Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT Procreate 4

For those into painting.
Procreate 4 is moving along. Attached is screenshot from 4 alpha.

Comments

• Mate, I'm also on the testing team. You know we both signed the non-disclosure agreement, right?

• What will change / be added?

• edited August 2017

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Mate, I'm also on the testing team. You know we both signed the non-disclosure agreement, right?

I'm not on the testing team and have not signed any agreement; obviously.
    Edit: Clearly I would not be posting info if I knew it was still under lock and I signed NDA. The Info and functions are no secret any more.

This comes from a commercial product I purchased.
    Edit2: As you might perhaps see, the top row is Nikko's brushes. Video fom him.

• If they add shapes that can snap to various grids i'll be happy

• @tja said:
    What will change / be added?

Unfortunately, there's a non-disclosure agreement in place.> @idexis said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Mate, I'm also on the testing team. You know we both signed the non-disclosure agreement, right?

Edit: Clearly I would not be posting info if I knew it was still under lock and I signed NDA. The Info and functions are no secret any more.

Edit2: As you might perhaps see, the top row is Nikko's brushes. Video form him.

AH! Then Savage must've given Nikko the permission to post that. Okay, fair enough.

• edited August 2017

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@tja said:
    What will change / be added?

Unfortunately, there's a non-disclosure agreement in place.> @idexis said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Edit2: As you might perhaps see, the top row is Nikko's brushes. Video form him.

AH! Then Savage must've given Nikko the permission to post that. Okay, fair enough.

Yes and as you see, info readily available.
    I'm both a lawyer (don't hold it against me) and in the software business and would never cross any lines if I thought it would be negative for the company, NDA in place or not. I'm all for the developers, but Procreate obviously has invited for the hype to start.

Edit: more than post, I have 1 hour video with explanation of the new stuff made in PC 4.

• I bought this a while back, and while there was much to like, I was astonished at how difficult lining up layers was. No snap to function. No smudge, heal or blend brushes. Hopefully these omissions are being rectified.

• edited August 2017

@Zen210507 said:
    I bought this a while back, and while there was much to like, I was astonished at how difficult lining up layers was. No snap to function. No smudge, heal or blend brushes. Hopefully these omissions are being rectified.

But there are smudge/blend brushes

Why would you expect heal brushes in a drawing app? It's not a photo editor

That's Pixelmator and Affinity Photo territory

• @jn2002dk

Where? I can see no brushes of those names.

Because it would be useful.

I have those too, and Affinity is excellent.

• Awesome. Instabuy. Does it have Audiobus? :smiley:

• edited August 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@jn2002dk

Where? I can see no brushes of those names.

Because it would be useful.

I have those too, and Affinity is excellent.

Press the hand with pointy finger icon. Now all brushes are transformed into smudge/blend versions while retaining the brush characteristics

Btw didn't mean to be snarky or anything, i was just wondering why you'd want a photo editor tool in a painting app :)

• @jn2002dk said:
    Press the hand with pointy finger icon. Now all brushes are transformed into smudge/blend versions while retaining the brush characteristics

Ah, understanding dawns. Thanks for that. :)

Btw didn't mean to be snarky or anything, i was just wondering why you'd want a photo editor tool in a painting app :)

No worries. I suppose I like to use these tools in ways that are a little different to what the develop intended.

• edited August 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@jn2002dk said:

Ah, understanding dawns. Thanks for that. :)

No worries. I suppose I like to use these tools in ways that are a little different to what the develop intended.

No problem

Another cool trick is to start drawing a line, then pause but don't lift your finger or pen. After a short while it will now straighten your line and you can place it/stretch it wherever you want. Also, if you touch the canvas with another finger after it straightens the line, it will snap to 15 degree angle intervals

• So this is going to be a whole new app I guess and not a free update. I have the original Procreate. And I'm also guessing that to fully enjoy Procreate 4 I'll need the latest iPad Pro?

• @Arpseechord said:
    So this is going to be a whole new app I guess and not a free update. I have the original Procreate. And I'm also guessing that to fully enjoy Procreate 4 I'll need the latest iPad Pro?

I haven't heard anything about it being a new app but i'm not sure. Even if it is, i'd be happy to buy it considering how good the current version is

To fully enjoy Procreate you definitely need an Apple pencil or another, pressure sensitive, stylus but there are youtube videos of people doing amazing stuff on the iPhone version with just their fingers

• Check my links above, there is some statement about it being a free update

• @jn2002dk said:

@Arpseechord said:
    So this is going to be a whole new app I guess and not a free update. I have the original Procreate. And I'm also guessing that to fully enjoy Procreate 4 I'll need the latest iPad Pro?

I haven't heard anything about it being a new app but i'm not sure. Even if it is, i'd be happy to buy it considering how good the current version is

To fully enjoy Procreate you definitely need an Apple pencil or another, pressure sensitive, stylus but there are youtube videos of people doing amazing stuff on the iPhone version with just their fingers

Very good thanks for clarifying it. I've enjoyed Procreate so it's definitely something to look forward too

• @tja said:
    Check my links above, there is some statement about it being a free update

I went through some of Proceate's instagram feed and it sounds like it's going to be a free update. Hand down the best painting app on iOS. I also have Pocket Procreate on my iPhone.

Also an incredible drawing app that does EVERYTHING in vectors, so always scalable... is Concepts. Regular updates, and extremely engaged developer. I'd put it up there right next to Procreate at the top of the heap.

• @skiphunt said:

@tja said:

I went through some of Proceate's instagram feed and it sounds like it's going to be a free update. Hand down the best painting app on iOS. I also have Pocket Procreate on my iPhone.

