Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation AudioHUB 2x4 Sound Interface Perfect for iPad │ EPIC Review and Guide - haQ attaQ 237

As a mobile musician using an iPad as my main music production platform, Investing in a Novation AudioHUB 2x4 is one of the best things I've ever done. Check out this full EPIC review and guide to find out why this sound interface is perfect for iPad! Especially if you're like me, using or are planning on using multiple USB gear for your mobile music production platform.

haQattaQ

Comments

• Love my Novation Audiohub.

I stick 3 Anker Usb hubs in so I can connect up to 12 midi devices to the ipad.

Awesome stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-4-Port-Ultra-Drives-Devices/dp/B00Y25XFGK

• I think I'm the only wierdo that used the audiohub for years but prefers ny ica4+ for daily use lol. My audiohub is my backup unit when I can't carry my Ica4+ with me. Also one interesting trick with it is with the usb3 cck if you plug in a battery bank to it you can actually power the audiohub without needing the mains adapter. The USB ports don't work this way but you have a portable interface for recording stuff like volcas if you want....

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Love my Novation Audiohub.

Awesome stuff.

Pretty crazy! How many units are do you have connected at the most?

I'm trying to stay away from extra hubs, so I really like the AudioHUB solution.

But since I have no 5-pin midi connector I thought I'd try connecting the iRig MIDI 2 and it works. Don't like the extra dongle but it works if I ever need it.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    I think I'm the only wierdo that used the audiohub for years but prefers ny ica4+ for daily use lol. My audiohub is my backup unit when I can't carry my Ica4+ with me. Also one interesting trick with it is with the usb3 cck if you plug in a battery bank to it you can actually power the audiohub without needing the mains adapter. The USB ports don't work this way but you have a portable interface for recording stuff like volcas if you want....

Wow, thanks for the batteryhack trick! I'll try it out! :smile:

• not ideal for guitarists though

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    Love my Novation Audiohub.

Awesome stuff.

Pretty crazy! How many units are do you have connected at the most?

I'm trying to stay away from extra hubs, so I really like the AudioHUB solution.

But since I have no 5-pin midi connector I thought I'd try connecting the iRig MIDI 2 and it works. Don't like the extra dongle but it works if I ever need it.

Usually at least 8 midi Devices connected but only used when needed.

Another X-Station 61, Beatstep and FCB1010 out of picture.

AUM midi matrix is the cornerstone along with the Audiohub.

• I've had the audiohub for years as a playback device for pc, works great. I was about to becof the lack of inputs, but now I realise how nicely and handy it can work with iOS, I will keep it. What do you guys use to record audio with it? Especially guitar and mic? A small mixer? A channel strip? Any not too expensive tips?

• @jakoB_haQ said:

OH SNAP!!
    That is the MISSING LINK for me - RIGHT THERE!

The iRig MIDI 2 :) :)
    Thanks for the tip, @jakoB_haQ

I just ordered one to use to connect my Ultranova and MIDI drum controllers to the Audiohub so I can get more things talking to more things.

Doing the happy dance now :#

• @crifytosp said:
    not ideal for guitarists though

Nope you're right. For guitarist there are soo many good options though.

One of my viewers asked me about the Yamaha AG series mixers 06 and 03. They've got USB, are pretty affordable and can connect to iOS without a hassle.

• edited August 2017

@erikb1971 said:
    I've had the audiohub for years as a playback device for pc, works great. I was about to becof the lack of inputs, but now I realise how nicely and handy it can work with iOS, I will keep it. What do you guys use to record audio with it? Especially guitar and mic? A small mixer? A channel strip? Any not too expensive tips?

I'll most likely be using my small Behringer 802. It's also got USB and can connect to iOS, but the monitoring is a bit weird.

I've also experienced minor bugs when using it connected to iDevices over longer periods of time. So I'd rather just use it as a line mixer instead and connect it to the AudioHUB when needed.

• I can't sneak any more hardware past the wife otherwise I'd give this a go.

There's a high "It just works" aura around Novation's stuff for me.

• @Junebug said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

OH SNAP!!
    That is the MISSING LINK for me - RIGHT THERE!

The iRig MIDI 2 :) :)
    Thanks for the tip, @jakoB_haQ

I just ordered one to use to connect my Ultranova and MIDI drum controllers to the Audiohub so I can get more things talking to more things.

Doing the happy dance now :#

Haha! Yesterday I thought to myself, hey this connection works...but it's starting to look like this again. Well not completely, but it's a start. :sweat_smile:

• @jakoB_haQ I've been oogling on Novation AudioHub for a while too but I'm curious if your iPad is able to see the iRig Mic HD when it's connected to the hub? (I know it works on real computer that can handle multiple USB audio-devices at once but iOS is very picky when it comes to this).

The ideal would be to be able to record stereo line-in thru the AudioHub and using the iRig Mic HD at the same time or if more inputs/outputs (like the UCA-202) is needed hook them up to the USB ports...

