Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Vatanator SX or Funk Box?

I need another drum machine like I need a hole in my head, but I have $5 burning a hole in my pocket (What is it with all of these holes, Jeff?)
I'm looking for another specifically for my phone. My iPad is well taken care of.
Which of the two would you recommend? Why?
Thanks.

Comments

• Curious to see the response to this query. I've had both of these on my wish list for ages. And of course, I have absolutely no need for another drum app either...

• I just picked up both so fresh impressions.

Vatanator SX - surprisingly deep drum machine. Step and sample editing, excellent MIDI, FX, XY pads, sample import, mixer, song build. Love it. No preset patterns that I can see though. You're building from scratch (or MIDI in).

Funk Box - pure fun! Love cycling through the vintage kits. Comes with preset patterns that you can then step edit. Can merge two patterns together. I think it has less editing/sample/FX/MIDI options, however.

Personally, I think Vatanator SX is the more capable drum machine so I would choose that first. No regrets getting FunkBox either though. They are both a steal at the price.

• Funkbox is very cool, and has a 303 style sequencer you can use to control something else through MIDI. It also has sample import to pull in drum kits, or roll your own. This is easy to do. The midi out 303 style is good and works well too.

The intentionally anacronistic user interface takes a bit of getting used to, and you're held to the general limitations of hardware of the day. Fortunately there isn't much to it, but figuring out how to bring the 303 option up and understanding the pattern sequencer isn't (or wasn't to me) intuitive off the bat.

What I like about it is the quick-toggle option to either play through one pattern then go to the next selected, or to jump from one pattern to another ASAP.

I've made a few tracks with Funkbox and if it has
    MIDI learn I may use it as a live performance tool.

If you miss Technobox, this may be your huckleberry. Also, if you are the type of person who can get overwhelmed by too many options in composition (or just want to limit yourself for the sake of it), it's good.

It's a totally self-contained tool and if you want an x0x style sequencer that allows for seamless sample
    import and 303 style sequencer that'll
    let you use whatever synth you want, go for it

• I like the looks of the Vanator though. What's the differences between the iPhone and iPad version? Something with full on every element MIDI learn would make me happy

• Funkbox is one of my most used ios apps of all time. I love that it just starts playing something when you start it up. I love that it has all these classic, canned beats, because sometimes you want a beat fast, like, when you want to practice guitar, or record a little idea, and don't want to spend 10 minutes making a beat.

I end up using it a lot, to check cable connections, like audio, because it just starts making sound, and continues to make it, and MIDI, because the routing is really clear, and reliable, and it has lights for when it receives and transmits midi.

It can be interestin using the patterns in Funkbox to drive other, deeper drum machines.

The programming is solid too, I can't recall any trouble or bugs over the years.

• edited August 2017

Dear Jeff really,
    all this conundrum over 5 er. Just buy both.
    Edit: @JeffChasteen
    I apologize for this unnecessary and stupid comment. Don't know what got into me. Can't even use red wine as an excuse. Something else on my mind. Sorry!

• Any thoughts on the iphone vs ipad vanator?

• @Processaurus said:
    Funkbox is one of my most used ios apps of all time. I love that it just starts playing something when you start it up. I love that it has all these classic, canned beats, because sometimes you want a beat fast, like, when you want to practice guitar, or record a little idea, and don't want to spend 10 minutes making a beat.

I end up using it a lot, to check cable connections, like audio, because it just starts making sound, and continues to make it, and MIDI, because the routing is really clear, and reliable, and it has lights for when it receives and transmits midi.

It can be interestin using the patterns in Funkbox to drive other, deeper drum machines.

The programming is solid too, I can't recall any trouble or bugs over the years.

Funkbox it is!
    Many thanks to you and everyone who weighed in.

• Mo Drums

Great sequencer as well for other apps.

You can also play a one bar loop (bass for me) with the drums.

Super accurate LINK app.

• @anomieholiday said:
    Any thoughts on the iphone vs ipad vanator?

I don't know

I feel like the sound quality isn't there for me on this app.

But, I am probably wrong.

• The loops I get out of Vatanator just have a feel to them that I don't get with some of the others. I also like Seekbeats a lot. I've tried to like Funkbox but it just doesn't do it for me.

• FunkBox has its own sequencer for bass and drums. Reliable midi. Classic sounds. Easy programming and pattern switching. Vatanator has a great sequencer and great sounds. More than any other drum machine on iOS that's samplr based. Song mode and samplr editing as well. Both are "worth" it.

• @RustiK said:
    Mo Drums

Super accurate LINK app.

Oh, I am a longtime Mo Drum lover.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@RustiK said:
    Mo Drums

Super accurate LINK app.

