine you (all disco balls to one side) in a darkened studio with house boys bringing you a succession of iced beverages while you attend to the science of what you do. I would really like to see a documentary on how you approach it all...

Thanks Johnny. I'm no good at documentarys. But I can give you a rough guide(tho probably a long one. But I'll try & break it down).... Here goes....Ahem!.....

1) Find, or buy an acapella that is within your BPM(ideal 120 - 130 bpm). It normally gives you the bpm & Key to work with in the vocals.

2) If I use an iPad(when I'm not on my PC)... Use Loopy HD. With a 4 on the floor kick(same as the acapella. Then play some chords(with SampleTank/iElectric, or Now the brilliant Neo Soul Keys Studio)....... say 4 to 8 bars.

3) while Loopy is playing your chords in the key of the acapella, play around with the bassline(make it funky)

4) use something like Yamaha Drum, Arp & Synth app to control a guitar (Sampletank for example) on top of your chords & Baseline. (In Loopy)

5) add some Horns stabs(iSymphonic Brass is a good example)

6) then add synth stabs in Loopy while it's playing. There you have the basic song.

7) in Cubasis or Auria Pro(make sure the DAW you use is the same bpm as the acapella) add the acapella, then record each Loopy part to a different channel(Channel 2 bass, channel 3 El piano, etc)

But this is where I then have to use Ableton on my PC. (I transfer it to my computer)My Air 1 is not powerful enough to add EQ/Compreesion, FX, etc when using Cubasis,Auria Pro.
    Then do a mix it (-6 with no compression, or Limiter on the Master)
    Then Master with iZotope, or Slate Digital FG-X for example.
    I hope this sheds a little light.
    All NU Disco/Deep House, etc is another form of original Disco, but using modern drum machines instead of traditional drum kits... And better synth, etc ;)
    Hope this helps.....

• @studs1966 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@studs1966 said:
    This track has just been signed to Disco Balls Records. Acapella is from Loop Masters. Enjoy!...... ;)

LET NO MAN ARGUE WITH THE DISCO BALLS!

And quite right too. You nailed a certain night in a certain year. Disco was so huge and I guess in places it must still be....yours is a very specific art. I imagine you (all disco balls to one side) in a darkened studio with house boys bringing you a succession of iced beverages while you attend to the science of what you do. I would really like to see a documentary on how you approach it all...

Thanks Johnny. I'm no good at documentarys. But I can give you a rough guide(tho probably a long one. But I'll try & break it down).... Here goes....Ahem!.....

1) Find, or buy an acapella that is within your BPM(ideal 120 - 130 bpm). It normally gives you the bpm & Key to work with in the vocals.

2) If I use an iPad(when I'm not on my PC)... Use Loopy HD. With a 4 on the floor kick(same as the acapella. Then play some chords(with SampleTank/iElectric, or Now the brilliant Neo Soul Keys Studio)....... say 4 to 8 bars.

3) while Loopy is playing your chords in the key of the acapella, play around with the bassline(make it funky)

4) use something like Yamaha Drum, Arp & Synth app to control a guitar (Sampletank for example) on top of your chords & Baseline. (In Loopy)

5) add some Horns stabs(iSymphonic Brass is a good example)

6) then add synth stabs in Loopy while it's playing. There you have the basic song.

7) in Cubasis or Auria Pro(make sure the DAW you use is the same bpm as the acapella) add the acapella, then record each Loopy part to a different channel(Channel 2 bass, channel 3 El piano, etc)

But this is where I then have to use Ableton on my PC. (I transfer it to my computer)My Air 1 is not powerful enough to add EQ/Compreesion, FX, etc when using Cubasis,Auria Pro.
    Then do a mix it (-6 with no compression, or Limiter on the Master)
    Then Master with iZotope, or Slate Digital FG-X for example.
    I hope this sheds a little light.
    All NU Disco/Deep House, etc is another form of original Disco, but using modern drum machines instead of traditional drum kits... And better synth, etc ;)
    Hope this helps.....

Terrific! You have parted the kimono/shed light into the darkness. Made the whole thing sound easy, but I'm sure it's by no means so :) Thanks for taking the time.

