Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DIY Midi Control Surface

I'm trying to figure out how to build a control surface with 33 motorized faders, pots, and a number of buttons and encoders. Problem is, it doesn't seem like any microcontrollers can handle that many analog, let alone powered, inputs. I'm still kinda new to this stuff, but I've looked high and low for some info on that and I haven't come up with much. I'm assuming I'll have to put together my own midi "brain", but I'm not sure what that all entails. Help?

Comments

• edited August 2017

well, I don't know of any human being capable to ride more than 2-4 faders simultanously.
    And I doubt that you plan to do an automated analog mix of so many channels either.
    (though the number 33 suggests something like 32 channels plus master)

DIY of such items from the ground up is demanding in both hardware and software.
    You may consider a Mackie/Pro Tools controller with extensions instead.
    (imho you definitely cannot build it cheaper than those units)

• Someone in another thread here mentioned this Doepfer diy midi board, looked great for someone that didn't want to spend a month coding something (or spending a year learning how to code something)doepfer.de/usb64.htm

I don't know about motorized pots though. If it were my project and it was a one off, I would use a couple bcf2000's.

One troubled aspect to motorized pots, is software support for talking back to the midi controller, so your motor pots update in a meaningful way. Ios is particularly barren with deep midi support, like you want.

The only iOS apps I have that support complete, 2 way communication with a midi controller, is Animoog (with MIDI IAP), Model 15, and Patterning. There is more on the PC.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/13537/deep-midi-question-any-synth-apps-send-their-knob-positions-out-to-external-midi-controllers#latest

OSC is an interesting way to go, rather than MIDI, if your software of choice supports it, because it is set up for two way communication, and does stuff like pass on channel names, parameters back to the controller.

• You need to make a custom (preferably arduino compatible) pcb for that many motor faders. In general motorized faders are quite complex and really expensive compared to non motorized ones. So much so that you might want to rethink if you really need motorized faders and if you could buy a product that already has them.