Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Damage Pumphouse sidechain sequencer now available!

Comments

• @HandOfEmpty said:
    Hi @Chris_Randall , congrats on the new release! Keep em coming. Kombinat soon perhaps??? ;)

Just to let you know: Pumphouse as an AU doesn't respond to Auria's clock, at least in my setup (iPad Pro 10.5, 10.3.3). I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong but I checked and it works perfectly in Aum.

By the way, I had dinner with a friend in the real world the other day - it was an awesome surprise to discover that he has been following your blog for some time, and it was cool to have a chat about your effects and instruments (which I discovered and bought over the last week or two), plus check them out on the iPad. :)

From the app description:

• Auria Pro doesn't have a full AUv3 implementation, and AUv3s that require host transport information (in our case Replicant 2 and Pumphouse) will not work at all. They'll just sit there looking pretty. Auria devs are aware of this, and have told me it will be implemented in "a future update."

Regarding the multi-instance crash referenced earlier, this is the iPad Pro RAM issue that is well-documented here. I started working on this issue yesterday, and have just got some hints from the JUCE people as to possible fixes. But this is really an Apple issue (and to a lesser extent a host issue).

• @richardyot said:
    I might try this on some rhythm guitar tracks, would be a nice way to get unusual My Bloody Valentine-esque results.

It works very well for that effect ;)

• Oh, and to answer that Dubstation "missing parameter" question, put it in Stereo mode, and you'll see that parameter is the second time knob. AudioUnits in general are not happy about renaming parameters, so depending on the host, it might not pick up the name unless the DAW actually started with the plug in stereo mode, but that's what it is.

• @Chris_Randall said:
    Auria Pro doesn't have a full AUv3 implementation, and AUv3s that require host transport information (in our case Replicant 2 and Pumphouse) will not work at all. They'll just sit there looking pretty. Auria devs are aware of this, and have told me it will be implemented in "a future update."

Regarding the multi-instance crash referenced earlier, this is the iPad Pro RAM issue that is well-documented here. I started working on this issue yesterday, and have just got some hints from the JUCE people as to possible fixes. But this is really an Apple issue (and to a lesser extent a host issue).

@Chris_Randall You've made several comments insinuating that the new iPad Pros have some problems, and with this last comment, unless I'm reading it wrong, you're saying there are issues/problems with the RAM in the "Pros".

You also called the new iPad Pros "Hinky" in a post yesterday. I don't know what "Hinky" means, but I'm guessing that's not favorable. You also said that you thought the new iPad Pro 12.9 was "A dog with fleas". I'm guessing that's not a ringing endorsement either. You also have implied that these issues are not so much related to software. Is this a correct and accurate assessment of your opinion of the new iPad Pros?

I'm asking because I recently got the new iPad Pro 10.5 that so far I freakin' love. However, I'm still inside of a return window. If you have seen concrete evidence that there's something very wrong with the new iPad Pros that will not be corrected with software, could you please share your opinion on this? Like I said, I'm loving mine... but if you've seen evidence that there's something very wrong with the hardware on this version of the iPad, maybe I should consider returning mine and waiting for the next revision in the Spring? I haven't unloaded my iPad Air2 yet.

• edited August 2017

Three things:

1. I tend to run off at the mouth. Don't take everything I say as if it was handed down from God Almighty on Mt. Ararat in stone tablets.

2. The issues that I'm referencing are largely my feelings about the 12.9. I have a 10.5 and am very happy with it and am perfectly capable of making full tracks without trouble. It's also worth noting that my tolerance for crashes or whatever is MUCH higher than a non-developer's, so something that may drive you crazy doesn't phase me at all. I don't think software is magic, and I fully expect it to crash at any minute. Honestly, I'm amazed when any given piece of software doesn't crash.

3. I have made, literally, tens of thousands of songs in my career. They are not precious to me. If I lose one, I don't rend my shirt and scream. I just say "oh, well" and start another one.

tl;dr: don't base your hardware buying decisions on my opinions. I am an extremely advanced edge case, so far out on the edge that I might as well be a space alien as far as you're concerned. Base your decisions on your needs, and what people that are doing what you want to do use and say.

• edited August 2017

Yeah, don't listen to @Chris_Randall; he said 'Two things' and then listed three :smiley:

BTW Love my 10.5" Pro too. I actually downsized from 1st gen 12.9" and am enjoying the smaller size!

• @excesseye said:
    Yeah, don't listen to @Chris_Randall; he said 'Two things' and then listed three :smiley:

I EDITED THAT. LEAVE ME ALONE! I HATE EVERYBODY!

Also, it was originally two. I added the third one to make myself sound cooler. Did it work?

• @Chris_Randall said:
    Two things:

1. I tend to run off at the mouth. Don't take everything I say as if it was handed down from God Almighty on Mt. Ararat in stone tablets.

