Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Group the loop or looperverse

124»

Comments

• Unfortunately, neither one of those conditions apply. I don't see a "headphone" offering in the output arrow, and my headphones don't have a mic (they are AKG 271 Mkii).

My iRig Pro I / O shows bright blue and red lights, so I assume it's plugged in. The batteries are freshly recharged.

But wait, there's more....

Now, plugging in the iRig Pro STOPS the mic input from producing output. By this I mean: without it, the iPad internal mic works in GLT, but with it, no output sound (but there IS input sound, as the bar in GTL is making waves and there is a recording, by virtue of me seeing not a flat line but audio waves.

This is REALLY weird, because I successfully used the same set-up to loop my saxophone the other night.

I used the following order of hooking things up:

1. plug in headphones
    2. plug in iRig Pro (with Shure 98 mic already attached)
    3. turn on iPad
    4. open Audiobus
    5. add system input as input
    6. add GTL as output
    7. go to GTL
    8. try to record

So, am I using the wrong order?

This is TOTALLY frustrating!

Thank you....

• I believe best best practices is to plug in the iRig after the device is turned on.

If the iRig pro has a headphone out, you should monitor through it. I don't have an iRig pRo, but it seems likely that the internal mic is not usable while the iRig pro is plugged in. That is true of my iRig HD and the other audio interfaces I use.

The os (I think) only allows one input driver at a time.

• edited August 2018

@Skyscrapersax said:
    Unfortunately, neither one of those conditions apply. I don't see a "headphone" offering in the output arrow, and my headphones don't have a mic (they are AKG 271 Mkii).

My iRig Pro I / O shows bright blue and red lights, so I assume it's plugged in. The batteries are freshly recharged.

But wait, there's more....

Now, plugging in the iRig Pro STOPS the mic input from producing output. By this I mean: without it, the iPad internal mic works in GLT, but with it, no output sound (but there IS input sound, as the bar in GTL is making waves and there is a recording, by virtue of me seeing not a flat line but audio waves.

This is REALLY weird, because I successfully used the same set-up to loop my saxophone the other night.

I used the following order of hooking things up:

1. plug in headphones
    2. plug in iRig Pro (with Shure 98 mic already attached)
    3. turn on iPad
    4. open Audiobus
    5. add system input as input
    6. add GTL as output
    7. go to GTL
    8. try to record

So, am I using the wrong order?

This is TOTALLY frustrating!

Thank you....

Most probably... as @espiegel123 pointed iOS can use more than 1 core audio device for input/output (it means one for input without outputs or one for output without inputs) so when you plug someone with one of these overrides any other plugged before (last plug take control) an any usb/lightning device usually disables internal mic and headphones. In fact ifyou plug a midi controller with integrated audio and later you connect another audio interface through hub... the midi side will keep working but audio will be override by second interface). The inconsistencies you are experienced are due to that.
    GTL could have a bug but this behaviour is common to any app since we are talking about how core audio and midi are coded in iOS (maybe someday we will found aggreggated devices?)

So the usual correct way to plug things is...
    1- Connect any usb devices to an usb hub (if powered better)
    2- Connect the hub into cck3.
    3- Connect cck3 into iOS device with all switched in advance...

In your situation...

@espiegel123 smartly said:
    I believe best best practices is to plug in the iRig after the device is turned on.

If the iRig pro has a headphone out, you should monitor through it. I don't have an iRig pRo, but it seems likely that the internal mic is not usable while the iRig pro is plugged in. That is true of my iRig HD and the other audio interfaces I use.

The os (I think) only allows one input driver at a time.

You are right. It has headphone output in the interface so trying to things how aren’t supose to work arises these kinds of frustrating iPad behaviours.

So @Skyscrapersax first of all debug your hardware and when it’s solved try the rest of advices.

• Thanks for all the good input!

This set up is for busking, on the street, in Manhattan. I don't actually have headphones there; I have a line out from my iPad to my amplifier. If I "monitor" the microphone (Shure 98, which clips on the bell of my saxophone) through iRig Pro's headphone out, I won't be able to hear the "rhythm section" (bass, drums, keys) that I've created on GTL on my iPad.

I'm not going to actually be using my iPad's internal mic on the busk at all.

And, of course, I don't need to amplify my saxophone at all. I've been playing it (same horn!) for 45 years. That's not a typo. The only reason for the microphone is to loop it.

I'll try plugging in my iRig Pro I/O last and see if that solves the problem. Maybe I did that inadvertently on the last busk.

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Thanks for all the good input!

