Video.. Lets Compare 6 Flagship Piano Apps and Vote

edited August 12 in General Vote Up0

OK so I don't want to offer an opinion of my own, have a listen and make up you mind
https://youtu.be/A-F7jf1-PTo

Which piano did you like best
  1. Imperial 34 votes
    1. Ravenscroft 275
      47.06%
    2. Module
      29.41%
    3. Colossus
        5.88%
    4. CMP
        0.00%
    5. iGrand
      17.65%

Comments

  • 20 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • edited August 12 Vote Up0

    Decent vid Dougal!

    In your video Ravenscroft gets my vote. The app is a bit glitchy when playing for me however.

    Not too impressed with the sound of the Colossus in the vid.

    CMP had a bit more of a nice ambience which I would put as #2.

    By the way the Imperial selection in the vote above appears to be missing. For me at least.

    Good stuff.

    EDIT: BTW completely OT, but wondering if you still hear from Colin Swinney? Hope he's doing well. Miss his involvement on iOS.

  • @SpookyZoo said:
    Decent vid Dougal!

    In your video Ravenscroft gets my vote. The app is a bit glitchy when playing for me however.

    Not too impressed with the sound of the Colossus in the vid.

    CMP had a bit more of a nice ambience which I would put as #2.

    By the way the Imperial selection in the vote above appears to be missing. For me at least.

    Good stuff.

    Thanks, i must of messed up the entry in the poll

  • I must say I quite liked the Colossus sound when I had it installed. iGrand is alright, though I must say piano duties have now been transferred to NI Komplete. If only there were a 1TB iPad with 16gb ram to handle these larger instruments...

  • Thoughts:
    IGrand is really good, but no AU

    Module looks cool. Pianos sound “attack-y” to me. Set list feature is awesome.

    Colossus has most velocity layers. Maybe just EQed poorly out of the box? Sounds kind of tinny and metallic.

    CMP not bad at all. Kind of sterile though.

    SampleTank: who really WANTS to use SampleTank?

    Ravenscroft: in my opinion, the best sounding piano on iOS.

    We are spoiled with options at this point, but if pianoteq came to iPad it would be hands down the best piano with a light footprint(20 mgb) and almost limitless velocity layers. It’s simply the most realistic piano vst I’ve ever played.

  • The sample rate for Ravenscroft was just set to 32000 Hz? Is that the default?

  • Indeed i voted for the Ravenscroft which is the only i felt sounds very good (even at a lower sample rate).
    But the 14GB Colossus would mabe beat in in terms of dynamics.
    For space beeing used for samples and sound quality output the Ravenscroft is just the best.
    I just would wish there would be more characterful pianos right now too on iOS.
    They are all too sterile :)

  • Can anyone tell me if Ravenscroft has a master tune knob where I can dial up or down from 440hz tuning? Thanks

  • @Arpseechord said:
    Can anyone tell me if Ravenscroft has a master tune knob where I can dial up or down from 440hz tuning? Thanks

    Yes you can pretty much dial in any tuning you like

  • @thesoundtestroom said:

    @Arpseechord said:
    Can anyone tell me if Ravenscroft has a master tune knob where I can dial up or down from 440hz tuning? Thanks

    Yes you can pretty much dial in any tuning you like

    Thank you very much sir, what I wanted to hear!

  • Is raven the same piano in beathawk?

  • @stormywaterz said:
    Is raven the same piano in beathawk?

    No

  • @ion677 said:
    Thoughts:
    IGrand is really good, but no AU

    Module looks cool. Pianos sound “attack-y” to me. Set list feature is awesome.

    Colossus has most velocity layers. Maybe just EQed poorly out of the box? Sounds kind of tinny and metallic.

    CMP not bad at all. Kind of sterile though.

    SampleTank: who really WANTS to use SampleTank?

    Ravenscroft: in my opinion, the best sounding piano on iOS.

    We are spoiled with options at this point, but if pianoteq came to iPad it would be hands down the best piano with a light footprint(20 mgb) and almost limitless velocity layers. It’s simply the most realistic piano vst I’ve ever played.

