Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Navichord-Fresh Update Available 11/01/17

@Navichord i'm currently putting together an AB3 One Man Band preset and while trying out Navichord as a midi sender along side the midiflow keyboard in AB3, i discovered an awesome feature that i truly hope can be implemented in Navichord.

Here it is:

When loading Presets From the Navichord menu, is it possible to load a preset and have the option to have it "Auto Play" instead of having to click the play transport?

My OMB AB3 preset is all about creating a song in realtime with the least amount of setup and hassle of app switching. So far, Navichord is working soooo awesome! I am so in love with it and it's such an amazing tool alongside with Midiflow keyboard which both on the iPhone work flawlessly inside AB3.

@Navichord is there a chance that you could program this into Navichord?

Even sweeter would be the ability to Select the Navichord presets via the AB3 remote for instant Pattern switching! It would serve almost as a Navichord Song Mode per se. Because one can have up to 16 bars of a progression going and with Ableton Link the patterns play in perfect Sync. So one pattern could be a verse, chorus, etc!

I imagine switching these via the AB remote app!

Thank you so much for such an awesome app! Navichord is proving to be such an indispensable app in my OMB AB3 preset.

MM4C

Comments

• @MusicMan4Christ thanks, many people ask for the song mode. Official announcement - song mode is in works! I didn't consider AB remote for switching between progressions, but that would be a nice feature. Probably AB remote support will not be supported initially, but added later. I will share more details when I have something to show!

• WOW! Just got the update, and thought oh boy, i never ever got a response sooooo fast! But i thank you so much though for acknowledging my request for a Song Mode. I feel this is going to send Navichord over the top!

I updated my IOS App Store review! 5 rocking stars!!!

Right now, just during my lunch time, I was tweaking my One Man Band AB3 preset and Navichord is at the heart of it. It is sending Chord data to Moog Model 15, Groovebox Poly 8 and Beathawk's and Infinite Synths pads.

On the iPhone and iPad both are different as some synth apps are not universal. But so far, AB3 has truly opened up the sky with all the midi config and Link, and the drum apps, so now all I'm doing is creating the easiest song making experience for me on IOS.

Can't wait for SONG mode and also for AB3 remote! Gonna rock big time, and again thanks!

@Navichord said:
    @MusicMan4Christ thanks, many people ask for the song mode. Official announcement - song mode is in works! I didn't consider AB remote for switching between progressions, but that would be a nice feature. Probably AB remote support will not be supported initially, but added later. I will share more details when I have something to show!

• @Navichord said:
    @MusicMan4Christ thanks, many people ask for the song mode. Official announcement - song mode is in works! I didn't consider AB remote for switching between progressions, but that would be a nice feature. Probably AB remote support will not be supported initially, but added later. I will share more details when I have something to show!

Good to hear, I'm another fan of your app, thanks for the update looking forward to future developments.

• Could you share your AB preset?
    :)

• I will but I'm tweaking it as best as possible. I'll make a demo song too but I'll also try to do a video which I'm not great at. But it's really coming along!

• edited August 2017

Great news on the navichord update tonight - and thanks for the addition of the dom7 category.

One minor change to consider - is maybe upper-casing the first letter of every chord beginning with Major. ( or Maj ) because this is common practice - upper case M for Major lower case m for minor. Such things tend to make reading chords a lot more intuitive.

• @MusicMan4Christ I consider you to be the torch bearer de luxe here for this fine app and thus must bother you with two horribly simple questions:

When running through a preset pattern how does one change the 'numbers' in the little boxes to match how long you want that particular chord to run for? I know, I'm sure it's amazingly easy, but I have been prodding at it with all kinds of sticks and am no wiser...Secondly, is there a way to turn OFF the automatic playing? When I hit record in AS or elsewhere it just starts playing through the chords I have set up, rather than allowing me to play with my usual clumsy feeling...any insights?

• Hey thanks man! I really enjoy this amazing app, the best purchase ever and worth every cent!

To change the number or how long it plays, tap on the little edit box on the very left bottom of the screen, right under the STOP hand, which i think it actually stands for hold, this is on iphone on ipad not sure as im non iphone right now, then once you do that, a new screen pops up and you can there select which box to edit, then on the very far right screen are numbers, just scroll them up or down to select how long to have it play. You can also test it there, and once done, just hit close. Hope this helps you brotha!

Oh, try disabling Link, that. Might get it to not auto start, but not sure, need to try it.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @MusicMan4Christ I consider you to be the torch bearer de luxe here for this fine app and thus must bother you with two horribly simple questions:

When running through a preset pattern how does one change the 'numbers' in the little boxes to match how long you want that particular chord to run for? I know, I'm sure it's amazingly easy, but I have been prodding at it with all kinds of sticks and am no wiser...Secondly, is there a way to turn OFF the automatic playing? When I hit record in AS or elsewhere it just starts playing through the chords I have set up, rather than allowing me to play with my usual clumsy feeling...any insights?

