Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there an app for making Carter USM style bass lines?

Hi all

I am looking for a bass app that can help me produce Carter USM-like bass lines like this one.
Is there one, preferably stand alone with build in sequencer and ableton link so I can link it to patterning?

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Erik

Comments

• That's just a slap bass, unless I'm missing your point. You can use samples, soundfonts, garageband, cubasis, gadget with madrid, I really think there's no shortage of options for such a common and unsophisticated sound

• When you say "help" me do you mean autogenerate Bass patterns? I had asked for something like this but unfortunately there's no such app yet, however, there may be a dev willing to create one but none so far :(

@erikb1971 said:
    Hi all

I am looking for a bass app that can help me produce Carter USM- like bass lines like this one.
    Is there one, preferably stand alone with build in sequencer and ableton link so I can link it to patterning?

Erik

• @pedro said:
    That's just a slap bass, unless I'm missing your point. You can use samples, soundfonts, garageband, cubasis, gadget with madrid, I really think there's no shortage of options for such a common and unsophisticated sound

I was actually hoping for a standalone app, with build in sequencer... true it's not very unsophisticated, but then again... so aren't I ;-)

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    When you say "help" me do you mean autogenerate Bass patterns? I had asked for something like this but unfortunately there's no such app yet, however, there may be a dev willing to create one but none so far :(

@erikb1971 said:
    Hi all

I am looking for a bass app that can help me produce Carter USM- like bass lines like this one.

Erik

Bass pattern generating would be interesting, but not what I am looking for. Right now I am looking for a bass synth with build in sequencer and some unsophisticated sounds ;-)

• Did Bassline ever get Link?

It would eat a track but you could also make this with a bass sample and single track in patterning by using the tuning parameter.

• Yep. It's geared towards acid bass but can make a pretty wide range of sounds.

BassLine - Analog Modeling Synthesizer by Markus Waldboth
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bassline-analog-modeling-synthesizer/id298147000?mt=8

• Wow this Bass app looks really intersting, there's even a bundle deal with the Modrum machine. Well, anyone know if this is going to survive through IOS 11?

@syrupcore said:
    Yep. It's geared towards acid bass but can make a pretty wide range of sounds.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bassline-analog-modeling-synthesizer/id298147000?mt=8

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Wow this Bass app looks really intersting, there's even a bundle deal with the Modrum machine. Well, anyone know if this is going to survive through IOS 11?

@syrupcore said:

It should be fine. It does not show up on the MARKED FOR DEATH LIST in About: Applications

• edited August 2017

Another, probably less attractive possibility would be to use a pair of apps for the bass—one for the sound, one for the sequencing. Think iFretless is considered the king of the realistic bass sample set on iOS but it doesn't have a sequencer. Thumbjam has a decent set to start with and you can add your own as well. Not sure about SampleTank's set. Then, any old MIDI sequencer with Link should do the trick though. midiSteps is nice one.

Something simple like FunkBox might also work to sequence the bass (and hook you up with some more drum sounds/channels in the process). Funkbox has a 'Bass line synth' MIDI part built in which aims to solve for your exact situation. It's a brilliant addition because it's a really common scenario—maybe we'll see something like it one day in Patterning.

Actually, you can sequence an external synth/app from a single track in Patterning but it's a bit fiddly compared to Funkbox or other sequencers. The main advantage (and it's possibly a big one if Patterning is your sort of 'master' app): when you change patterns in Patterning, the bass line can change with it.

How to do it in Patterning:

1. Pick a track to be your bass line. Pick a higher track because you want as much vertical room as possible for setting notes
    2. Go to File->MIDI Configuration and set that track's MIDI output to On
    3. Tap into the now lit track name with the arrow on the right and go and set a low root note. Like C2 or preferably the root note that works for your tune. This is important because Patterning only allows for +/- one octave via Coarse Tune.
    4. Speaking of... After setting the note to a bass range, turn on 'Course Tune ---> Pitch' just below there. This is how you set notes.
    5. Adjust the MIDI channel/Port if needed
    6. Close out the config
    7. Go to your bass app (iFretless, Thumbjam, ...) and make sure it's set to listen Patterning's MIDI port and the MIDI channel matches (if required)
    8. Back to patterning... Select your bass track in the Pattern view
    9. Edit the sample—either load a silent sample or drag the main waveform down to silence it. Close the sample editor.
    10. Tap the pencil in the top right and edit away. Velocity does what you expect and Coarse Tune sets the pitch offset from whatever root note you selected in MIDI Config. This is the fiddliest part and why you want to set that root note to the main note of your bassline if possible (and use taller tracks!).

You may have to mess with the step duration and number of steps to get bass rhythms that include things other than 16th notes.

• @syrupcore On Bassline, is it possible to change the key the bass pattern is playing on the fly in realtime?

• +1 for carter usm (that name alone got me to open this thread)

Who, without a doubt, get the award in my music collection for "most over-the-top constant use of a drum machine crash cymbal" ;)

(Some of their tracks are among my lifetime favorites)

:)

• edited August 2017

@syrupcore said:
    Did Bassline ever get Link?

It would eat a track but you could also make this with a bass sample and single track in patterning by using the tuning parameter.

@syrupcore said:

that really looks like the one... thanks a lot!

• @syrupcore said:
    Another, probably less attractive possibility would be to use a pair of apps for the bass—one for the sound, one for the sequencing. Think iFretless is considered the king of the realistic bass sample set on iOS but it doesn't have a sequencer. Thumbjam has a decent set to start with and you can add your own as well. Not sure about SampleTank's set. Then, any old MIDI sequencer with Link should do the trick though. midiSteps is nice one.

