Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How does Apple Pencil feel with Auria for precise tasks?

I asked this in the Auria Forum, but wanted to ask here too as there's more activity here.

How does it feel using the Pencil in Auria for making precise selections and fine adjustments? Particularly interested in adding, editing, adjusting and moving midi notes around.

It seems like a potentially amazing pairing. Very interested to hear thoughts and reflections. :)

Comments

• When using a sequencer, i most of the time do this with the Pencil.
    I think i can recommend it ;-)

• For me it works very well, but I use the pencil perhaps unusually much. I draw, paint and do some architectural work as well on the iPad, so it is tool that I have practice with. Maybe not the same for someone not using it as regularly.

• @idexis said:
    For me it works very well, but I use the pencil perhaps unusually much. I draw, paint and do some architectural work as well on the iPad, so it is tool that I have practice with. Maybe not the same for someone not using it as regularly.

Yep, i also bought it for sketching, drawing and painting - but for sequencers, it´s also great.
    I even have some games i play with the Pencil :smile:

• edited August 2017

Thanks both of you for your posts. Yep, sequencing and drawing are a huge pull.

The background: I'm wanting to do a lot of manual midi sequencing and editing of midi performances, and hoping Pencil will help with that.

With an Air 2, it's a bit clunky doing fine edits with my fingers, so Auria sometimes feels a bit like work, perhaps unnecessarily. Aside from that aspect, I love the software, it's ultra powerful. I'm interested to know if all those fiddly tasks are as painless as I imagine they might be with the Pencil.

The other hook is that I'm attracted by ProCreate and all the drawing and illustrating possibilities of the Pro + Pencil combo. In the 90s I drew and animated a whole lot, and I also wrote a stack of tunes with midi, so I'm hoping this might help reconnect with some of that.

Is it a good match? Or am I missing something - is it too good to be true? (Yep I know about the latency thing)

• @HandOfEmpty said:
    Thanks both of you for your posts. Yep, sequencing and drawing are a huge pull.

The background: I'm wanting to do a lot of manual midi sequencing and editing of midi performances, and hoping Pencil will help with that.

With an Air 2, it's a bit clunky doing fine edits with my fingers, so Auria sometimes feels a bit like work, perhaps unnecessarily. Aside from that aspect, I love the software, it's ultra powerful. I'm interested to know if all those fiddly tasks are as painless as I imagine they might be with the Pencil.

The other hook is that I'm attracted by ProCreate and all the drawing and illustrating possibilities of the Pro + Pencil combo. In the 90s I drew and animated a whole lot, and I also wrote a stack of tunes with midi, so I'm hoping this might help reconnect with some of that.

Is it a good match? Or am I missing something - is it too good to be true? (Yep I know about the latency thing)

The pencil is a must with Procreate.
    Don't overthink. If it's not big money issue, definitely get one. You will get used to it in a whizz!

• edited August 2017

I haven't fingered my iPad since getting a Pencil...

• edited August 2017

I do a bit of graphic work with the ipad too, so I was very interested in the Apple pencil... especially since I recently upgraded to a Pro.

Tried the Pencil in the store for a good while, and though it was nice... I didn't really feel it was all that much better than my plain ol' non-bluetooth Adonit Jot Pro stylus

After I got the Pro, I was rethinking the Pencil and whether I wanted to go back for one. But, after I tried the Adonit Jot Pro with the new 120Hz Pro display... it was so fast with no latency/lag in Procreate... that I decided I didn't really need an Apple Pencil for the time being.

Having pressure sensitivity and that angular tracking would be nice for sure, and I might eventually get one (perhaps if they're on sale during the holidays) but for regular drawing, fine tip selection, and other graphic work... I didn't feel like it was a necessity for me just yet.

• Are most people here using the pencil with a 10.5 due to controlling parameters on the 10.5 being more fiddly than the 12.9?

Or is it also useful using it for music sequencing on the 12.9 too ?

• Frow drawing, the pressure sensivity and the angular effect of hatching with a virtual pencil is mindblowing!
    Don´t miss this - you cannot compare a regular stylus with the Pencil!

• Just to show some hatching

• It's like a real pencil

• edited August 2017

@tja said:
    Frow drawing, the pressure sensivity and the angular effect of hatching with a virtual pencil is mindblowing!
    Don´t miss this - you cannot compare a regular stylus with the Pencil!