• @moff Entertaining track, nice variation throughout. A bit of 808 state, a bit of KLF. I like the thudding drums and breaks. Wouldn’t be out of place in an 80’s/90’s dance or rave night.

• @AndyPlankton Really, really like this. Has a dark edge to it while still being commercial sounding. Very good mix and mastering. Up there with The Prodigy to my ears and I absolutely love them. Great job.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Well each and every album has at least one gem on it...songs for all occasions there somewhere....I'm finding it hard to pick between Beautiful Freak and Daisies of the Galaxy as recommendations for THE first album, and Souljacker should definitely be experienced at some point on the journey.

Thanks Skipper. Appreciate it. I shall have a dig about. Just think, if I lived in Salford you could make me a mix tape AND I could go see Palace get trounced at Old Trafford at the weekend. Ah well...

:D
    Mixtape there's an idea...... to get you going ;

• edited September 2017

@DefRobot said:
    @AndyPlankton Really, really like this. Has a dark edge to it while still being commercial sounding. Very good mix and mastering. Up there with The Prodigy to my ears and I absolutely love them. Great job.

The Prodigy :open_mouth:

I'll take that :D Cheers Dude !

• @Jumpercollins Are you a fan of Public Sevice Broadcasting? That kind of sound immediately sprung to mind. Eerie sounds and you could fully imagine being out there in space.
    Cool graphic video too, what was used for that?

• @theconnactic Love the improvised shaker :) And the interplay between the classical and electric guitars is nice, as well the the guest appearance from the uke. Musically the harmonics were my favourite passage, it's a chilled piece, and technical as always with your stuff.

• @JohnnyGoodyear Starts off like the early series of American Horror Story in sound and image. Thoroughly creepy feel to it, but almost morphs into sunlight towards the end. Is that Eva Green in part of the video?
    I like the whispery background voices, they give it a hellish, witchy feel. Feels like it ends too soon. Good gravelly vocal tone towards the end.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Well each and every album has at least one gem on it...songs for all occasions there somewhere....I'm finding it hard to pick between Beautiful Freak and Daisies of the Galaxy as recommendations for THE first album, and Souljacker should definitely be experienced at some point on the journey.

Thanks Skipper. Appreciate it. I shall have a dig about. Just think, if I lived in Salford you could make me a mix tape AND I could go see Palace get trounced at Old Trafford at the weekend. Ah well...

:D
    Mixtape there's an idea...... to get you going ;

Brilliant! Well done that thoroughly modern man. I shall wait for the work to cease and the sun to set and then get amongst it. Thanks so much.

• edited September 2017

Let this somewhat be our mantra:

Go and do the things you can’t. That is how you get to do them.
    (Pablo Picasso)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Shaken&;Stirred said:
    For suggestions, I found that one percussion sound, I'll call it the cowbell, distracting to my ears. I think if you're panned it to one side, it might sit better. the kick, snare and vocals are all Sitting in the center, and putting the cowbell there too might be too much. This particular thing reminds me of an Aerosmith song, might be a Walk the Way, but on that track, the ride cymbal bell is hit on eighth notes, and every time I hear it, it jumps out at me and distracts me so I can hear nothing else. ...and that song has done just fine, so take this FWIW. :)

>
    Yeah I get what you mean about the cowbell, all the Drums coming from the circuit which does not have pan....I have been building stuff that I could also perform live and trying not to do too much post production that cannot be done with the live stuff, this is great feedback for me to judge when I need to cross that line into post production trickery or by using a different (stereo) drum sound source.

As if by magic Novation release an update for Circuit that adds panning :)

• @DefRobot said:
    Sketched in Cubasis, then the skeleton was taken into the closet that is Auria, where the flesh, skin and heavy make up were applied.
    Soundcloud link and a first experiment with Lumafusion. It turned out a bit psychedelic.
    I wanted all my daughters in the video, but only my youngest finally bowed to pressure. The others were 'too busy' or 'having a bad hair day'. So I had to change the whole thing to include more of me :#

Dude I gotta say....I've had "It's impossible" trapped in my head since I listened, looks like the hook has worked for me ;)

• C'MON..... WHERE ARE YOU? Last Call for a slaughtering by vid. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ckp0gobp5ila1a5/Last Call Sep 2017.mp4?dl=0

• Soon. Not Quite Ready Yet.