Oh, I am a longtime Mo Drum lover.

MoDrums is literally to me the same sound engine I got of of Drum Brute for all intensive purposes.

• edited August 2017

MoDrums is literally to me the same sound engine I got of of Drum Brute for all intensive purposes.

"Intensive purposes" <-- cute

Intense drum machine --> Jomox Alpha Base

I know no one with $1,700 to spend on a drum machine, or a Synth for that matter. However, it is impressive.

• @audiblevideo said:

"Intensive purposes" <-- cute

I am so fucking stealing that. I hope RustiK doesn't mind.

• What is so special about this 'Vatanator sound'. Is it 12-bit or something like some old boxes? And it looks like it doesn't do sample import, so how are the included samples? Does it have some of the usual classic characters (Linn, OB, 707, Drumtraks, etc)?

• @oat_phipps said:
    What is so special about this 'Vatanator sound'. Is it 12-bit or something like some old boxes? And it looks like it doesn't do sample import, so how are the included samples? Does it have some of the usual classic characters (Linn, OB, 707, Drumtraks, etc)?

I'm just using for the first time but sample import via AudioShare plus other ways is there. Haven't analysed the sound quality in any way. Like I said though, it is deceptively deep - check out the manual https://www.vatanator.com/manual-sx.pdf

• edited August 2017

and here's the FunkBox iPad and iPhone manuals:
    iPad - http://syntheticbits.com/FunkBoxv3iPad.pdf
    iPhone - http://syntheticbits.com/FunkBoxv3iPhone.pdf

• Thanks, brother!

• Has anyone found a metronome in Vatanator? That would be handy for pad thumping.

• Beat machine

• encenc
    edited August 2017

@oat_phipps said:

so how are the included samples? Does it have some of the usual classic characters (Linn, OB, 707, Drumtraks, etc)?

Compared to funkbox rhesounds are a bit more grungy.
    No it doesn't include linn, 707 as such but it does contain "similar" soounding kits. It does include the boss dr Rythm 110 though B) as others have said, funkbox has more scope for custom kits etc and does include the drum machines you mentioned. Been used on gorillaz tracks amongst others too apparently. Wasn't there talk of s hardwear version of Vatanator ?

• While we are on the topic of drum machines, what's anyone's experience with DrumPerfect Pro or iSpark?

• encenc
    edited August 2017

I really want to like ispark ... but just don't get on with it... can't put my finger on it but I prefer the immediacy of funkbox, Boom MV08

• edited August 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2017

So the ipad version of Vatanator is now 7.99 + 6.99 for AU extension IAP

Well that counts me out. I have no problem with app price rises as development continues but I'm not paying extra iap for AU extensions. For one thing I don't want to restore purchases for core app functionality.

• @Carnbot said:

Well that counts me out. I have no problem with app price rises as development continues but I'm not paying extra iap for AU extensions. For one thing I don't want to restore purchases for core app functionality.

Humm ... I'm totally of the opposite opinon.

It represents a significant amount of work to add and maintain an AUv3 version. I see no reason why a developer should not receive some payback for that work. AUv3 adds value so I really don't see why it shouldn't add cost. I feel bad for developers who invest their time with no hope of payback since they can't charge for upgrades. They gotta eat too and a charge like this is about the cost of one Vente Mocha at Starbucks.

• edited August 2017

@Carnbot said:

Humm ... I'm totally of the opposite opinon.

It represents a significant amount of work to add and maintain an AUv3 version. I see no reason why a developer should not receive some payback for that work. AUv3 adds value so I really don't see why it shouldn't add cost. I feel bad for developers who invest their time with no hope of payback since they can't charge for upgrades. They gotta eat too and a charge like this is about the cost of one Vente Mocha at Starbucks.

You missed my point here. I personally don't think core app functionality should be split into iap. It's messy.
    Like I said I don't have a problem with a price rise after they implement it. Just raise the price to cover the extra cost of development.

• wimwim
    edited August 2017

@Carnbot said:
    You missed my point here. I personally don't think core app functionality should be split into iap. It's messy.
    Like I said I don't have a problem with a price rise after they implement it. Just raise the price to cover the extra cost of development.

Ahh. I see. Good point.

I can also see that for a developer they might think this is being kind to the people who don't know an AUv3 from a hole in the wall and wouldn't understand the reason for such a price increase. We take it for granted here that AUv3 is core functionality. I'm not sure that it has that recognition for the general consumer. I could be wrong on that for sure. I've never incurred significant inconvenience from the iAP process, so I don't see it as an inconvenience.

But, I do get your point.