It's nice, but for my use... wasn't "mind blowing" at all. It's nice, I wouldn't turn down a free one of course. But for MY regular/normal use... it just didn't impress me all that much. YMMV of course

Like I said, at some point I may get one... perhaps if I have to fill out a desired holiday gifts list and there's not really much else I desire instead. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice piece of tech for sure. However, I not only tried it out in the store.. I also used it at my sister's during a visit... as well as 2 other bluetooth styluses to compare. I liked the pencil the best, but in actual use... it didn't feel like a necessity at all for me.

All I'm saying is that if you already have a decent non-bluetooth stylus in your bag gathering dust... and you have a new iPad Pro with the 120Hz display... give that suckah a fresh whirl and see how much more accurate and sensitive they are now with the new extra-speedy 120Hz displays. You might just find, as I did, it's all you really need at the moment.

• It then seems, you don't hatch a lot or have use for the pressure sensivity that makes it like a real pencil.

So, not the use-case i spoke about ....

For MIDI sequencers, you sure don't need those features :)

• edited August 2017

@tja said:
    It then seems, you don't hatch a lot or have use for the pressure sensivity that makes it like a real pencil.

So, not the use-case i spoke about ....

For MIDI sequencers, you sure don't need those features :)

Exactly. For drawing, painting, dodging/burning photos, selecting small menu items, etc. I have little or no use for the extra ability of pressure sensitivity or being able to turn the pencil sideways for shading. You can actually get that same look if you want by merely changing the parameters in Procreate when needed.

To each their own obviously. But, unless you've got $100 burning a hole in your pocket, or a tech gear lust that needs satiating... I don't think you need a bluetooth Pencil for selecting small items on the screen. Especially with the new 120Hz display screen speed. I know I don't. :)

• @HandOfEmpty said:

The other hook is that I'm attracted by ProCreate and all the drawing and illustrating possibilities of the Pro + Pencil combo.

Then get it. iPad Pro + Apple Pencil + Procreate is amazing.

I don’t use the Pencil for sequencing though. If an app requires that level of precision for entering/editing midi notes it’s poorly designed and is likely to have bigger issues.

• Have found it big plus, especially (for example) for extending notes in sequencers etc. Must say I was gifted it and was rather 'superior' about it for about six months but once I started using the thing regularly; wouldn't want to be without it now...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Have found it big plus, especially (for example) for extending notes in sequencers etc. Must say I was gifted it and was rather 'superior' about it for about six months but once I started using the thing regularly; wouldn't want to be without it now...

Your usecase in extending sequencer midi notes has sold me ... thanks

• edited August 2017

@triton100 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Have found it big plus, especially (for example) for extending notes in sequencers etc. Must say I was gifted it and was rather 'superior' about it for about six months but once I started using the thing regularly; wouldn't want to be without it now...

I just played a midi sequence into Auria Pro, then went in to edit that sequence and manipulate length of notes, position, etc. Something I don't like so much in Auria Pro personally when using only touch. But with my regular Adonit Jot Pro it was MUCH easier. But, again... nothing that a Bluetooth pencil would've improved upon in any way IMO.

To each their own though.

The Adonit Jot Pro I have is very good for fine point stuff and has a very nice feel for drawing. One negative aspect of the Adonit is that those little transparent discs can be knocked off if you’re not careful. This renders it useless and I think their replacement costs for a lost endcap or disks are unreasonable. But, it is very accurate... Feels good in my hand to draw with, and doesn't need charging.

With regard to the Apple Pencil and the angular control, there are some functions in Affinity Photo that utilize the Apple Pencil for interesting effect (even if its implementation thus far is reportedly buggy at the moment).

• @skiphunt said:

@triton100 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I just played a midi sequence into Auria Pro, then went in to edit that sequence and manipulate length of notes, position, etc. Something I don't like so much in Auria Pro personally when using only touch. But with my regular Adonit Jot Pro it was MUCH easier. But, again... nothing that a Bluetooth pencil would've improved upon in any way IMO.

The Adonit Jot Pro I have is very good for fine point stuff and has a very nice feel for drawing. One negative aspect of the Adonit is that those little transparent discs can be knocked off if you’re not careful. This renders it useless and I think their replacement costs for a lost endcap or disks are unreasonable. But, it is very accurate... Feels good in my hand to draw with, and doesn't need charging.

