Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

If I were to start a YouTube channel which focused around iOS, what would interest you guys?

Exactly as said above, I really want to start a YouTube channel, so any suggestions are welcome :smiley:

Comments

• I'd really like to see more performances like PerplexOn (YouTube and Instagram). I was actually gonna do it myself but... TIME.

• @Milestone_Music said:
    Exactly as said above, I really want to start a YouTube channel, so any suggestions are welcome :smiley:

Anything, we need more video bloggers for iOS.

My advice would be to do what you are happy doing, just make videos that you would enjoy if you were watching them on You Tube, and also just start getting them out as soon as possible, don't be precious and don't worry about the quality, content, position of the camera etc etc...you can sort all that stuff out as you go

• Always good to have more vids to watch. For me the important bit is the commentary - which Doug, Jakob and Pantsofdeath do so well. A big turn off for me is app-screen only stuff with no voice....or too much talking and little playing of the app. Getting the balance between commentary and app is key.

• The most helpful to me are “how to” videos that get right to it with out a lot of introductory talking in the beginning of each video.

The how to topic is already in the title of the video. Once I click I just want to get right to the objective.

• I think that gear or software videos are at their best at two extremes of a continuum – at one end, a shallow but wide overall coverage of the whole thing, whole box, whole product or whole concept. Not too long, mind, and that's going to be difficult cutting down a whole topic to something that doesn't cause loss of attention and a partly-viewed end result. At the other end, a deep but narrow coverage of one single aspect or technique or feature or concept. This can be shorter with ease, but by necessity should not fuzz the edges of the thing you're trying to say by covering a lot of background or prerequisite knowledge (or you're back to taking too long and risking only ever partial views). In between is not where success is, I feel. Maybe it is, but I doubt it. My WFTknobs ones are deep and narrow, but I inevitably get distracted with having to fill in prerequisite knowledge, or going on about interesting related side-info. If I didn't do that, I'm sure I could get the point across in two or three mins, and I'm sure the result would be an improvement, but the ex-lecturer in me tends to drag peripheral information in along for the ride - can't help it. So, keep it short, either way.

• There's never too many clear walkthrough tutorials.

• I think keep it simple and straight to the point.

We need demos of the basics of apps:

What the ui is like ( are the features easy to access)

What the MAIN features are

WHAT THE APP SOUNDS LIKE

What makes this app stand out

In as little words and minutes as possible.

All it takes for me to buy an app is to hear how it sounds and if it offers something unique .

I feel that video bloggers should just present the basics in a five minute video and, for tutorials charge users for these twenty plus minute videos as it's a service .

If their demo videos convince people to buy the apps then developers might be kind enough to donate something to them.

Many of us here know how to use most apps that come out intuitively by now.. but in some instances we might need specific help.. take the arpeggio in LAYR for example... I see no video on that and it's not clearly explained in the manual.

Look for unique things for video subject matter like Doug did with that AUM multi timbre synth tutorial.

I am a midiot and did not know AUM could do that and I benefited so much

So, to conclude

Demos with less talk

Tutorials that go in depth in regards to specific advanced features

Good luck

• Performance vids. I want to do more of those, where I am performing music with the apps I demo.

I feel like showing the world that iOS apps are not just a kids toy, but can actually produce great music and can be a great live performance tool.

• @gmslayton said:
    Performance vids. I want to do more of those, where I am performing music with the apps I demo.

I feel like showing the world that iOS apps are not just a kids toy, but can actually produce great music and can be a great live performance tool.

This too

• Someone show f.e. makes a huge track with iOS DAW's instead of playing around and just say it's awesome ;)
    But i also miss more "how to integrate iOS into PC/mac" tutorials.
    I wonder why iOS is still mainly "iOS music" instead of "music".
    There are a lot of nice iOS videos but of course nothing in the league of a Dan Worral tutorial :)
    My opinion is we need not more simple videos but some really deeper reviews without beeing biased and which also show some critics.
    No much people seems to take apps to the limits and beyond.

• If you go ahead, please remember the advice given to novelists which is equally appropriate to YouTube reviewers.

'Show, don't tell."

In other words, instead of wasting five minutes telling your audience how great something is - or how bad - show them exactly what you mean; the sounds an app makes, how it's controls work, what makes it worth buying, connectivity, what is wrong with app.

Also, please be scrupulously honest at all times. Sucking up to developers does no one any favours. If your audience ever thinks you are saying nice things to get apps for free, you lose all credibility.

• edited August 2017

I think someone should make some videos on using gear like class compliant audio interfaces, old synths as midi keys, etc that is something else than hyping the new pricey and inferior products. Maybe look into some gear that is good value used etc. Not that i need this info myself, but people need to be educated that there are cheaper and better alternatives to stuff like irig pro or other overpriced products that only ride on the brand and hype from people who doesent know of better.¨

Heres an example

• Avoid the two minute ramble at the beginning about people's comments on previous videos and asking viewers to follow on instatwitt or snapgram or blah blah blah fuckin blah blah blahb blah

• @Cib I have an iOS/Mac with Ableton Live Lite Set of tutorials planned.

• I like quick concise demo videos. In depth enough to get a proper overview but around 6mins. Lots of sounds and if appropriate ways to make use of the app with other gear. ??

