Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Samplebot

Comments

• edited August 2017

@ricksteruk said:
    MIDI BINDINGS..
    I've noticed you have done some ground work for scenes in that you can assign a control to "track1" in all scenes so your controls would work when you change scenes, or if you prefer you can set to "track1" on a specific scene.. Neat.

This all bodes very well for Loopy Pro :) (Right I am done gushing for now.)

Yeah, some spoilers in there ;-)

• @calixte said:
    Still waiting for an invitation...

Okay, signed you up.

For others: if you're interested, you should sign up here: https://samplebotapp.com

• @Michael said:

@asnor said:
    Can clip tails be trimmed? I can't seem to stop recording without adding a pop to the end of a clip when I tap to stop.

Ultimately (it may or may not make it into v1.0). I think that pop can be fixed by just moving the end record point a little before the tap, though.

I've developed the technique of rolling my finger on the pad instead of tapping it to stop, which works, but how can I move the end record point before the tap? Thanks!

Sorry if this is stupidly obvious. You're probably regretting not vetting your beta testers now. I've managed to figure out how to clear pads, however :smiley:

• @asnor said:
    I've developed the technique of rolling my finger on the pad instead of tapping it to stop, which works, but how can I move the end record point before the tap? Thanks!

Oh, that's something I have to do =D It's a matter of basically throwing away the last bit of audio before recording stopped, but that's all me. I should have it sorted in the next build.

Sorry if this is stupidly obvious. You're probably regretting not vetting your beta testers now. I've managed to figure out how to clear pads, however :smiley:

Good lord no, there's nothing worse than testers who know everything ;-)

• edited August 2017

@Michael said:

@cabo said:
    for example: how do I get the drumloops going?

You're not the first to comment on that one - I think it needs some prompting. The idea with the drum patterns is you select the pattern then tap in the drum track to place it on the timeline where you tapped. Then, it'll play using the three drum samples (which you record). I thought about auto-filling the timeline when you select a drum pattern, but I think that might be the wrong approach - I'd prefer to prompt the first few times, indicating where to tap to place the pattern. Thoughts welcome!

Thanks, the dragging was intuitive enough for me but needing samples loaded got me stumped. Maybe start with some er, sample, samples?

Looking good though, very immediate.

+1 for dragging the timeline marker, trimming (really really needed), in-app import and editing pad names

• @Michael said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    Michael, any chance of record quantization?

I can probably swing that.. can it be a constant, so I can just make an on/off switch in settings? Like, semiquavers? (Uh, sixteenth notes)

("swing" was a poor choice of words. No, I'll probably not add swing as an option this time around ;-))

I would love an on/off and a percentage value that you can choose. Quantization can be somewhat robotic - having a percentage humanises it in a good way.

• @Michael said:

@db909 said:
    love the interface! Will there be a way to import audio in the future? Though I am definitely excited about recording random stuff from the mic

There actually is now, but it's pretty invisible at present: it works via "Open In" from other apps. But I'm thinking I'll probably add a pad editor screen, where you can name pads, trim them, and audio copy/paste. And probably adjust vol and bal.

Slower than the rest of the cohorts here, but making my way and amongst the other thoughts/tips/suggestions the idea of the pad editor screen definitely gets a big upvote from me.

• edited August 2017

So much to like about what's going on with this app! The midi bindings are fantastic and point to a happy day when Loopy Pro arrives.

I was happy to see that split screen is supported, so here's a hint for everyone: put Samplebot in the left panel of your iPad and Audioshare in the right panel. Find your samples in AS, use "open in", tap on the pad in SB. So easy!

Looking forward to AB3 and Link support. The auto trimming is a nice feature but doesn't always work even at the front so some easy way of trimming both ends would be appreciated.

@Michael how to report bugs? Through test flight?

And am I missing a way to mute pads?

Also, how to set the loop length on the iPhone?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I was happy to see that split screen is supported, so here's a hint for everyone: put Samplebot in the left panel of your iPad and Audioshare in the right panel. Find your samples in AS, use "open in", tap on the pad in SB. So easy!

Will have to wrestle the Air2 away from the wife and give it a try. :star:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Also, how to set the loop length on the iPhone?

double tap the timeline

• @asnor got it on phone loop length! Thx

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    so here's a hint for everyone: put Samplebot in the left panel of your iPad and Audioshare in the right panel. Find your samples in AS, use "open in", tap on the pad in SB. So easy!

that helped, thx

I got a beat going

:smiley:

• Can you turn the metronome sound on and off?