2. The issues that I'm referencing are largely my feelings about the 12.9. I have a 10.5 and am very happy with it and am perfectly capable of making full tracks without trouble. It's also worth noting that my tolerance for crashes or whatever is MUCH higher than a non-developer's, so something that may drive you crazy doesn't phase me at all. I don't think software is magic, and I fully expect it to crash at any minute. Honestly, I'm amazed when any given piece of software doesn't crash.

3. I have made, literally, tens of thousands of songs in my career. They are not precious to me. If I lose one, I don't rend my shirt and scream. I just say "oh, well" and start another one.

tl;dr: don't base your hardware buying decisions on my opinions. I am an extremely advanced edge case, so far out on the edge that I might as well be a space alien as far as you're concerned. Base your decisions on your needs, and what people that are doing what you want to do use and say.

First, I don't take your word as gospel. ;) But, I've checked out some of your videos on Youtube and read many of your posts. You sound like a straight shooter and a sharp one at that. You've been much further under the hood than I'm capable of getting, so that's why I asked for your opinion before my return window passes.

Secondly, I hear what you're saying about some who seem to be a bit more demanding of their hardware than I am. I too plan on crashes and software hangs off and on. And there's nothing I've found in the new iPad Pro 10.5 that would prevent me from doing everything I'd like it to do and beyond. Frankly, I don't need to be able to run 20 instances of any AU, and for my needs... I'm usually good with just a few sprinkled here and there for fun.

My question to you was based more on your collective comments regarding the pros. I didn't take any single one beyond a bit of snark here and there. But as a whole, they started to concern me a bit.

Thanks for the feedback and reassurance. I think I'm good staying the course. :)

Having lots of fun with your apps. Looking forward to what's next on your iOS menu. Care to share the next sweet-ass AD app in the queue?

• @Chris_Randall said:
    Oh, and to answer that Dubstation "missing parameter" question, put it in Stereo mode, and you'll see that parameter is the second time knob. AudioUnits in general are not happy about renaming parameters, so depending on the host, it might not pick up the name unless the DAW actually started with the plug in stereo mode, but that's what it is.

Ah thanks very much! Understood!

• Okay, this is my personal opinion, based upon reading all the problem threads here, my own experience, and what I've talked about with other devs and the Roli people:

The iPad Pro 12.9 has an issue living somewhere in the video pipeline. The 10.5 also has this issue to a somewhat lesser extent. My feeling is that it is a RAM issue, and thus something Apple controls and can solve. Some of the host developers have discovered that timing the instancing of AUv3s when loading a project can alleviate it, and it is based in the view controller. This reinforces my general opinion that it is a solvable issue.

That is all I know at this point. I'm going, in about an hour, to purchase a 12.9 and see if I can't learn more. But what we have now is a situation where someone throws 8 instances of Eos at a track and then tries to break it, and then posts "AUDIO DAMAGE PLUGS CRASH EVERYTHING ZOMG!" You're not going to use 8 instances of Eos. That's just bad production, and the DAW is doing you a favor by crashing.

Note that everything above is my own opinion. Confirmation bias plays a huge hand in this sort of thing, and my bias, as an Apple user since the early 80s, is that they occasionally release dogs, and I'm carefully watching the 12.9 to see if it is a dog. The user's bias is the same as we often see in EuroRack: you spent a lot of money on this thing, so it is inherently good, and you're looking for reinforcement of that belief, and anything that undercuts it is bullshit, and the person that said it is an asshole. As you have noted, I'm a straight-shooter, and don't have any attachment to any particular gear, so my habit of saying "well, that thing's a piece of shit or whatever" tends to rub people looking for confirmation bias the wrong way.

(Don't get me started on peoples' sappy obsession for Roland analog stuff. We'll be here all day.)

• @Chris_Randall First off... if you're referring to me with regard to the several instances of AUs, I ONLY did that at the request of another user here. I personally don't give a fuck if I can run 10 billion instances of an AU and play with my iPad for 4 hrs without getting some latency. It doesn't matter to me in the slightest.

Secondly, I'm not looking for any purchase validation from anyone. I made an informed purchase decision that I'm very happy with so far. Other's here on the board seem to be constantly attacking the new Pros and suggesting there's something wrong. I too have been an Apple user for decades and I know there are sometimes "dogs" that Apple doesn't really make good on, and then fixes it in the next revision. An $800 tablet ain't cheap. If this one is a hardware fail/dog, I'd rather wait for the fix in the next revision. I don't trust Apple to make everything right if they made poor manufacturing decisions or installed faulty RAM etc.

• @skiphunt Exactly so. Your post was actually very helpful and started us on the road to a solve. There are several others here (and I've received a couple letters to the effect) where actual projects have an Eos on every track.

But your second paragraph is exactly what I'm saying. My feeling is that it's a software issue and will have a solve, or is something the host makers and us plug makers can work around.

• Pumphouse is lovely in one AUV3 instance in AUM but won't load up extra

It's not a device issue as I'm running a brand new iPhone 7 with no other apps in the background

@Chris_Randall

• I just wish I didn't have drive this one like the other one last week.

Effectrix used to irritate me sometimes worrying about a host to make it happen.

