Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio Damage Pumphouse sidechain sequencer now available!

Comments

• @firejan82 said:

@brice said:

@firejan82 said:

@brice said:

@firejan82 said:
    There is already one sidechaining AU compressor - NYCompressor, but the sidechaining part is good for nothing at the moment since there is no AU host that supports sidechain inputs for AUs. Kymatica would probably want to add that to AUM before turning AUFX:PUSH into an AU.

NYCompressor's sidechain is an internal sidechain with filters......and could not be any further from "good for nothing." While I agree that the ability to sidechain via an external source will be great if/when it it happens, there are many benefits to the sidechaining functionality found in NYCompressor.

What I wrote is "the sidechaining part is good for nothing at the moment" and not "the NYCompressor is good for nothing" beacuse the sidechaining part is what's relevant to the topic. And I clearly don't even blame the NYCompressor developer for that in my post. And please, what do you mean by internal sidechain? it's just compression with parallel processing or wet knob right now as I understand it EDIT: <and some 2 channel mid side stuff that I hadn't explored yet> Or am missing something?

I understood what you wrote, and that is what I was replying to. The sidechain functionality of NYCompressor is not currently "good for nothing" as you stated. It's just a different use than what I think you are after. A compressor can have an external, internal (or both) sidechain source input. NYCompressor has an internal, and it is extremely useful. I'm not trying to be a smartass....I just think you may have missed what this functionality is useful for....?

Here is an example: send a drum loop through the compressor and apply a heavy amount of compression. If that drumloop has a kick drum with a lot of low end frequencies you will find that those frequencies trigger the compressor more so than anything else in the frequency range. But if you engage the internal sidechain and set the filter to ignore those low end frequencies, then it will do so, and apply compression to the just the frequencies you've defined. So instead of your drumloop getting crushed to pieces every time the kick drum plays, you will get a much more natural sounding compression across the board. IF that is what you're after. Obviously this is a different scenario than passing say a ghost kick drum through an external sidechain input to cause a rhythmic pumping effect on a bass line or synth pad, etc. But it is still extremely useful as a compression tool when mixing / sound designing.

I stand corrected. That is useful indeed. Thanks for the explanation.

You're welcome. It took me a while to wrap my head around it, so I'm happy to fast-track that knowledge for the next guy/gal. And also the mid/side mode in NYCompressor that you briefly mentioned above—that is definitely worth exploring, too. There is a whole lot of shaping you can do with that mode.

• @brice said:

@firejan82 said:

@brice said:

@firejan82 said:

@brice said:

@firejan82 said:
    There is already one sidechaining AU compressor - NYCompressor, but the sidechaining part is good for nothing at the moment since there is no AU host that supports sidechain inputs for AUs. Kymatica would probably want to add that to AUM before turning AUFX:PUSH into an AU.

NYCompressor's sidechain is an internal sidechain with filters......and could not be any further from "good for nothing." While I agree that the ability to sidechain via an external source will be great if/when it it happens, there are many benefits to the sidechaining functionality found in NYCompressor.

What I wrote is "the sidechaining part is good for nothing at the moment" and not "the NYCompressor is good for nothing" beacuse the sidechaining part is what's relevant to the topic. And I clearly don't even blame the NYCompressor developer for that in my post. And please, what do you mean by internal sidechain? it's just compression with parallel processing or wet knob right now as I understand it EDIT: <and some 2 channel mid side stuff that I hadn't explored yet> Or am missing something?

I understood what you wrote, and that is what I was replying to. The sidechain functionality of NYCompressor is not currently "good for nothing" as you stated. It's just a different use than what I think you are after. A compressor can have an external, internal (or both) sidechain source input. NYCompressor has an internal, and it is extremely useful. I'm not trying to be a smartass....I just think you may have missed what this functionality is useful for....?

Here is an example: send a drum loop through the compressor and apply a heavy amount of compression. If that drumloop has a kick drum with a lot of low end frequencies you will find that those frequencies trigger the compressor more so than anything else in the frequency range. But if you engage the internal sidechain and set the filter to ignore those low end frequencies, then it will do so, and apply compression to the just the frequencies you've defined. So instead of your drumloop getting crushed to pieces every time the kick drum plays, you will get a much more natural sounding compression across the board. IF that is what you're after. Obviously this is a different scenario than passing say a ghost kick drum through an external sidechain input to cause a rhythmic pumping effect on a bass line or synth pad, etc. But it is still extremely useful as a compression tool when mixing / sound designing.

I stand corrected. That is useful indeed. Thanks for the explanation.

You're welcome. It took me a while to wrap my head around it, so I'm happy to fast-track that knowledge for the next guy/gal. And also the mid/side mode in NYCompressor that you briefly mentioned above—that is definitely worth exploring, too. There is a whole lot of shaping you can do with that mode.