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Hey thanks man! I really enjoy this amazing app, the best purchase ever and worth every cent!

To change the number or how long it plays, tap on the little edit box on the very left bottom of the screen, right under the STOP hand, which i think it actually stands for hold, this is on iphone on ipad not sure as im non iphone right now, then once you do that, a new screen pops up and you can there select which box to edit, then on the very far right screen are numbers, just scroll them up or down to select how long to have it play. You can also test it there, and once done, just hit close. Hope this helps you brotha!

Oh, try disabling Link, that. Might get it to not auto start, but not sure, need to try it.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @MusicMan4Christ I consider you to be the torch bearer de luxe here for this fine app and thus must bother you with two horribly simple questions:

Very generous answer Padre, I appreciate it muchly.

• No worries General :)
    Navichord is really amazing even more than ever!
    Gonna send some chords to Zeeon Synth but will have to wait when I get on iPad! :D

• Wait what?! What will this song mode consist of @Navichord? 46 more chord types holy shit, thank you

• @MusicMan4Christ ... I am very intrigued by your post. I do a lot of one man band stuff, and am always looking for new things to implement. I use ChordPolyPad quite often for chords. I have been messing with Dreamfoot and Blueboard recently, which is quite nice too. Ive always enjoyed Chordbot, but it's not quite there and sounds too MIDI. But for whatever reason I always skip over Navichord...its never appeared as a friendly chord tool to me. I've backed my finger away from pressing "BUY" many times. Now I read you post about some sort of automated AB3 Preset, and I am very interested. Could you give a case for why I should buy this app, and maybe elaborate more on this process you describe as a One-man band tool? Thanks in advance brother...

• Sure man no worries :)

I'm working on this OMB preset cause there's times that I wanna make a rock song and by the time I set things up it's gone. I come from mostly creating songs using Arranger keyboards like the Korg i30 or Yamaha Tyros which you are way too expensive and heavy.

This is what made me work on something easier and portable. AB3 and Link have opened up a whole new playing field and although it's still at its infancy it has so much future!

My OMB preset is simple. Navichord and Midiflow keyboards on iPhone and on IPad. Moog Model 15 has amazing sounding Bass patch and Arp system. So I created some Arps in Model15 to randomize that Bass track still workin progress as I haven't figured out how to switch Arps on the fly with a midi controller or via midi CC. But having a cool Bass sounding Arp that is being chord controlled by Navichord or Midiflow keyboard is awesome! So say I got a rock song I wanna lay down in one pass in the key of G Major , the Arp will sound great no matter what key I go to be it C or D or Em. But that's only the Bass track, now with Beathawk's awesome pads and other sounds, I have it playing the Chord teack, based on whatever chord I'm at while the Bass is playing. Follow me?

For Drums I have Ruismaker in full mode so that the Eucledian sequencer does its amazing thing or Funk Drummer which for now is my main go to drums as I've spent enough time to tweak it and understand it better. Plus, it truly feels like a real drummer is playing along while I play Bass and Chord Track simultaneously.

This is the heart of my OMB preset. Bass, Chords, and Drums and lead. What I truly love about Navichord is that once you create a cool chord progression, you can then play a cool lead over it where desired.

When Navichord's song mode arrives it will open up everything even more cause you can create the chord progression for an intro, verse, bridge chorus etc!

I believe this app it's totally worth every cent spent and more! It has one of the best old timer Developer, who faithfully comes and listens and delivers!

That to me is worth the price of admission!

There are other little tweaks that need to be done for the preset to work like setting up split points with Midiflow splitter, also transposing so the Bass to Model15 only hears the Bass notes and other little tweaks inside Model15 Arps.

Other than that it's just a simple basic template that you can add to if desired.

For me, I just wanna open up AB3 and have it recall the whole enchilada in one tap! AB3 is awesome for that and it works!

I'll be posting the preset soon.

@Scottzilla82 said:
    @MusicMan4Christ ... I am very intrigued by your post. I do a lot of one man band stuff, and am always looking for new things to implement. I use ChordPolyPad quite often for chords. I have been messing with Dreamfoot and Blueboard recently, which is quite nice too. Ive always enjoyed Chordbot, but it's not quite there and sounds too MIDI. But for whatever reason I always skip over Navichord...its never appeared as a friendly chord tool to me. I've backed my finger away from pressing "BUY" many times. Now I read you post about some sort of automated AB3 Preset, and I am very interested. Could you give a case for why I should buy this app, and maybe elaborate more on this process you describe as a One-man band tool? Thanks in advance brother...