I bought it don't get me wrong.

But wanted to offer some honest feedback.

• Just got home from the Apple Store with a shiny new 12.9. Let's see what we see!

• Awe enjoy!

@Chris_Randall said:
    Just got home from the Apple Store with a shiny new 12.9. Let's see what we see!

• @Chris_Randall said:
    I EDITED THAT. LEAVE ME ALONE! I HATE EVERYBODY!

Your inner goth teen is showing.

• @Chris_Randall said:
    Just got home from the Apple Store with a shiny new 12.9. Let's see what we see!

Congratulation!
    My old iPad Pro 12.9 also have problems with 2-3 same AU3 plugins
    And yes it's big problem but I think it's really apple mistake (bug)

• @brambos said:

As opposed to my outer goth middle-aged dude.

• edited August 2017

@Chris_Randall said:

@brambos said:

As opposed to my outer goth middle-aged dude.

I always pictured you more like a pixelated gundam robot.

• This app looks cool i have other audiodamage and looks like a must, not like quatromod cant find any videos or audiodemos others that soundtestroom, amd im still donw know how it works exactly

• @Aphex said:
    This app looks cool i have other audiodamage and looks like a must, not like quatromod cant find any videos or audiodemos others that soundtestroom, amd im still donw know how it works exactly

It's good. It's basically a compressor modulated by a step sequencer instead of an input source. I guess technically you could set this up with automation in a daw but this is much easier and fun to do. :)

• @Carnbot said:

@Aphex said:
    This app looks cool i have other audiodamage and looks like a must, not like quatromod cant find any videos or audiodemos others that soundtestroom, amd im still donw know how it works exactly

It's good. It's basically a compressor modulated by a step sequencer instead of an input source. I guess technically you could set this up with automation in a daw but this is much easier and fun to do. :)

Thanx you are right my mistake i think i explain my point wrong (english not my first language) Pumphouse is easy to understand but quatromod is not because you cant find videos or audiodemos :)

• @Aphex said:

@Carnbot said:

@Aphex said:

Thanx you are right my mistake i think i explain my point wrong (english not my first language) Pumphouse is easy to understand but quatromod is not because you cant find videos or audiodemos :)

ah ok, I don't have that one yet :)

• There's not much to understand in QuatroMod. I'll make a video tomorrow, but basically, it's either a chorus, flanger, diffusion chorus (sort of like the front end of a reverb, without the tail), and frequency shifter (which is almost entirely, but not completely, like a pitch shifter). You pick which one you want to use in any given instance. There's nothing fancy about it, except that the four effects are very good (or very different, depending on your point of view) examples of those sorts of effects.

• wimwim
    edited August 2017

Hey @Chris_Randall, thanks for Pumphouse. I really like it! I'm no stranger to sidechaining and think it's cool enough but don't mess with it much just because of the setup and tweaking it usually leads me into. You just wiped all that away and made it fun to boot. :smile:

I thought of a suggestion. It would be nice to have a "multiplier" setting to effectively slow down and lengthen the pattern. I doubt I'm ever going to duck anything anywhere near 16 times in a single measure. I also try to avoid identical 1-measure patterns looping over and over. I tend to vary them at least a little within a 2 or 4 measure span.

If I could cut the speed of the pattern by 1/2 or 1/4 or more and stretch it out over a couple of bars, it would be more practical. This seems like maybe a simpler thing to ask than to have more steps available, since at most I'm probably ever going to use is 1 per beat.

Just a thought. I'm totally happy with Pumphouse. B)

• @thesoundtestroom Doug showed in his demo that this bad boy can be used for more than just EDM bass wub's, as he showed with the synth pad.

What I'd dig is if Pumphouse had either an independent metronome control or a double time/half time switch so say your in a goove going 95bpm on the transport, you could experiment with a synth Pumphouse sequence going 190bpm for crazy staccato/machine gun riffs. Or conversely your going track is really fast (140+ bpm) and you could run a sequence under it going half time. Depending on the instrument it'd be cool to experiment with.

Other than that, Pumphouse is a great idea executed with the quality Audio Damage is known for.

• If i can have four instances of apesoft mood running with four instances of eos2 in AUM then there should be no reason why I could not run just two instances of pumphouse as AUV3

Funny thing is that I can run one pumphouse AUV3 and one pumphouse standalone within AUM, but the preset manager of the non AUV3 version is not visible

On a side note @Chris_Randall , where is the universal version of phosphor synth?

• edited August 2017

@Chris_Randall said:
    Auria Pro doesn't have a full AUv3 implementation, and AUv3s that require host transport information (in our case Replicant 2 and Pumphouse) will not work at all. They'll just sit there looking pretty. Auria devs are aware of this, and have told me it will be implemented in "a future update."

Oh bollocks. I wish I'd known that. Just bought the app, and got silence in Auria Pro. Works fine in Cubasis. But judging how long it takes anything to get fixed with Auria Pro, I'm not holding my breath. Never mind, though, it's an interesting sounding app, so I'll use it where possible,