Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which Ipad is best for music?

I've had an Ipad Mini checked out from the library all summer, but our librarian wants me to return it as soon as school starts. I'm very concerned by the ongoing thread on issues with the new Pros. So which is my best option? Thanks for helping the noob....

Comments

• IMO the best bang-for-the-buck is the 128Gb non-pro. Sweet spot for storage and performance at a decent price.

• Currently?

The old iPad Pro 12.9

It has no problems, but 4 GB RAM, IIRC

The new Pros seem to have problems.

• The old iPad Pro 12.9
    and ipad air 2 those are the best for AUV3

• @tja said:
    Currently?

The old iPad Pro 12.9

It has no problems, but 4 GB RAM, IIRC

The new Pros seem to have problems.

How do I tell the old one from the new one? I am a total noob at Ipads.

• edited August 2017

I'm thinking the iPad 2017. You get the same processor as the Pro. Same storage. Less ram but enough. Half the price. Of course the 12" pro would be fun, but those things are a bit harder to carry around :p

• I run an Air2 and Mini4. Both are awesome, won't be updating soon!

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    I'm thinking the iPad 2017. You get the same processor as the Pro. Same storage. Less ram but enough. Half the price. Of course the 12" pro would be fun, but those things are a bit harder to carry around :p

But RAM is very important!

I would definitely take an old 12.9 Pro ... and maybe it is not soooo expensive now, with the new Pro´s

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    How do I tell the old one from the new one? I am a total noob at Ipads.

Good question.
    Apple is regulary so stupid to call the new things just "iPhone" or "iPad" ...
    Did the old one already have 4 speakers?

• @tja said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

But RAM is very important!

I would definitely take an old 12.9 Pro ... and maybe it is not soooo expensive now, with the new Pro´s

As far as I know the pros are still twice the price. What you're paying for in the pro is better screen resolution and the pencil support as well as all the other bells and whistles. The 2017 iPad is capable enough for audio production, provided you get the 128 or 64 gigabyte one.

• edited August 2017

The 9’7” Pro: same form factor as the old Airs, 256 GB of storage, 2GB of RAM and an A9X processor - the RAM is the same of an Air 2, but the CPU is much faster. It seems to handle everything I throw at it.

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    As far as I know the pros are still twice the price. What you're paying for in the pro is better screen resolution and the pencil support as well as all the other bells and whistles. The 2017 iPad is capable enough for audio production, provided you get the 128 or 64 gigabyte one.

Why you keep repeating that?

The question was not "which iPad would you buy now?"
    That, you answered.

The question clearly was "Which Ipad is best for music?"

And the answer is: Original iPad Pro 12.9

• @theconnactic said:
    The 9’7” Pro: same form factor as the old Airs, 256 GB of storage, 2GB of RAM and an A9X processor - the RAM is the same of an Air 2, but the CPU is much faster. It seems to handle everything I throw at it.

I have that and constantly have problems with memory, more than with CPU.
    The bigger iPad with 4GB would be better ....

• The first iPad pros are available here (Germany) now for €300 less.

• @tja said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

Why you keep repeating that?

The question was not "which iPad would you buy now?"
    That, you answered.

The question clearly was "Which Ipad is best for music?"

And the answer is: Original iPad Pro 12.9

Yes I suppose so. There are reports that the new ones have problems. So get the IPad over the pro, unless you can get the older ones.

• edited August 2017

@Cib said:
    The first iPad pros are available here (Germany) now for €300 less.

wo denn? (where?)

.. I'm also considering the iPad 2017 now (non pro) since reading about the latency problems with the new pros, my 32 GB mini 2 is just to mini

... grad gesehen, Cyberport (u.a.) 799 € 128 GB Version

• I saw it today at MediaMarkt f.e.
    (They also have huge sales on macbook etc.)
    But i prefer notebooksbillger.de where i think about to buy the new macbook pro for also €500 less.
    Never buy from Apple and wait a few months.
    Also the new iPads Pro are cheaper elsewhere.

• Ive read in various threads that this iPad Pro issue is likely a software problem to be hopefully rectified by apple, as of course it will be affecting their own apps like garageband. That being the case it may be worth still considering the latest iPads or wait at least to see if the issue is fixed.