I certainly do feel slightly more motivated now to to figure out the mid/side stuff.

• @Chris_Randall see Junkie XL gave Audio Damage a shout out in his latest video (at the 15:35 mark)?

• is this out yet?

• @kobamoto said:
    is this out yet?

I don't think it's out yet for public. But testers like me have their hands on it already. And it's glorious :D

• good to know

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@kobamoto said:
    is this out yet?

I don't think it's out yet for public. But testers like me have their hands on it already. And it's glorious :D

The tease is strong }}} ] ] ] ] | | | B)

• edited August 2017

I just submitted Pumphouse for App Store review about half an hour ago. Right now, they seem to be at about 26-ish hours from submission to review, so it should be out mid-day (Pacific Coast time) tomorrow.

Note that, because this is iOS only, there is no Audio Damage store page nor manual for it. I'm hoping that its operation is self-evident, and I'm going to make a full overview video today that will show it in use, but later this week I'm going to build an iOS page for our website and I'll add a manual there.

I have a VST of it running in OS X (this is actually how I built it, since it is much faster to do VST dev than building an AUv3 and installing it on the iOS device over and over again) so if people want it, I could make a normal desktop version. But I just can't see it doing very well over there.

Anyhow, I submitted it at Tier 3 pricing, which is US$2.99 / £2.99 / 3,49 €. Once we come to a decision on the desktop version, that price may change.

• Great can't wait

• @Chris_Randall said:
    I just submitted Pumphouse for App Store review about half an hour ago. Right now, they seem to be at about 26-ish hours from submission to review, so it should be out mid-day (Pacific Coast time) tomorrow.

Note that, because this is iOS only, there is no Audio Damage store page nor manual for it. I'm hoping that its operation is self-evident, and I'm going to make a full overview video today that will show it in use, but later this week I'm going to build an iOS page for our website and I'll add a manual there.

I have a VST of it running in OS X (this is actually how I built it, since it is much faster to do VST dev than building an AUv3 and installing it on the iOS device over and over again) so if people want it, I could make a normal desktop version. But I just can't see it doing very well over there.

Anyhow, I submitted it at Tier 3 pricing, which is US$2.99 / £2.99 / 3,49 €. Once we come to a decision on the desktop version, that price may change.

Friggin heroes! :) Thank you guys.

• This makes me so, so, so HAPPY!
    :)

• Damned! This will be another one of those threads I'll be clicking to check when the download link is available :D

• No idea if I'd use this, but 'Sidechain Pumping' is a great name for a band. :)

• Weeeeeha!

• If only there was Thor AU....

• @o_imseng said:
    If only there was Thor AU....

Why would you want that when you have Alihoopla.......

• Love Thor!

@o_imseng said:

• @BiancaNeve said:

@o_imseng said:

Why would you want that when you have Alihoopla.......

Because it is still the most versatile synth on iOS in my opinion.

• Looking forward to this one! (I'd like to see a desktop version too.)
    Nothing to do with your product but I was a bit gutted to find out that you can't stack effects on a Cubasis Send channel...

I was hoping to create a mutant sidechain reverb combo that I've imagined for years but never been able to achieve within my desktop version of Cubase (Elements).

@LFS Hi Lars, any chance of this feature making it into Cubasis?

• please check your pm chris.

• Pumphouse is now available in the App Store, just in time for the AudioBus 3 update! Link to US store page:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pumphouse/id1270238019?ls=1&mt=8

Overview video coming in an hour or two.

• @Chris_Randall said:
    Pumphouse is now available in the App Store, just in time for the AudioBus 3 update! Link to US store page:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pumphouse/id1270238019?ls=1&mt=8

Overview video coming in an hour or two.

Snapped it up. ;) Thank Chris. I think Audio Damage is gonna go down as an iOS legend besides being a PC/Mac legend. Cheers.

• Note that in the description it says it doesn't work with AudioBus 3, but with today's AudioBus update it works fine. I've edited the text, but it will take a while to propagate.

• Looks lovely

• Bought with utmost enthusiasm - Thanks @Chris_Randall !

• I'm experiencing a want/need conundrum.

• Hahaha yeeees. Awesome little tool makes my iOS life so much easier.

• edited August 2017

I haven't messed with side-chaining much and when I did experiment with it a little, it was a bit complicated. I also don't really get into the kinds of bass-pumping music that side chaining is used in.

Those of you who are experienced with side-chaining, can you mention other uses of this technique that might be interesting to play with?

Another user a long time ago told me side-chaining can be used for special fx like creating the sonic illusion of a bomb exploding. Are there other interesting and experimental uses for something like this with regard to sound effects and sound design, beyond the bass-pumping stuff?

I'll likely grab this anyway because I like this developer and their apps I've used this far.

• Groovebox ducking effect similar?