I always straggle, but I always show up. Art can't be rushed you know...

• @Bluepunk said:
    C'MON..... WHERE ARE YOU? Last Call for a slaughtering by vid. :)

I've got my September B+, thank you! What's you brother's name? He looks dodgy. not sure I trust him.

• @richardyot said:
    Soon. Not Quite Ready Yet.

I always straggle, but I always show up. Art can't be rushed you know...

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:

@Bluepunk said:
    C'MON..... WHERE ARE YOU? Last Call for a slaughtering by vid. :)

I've got my September B+, thank you! What's you brother's name? He looks dodgy. not sure I trust him.

Yes, you'll be pushing for an A next month. He is dodgy but you can trust him... promise :)

• I'm done with a couple of days to spare... Can take it easy now for the rest of the month.

I'm hoping that this kind of dark, slow, and dreamlike sound isn't quite like anything else. It's a bit funereal sounding, but it's played at more or less the same tempo as Dancing Queen (it really is - 100bpm). No-one's going to be dancing to this one though...

I had some lyrical help from @JohnnyGoodyear who took a fragment of mine and turned it into an actual narrative, so I'm extremely grateful for that, as I wouldn't have been able to do what he did with what I had. Lyrics, as ever, in the spoiler.

She takes the pills to kill the pain
    She drinks the wine to drown the shame
    But feeling numb is no release
    the void there never feels like peace

She turns it over in her mind
    She hates herself for being blind
    But how could she guess he would lie
    And still he thinks she can't see why

He lied
    He knew she would believe it
    Inside
    He knew he wouldn't feel it
    He lied
    She fell for it completely
    Inside
    He feels so numb and empty

The thing she said, the last he heard
    And this was how she kept her word
    ‘No one will love you like I do’
    And now he sees how that was true

The lack of sadness quells her mind
    The leaving of love far behind
    And now she knows that he will lie
    That's how he is, and she knows why

She cried
    She knew he would believe it
    Inside
    she knew she wouldn't feel it
    She cried
    He fell for it completely
    Inside
    She feels his loss so sweetly

• @richardyot said:
    No-one's going to be dancing to this one though...

Now there's a challenge. We will see. :)

• @richardyot said:
    I'm done with a couple of days to spare... Can take it easy now for the rest of the month.

I'm hoping that this kind of dark, slow, and dreamlike sound isn't quite like anything else. It's a bit funereal sounding, but it's played at more or less the same tempo as Dancing Queen (it really is - 100bpm). No-one's going to be dancing to this one though...

I had some lyrical help from @JohnnyGoodyear who took a fragment of mine and turned it into an actual narrative, so I'm extremely grateful for that, as I wouldn't have been able to do what he did with what I had. Lyrics, as ever, in the spoiler.

She takes the pills to kill the pain
    She drinks the wine to drown the shame
    But feeling numb is no release
    the void there never feels like peace

She turns it over in her mind
    She hates herself for being blind
    But how could she guess he would lie
    And still he thinks she can't see why

He lied
    He knew she would believe it
    Inside
    He knew he wouldn't feel it
    He lied
    She fell for it completely
    Inside
    He feels so numb and empty

The thing she said, the last he heard
    And this was how she kept her word
    ‘No one will love you like I do’
    And now he sees how that was true

The lack of sadness quells her mind
    The leaving of love far behind
    And now she knows that he will lie
    That's how he is, and she knows why

She cried
    She knew he would believe it
    Inside
    she knew she wouldn't feel it
    She cried
    He fell for it completely
    Inside
    She feels his loss so sweetly

Feels very very Joy Division. Hope you don't feel suicidal as Ian Curtis thou.

• edited September 2017

@marcuspresident said:
    Feels very very Joy Division. Hope you don't feel suicidal as Ian Curtis thou.

Thanks for the listen. So much for wanting to sound original then :) I guess anything that sounds lugubrious is going to bring them to mind, but Ian Curtis never sang falsetto...

No risk of suicide, IRL I'm annoyingly cheery, I just happen to like the sadder songs.