• Secondly, is there a way to turn OFF the automatic playing? When I hit record in AS or elsewhere it just starts playing through the chords I have set up, rather than allowing me to play with my usual clumsy feeling...any insights?

Not possible today (to my knowledge at least, maybe @MusicMan4Christ will find a way ;). This this is on my radar, eventually I will add an option to disable external transport controls.

@MusicMan4Christ, I'm also curious about your OMB workflow, do you use AB presets for song parts? Audiobus can save full state from Navichord including current chord progression.This way you could create song parts as separate AB presets, and then switch between them. Do oyu Is there a way to midi map AB presets?

@Scottzilla82, you can use external controller with Navichord for chord changes - but not for preset changes (not yet ;))

• Ha thanks! :D

I wish AB3 was more immediate but if you load another preset depending on the complexity of the preset it could break things, well at least my iPad Air 1 is not to the task anymore as it's showing its age but still holding faithfully. :'(

But that's why I kept my preset very simple for now as my Air 1 can run it smoothly while rocking away!

I wish I could do a video of this but I have no time. What I love is how I can remote start all the apps at once, like Ruismaker drums or Funk Drummer in Song Mode which adds a lot of order to all the chaos going on! Not in a bad way but all the midi being sent around and chordbswitching and stuff.

I'll do a short audio demo to give an idea of what I'm talking about.

As far as I know o don't think there a way to midi learn the AB3 presets.

If you could have Navichord be able to midi learn the preset changes that would truly rock!
    Because you loading is instant and in realtime that is gold!

Just make it Auto start when it loads to not have to press play as that defeats the purpose of realtime OMB playing. Hope it makes sense. Thanks so much for your input and for this awesome app!

@Navichord said:

Secondly, is there a way to turn OFF the automatic playing? When I hit record in AS or elsewhere it just starts playing through the chords I have set up, rather than allowing me to play with my usual clumsy feeling...any insights?

Not possible today (to my knowledge at least, maybe @MusicMan4Christ will find a way ;). This this is on my radar, eventually I will add an option to disable external transport controls.

@MusicMan4Christ, I'm also curious about your OMB workflow, do you use AB presets for song parts? Audiobus can save full state from Navichord including current chord progression.This way you could create song parts as separate AB presets, and then switch between them. Do oyu Is there a way to midi map AB presets?

@Scottzilla82, you can use external controller with Navichord for chord changes - but not for preset changes (not yet ;))

• @db909 said:
    What will this song mode consist of @Navichord?

It will allow to store several progressions per preset + a way to switch between them.

In near future I should be able show early implementation.
    If interested, please send a message from your AppleID email to navichord+songmode at gmail.com, I will add you to Testflight.
    Everyone form this thread invited :)

• Awesome! Count me in! ;) :) <3

• Not to throw you off the scent because I think Navichord is brilliant have you tried Chord Suggester which has Mini in and out and let's you play and loop selected chords. Makes splitting a keyboard up easy. Ok no AB3 as yet but used with MF Adaptor works a treat. Just my 3 pennies you can't have enough chord learn apps to give you options.

Suggester by Mathieu Routhier
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/suggester/id504740787?mt=8

• Thanks bro I have it and it's good too. But Navichord I love more cause I can play chords realtime plus melody on a single screen. For making a song from start to finish in one pass, and for OMB live playing it's gold!

• @nonchai said:
    Great news on the navichord update tonight - and thanks for the addition of the dom7 category.

One minor change to consider - is maybe upper-casing the first letter of every chord beginning with Major. ( or Maj ) because this is common practice - upper case M for Major lower case m for minor. Such things tend to make reading chords a lot more intuitive.

Thanks!

Do you mean the capital M for maj7 , maj9, maj13?
    I use this website for reference - they say maj7 is standard name and M7 is non-standard - https://www.scales-chords.com/chord/piano/CM7
    Besides, other software also doesn't use capitals for major - http://www.pgmusic.com/tutorial_chordlist.htm

• edited September 2017

@Navichord said:

Do you mean the capital M for maj7 , maj9, maj13?
    I use this website for reference - they say maj7 is standard name and M7 is non-standard - https://www.scales-chords.com/chord/piano/CM7

Hmmm - yes you have a point. Band In A box - a major app used by all kinds of musicians - jazz included - however displays its Major chords displayed in the arranger window with capitals. But in their documentation of all the chords supported - it - as you say uses lower case.

So it might be a matter of taste. But I like anything possible to help easily quickly pick ( or recognise ) the right chord. I find any visual clue helps.

biab.png 335.3K
  • edited September 2017

Actually one common alternative occurrence in chord lead sheets is to use a triangle for major and a hyphen for minor. This reference here is quite good:

https://tamingthesaxophone.com/jazz-chord-symbols

• @nonchai said:
    FYI :)

Thanks for the links, very much appreciated.
    I've used this list as reference from your another post, very useful indeed :smile:

No prob at all to do maj->Maj.

