Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Surprise! Introducing my new app, Samplebot.

Comments

• Sent you an email.

• @JudgeDredd said:
    Having the ability to trim the sounds is wonderful. All seems to be working.

Yes, was missing this from the very beginning! Thank you.

• This is genius!

How hard would it be set up the "track" view in Samplebot to arm the first colored instance of a loop to record in that instance and playback on all subsequent? That would be a KILLER feature!

Plz, plz, plz, oh, pretty plz?

• Ah, you're the second person to suggest that, @mrjantz - not hard at all, I can do that.

• @mrjantz said:
    This is genius!

How hard would it be set up the "track" view in Samplebot to arm the first colored instance of a loop to record in that instance and playback on all subsequent? That would be a KILLER feature!

That's a cool idea. Can I ask what your use case is?

• Can't wait to try it out. If it works like I think it's going to, I'll send you a video of the results.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:
    This is genius!

Live loop performance. This would be the holy grail for verse-chorus loopers. Not to mention an Ableton killer.

• @mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:
    This is genius!

Live loop performance. This would be the holy grail for verse-chorus loopers. Not to mention an Ableton killer.

Hmmmm. But can't Loopy and other live loopers already do this?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:
    This is genius!

Not in a sequenced, pre-programmed way like Ableton Live.

• @mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:
    This is genius!

Sorry to keep peppering you with questions but I'm interested in how others will use this app. Will you pre-program the whole verse/chorus sequence prior to playing it live? If not, how do you switch between verse and chorus?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:
    This is genius!

Sorry to keep peppering you with questions but I'm interested in how others will use this app. Will you pre-program the whole verse/chorus sequence prior to playing it live? If not, how do you switch between verse and chorus?

Yes. Pre-programmed.

But still build it as you go. I've seen some cool artists build part of the chorus in an intro, but not fully fleshed out, so as to give the chorus away. With each pass, (chorus and verse) more elements are added. I hope to to to this with a 4 piece band. Each of us adding different elements with each section. Really looking forward to Michael making it possible to "arm" the first pass and then program subsequent instances of said loop. Getting excited!

• @mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:
    This is genius!

Yes. Pre-programmed.

But still build it as you go. I've seen some cool artists build part of the chorus in an intro, but not fully fleshed out, so as to give the chorus away. With each pass, (chorus and verse) more elements are added. I hope to to to this with a 4 piece band. Each of us adding different elements with each section. Really looking forward to Michael making it possible to "arm" the first pass and then program subsequent instances of said loop. Getting excited!

Very cool. I've contemplated the same approach but I hate to lock in set lengths for song parts, so I'm keen for Michael to consider either muting of tracks or multiple foot-switchable looping sections (likely a feature of Loopy Pro) to be able to distinguish different song parts.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:
    This is genius!

Yes. Pre-programmed.

Very cool. I've contemplated the same approach but I hate to lock in set lengths for song parts, so I'm keen for Michael to consider either muting of tracks or multiple foot-switchable looping sections (likely a feature of Loopy Pro) to be able to distinguish different song parts.

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@mrjantz said:
    This is genius!

Yes. Pre-programmed.

Agreed.

If the functionality of preprogrammed song structures can be implemented, it shouldn't be difficult to create "pause and reset" points for missed entrances or extended solos, repeat chorus, etc.

If there's anyway to limit the tap dance, I'm all for it.

• In theory, it should be quite cool =) Warning: I'm not gonna be doing this for 1.0 as I'm rapidly approaching a hard deadline and can't afford the extra test/debug cycle on it. But I'll do it after, I think, if the workflow feels good.

• @Michael said:
    In theory, it should be quite cool =) Warning: I'm not gonna be doing this for 1.0 as I'm rapidly approaching a hard deadline and can't afford the extra test/debug cycle on it. But I'll do it after, I think, if the workflow feels good.

Understood.

Really super app! And REALLY REALLY looking forward to you adding this "first pass record" functionality!

• When will this be available in the App Store?

• had some crashes in Audiobus in a short time today and switched to Loopy then

• Can someone please tell me what this app can do that can't be achieved in Samplr or Bm3? Thanks

• Yes perhaps sum up the added features of samplebot What is new we could not do already kind of list?

• @Telstar5 said:
    Can someone please tell me what this app can do that can't be achieved in Samplr or Bm3? Thanks

So far, you can do way more in BM3 and Samplr. It would require a little more work in Samplr but could be done to some degree. I think this app was meant to be much simpler than all that.

• Yes it's a simpler app than BM3. I think of it as a cross between loopy and a really old Akai MPC machine.

It's so simple to use I think it could be really good for a first app for getting people into sampling and looping. The interface is clear, uncluttered and the app is fun to use.

Obviously Michael has done a lot of the ground work for Loopy Pro in the background here and some of that can be seen in the midi bindings.

• I agree with @ricksteruk that it feels a bit like an app aimed at non-musician consumers--it's certainly easy enough to use with no musical know-how. And I mean that as a high compliment because it's way, way harder to make things simple and intuitive than designed for experts. I also agree that it gives insights into Loopy Pro that are very exciting!

And finally, I have been playing with Werkbench and there are lots of similarities in the use cases between the two apps--the big difference being that Samplebot presents pads to play the samples, whereas Werkbench presents the step sequencer.

• @ricksteruk said:
    Yes it's a simpler app than BM3. I think of it as a cross between loopy and a really old Akai MPC machine.

It's so simple to use I think it could be really good for a first app for getting people into sampling and looping. The interface is clear, uncluttered and the app is fun to use.

Obviously Michael has done a lot of the ground work for Loopy Pro in the background here and some of that can be seen in the midi bindings.

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I agree with @ricksteruk that it feels a bit like an app aimed at non-musician consumers--it's certainly easy enough to use with no musical know-how. And I mean that as a high compliment because it's way, way harder to make things simple and intuitive than designed for experts. I also agree that it gives insights into Loopy Pro that are very exciting!

And finally, I have been playing with Werkbench and there are lots of similarities in the use cases between the two apps--the big difference being that Samplebot presents pads to play the samples, whereas Werkbench presents the step sequencer.

Thanks for this insight. I have been wondering what this is exactly, and now it is becoming clearer. I couldn't really tell much from that short Jimmy Fallon clip posted earlier.

• In some ways on first impression it feels like Samplebot is for live sampling what Bebot is for synths. A gateway drug of sorts: simple, cute, and a heckuva lot of fun. Maybe not fair to compare to the "big boy" samplers at first glance...

But then you dig into the details and see it has Loopy's serious MIDI built into its DNA so it will probably be more capable than you would first expect. I think this will be a serious live tool.

I have to smile seeing that Jimmy Fallon is a beta tester. I'm curious to see if he is working on a performance for his show.

• Did a quick jam with Samplebot. Mostly Moog Model 15 and some ripped Patterning cloud kit drums. It became my number one go to jamming app. Pure joy to use!

Please forgive the poor quality, it's my first YouTube video... :*

• Nicely done!

• Really nice!
    So how would I use this in my workflow. How long can the recorded sample be?

@Heiliger_Bimbam said:

Did a quick jam with Samplebot. Mostly Moog Model 15 and some ripped Patterning cloud kit drums. It became my number one go to jamming app. Pure joy to use!

Please forgive the poor quality, it's my first YouTube video... :*

• Only 'bad' thing I've found so far is that I need to get a new iPhone as my iPhone 5 running iOS10.3.3 is not supported :)