• @gmslayton said:
    @Cib I have an iOS/Mac with Ableton Live Lite Set of tutorials planned.

Good stuff. Another +1 for integrating desktop and iOS workflows.

• Tutorials about Complete Fabfilter plug ins in Auria Pro for example ....

• Whatever you choose to do, you should consider doing something different from what Doug and Jacob do. And do something that you really want to do.

You might want to find out some apps that are great but considered difficult. Then, instead of doing one or two intro videos to the app, do a whole course. I started to do this with DrumPerfect Pro for awhile. I found that the developers were very willing to help provide me with information that wasn't in the manual. Even though I stopped doing the DrumPerfect videos long ago, people keep following me on YouTube to this day, solely because of them.

The reason I started doing these videos was because I loved the program but kept making mistakes. I wanted to share the lessons I had learned by screwing up so much. The reason I stopped is that they were really time-consuming to do--something to think about.

You could do playlists on your page of the various sites that you offer "courses" for.

• similar to Arvid Sandgren's Garageband cover tutorials, but this time using different ios apps.

• I hi k I will talk about this a bit on the live stream later

• @grego68 said:
    Tutorials about Complete Fabfilter plug ins in Auria Pro for example ....

There are already some very good YouTube videos showing what FF can do. But they tend to assume a high degree of expertise. FF reviews/ tutorials from the Everyman POV would be very welcome.

• @thesoundtestroom said:

@Milestone_Music said:

Anything, we need more video bloggers for iOS.

My advice would be to do what you are happy doing, just make videos that you would enjoy if you were watching them on You Tube, and also just start getting them out as soon as possible, don't be precious and don't worry about the quality, content, position of the camera etc etc...you can sort all that stuff out as you go

SWEET!
    Looks like i'm doing everything properly then according to Doug ;)

I'm not being too "precious" and definitely sorting out everything as I go....
    lol -

Another new BM3 video coming tomorrow on my channel....
    (the kind of video that I would want to watch)
    :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX1L0U_AaeJrmRVr8JhCq0g

• @gmslayton said:
    Performance vids. I want to do more of those, where I am performing music with the apps I demo.

Absolutely, I particularly like Doug and Jakob's "Let's Compose With" content. Just watching them build a track (warts and all) is an education.

The production values on the popular content producers has also risen hugely in the last couple of years.

I hope with iOS 11 and the on-board video capture we will have more vloggers showing what iOS can do and how far it's come from the simple soundboard apps of old.

I might even join in the fray, I'm repeatedly told that I bridge the techie/layman gap well so probably time to give back to the community after years of consumption.

• edited August 2017

About the Fabfilters...there exists a tutorial series on the Fabfilter channel for all the plugs. They're narrated by the incredible Dan Worrall, and they are the best in-depth tutorials I've ever seen in any genre. They are generally in the 10 minute range, very quick-hitting but so terse and example-laden with no wasted screen time. I think they are shining examples of how to make instructional videos.

Doug's an absolute classic for app introductions/overviews and for his quick tutorials on how to do one specific thing. He has a great, affable personality for videos. Most importantly, he is a super musician who always brings something lively to the table, even when he's just doing a preset run-through. I don't think that can be overlooked...my eyes and ears glaze over when I check out an instrument video and the host is fumbling around in c rather than actually playing something. I'm not saying you have to be Doug-level, but if musicianship isn't your strong suit, I would suggest finding something that is, even if it takes time to uncover while doing early videos.

Lastly, my least favorite videos have to be that Tim Webb guy's. I think that's his name. But he just fiddles with synths with no concrete plan (other than a vague sound he wants to get that is usually poorly described) and seemingly very little homework done before hitting record. His videos are generally wayyyy too long; there's lots of dead air and tons of watching him deal with his own control and GUI frustrations. The last thing I want to do when being shown how something works is to be forced to share in the host's basic frustrations.

• Know the thing you are demoing... nothing worse than watching someone pressing the wrong buttons or waffling on...giving wrong detail before correcting them selves... there's lots of them out there.

• @enc said:
    Know the thing you are demoing... nothing worse than watching someone pressing the wrong buttons or waffling on...giving wrong detail before correcting them selves... there's lots of them out there.

Sound like me :D

• @thesoundtestroom said:

@enc said:
    Know the thing you are demoing... nothing worse than watching someone pressing the wrong buttons or waffling on...giving wrong detail before correcting them selves... there's lots of them out there.

Sound like me :D

(Singing) And long to reign victorious. ;)

I'll take an honest everyman vid with the crashes and fist shaking over a slickly produced and scripted promo every day.

• @TheVimFuego said:
    >

I'll take an honest everyman vid with the crashes and fist shaking over a slickly produced and scripted promo every day.

Fine for an overview video but there's too many wannabes spouting shite about something they've spent two minutes with

• @enc said:

@TheVimFuego said:
    >

Fine for an overview video but there's too many wannabes spouting shite about something they've spent two minutes with

Absolutely, I cull my YouTube subscription list regularly. The cream will rise to the top.

• do it. start a channel now! i'd subscribe. how about a challenge video series. people suggest a theme, and you go about using ios apps to accomplish the challenge. ehh? sound fun?