Something simple like FunkBox might also work to sequence the bass (and hook you up with some more drum sounds/channels in the process). Funkbox has a 'Bass line synth' MIDI part built in which aims to solve for your exact situation. It's a brilliant addition because it's a really common scenario—maybe we'll see something like it one day in Patterning.

Actually, you can sequence an external synth/app from a single track in Patterning but it's a bit fiddly compared to Funkbox or other sequencers. The main advantage (and it's possibly a big one if Patterning is your sort of 'master' app): when you change patterns in Patterning, the bass line can change with it.

1. Pick a track to be your bass line. Pick a higher track because you want as much vertical room as possible for setting notes
    3. Tap into the now lit track name with the arrow on the right and go and set a low root note. Like C2 or preferably the root note that works for your tune. This is important because Patterning only allows for +/- one octave via Coarse Tune.
    4. Speaking of... After setting the note to a bass range, turn on 'Course Tune ---> Pitch' just below there. This is how you set notes.
    6. Close out the config
    7. Go to your bass app (iFretless, Thumbjam, ...) and make sure it's set to listen Patterning's MIDI port and the MIDI channel matches (if required)
    9. Edit the sample—either load a silent sample or drag the main waveform down to silence it. Close the sample editor.
    10. Tap the pencil in the top right and edit away. Velocity does what you expect and Coarse Tune sets the pitch offset from whatever root note you selected in MIDI Config. This is the fiddliest part and why you want to set that root note to the main note of your bassline if possible (and use taller tracks!).

You may have to mess with the step duration and number of steps to get bass rhythms that include things other than 16th notes.

Wow.. thanks a lot for this! Will be looking into this one night after I did not encounter two huge eagle spotted rays while snorkelling! But awesome trick and explanation!

• @Junebug said:
    +1 for carter usm (that name alone got me to open this thread)

Who, without a doubt, get the award in my music collection for "most over-the-top constant use of a drum machine crash cymbal" ;)

(Some of their tracks are among my lifetime favorites)

Hehe... was listening to Birlly's smart circus this afternoon and thought exactly the same thing!

• MEMORY RETURNING! This had made my day :)

In 1992 (don't believe the hype), I sussed this exact question as I was listening NON STOP to "1992 the love album" and I set out with my buddy and fellow producer to FIND THAT BASS SOUND so WE could use it, too ;)

And we did! We found the exact patch that is on SO MANY CARTER TRACKS!

ROLAND S-50 WHISKERS BASS is the exact preset and where it comes from (I am 99.9% sure that this is correct, but I do not know Jim Bob or Fruitbat personally, so there is always the chance I am wrong).

The S-50 is a low quality MONO SAMPLER, not a SYNTH - and...... HERE IT IS!!!

I've uploaded the actual Whiskers Bass .WAV to my dropbox so you guys can download and use it to make Carter usm basslines by loading it into a sampler. It is tuned to C.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ffv18nqk65oar5i/Roland_S-50_Whiskers_Bass-C.wav?dl=0

(I hope the download works, it is my first attempt at sharing a public download link from dropbox...)
    ENJOY!!!!!!!
    Dean
    (The only Living Boy in Sun Valley)

• @pedro said:
    That's just a slap bass, unless I'm missing your point...

no way, that's a Precision Bass played with a pick
    may sound simple, but it's quite an expressive instrument - really hard to emulate ;)
    btw the title mislead me into thinking it was about Ron Carter, who plays an upright Villaume bass with a phantastic tone.

• @erikb1971 said:

@syrupcore said:

6. Close out the config

Wow.. thanks a lot for this! Will be looking into this one night after I did not encounter two huge eagle spotted rays while snorkelling! But awesome trick and explanation!

Nice snorkeling trip! The steps read longer than they actually take.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    @syrupcore On Bassline, is it possible to change the key the bass pattern is playing on the fly in realtime?

Sorry, I don't remember and no longer have it installed.

• @Junebug said:
    MEMORY RETURNING! This had made my day :)

In 1992 (don't believe the hype), I sussed this exact question as I was listening NON STOP to "1992 the love album" and I set out with my buddy and fellow producer to FIND THAT BASS SOUND so WE could use it, too ;)

ROLAND S-50 WHISKERS BASS is the exact preset and where it comes from (I am 99.9% sure that this is correct, but I do not know Jim Bob or Fruitbat personally, so there is always the chance I am wrong).

I've uploaded the actual Whiskers Bass .WAV to my dropbox so you guys can download and use it to make Carter usm basslines by loading it into a sampler. It is tuned to C.

(I hope the download works, it is my first attempt at sharing a public download link from dropbox...)
    ENJOY!!!!!!!
    Dean

^ Proof the Internet doesn't completely suck. Nice find and share! I'd just load this in Patterning as a sample and get on with the fun.

• My band in the 90s toured with these guys in America. Jim Bob and Fruitbat: excellent, excellent humans. And yes, a lot of digital crash symbols!

• @Junebug said:

ENJOY!!!!!!!
    Dean

Which C?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    My band in the 90s toured with these guys in America. Jim Bob and Fruitbat: excellent, excellent humans. And yes, a lot of digital crash symbols!

Cool!

• @Junebug said:

ENJOY!!!!!!!
    Dean

Awesome! Thanks a lot! That does indeed sounds an awfull lot like a lot of their bass sounds!