Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

KLIMPER MUSIC COMPOSITION Setting Up & Getting Started Tutorial

Here is a general set up guide to the newly updated Klimper Music Composition App, now you can use use your AUv3 Apps too.

Comments

• helpful, thanks!

• Thanks for the vid Doug. Gonna still sit on the fence for this one. I'm gonna wait "Mideo Out" & "Ableton Longk"

• Nice.. So when is Ableton link supposed to hit?

• @RajahP said:
    Nice.. So when is Ableton link supposed to hit?

• @studs1966 said:

@RajahP said:
    Nice.. So when is Ableton link supposed to hit?

At

At so,e point later. If you look up Klimper in the AppStore, it shows it at the very bottom.

• Really wish it was possible to hear some kind of beat prior or during selection of chords to inspire you in the chord selection.

• That's just what I thought when I watched Doug's video. Is it not possible to hear the other tracks while you are entering whichever one you are working on?

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Really wish it was possible to hear some kind of beat prior or during selection of chords to inspire you in the chord selection.

Hi, that's possible. You don't have to start with the chords at all. You can enter a beat, play it back and then add chords from the chord palette - the loop won't stop when switching to the chord palette.
    Or, you can start with a melody aswell (also a pretty common songwriting approach). You can rectangle-select a group of notes and use the search icon to switch to the chord palette, wich then highlights chords that suits your selected notes. You can then pick the one that you like best.
    The workflow in Klimper is more up to you than the built-in tutorial suggests. Probably need some more tutorials to cover all the aspects :-)

@receder said:
    That's just what I thought when I watched Doug's video. Is it not possible to hear the other tracks while you are entering whichever one you are working on?

Hm, of course you hear the other tracks when editing one. Where did you get that impression from?

• edited August 2017

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Really wish it was possible to hear some kind of beat prior or during selection of chords to inspire you in the chord selection.

Hi, of course that's possible. You don't have to start with the chords at all. You can enter a beat, play it back and then add chords from the chord palette - the loop won't stop when switching to the chord palette.
    Or, you can start with a melody as well (also a pretty common songwriting approach). You can rectangle-select a group of notes and use the search icon to switch to the chord palette, wich then highlights chords that suits your selected notes. You can then pick the one that you like best.
    The workflow in Klimper is more up to you than the built-in tutorial suggests. Probably need some more tutorials to cover all the aspects :-)

• @receder said:
    That's just what I thought when I watched Doug's video. Is it not possible to hear the other tracks while you are entering whichever one you are working on?

Hm, where exactly did you get that impression from? Of course you can hear the other tracks when editing.

• @TobiasS1 apologies and thanks for confirming that this is possible.

• Thanks @TobiasS1
    Being a guitar player and synth player drums and bass have always been hardest for me to program into a sequencer. But I always do come olio with a lot of melodies which in turn I'd like to make songs from. A nice video on that would help a lot.

@TobiasS1 said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

Hi, of course that's possible. You don't have to start with the chords at all. You can enter a beat, play it back and then add chords from the chord palette - the loop won't stop when switching to the chord palette.
    Or, you can start with a melody as well (also a pretty common songwriting approach). You can rectangle-select a group of notes and use the search icon to switch to the chord palette, wich then highlights chords that suits your selected notes. You can then pick the one that you like best.

• edited August 2017

@TobiasS1 More (detailed) tuts always welcome :) Thanks Sir Doug.

• Second comment: Had a proper go through Sir Doug's video (which I hadn't done before) and while I always want MORE tuts, it's really all done right here. Excellent job and I'm looking forward to writing something with this.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Second comment: Had a proper go through Sir Doug's video (which I hadn't done before) and while I always want MORE tuts, it's really all done right here. Excellent job and I'm looking forward to writing something with this.

I did the same and a second viewing definitely helped. I think I was confused by the first part where he has already entered chords and is entering a lead part but when he plays it back you can only hear the lead part not the chords. Definitely more tutorial videos would help. This is now top of my must buy apps.

• This is a great app that seems to be generally misunderstood. I have seen many misconceptions about the app in this forum. I am glad it is getting cleared-up by great videos like these and I hope this app will get the recognition it deserves. It is brilliant.

• @receder said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Second comment: Had a proper go through Sir Doug's video (which I hadn't done before) and while I always want MORE tuts, it's really all done right here. Excellent job and I'm looking forward to writing something with this.

I did the same and a second viewing definitely helped. I think I was confused by the first part where he has already entered chords and is entering a lead part but when he plays it back you can only hear the lead part not the chords. Definitely more tutorial videos would help. This is now top of my must buy apps.

Yes I was at first confused by this but the chord selector is only there for you to choose the sequence and so you can hear how they sound together, not enter those actual sounds

• Thanks for clarifying Doug. Enjoyed your livestream and the massive AUM session.

• edited August 2017

@thesoundtestroom said:

@receder said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Yes I was at first confused by this but the chord selector is only there for you to choose the sequence and so you can hear how they sound together, not enter those actual sounds

I did get it in the end, but in a way I wish you could enter the chords directly as is (if one wanted to), they can sound so good strummed a little...