Changing to jazz symbols is more tricky and should be optional in my view, as some people (like me) are not familiar with triangles :smile: I'll keep it on my radar.

• but no need to have all those horrid long-winded chordnames in the above chart (dominant 7ths and suspended 5th ones ) . its a BIAB thing for reference only.

I'd say the previous picture i posted from tamingthesaxophone is a much more accurate and compact list of the chords one typically comes across on a regular basis in session or jazz type work. :)

• Almost done with the AB3 OMB preset. I had to recreate it on my iPad cause I was using Moog Model15 to do the Bass and Zeeon for the leads and pads but my poor Air 1 crashed and messed up my AB3 OMB preset :s
    But I sent my iPhone version and recreated it and removed Model 15 and I actually think it was for the better! I am using Addictive Pro AU and the Arps are amazingly playing the Bass part so much better!!! And less CPU resources used too. Well for the Bass I'm using a single Arp and Max 2. I really like that Addictive Pro synth lets you change Arps on the fly and the screen remains open to select different variations of the Bass Arps and thus creating a more realistic Bass track in realtime!

Surprised that Zeeon is running amazingly well on my Air1. I did increase the buffer in AB3 to 1024 but i don't notice any latency at all! Surprised!

Well, at home I used my external mini midi 32 key controller so i created a preset for using that. Worked a treat with splitting using AB Midiflow splitter!

I'll try to reco d a video tomorrow and post it. If not I'll just post the preset. This is when I really wish my Air 1 had more RAM but it's working great maxed out but I can get Drums, Bass, Pads and lead going all at once in realtime! Wow! Amazing times!

@Scottzilla82 said:
    @MusicMan4Christ ... I am very intrigued by your post. I do a lot of one man band stuff, and am always looking for new things to implement. I use ChordPolyPad quite often for chords. I have been messing with Dreamfoot and Blueboard recently, which is quite nice too. Ive always enjoyed Chordbot, but it's not quite there and sounds too MIDI. But for whatever reason I always skip over Navichord...its never appeared as a friendly chord tool to me. I've backed my finger away from pressing "BUY" many times. Now I read you post about some sort of automated AB3 Preset, and I am very interested. Could you give a case for why I should buy this app, and maybe elaborate more on this process you describe as a One-man band tool? Thanks in advance brother...

• a feature request : the simple Major chord is currenly only three notes in the chord- inversion grid for obvious reasons - but there are times hen having four notes available 9 doubling up one of the thee triad notes ) would be really useful for examplw when wanting to put a non-root chord note in the bass.

also as said before it would be good to be able to have a seoerate bass part that gets sent out over midi with a root, independent of the chord structure.

• @nonchai said:
    a feature request : the simple Major chord is currenly only three notes in the chord- inversion grid for obvious reasons - but there are times hen having four notes available 9 doubling up one of the thee triad notes ) would be really useful for examplw when wanting to put a non-root chord note in the bass.

also as said before it would be good to be able to have a seoerate bass part that gets sent out over midi with a root, independent of the chord structure.

this reminds me of a feature I would love to see

@Navichord
    We can now send different columns of the chord matrix to different midi channels or diffferent instruments.
    What I have often wanted to do for a while in Navichord is send different rows of that chord matrix to different channels, or better even, send the lowest note of each chord to one midi channel and the highest note to a different channel or different instrument. So that the highest note is always played by a violin for example and the lowest always routed to a bass instrument.
    would this functionality be possible to add?

• @Navichord
    We can now send different columns of the chord matrix to different midi channels or diffferent instruments.
    What I have often wanted to do for a while in Navichord is send different rows of that chord matrix to different channels, or better even, send the lowest note of each chord to one midi channel and the highest note to a different channel or different instrument. So that the highest note is always played by a violin for example and the lowest always routed to a bass instrument.

unless i read you wrong, i think some of what you want can already be done as long as you are using NAVICHORD inside AudioBus3 in the MIDI page.

• @nonchai said:

@Navichord

unless i read you wrong, i think some of what you want can already be done as long as you are using NAVICHORD inside AudioBus3 in the MIDI page.

hi, thanks for considering this, I'll try to explain abit better -- what Navichord's voices option in AB3 do is that the instruments are sent to columns 1, 2, 3 etc of the Navichord chord grid. so the first note in the chord will always be one instrument, the second note another etc.
    But that is not taking into account how high that note is. So for example if the chord is inverted etc, it would be cool if the highest note always goes to the same instrument, and the lowest note to one other instrument

of course, this would only work with chord progression, not with free playing, unless the implementation would be to have rows of the chord grid play out to different instruments. Then the user could choose to have the two bottom rows go to a bass for example and the top one or two to a flute.

Does this make sense?