Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sample synthesis

Just wondering if there is any way of doing this kind of thing on iOS (basically taking a sample and changing it in a multitude of different ways to make new sounds). The video below is Simpler in Ableton Live:

I think maybe Nanostudio might be able to do similar things, although as it's on its way out it might not be the most future-proof option. Can Beatmaker 3 do this kind of thing?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited August 2017

Yes, with Beatmaker 3 you can do all kinds of things like this. You can build multiple layer synths using any kind of sample. It's not really what it's made for, but totally works and is fun to boot.

• Beatmaker3

• Thanks. Just found this video from @gmslayton that seems to confirm that Beatmaker 3 does what I'm looking for:

• edited August 2017
  • @richardyot said:

I've been hoping you would get sufficiently immersed/well-versed with BM3 that you would make some tips-and-tricks stuff as you have so well for Auria...

• edited August 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:

I've been hoping you would get sufficiently immersed/well-versed with BM3 that you would make some tips-and-tricks stuff as you have so well for Auria...

I don't own BM3 (yet). I guess one of the reasons I know Auria quite well is that I try and limit my app buying :) (with limited success I'll be the first to admit).

@BiancaNeve I didn't know Synthscaper could do that - something to look into, thanks!

• @wim said:
    Yes, with Beatmaker 3 you can do all kinds of things like this. You can build multiple layer synths using any kind of sample. It's not really what it's made for, but totally works and is fun to boot.

Like he said!

Also:

White noise, envelope (short attack), stubbornness and time will get you far.

• I've bought BM3 and so far it's looking good. Took a sample of a female soprano, reversed it, pitched it down, and now it sounds like a cello. Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Just need a bit of time to grok the interface and workflow.

• edited August 2017

Nice video @gmslayton.

Yeah, think this is still one of Nanostudio's sweet spots but like you said, it ain't long for this earth. Whenever v2 drops, it will most likely be the answer. BM2/3 don't have nearly the same amount of synthesis options to apply to the sample.

• @syrupcore said:
    Nice video @gmslayton.

Yeah, think this is still one of Nanostudio's sweet spots but like you said, it ain't long for this earth. Whenever v2 drops, it will most likely be the answer. BM2/3 don't have nearly the same amount of synthesis options to apply to the sample.

I really don't know NS well enough to compare them, but BM3 has some nice options, I especially like the fact you can modulate most things. I'll definitely buy NS2 when it finally appears though.

Anyway this seems a really cool approach to sound design, you can create some really interesting and unique sounds from the most surprising sources. Most synths just aren't as interesting as this my ears - every patch you hear in iMini or even Model 15 just sounds like stuff we've all heard a million times before, but with samples you can do really creative things to sounds.

• I'm gonna go with the unpopular opinion, and tell you that what you need, first and foremost, is a good sampler, and nothing beats BM3 on iOS, atm.

• BM3 is the live logic hybrid on iOS. This can absolutely do this and then some more

• edited August 2017

Alert: Shameless self promotion, hopefully in the form of "I agree that this is a really fun path to synthesis. Here's an example I made".

All of the sounds in this are cut+synthesized from the 'Mobile Phones' sample included with NS1 (skip to the very end it to hear it first if you like). Drums, bass, pads... all of it made using the sort of techniques shown in the Ableton video. Unlike Ableton (and BM3), NS1 doesn't have a visual way to select a particular portion of the sample to use so it's all sort of winged with an XY pad set to sample start offset and loop length. Well, you can visually select a chunk of the waveform with destructive editing but you can't hear how it sounds in context. Anyway...

• well done, nice balance of tone with good low mid representation (which often is the first that gets eaten up by digital processes) :+1:

• thanks for posting that track @syrupcore, it's very cool and a great demonstration of the sound design potential of a sampler.