Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Circuit patch editor simpler than the Components one?

Anyone who's worked with the isotonik suite knows it's fairly complex, and at this point waaaay more control, detail and understanding than I really want to get into.

Is there a simpler option? I've seen one that runs on iPad - any good?

Tell me if you know any secrets!

Comments

• Hi,

Worth checking out the circuit owners Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/circuitowners

There are a couple of (free!) lemur templates which are good as well as a midi designer pro template which I think are linked on the FB page.

Finally there is a dedicated iOS app. MIDISynth Circuit by Lee Huddleston
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/midisynth-circuit/id1230479796?mt=8

I too find the circuit editor complex but I guess it is a matter of starting simple (waveforms, adsr, oscillator mix, filter) and building from there,

• @kewtips said:
    Hi,

Worth checking out the circuit owners Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/circuitowners

There are a couple of (free!) lemur templates which are good as well as a midi designer pro template which I think are linked on the FB page.

I too find the circuit editor complex but I guess it is a matter of starting simple (waveforms, adsr, oscillator mix, filter) and building from there,

I created one of the Lemur templates......but now I use the MIDI Synth app as it allows you to retrieve the patches from the circuit to make tweaks...something that you cannot do with the lemur or MD Pro templates.

The synth engine is very capable, and can get complex if you want it to..start from an init patch with a single oscillator, simple envelope and that doesn't have loads of modulations setup so can see/hear the changes you are making without them being affected by things you didn't realise were setup. (this is particularly an issue with the Lemur and MD Pro templates as you cannot see what is already in the patch unless you create it from scratch)

The only 'secret' I have found is to assign the macro's to controls you want to use when performing with a sound, as opposed to assigning them to controls you use to design a sound (you can do this but will get better design results using the editor of your choice.)

• edited August 2017

@AndyPlankton said:

@kewtips said:
    Hi,

I created one of the Lemur templates......but now I use the MIDI Synth app as it allows you to retrieve the patches from the circuit to make tweaks...something that you cannot do with the lemur or MD Pro templates.

The synth engine is very capable, and can get complex if you want it to..start from an init patch with a single oscillator, simple envelope and that doesn't have loads of modulations setup so can see/hear the changes you are making without them being affected by things you didn't realise were setup. (this is particularly an issue with the Lemur and MD Pro templates as you cannot see what is already in the patch unless you create it from scratch)

The only 'secret' I have found is to assign the macro's to controls you want to use when performing with a sound, as opposed to assigning them to controls you use to design a sound (you can do this but will get better design results using the editor of your choice.)

Hey Mister A:

Don't have the app, but do have a Circuit and wanted to check in with you as regards the app's ease of use? Any thoughts? Pretty straightforward for a non-boffin?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@kewtips said:
    Hi,

Hey Mister A:

Don't have the app, but do have a Circuit and wanted to check in with you as regards the app's ease of use? Any thoughts? Pretty straightforward for a non-boffin?

Pretty simple if you already know how to program a synth and are not put off by lots of knobs.....pretty daunting if you are new to it.
    The app is capable of much more than I use it for....I literally open it up, get the patch from circuit....make my tweaks and changes...then save the session on circuit.
    The boffinry comes in knowing or learning what all the options in the synth itself do.....the mod matrix/macro knob programming can get complex, but very rewarding once you get the hang of it.

Look for tutorials on programming mininova if you cannot find decent ones for circuit, the synths are very similar.

If you do have access to a PC give the free isotonik pc editor a go, it will show you what options are there, and you will soon see if it looks too scary ;)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@kewtips said:
    Hi,

Hey Mister A:

Pretty simple if you already know how to program a synth and are not put off by lots of knobs.....pretty daunting if you are new to it.
    The app is capable of much more than I use it for....I literally open it up, get the patch from circuit....make my tweaks and changes...then save the session on circuit.
    The boffinry comes in knowing or learning what all the options in the synth itself do.....the mod matrix/macro knob programming can get complex, but very rewarding once you get the hang of it.

Look for tutorials on programming mininova if you cannot find decent ones for circuit, the synths are very similar.

If you do have access to a PC give the free isotonik pc editor a go, it will show you what options are there, and you will soon see if it looks too scary ;)

Yes the synths of the mininova and ultranova are very similar to the circuit's synths.

• Does the MIDI synth app or any of the lemur templates allow for writing the patch to the circuit? Alternately, exporting the patch to load on the circuit.

• @anomieholiday said:
    Does the MIDI synth app or any of the lemur templates allow for writing the patch to the circuit? Alternately, exporting the patch to load on the circuit.

Yes it does
    .....with the lemur templates it just sends the MIDI to control the parameters....you have to save the synth as part of your session on the circuit but not as a preset.