I have no clue if iOS11 is able to handle multiple Audio devices at the same time but I sure do hope so...

• @jakoB_haQ said:
    Haha! Yesterday I thought to myself, hey this connection works...but it's starting to look like this again. Well not completely, but it's a start. :sweat_smile:

That is a very familiar sight...
    AudioHub is next on my hardware wish list :)
    Partly because of the built in hub, but mostly because of this
    ...vv...

@TheVimFuego said:

• edited August 2017

@Samu said:
    @jakoB_haQ I've been oogling on Novation AudioHub for a while too but I'm curious if your iPad is able to see the iRig Mic HD when it's connected to the hub? (I know it works on real computer that can handle multiple USB audio-devices at once but iOS is very picky when it comes to this).

The ideal would be to be able to record stereo line-in thru the AudioHub and using the iRig Mic HD at the same time or if more inputs/outputs (like the UCA-202) is needed hook them up to the USB ports...

I have no clue if iOS11 is able to handle multiple Audio devices at the same time but I sure do hope so...

sad to report that you either see the audiohub's line ins or the usb mic. you can't use both simultaneously.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

sad to report that you either see the audiohub's line ins or the usb mic. you can't use both simultaneously.

That is what I suspected since iOS can't yet properly handle multiple USB-Audio Devices :(

It is possible to use multiple USB-Audio devices at the same time as long as they only have either In or Out.
    Like the iRig Mic HD and a dedicated USB-Headphone DAC(nuForce uDAC-2) work perfectly at the same time connected using a USB-Hub. iOS seems to prioritise the device that were connected last...

So in the case of the Novation AudioHub connecting the iRig Mic HD will most likely override the built-in audio-inputs.

I'm really interested in seeing what IK multimedia is cooking up with the iRig IO :)

• edited August 2017

@TheVimFuego said:
    I can't sneak any more hardware past the wife otherwise I'd give this a go.

When is your birthday? You could wish for one ;) She might just get it for you! =D

• @Samu said:
    @jakoB_haQ I've been oogling on Novation AudioHub for a while too but I'm curious if your iPad is able to see the iRig Mic HD when it's connected to the hub? (I know it works on real computer that can handle multiple USB audio-devices at once but iOS is very picky when it comes to this).

No, there is still no way of using multiple audio devices. No problem with MIDI. But audio is a one-unit-only atm.

Let's hope that changes soon.

Would love to have the iRig Mic connected at through the AudioHUB.

• If you use the Behringer Line2USB Cable you can have separate I/O. It's good use with the Mac/PC as well. I sometimes plug the Line2USB out from the Mains on the 2x4 into the Mac etc. Works great!

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@TheVimFuego said:
    I can't sneak any more hardware past the wife otherwise I'd give this a go.

When is your birthday? You could wish for one ;) She might just get it for you! =D

July, alas, and I've already used this yearly justification to grab BM3. :*

• I’m new to the Audiobus forum, lots of information here, wow!

I have a LaunchPad Pro, iPad Pro 12.9 and an iPad Air 2. I just recently bought the Novation AudioHub and had everything set up at a gig (I play guitar in a rock cover band) and on certain songs I play various apps on my iPad.

Ive noticed that sometimes the AudioHub “falls asleep” and I have to unplug the power and plug it back in. Has anyone experienced this? Very embarrassing during a live performance. My iPad’s never fall asleep and the LaunchPad Pro is always on. Thanks for any help!

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

Wow, that saved me another expensive mistake :open_mouth:

Can anyone recommend a mixer that can accept line input(s) and a USB mic? And preferably with line and USB out? This would allow mixing inputs upstream of the iPad but also downstream, which would would be good for some applications.

• I'm having a little deja vu moment as I feel this has already happened before ;)

I thought it was a perfect interface for me until I realised it only had rca inputs. It would have been a killer if it had at least 2 x XLR.

At this point in time iconnect audio4 is probably the closest to 'best Ipad interface' albeit at twice the price ;)

• edited January 2018

I ended up getting the Steinberg UR242. Sure it needs external power so that rules out true mobility without wall-power. The most fully featured Audio Interface at the moment is most likely the Arturia Audio Fuse...

• @Samu said:
    I ended up getting the Steinberg UR242. Sure it needs external power so that rules out true mobility without wall-power. The most fully featured Audio Interface at the moment is most likely the Arturia Audio Fuse...

Yeah I've been looking at the AufioFuse too. If I had the money I would most definitely get one and review it properly. It looks like a great all-in-all product.

• @Aud_iOS said:
    If you use the Behringer Line2USB Cable you can have separate I/O. It's good use with the Mac/PC as well. I sometimes plug the Line2USB out from the Mains on the 2x4 into the Mac etc. Works great!

Is this any different from having a left/right output? Seems like the behringer device splits the usb into two mono, which you could do by panning the l/r within aum.

I was wondering if the 4 outs could be used in this way:
    synth to out put 1
    samplr to output 2
    Kick drum to output 3
    other drums to output 4- does anyone know if this is possible?
    cheers