Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

USB Adapter / cable to use a MIDI keyboard with an iPad Pro 9.7

Under Products / Adapters / compatible to iPad Pro 9.7 i can see several possibilities for USB connectivity:

1. Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter
  2. Lightning to USB camera adaper (it is not mentioned that other things than a camera can be connected)

And some more:

Belkin RockStart Lightning Audio and Charging adapter
Lightning Digital AV Adapter

What should i buy to use a MIDI keyboard with USB connection?
What should i buy to use higher Audio resolution compared to the headphone connection?

Comments

• I know that my iPad Pro 9.7 can only run on USB 2 speed, but i may get a newer iPad in the next year ...

• edited August 2017

Old camera adapter thing is just the adapter part. New usb3 thing has also an input for charger, so that you can charge the ipad while its hooked to some usb gear. And its usb3, but it doesent really make any difference in audio stuff

Same stuff works on both.

• edited August 2017

@tja said:
    I know that my iPad Pro 9.7 can only run on USB 2 speed, but i may get a newer iPad in the next year ...

Get the usb3 camera adapter. You can keep your iPad charged at the same time. It works perfectly with my Air2 that is also just USB2.

• edited August 2017

I have the 9.7 Pro use the USB 3 official Apple CCK along with a cablejive extender cable which stops the u bend on your CCK when hanging from your iPad thus extending the life of the cable itself. I got a Novation 2x4 and go straight into the back of that from my CCK gives me 3 midi inputs and with power on the interface runs really good.

• I've got one of these from Roland, works great!

https://www.roland.com/ca/products/um-one_mk2/

• Thanks a bunch for you help!
    I ordered the camera adapter USB 3.

And I am searching this "cablejive extender cable" which sounds like a good idea!

@Graison said:
    I've got one of these from Roland, works great!

This looks like a MIDI interface, but I need USB - also because I then can use some more USB stuff, like a regular USB keyboard.

Thank you!

• Got my cable Jive onAmazon uk

CableJive 60 cm dockXtender Lightning Extension Cable for Apple Devices - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GP08858/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_f5DKzbHX26MWK

• edited August 2017

@tja said:
    Thanks a bunch for you help!

And I am searching this "cablejive extender cable" which sounds like a good idea!

@Graison said:

This looks like a MIDI interface, but I need USB - also because I then can use some more USB stuff, like a regular USB keyboard.

Thank you!

If you need more than one usb gear on your ipad, get an usb hub to the usb3 dongle and put all usb gear to it. Some gear(or enough of low power gear) requires an powered hub, because they draw more power than ipad can give out. Giving power to the dongle is only supposed to power the ipad, not provide power to gear hooked on usb port. Some people have reported that it can help to give enough power to some midi controllers that wouldnt otherwise work on non powered hub or straight to dongle.

• @ToMess said:

@tja said:
    Thanks a bunch for you help!

@Graison said:

Thank you!

If you need more than one usb gear on your ipad, get an usb hub to the usb3 dongle and put all usb gear to it. Some gear(or enough of low power gear) requires an powered hub, because they draw more power than ipad can give out. Giving power to the dongle is only supposed to power the ipad, not provide power to gear hooked on usb port. Some people have reported that it can help to give enough power to some midi controllers that wouldnt otherwise work on non powered hub or straight to dongle.

I use it with a non powered hub and it runs my interface as well as a midi keyboard that previously required a powered hub to run. YMMV I guess.