With regard to the Apple Pencil and the angular control, there are some functions in Affinity Photo that utilize the Apple Pencil for interesting effect (even if its implementation thus far is reportedly buggy at the moment).

I hear your point re other Apple alternative styluses but if I'm going to get one I may as well get the Apple one in case I decide to revisit my art school days some day.

• edited August 2017

@triton100 said:

@skiphunt said:

@triton100 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I hear your point re other Apple alternative styluses but if I'm going to get one I may as well get the Apple one in case I decide to revisit my art school days some day.

They're nice for sure. If the majority of my own use was sketching, I'd likely get one too.

In reality, my actual real world use doesn't require the extra functionality at this point. If I didn't already have the Adonit Jot Pro that I'm obviously happy with :) I'd consider at least tracking sales or getting a refurb from Apple directly.

For what is and how I'd use it, it's simply not worth the $100 price tag to me.

• @skiphunt said:

@triton100 said:

@skiphunt said:

@triton100 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

They're nice for sure. If the majority of my own use was sketching, I'd likely get one too.

In reality, my actual real world use doesn't require the extra functionality at this point. If I didn't already have the Adonit Jot Pro that I'm obviously happy with :) I'd consider at least tracking sales or getting a refurb from Apple directly.

Completely. It serves your purpose and by all accounts very well. Or you could get a second hand one on eBay for around 40£ (Though I like peace of mind of apples warranty)

• @triton100 said:

@skiphunt said:

@triton100 said:

@skiphunt said:

@triton100 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Completely. It serves your purpose and by all accounts very well. Or you could get a second hand one on eBay for around 40£ (Though I like peace of mind of apples warranty)

Yeah, that's why I suggested the Apple refurbished ones. They don't discount them that much, but they come with the same 1-year warranty as the off-the-shelf ones. And I'd definitely want a warranty with one of these.

• Have one, love it. It's great for anything small and fiddly, especially with Auria, but also perfect for use with photo processing apps like Snapseed and Affinity Photo etc.

• @triton100 said:

@skiphunt said:

@triton100 said:

@skiphunt said:

@triton100 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Got mine for £35 off eBay, it's really close to a physical pencil, just a little smooth to grip, so may have to get it a cover.

• Big fan of Pencil for small interface targets. I'd love to see a synth that works with pressure and tilt.

• edited August 2017

@skiphunt said:
    I do a bit of graphic work with the ipad too, so I was very interested in the Apple pencil... especially since I recently upgraded to a Pro.

Tried the Pencil in the store for a good while, and though it was nice... I didn't really feel it was all that much better than my plain ol' non-bluetooth Adonit Jot Pro stylus

After I got the Pro, I was rethinking the Pencil and whether I wanted to go back for one. But, after I tried the Adonit Jot Pro with the new 120Hz Pro display... it was so fast with no latency/lag in Procreate... that I decided I didn't really need an Apple Pencil for the time being.

Having pressure sensitivity and that angular tracking would be nice for sure, and I might eventually get one (perhaps if they're on sale during the holidays) but for regular drawing, fine tip selection, and other graphic work... I didn't feel like it was a necessity for me just yet.

Bluetooth styli have come a long way the past couple years. I didn't bother buying the Pro / Pencil but used it a fair amount. I have a Wacom Bamboo stylus (which has pressure sensitivity) on my iPads and a Cintiq already and would put the Apple Pencil (on the previous Pro mind you) at an 8 and the Wacom Bamboo at a 7. The Cintiq to me is a 10, best I've used. Maybe I would be more impressed with the Pencil on the new IPad Pro/ new Procreate with the new revised metal rendering engine though. But yah, I was a bit underwhelmed with the pencil given how much more the Pro and Pencil would have cost me.

• you are a bunch of wazzocks lol.... the pencil is like a slender white god of your whole existence

• @The_Master said:
    you are a bunch of wazzocks lol.... the pencil is like a slender white god of your whole existence

Settle down Beavis ;)

• @The_Master said:
    you are a bunch of wazzocks lol.... the pencil is like a slender white god of your whole existence

Infidel, kneel before the Dark Lord...

• Don't have a Pro
    But I do have my Bamboo stylus and never can do music without it.

Best $70 I ever spent.