Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What happens to an app when its creator is gone?

Not to be morbid, but I am curious...what happens to an app if its dev passes away or disappears? Would Apple know? Would they remove it from the App Store immediately?

Comments

• To paraphrase: No developer is dead until the last person plays their last app for the last time....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    To paraphrase: No developer is dead until the last person plays their last app for the last time....

**Or iOS 11 is published

• @OscarSouth said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    To paraphrase: No developer is dead until the last person plays their last app for the last time....

**Or iOS 11 is published

Not at all. I'm thrilled that my iPad four is about to start getting some more play time :) Guessing/betting that the limits (only 32 bit apps) will help me produce some stuff. Actually.....scared of the truth of that :)

• What happens? Either AI takes over or the privileged young folk learning coding now will...

• If a developer falls, and no one is there to see, does he make any noise?

• I’d imagine the app will stay until the developer account stops paying the $99 yearly fee.

• Yes

It can be sold.

I am slightly fimilar with this.

• Is this a setup for some Pixar movie?

• Well the Earth is still here and I see no sign of a creator.
    Or are they busy working on version 2?

• I would imagine it's also down to the app, the dev and the degree of success (financial) & user base the app enjoyed.

If it's yet another calculator or bad copy of the latest game craze (an Angry Birds clone for instance) it probably just fades away, possibly excised from the store if Apple couldn't contact them.

If the app was quite successful, had a lot of 'venture capital' investment into it with a large user base the dev probably created a company name with all the legal boiler plate that accompanys it which probably had provisions for the devs/owners estate to take ownership or stake in the event of death.

That's all just conjecture, I don't know for sure. It's an interesting question since at least in the music app realm I see quite a few apps with a devs name instead of a company name (Igor Vasiliev, Jonatan Liljedahl before the Kymatica name, etc). If they're pretty much one man shows, who do the bulk of everything, could another dev even step in if that was what was wanted? I dunno.

• @realdavidai said:
    I’d imagine the app will stay until the developer account stops paying the $99 yearly fee.

^ this

Perhaps there's a grace period, but I assume the app will vanish after 18 months, tops.

• @brambos said:

@realdavidai said:
    I’d imagine the app will stay until the developer account stops paying the $99 yearly fee.

^ this

Perhaps there's a grace period, but I assume the app will vanish after 18 months, tops.

And then comes the Alchemy Syndrome.

• If it's simply some one person's love affair, then it'll eventually die. If it's popular enough, someone might buy it. Assuming whomever ends up with the rights to it knows how to do that; spouse, children, parent, whomever. If it's part of a larger corporation, then it would live on. Of course, in the iOS world, stuff can disappear at any time. Profit margins are low, people can just pack it in, and they do.

• If it were an app that was essential for myself ,I would cheerfully pay the maintenance fee $99.00 per annum,to keep it alive, for as long as I needed it.