• edited August 2017

@LucidMusicInc said:
    I'm thinking the iPad 2017. You get the same processor as the Pro. Same storage. Less ram but enough. Half the price. Of course the 12" pro would be fun, but those things are a bit harder to carry around :p der to carry around :p

Not true! The Apple iPad 9.7 (2017) comes with the A9 chip and embedded M9 coprocessor.
    The iPad Pro 10.5/12.9 have a more advanced A10X Fusion chip with embedded M10 coprocessor though, said to be 30 per cent faster in performance and 40 per cent faster in graphics to the A9.

• I think, he compared to the older Pros

• Would be innacurate as well: the old pros have the A9X, which is a lot faster

• edited August 2017

What are the pro issues? I have considered upgrading to a pro 10.5, from an air2, just for the extra RAM. I don't see me doing it for at least 6 months, but what pisses me off as a customer, is that apple, not satisfied with screwing you up with storage prices, does the same with RAM, withholding your choice of models to the overpriced "pros", when it would be trivial to fit an air2 with 4Gb and have customers like me happy.

• edited August 2017

Ugh... ok A9 vs A9X and now A10... whatever. They both run at similar speeds because the IPad has a lower screen resolution and therefore less taxing on the CPU.

The question is what iPad is the best for music... the iPad Pro has Apple Pencil and the better screen resolution and therefore better suited for graphic designers. The IPad in my view gives you enough processing power and storage at the right price because the additional features, better camera, larger screen, Apple Pencil, extra RAM etc aren't necessarily required for music recording/beat production.

Here's a side by side comparison video:

That's my take, I might be wrong on the specs but as far as Use goes there's no noticeable difference in performance because of the mentioned trade offs. Of course if price isn't a concern... than buy all means by a pro but maybe wait until all the iOS 11 problems have been dealt with on the new model.

• Again, that was it the question.

The best current option is the original iPad Pro 12.9

And from my experience, more RAM is very important - at least when you use multiple Samplers.

Also, I sure would not like to miss the Pencil ;-)
    Use it every day, esp. in sequencers / Piano rolls.

• @tja said:

The problem is still: how do I find one of these beasts and know it's not the current version?

@tja said:

The problem is still: how do I find one of these beasts and know it's not the current version?

Screw it, save some money and just get a 2017 ipad and wait for the OS to get up to Pro standards. ;) ;)

@tja said:

Look in the Apple refurb store, they have some of the older 12" Pros (in the UK store anyway). I always buy refurb from Apple, it's a fair bit cheaper.

Personally think the non-pro iPad is still the better value proposition, but if you have the dough for the big Pro then go for it, it's certainly more future-proof.

• Just out of curiosity, when you say you are a Noob; a Noob to iOS or to music production or...?

• @AudioGus said:
    Just out of curiosity, when you say you are a Noob; a Noob to iOS or to music production or...?

Both. I had a bunch of synths back in the 80s, but I sold them and spent the last twenty years pretty much just playing a nylon-string guitar.

@AudioGus said:
    Just out of curiosity, when you say you are a Noob; a Noob to iOS or to music production or...?

Both. I had a bunch of synths back in the 80s, but I sold them and spent the last twenty years pretty much just playing a nylon-string guitar.

Ahh I see. Hmm, well if coin is not an issue than yah the original 12" sounds like a good one but if coin is an issue and if you want to be micing up any gear you may want to save some for an audio interface, extra hardware etc.

Currently for my needs I am finding having two 'less than best' ipads operating at once in my setup works far better than one of the best ipads would by itself. It really does come down to what you want to be accomplishing.

• @AudioGus said:

Ahh I see. Hmm, well if coin is not an issue than yah the original 12" sounds like a good one but if coin is an issue and if you want to be micing up any gear you may want to save some for an audio interface, extra hardware etc.

Currently for my needs I am finding having two 'less than best' ipads operating at once in my setup works far better than one of the best ipads would by itself. It really does come down to what you want to be accomplishing.

Thanks, interesting take! What are you doing that you prefer two? I can probably get my job to buy me one, and will self-finance the add-ons.