• @richardyot The first thing that sprang to my mind on the intro was Gary Numan played by The Cure. The Chorused bass sound? - Throughout the song continued the Cure feel.
    Guitars were Brothers in Arms era Dire Straits.
    The soft drum sound works great for the song, what’s your source there?
    Vocals and melodies sounded like a band Called Love and Rockets who descended from Bauhaus. Very 80’s new wave.
    Felt like the vox could’ve been a bit brighter on the EQ. Or a bit further forward in the mix.
    Overall, the song has a great feel to it and is extremely re-playable. No cheesiness or annoying repetitiveness to it at all.

• @DefRobot thanks for the listen. I'm loving getting my hubris thrown back at me, I wanted to sound original and there's been 4 comparisons to 80s bands already :) I'm familiar with Love and Rockets from my past as a teenage goth (and the Cure of course too), and Dire Straits from my past as a less cool teenage square before that!

The drums was from a brush loop from Drum Loops HD (with the fills simply added manually in the Auria timeline), the bass is Zeeon (as is the main synth pad behind the vox). The guitar sound I was particularly chuffed with as that soft attack is unusual sounding (used the All Swell pedal in Tonestack for that) but I get that the slow playing might sound like Knopfler (I don't have his chops though).

• @richardyot Sounds perfectly danceable to me, in a slow 80's top of the pops "I am moving on the inside more than I am on the outside" sort of way.
    The overall arrangement works well....I like the guitar tone (and playing) too...TS can certainly provide some great tones.
    one negative I have is that during the falsetto there is something resonating which is distracting, can't decide if it is the vox or the Zeeon or both, ...I am listening on earbuds so maybe down to those so take with a pinch of salt.

• @richardyot said:
    I'm done with a couple of days to spare... Can take it easy now for the rest of the month.

Well this is obviously a hugely derivative eighties downtempo piece especially as regards the cheap 'trick in the tail' lyrics; who does that stuff anymore?

:)

I am going to recuse myself EXCEPT to reiterate Mister @DefRobot: Felt like the vox could’ve been a bit brighter on the EQ. Or a bit further forward in the mix. Precisely my sentiments. I too am a reverb-sucker Nurse, but I wish there was a way to have all the atmosphere it delivers while also keeping the voice up front. A perennial puzzle.

Music-wise, liked its constituent parts. Esp. guitar.

• Second round of reviews that lack ANY substance..... sorry for that! Also apologise if I've missed anyone out, and if so please let me know before 17.30 hrs Saturday as a game of huge proportions is due to begin....Thanks. Feeling the love for this alcatel PIXI now. It has a mind of its own, works intermittently and possesses caverns full of character. Still a bastard of a thing mind you. :)

• @Bluepunk said:
    Missed out on him first time around and now beginning to understand what all the fuss was/is about.

Neil Young is probably the only one of the Laurel Canyon mob who did not either burn out, sell out or fade away. If you fancy hearing it, here’s link to what I think is in his top five songs, yet least played.

Cortez the Killer

https://youtu.be/ijrkKNZRIfM

• @Bluepunk said:
    Second round of reviews that lack ANY substance..... sorry for that! Also apologise if I've missed anyone out, and if so please let me know before 17.30 hrs Saturday as a game of huge proportions is due to begin....Thanks. Feeling the love for this alcatel PIXI now. It has a mind of its own, works intermittently and possesses caverns full of character. Still a bastard of a thing mind you. :)

A small film unto itself. LOVED the Meerkat metaphor. Yes you're full of undigested and mad cool beans, but boy you pack a lot of references and allusions into a very small package (nurse). I'm guessing that only those of us who fiddle with video know how much time this kind of (seemingly) effortless production takes. And that's not including the costume changes....

B+ :)

• @Bluepunk said:
    Second round of reviews that lack ANY substance..... sorry for that! Also apologise if I've missed anyone out, and if so please let me know before 17.30 hrs Saturday as a game of huge proportions is due to begin....Thanks. Feeling the love for this alcatel PIXI now. It has a mind of its own, works intermittently and possesses caverns full of character. Still a bastard of a thing mind you. :)

Definitely Red........Scouse Red :) Manc by personal adoption for the last 12 years, originally from Surrey (which is even further from Liverpool.....blame Kevin Keegan for that one).

Love these reviews man, you are definitely mad as a box of frogs....
    The ties...still giggling now :D

Oh, and do these Judges not know the service you are doing for the local community already by saving them having to go down the docks themselves ?