    Who really WANTS to use SampleTank?
    Hell, with the size of its footprint, I damn better well want to be using it.
    ;)
    Honestly, I rethink it gets an unfair rap.
    Many of its basic sounds are quite good, but their policy of replicating those basic instruments with various effects added in multiple presets is just ridiculous. I like to add my own effects, and I certainly don't need the bloat.

  • @JeffChasteen said:

    @ion677 said:
    Thoughts:
    IGrand is really good, but no AU

    Module looks cool. Pianos sound “attack-y” to me. Set list feature is awesome.

    Colossus has most velocity layers. Maybe just EQed poorly out of the box? Sounds kind of tinny and metallic.

    CMP not bad at all. Kind of sterile though.

    SampleTank: who really WANTS to use SampleTank?

    Ravenscroft: in my opinion, the best sounding piano on iOS.

    We are spoiled with options at this point, but if pianoteq came to iPad it would be hands down the best piano with a light footprint(20 mgb) and almost limitless velocity layers. It’s simply the most realistic piano vst I’ve ever played.

    Who really WANTS to use SampleTank?
    Hell, with the size of its footprint, I damn better well want to be using it.
    ;)
    Honestly, I rethink it gets an unfair rap.
    Many of its basic sounds are quite good, but their policy of replicating those basic instruments with various effects added in multiple presets is just ridiculous. I like to add my own effects, and I certainly don't need the bloat.

    SampleTank has some amazing stuff. The American acoustic is unreal. And miroslav is great too. I do a lot of live keyboards playing, and my new philosophy is to only use AU stuff. Iaa just too unstable. But if I can load it in a daw it’s a great library.

  • Thanks for posting this Doug, super useful comparison.

    Ravenscroft sounded the best to me, but iGrand was surprisingly good for its footprint. It sounds like iGrand has some kind of very slight compression artifacts in the higher notes (slight flanging like you get with MP3 compression).

    For me the Crudebyte pianos had too harsh an attack, I prefer the softer attack the Ravenscroft/Ivory/iGrand. That's probably a matter of taste more than anything.

  • I found this, which may be interesting:

    http://audionewsroom.net/2017/06/the-best-piano-app-for-ios-a-video-test.html

    I posted the videos from Stefan Ginsler or any elsewhere.

    What I would be interested in, is a comparison between SampleTank Miroslav and iGrand - from the same company...

  • I apologize if the video covered this, but has anyone done an upright comparison yet? I've always wanted a quality upright instead of a fancy grand. The only one I've heard is Module, and it's less than inspiring.

  • Also, has anyone tried the grand pianos in the iSymphonic Keys Soundset IAP? Not cheap at $35 CAD but curious to know where it stands. https://www.crudebyte.com/isymphonic-orchestra/sounds/#soundsets

  • @gusgranite said:
    Also, has anyone tried the grand pianos in the iSymphonic Keys Soundset IAP? Not cheap at $35 CAD but curious to know where it stands. https://www.crudebyte.com/isymphonic-orchestra/sounds/#soundsets

    Yes I should get that done

  • @ion677 said:
    Thoughts:
    IGrand is really good, but no AU

    Module looks cool. Pianos sound “attack-y” to me. Set list feature is awesome.

    Colossus has most velocity layers. Maybe just EQed poorly out of the box? Sounds kind of tinny and metallic.

    CMP not bad at all. Kind of sterile though.

    SampleTank: who really WANTS to use SampleTank?

    Ravenscroft: in my opinion, the best sounding piano on iOS.

    We are spoiled with options at this point, but if pianoteq came to iPad it would be hands down the best piano with a light footprint(20 mgb) and almost limitless velocity layers. It’s simply the most realistic piano vst I’ve ever played.

    Agree 100 percent with everything written here

  • iGrand has always suited my needs, and this video doesn't do anything to make me yearn for something else. I'm not much of a piano player anyway.

    Thanks, Doug. This was very useful.

Sign In or Register to comment.