Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why I stopped using iPad for synth bass

I got some footage from the side of the stage yesterday with the iPad, I thought it might be of interest to some here. I stopped playing synth bass with a keyboard around February of this year, eventually sold the irig keys and novation xio in favor of a pedalboard setup using an electro harmonix bass microsynth. I'm also playing my new 25.5" scale bass I put together from inexpensive strat type guitar parts, which wasn't intended to become my main bass but I absolutely love the way it sounds and feels so it just kind of happened. I guess I'm going to have to aim towards building one with a good body and neck now...

Comments

• You be rockin'.

• funky thing B)

• funkaaaayyy

• Oooooh I wanna feel the heat with somebody!

God what a great song

• Lots of presence in that little thing!

• I've flirted with all sorts of bass solutions in a band situation : boss, zoom, ibanez bass synth pedals (all sounded a bit muffled to me) and also xiosynth. So yeah, with a band as a bass player bass synth pedals work well live but are clearly substitutes rather than the real deal. Mind you ipad synths are hardly real deal either but at least filter sweeps can be altered while playing.

Some xiosynth action in the third (i think) track below

• I'm interested in why you are using the EH micro synth and not an EQ pedal or something?

@supadom have you ever tried an octave pedal with your guitar?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I'm interested in why you are using the EH micro synth and not an EQ pedal or something?

An eq pedal would be a totally different thing, the microsynth generates an octave below, octave above, and a square wave distortion, then runs it through a resonant low pass filter that sweeps.

@supadom, I switched to this pedal because it fit my gigs better. And i am a terrible keyboardist, only slightly above terrible on bass...there is a mod that can be done to be able to sweep the filter with a pedal, but for the synth bass I'm doing that's in songs such as in the video, when you listen to the songs theres very little in the way of things like filter sweeps. The sounds are actually pretty basic but work in the arrangement. The filter rate on the pedal is adjustable though, I have it set pretty quick.

I've had the korg pedal and the digitech pedal, as well as the synths in my zoom pedals currently, but there's something about the bass microsynth that I absolutely love. For recording I'd probably still use a keyboard if I needed synth bass but for live gigs this is working well for me.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I'm interested in why you are using the EH micro synth and not an EQ pedal or something?

Yes I have, in fact I use an octaver preset in ToneStack in some Fleksi tunes. I don't use it with my current band as it isn't as sonically adventurous.

The octaver and blue fur pedals in ToneStack are the ones that I managed to get the best tracking from. IMO better than hardware pedals I've tried albeit I haven't had a chance to try the EHM pedal.

• @supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Yes I have, in fact I use an octaver preset in ToneStack in some Fleksi tunes. I don't use it with my current band as it isn't as sonically adventurous.

The octaver and blue fur pedals in ToneStack are the ones that I managed to get the best tracking from. IMO better than hardware pedals I've tried albeit I haven't had a chance to try the EHM pedal.

Good to know. I've found the tonestack octaver to work way better than I expected. Add a bass amp model in and it's passable for a live setting...