• The split screen, AudioShare, open in works great. How do I get the samples to play continuously? And can they be arranged to play in order? I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

• Yep I'm simple. Just arrange the order in the sequencer. AB in and Link will help and love the idea of the pad editor screen.

• Congrats on the beta release @Michael .

Just had a random idea. Could triggering be set so when you tap it with one finger it plays a one shot, with two the whole sample and three fingers loops the sample in latch? This way it could be played live without the need for the sequencer. I'm not sure the squares are big enough for three finger action though.

• With the loop positioning and setting length in Samplebot it would be good if you could set how many times you could repeat the loop to play the selected amount of bars you have chosen and have a way of setting multiply loop points across the timeline maybe. Also to add in a button to return the time cursor to zero rather than manually having to tap and drag it. A lot of today's iPad covers I find slightly restrict your touches on top and bottom of screens where the cursor sits. I know not the devs problem but it's a point. Also can you move the coloured block samples around or are they fixed on the grid?

• I hope with iOS 11 and the new folders system that with split screen your be able to just drag and drop samples direct from AudioShare rather than go through all the steps of open in/ export.

• Good to see the sequencer is very responsive for inputting notes quickly at different GUI resolutions small and big and the app is not plagued with accidentally inputting wrong notes because of it. Great.

• @supadom said:
    Congrats on the beta release @Michael .

Just had a random idea. Could triggering be set so when you tap it with one finger it plays a one shot, with two the whole sample and three fingers loops the sample in latch? This way it could be played live without the need for the sequencer. I'm not sure the squares are big enough for three finger action though.

You are looking for the full Loopy Pro, methinks... Take a peek into the Samplebot midi bindings for the best view of what's coming.

• I noticed a few things that I feel is really needed both here and in Loopy, that is the ability to trim each sample.

The time loop mode looks to be set to quantize on the ¼ note ( or dependent on the zoom level )without the possibility to be overlapped. It would be nice if this was adjustable to other variables and to have free placement on the timeline.

I haven’t found a way to add labels to the pads. ( I’m old and my memory stinks. ) And maybe have the labels appear in the representative timeline.

Oh, and as long as I have my wish list going, being able to record from a AUv3 instrument. Or for that matter being able to use this as an AUv3 instrument. Is it going to be AB compatible?

But for the most part it has a good work flow and is visually appealing and a lot of fun.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    So much to like about what's going on with this app! The midi bindings are fantastic and point to a happy day when Loopy Pro arrives.

Sweet!

@Michael how to report bugs? Through test flight?

Yup, through TF, via email is easiest for me

And am I missing a way to mute pads?

Hold to play while holding; tap to play all the way through. It's not tap-to-toggle like in Loopy (because otherwise you can't finger drum!)

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Can you turn the metronome sound on and off?

Next build

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:
    Congrats on the beta release @Michael .

You are looking for the full Loopy Pro, methinks... Take a peek into the Samplebot midi bindings for the best view of what's coming.

Yep, that's a bit much for this app =) (and thanks!)

• @Jumpercollins said:
    With the loop positioning and setting length in Samplebot it would be good if you could set how many times you could repeat the loop to play the selected amount of bars you have chosen and have a way of setting multiply loop points across the timeline maybe. Also to add in a button to return the time cursor to zero rather than manually having to tap and drag it. A lot of today's iPad covers I find slightly restrict your touches on top and bottom of screens where the cursor sits. I know not the devs problem but it's a point. Also can you move the coloured block samples around or are they fixed on the grid?

That's more of a Pro feature, I think =) Yeah, you can move them around (quantise based on zoom level)

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Good to see the sequencer is very responsive for inputting notes quickly at different GUI resolutions small and big and the app is not plagued with accidentally inputting wrong notes because of it. Great.

Wow, you're the first person to say nice things about the sequence editor quantisation =) Most people are having trouble with it, not quite sure how to solve it yet

• On the manual front would like to see some info on the midi bindings, could never really get my head around them in loopy. If someone could do a UT please. Got a launchpad, nano Kontrol 2 and Keystep so should be able to connect up one of them to use with this app.

• How's the real-time manipulation of sample-paramaters?
    For a simple sample-player the Volca Sample is pretty neat :)

• @Samu said:
    How's the real-time manipulation of sample-paramaters?
    For a simple sample-player the Volca Sample is pretty neat :)

There is none. You record or import and sequence, either by playing live or dropping things on a timeline

• edited August 2017

how do I install the updated version?

• @cabo said:
    how do I install the updated version?

Open TestFlight and install from there