Also an incredible drawing app that does EVERYTHING in vectors, so always scalable... is Concepts. Regular updates, and extremely engaged developer. I'd put it up there right next to Procreate at the top of the heap.

Concepts is great. Tbh we're spoiled with great drawing apps on iOS

Comic Draw and Infinite Painter are 2 other great ones. Then you have Paintstorm, which suffers from some ui issues and will eat your battery, but is a full desktop port that can do some amazing stuff. Auryn for watercolours and Artrage for natural media simulations

Sketchbook is getting there too since it's latest updates and of course my new favourite sketching app, Linea

• edited August 2017

@jn2002dk said:

@skiphunt said:

@tja said:

Comic Draw and Infinite Painter are 2 other great ones. Then you have Paintstorm, which suffers from some ui issues and will eat your battery, but is a full desktop port that can do some amazing stuff. Auryn for watercolours and Artrage for natural media simulations

Sketchbook is getting there too since it's latest updates and of course my new favourite sketching app, Linea

I wrote off Sketchbook after I'd paid for Sketchbook Pro, then then abandoned it to offer up the same app with IAPs and dropped the "Pro" in the name. Hate it when devs do that.

ArtRage is pretty sweet and also decent on the desktop. Until recently I've found it sluggish, but that changed with the most recent update. Much more responsive now.

I had Auryn a long time ago, but thought it'd been abandoned. Might see if it's still active. I liked that one.

Not familiar with Linea... off to check it out too.

There was one called Psykopaint that was well on it's way to innovating itself into the stratosphere... but evidently the dev couldn't make a go of it financially and ended up abandoning it to take a regular job. I paid for all his IAPs too, just to help keep in developing it, but ultimately it wasn't enough. It also has a great desktop version.

You also mentioned Pixelmator in another post. I haven't used that in awhile, but I have it on iOS and desktop. It's watercolor brush implementation is very groovy too.

• @jn2002dk said:

@skiphunt said:

@tja said:

Linea? With your well-informed views on other 'best' apps in this space, what is it that you like/has grabbed your attention with this one?

• edited August 2017

@skiphunt said:

@jn2002dk said:

@skiphunt said:

@tja said:

I wrote off Sketchbook after I'd paid for Sketchbook Pro, then then abandoned it to offer up the same app with IAPs and dropped the "Pro" in the name. Hate it when devs do that.

ArtRage is pretty sweet and also decent on the desktop. Until recently I've found it sluggish, but that changed with the most recent update. Much more responsive now.

I had Auryn a long time ago, but thought it'd been abandoned. Might see if it's still active. I liked that one.

Not familiar with Linea... off to check it out too.

There was one called Psykopaint that was well on it's way to innovating itself into the stratosphere... but evidently the dev couldn't make a go of it financially and ended up abandoning it to take a regular job. I paid for all his IAPs too, just to help keep in developing it, but ultimately it wasn't enough. It also has a great desktop version.

You also mentioned Pixelmator in another post. I haven't used that in awhile, but I have it on iOS and desktop. It's watercolor brush implementation is very groovy too.

Yup, i like the watercolours in Pixelmater too

As for Autodesk, yea they can do some strange things such as a lack of feature parity between desktop and iOS sketchbook versions. Actually the brush engine on iOS feels better than the desktop version. However, they're saints compared to Adobe imo

Auryn is not actively updated afaik but it still works great and it's the best at what it does

With Affinity photo out and Designer on it's way, my only wish is that Manga Studio/Clip studio gets an iOS port. I'm aware of Medibang but it's just not the same

• tjatja
    edited August 2017

Mine are:

ProCreate
    Pixelmator
    Graphic (which has some other full name)
    ArtStudio
    Painter (which has some other full name, maybe Infinite Painter)
    iDesign

I hate it, when devs just cannot name their icons correctly - you can just guess the name
    Very bad

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@jn2002dk said:

@skiphunt said:

@tja said:

Linea? With your well-informed views on other 'best' apps in this space, what is it that you like/has grabbed your attention with this one?

Good brush engine, great ui, paper simulation, grids and the standout feature for me is the color palette. Once you select a color, a little popup opens with related shades. It's also fast and efficient. It won't do for much more than sketching and honestly, it's not something you need if you already own the others mentioned here, but i really like the feel of it

• @jn2002dk Thanks. I hear what you're saying. I DO have most of (if not all) of the others, but like music apps am at a point where the the UI/UX interest me more than almost anything else, so may well take a look further here...

• @tja said:
    Mine are:

ProCreate
    Pixelmator
    Graphic (which has some other full name)
    ArtStudio
    Painter (which has some other full name, maybe Infinite Painter)
    iDesign

I hate it, when devs just cannot name their icons correctly - you can just guess the name
    Very bad

Indeed

Graphic was formerly iDraw i believe but then Autodesk acquired it and changed the name

Painter is Infinite Painter and, despite some bugs and kinks, it's absolutely brilliant. I love how they do perspective grids and shape snapping in it

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @jn2002dk Thanks. I hear what you're saying. I DO have most of (if not all) of the others, but like music apps am at a point where the the UI/UX interest me more than almost anything else, so may well take a look further here...

For me, it's just straight up appoholism. I can't resist something new and shiny when it comes to music and drawing apps

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @jn2002dk Thanks. I hear what you're saying. I DO have most of (if not all) of the others, but like music apps am at a point where the the UI/UX interest me more than almost anything else, so may well take a look further here...

in addition to what @jn2002dk says, it is also extremely snappy, latency free with the pencil. that and the well thought out ui and feature set makes it one of the best for sketching