• So if I had to get ONE just one Au synth to use with this, universal also, what do you guys recommend? Something versatile that can sound very expressive

• edited August 2017

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

@receder said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

I did get it in the end, but in a way I wish you could enter the chords directly as is (if one wanted to), they can sound so good strummed a little...

It seems to me that this chord-insertion thing is the one biggest source of confusion. The initial idea was that in almost any arrangement, you would not want to blast out the full chords in root position all the time. So i left it up to the user to decide on the chord inversions, voicings etc., guided by the piano roll which makes exploring all the options pretty easy. But @JohnnyGoodyear is right, there should be an option to just generate the notes as heard in the palette. Will definitely consider this for the next update.

• @TobiasS1 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

@receder said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

It seems to me that this chord-insertion thing is the one biggest source of confusion. The initial idea was that in almost any arrangement, you would not want to blast out the full chords in root position all the time. So i left it up to the user to decide on the chord inversions, voicings etc.; guided by the piano roll which makes exploring all the options pretty easy. But @JohnnyGoodyear is right, there should be an option to just generate the notes as heard in the palette. Will definitely consider this for the next update.

Thanks Mister T. Never underestimate how simple many of us (self) are. And also, it's kind of your own fault :) I play the chords from the palette and my pea brain says, hell yeah, that, want, me, want, that, yeah.... :)

• edited August 2017

@db909 said:
    So if I had to get ONE just one Au synth to use with this, universal also, what do you guys recommend? Something versatile that can sound very expressive

Cassini. Kaspar and Cassini (in that order) are my favourite versatile synths, but I think Kaspar is iPad only. You can get pretty much any sound you want from Cassini’s 3 oscillators and various filters, plus it has a programmable arpeggiator and midi translation built in which can produce some awesome results.

And if you don’t like twisting knobs, the presets are good too.

• I don't think Cassini is AU. And although Kaspar isn't my favorite AU synth by any means, I begrudgingly admit it will give you the widest variety of sounds with the littlest hassle.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I don't think Cassini is AU.

Oops. You’re right.

And although Kaspar isn't my favorite AU synth by any means, I begrudgingly admit it will give you the widest variety of sounds with the littlest hassle.

But no iPhone version.

Lorentz might be a good option. It’s definitely AUv3 and iPhone compatible. I just tested it. It’s pretty sweet actually... might have to spend more time with it.

• edited August 2017

Lorentz is a solid all-arounder. I'd vote Mood though if the poster is into programming. I wouldn't recommend it if he/she is just after presets though, since the stock ones are a wild bunch.

• I'll have to check out Lorentz, didn't realize it was on the phone. i do like programming, but Mood doesn't really appeal to me

• @TobiasS1 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

@receder said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

It seems to me that this chord-insertion thing is the one biggest source of confusion. The initial idea was that in almost any arrangement, you would not want to blast out the full chords in root position all the time. So i left it up to the user to decide on the chord inversions, voicings etc., guided by the piano roll which makes exploring all the options pretty easy. But @JohnnyGoodyear is right, there should be an option to just generate the notes as heard in the palette. Will definitely consider this for the next update.

Hi Tobias.

I really like the app, having bought it a couple of days ago. I can see a lot of power for composing 'proper' songs.

However, I'm pretty sure there's a bug with the iphone6s plus - and maybe other 'plus' iPhones.

The tempo dialogue box can't be closed once opened. The same with the pop up from the settings 'gears' icon.

Perhaps it's a screen resolution thing that means the close button is hidden?

Anyway - it would be great if this could've fixed for iPhone 6S plus users.

Thanks,

Matt

Ps next on my wish list is live midi out so I can play the midi out to Gadget.

• edited August 2017

Of course it's my fault. > @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@TobiasS1 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@thesoundtestroom said:

@receder said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Hi Tobias.

I really like the app, having bought it a couple of days ago. I can see a lot of power for composing 'proper' songs.

However, I'm pretty sure there's a bug with the iphone6s plus - and maybe other 'plus' iPhones.

The tempo dialogue box can't be closed once opened. The same with the pop up from the settings 'gears' icon.

Perhaps it's a screen resolution thing that means the close button is hidden?

Anyway - it would be great if this could've fixed for iPhone 6S plus users.

Thanks,

Matt

Ps next on my wish list is live midi out so I can play the midi out to Gadget.

Hi @Matt_Fletcher_2000, i submitted an update to the app store this morning addressing the iPhone Plus issue.
    Thanks for the heads-up!

• edited August 2017

What i entire dislike with Klimper is that while selecting Chords or tab on a chord it does not uses Midi Audio for example Isymphonic Orchestra . Instead of that all you hear is really lowqual bleep bleep Chord Sounds.
    Later in the next step of Editing Melody and so on all Midi is there.
    This kills the actual Composing Experience for me.

If i create Music i create Music with the real Instrument Sounds and not with a placeholder Sound.
    This is confusing.

Great Review Video