This set up is for busking, on the street, in Manhattan. I don't actually have headphones there; I have a line out from my iPad to my amplifier. If I "monitor" the microphone (Shure 98, which clips on the bell of my saxophone) through iRig Pro's headphone out, I won't be able to hear the "rhythm section" (bass, drums, keys) that I've created on GTL on my iPad.

And, of course, I don't need to amplify my saxophone at all. I've been playing it (same horn!) for 45 years. That's not a typo. The only reason for the microphone is to loop it.

I'll try plugging in my iRig Pro I/O last and see if that solves the problem. Maybe I did that inadvertently on the last busk.

If I understood right you need dedicated output for rhythm section and another for monitoring... well aside buying a new Multichannel audio interface...
    You can try panning rhythym section to left and mic input to right. AUM app will be useful for that and bus routing.

:wink:

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Thanks for all the good input!

If you plugged in the iRig before powering on the iPad then it would be random whether the internal mic or iRig would be available. If you plug it in last that should help it to be recognized.

I’m pretty sure you want to use the iRig Pro’s headphone out to connect to your amplifier. I think what comes out of there is the iOS output, including GTL, and not just monitoring of the input signal. I don’t know which model exactly you have, but if it has a headphone jack then it’s probably the iRig Pro I/O and I believe takes over as both input and output device.

Just a caution: I know you’re using an amp connected to one of the outputs on the busk. However, if when you’re testing at home, if you do plug in headphones that have a microphone into the headphone jack on your iPad, as soon as you do, the headphones are likely to steal the I/O from the iRig.

I suggest trying first with your output (headphones or aux cord to amp) plugged into the iRig to see if that works. If it doesn’t then unplug the iRig, plug in the aux cord or headphones to the iPad, then plug in the iRig. Always plug the iRig in last, and always when the iPad is turned on, not off. It shouldn’t matter what you plug / unplug from the iRig and when, but it does matter what you plug into the iPad and when.

Take a deep breath. There is a combination that works, and will work every time. It just has to be understood step by step.

• I'll try the panning. I am unaware of any other audio interfaces for iPad. I have ones for my laptop. Of course, I need small and light, because I am schlepping a tenor saxophone, a keyboard, an amp, various busking supplies, etc. throughout Manhattan's subways, stairs, streets, etc. and one can only carry so much. I have a kick-ass cart that I can put the handle of into my elbow and climb those stairs. But every pound counts, and I'm at my desired limit. That's one reason I don't want a hardware looper. I already have the iPad for the keyboard sounds and reading tunes I don't have memorized, so it's nothing extra to bring.

• I fully believe you can find a solution that works with what you have. It’s just a matter of breaking down what is going wrong step by step.

I have an iRig Pro (not the I/O, so no headphone jack), and I can make it work 100% of the time. But it just requires an understanding of how audio flows in iOS. It’s nothing like traditional hardware. Of course one would plug everything into an amp before powering it on, as you did with the iRig and your iPad. But it’s actually the opposite that is needed. In fact, unplugging and plugging it back in is the solution to many problems. I’ve had the iPad steal back the I/O before for no apparent reason. Plug/Unplug and the iRig comes back.

• wimwim
    edited August 2018

BTW ... if battery life an issue for your sessions, then you might want to consider an Apple USB 3 adapter so that you can have both power and I/O plugged in at the same time.

The only caveat is sometimes you can get AC buzz with power and I/O plugged in at the same time. The answer in that case is to use a battery bank. More weight though...

• @wim said:
    BTW ... if battery life an issue for your sessions, then you might want to consider an Apple USB 3 adapter so that you can have both power and I/O plugged in at the same time.

The only caveat is sometimes you can get AC buzz with power and I/O plugged in at the same time. The answer in that case is to use a battery bank. More weight though...

I do carry a battery bank, since my phone battery must always be charged for excursions to NYC! I have the Apple camera connection kit with USB, so I'm all set in that department.

• @wim said:
    I fully believe you can find a solution that works with what you have. It’s just a matter of breaking down what is going wrong step by step.

I have an iRig Pro (not the I/O, so no headphone jack), and I can make it work 100% of the time. But it just requires an understanding of how audio flows in iOS. It’s nothing like traditional hardware. Of course one would plug everything into an amp before powering it on, as you did with the iRig and your iPad. But it’s actually the opposite that is needed. In fact, unplugging and plugging it back in is the solution to many problems. I’ve had the iPad steal back the I/O before for no apparent reason. Plug/Unplug and the iRig comes back.

Here's the thing: I can ONLY get a mic to work WITHOUT Audiobus. Either the built in mic or the Shure 98 via the iRig Pro I/O. And, for whatever reason, I do NOT see the arrow on audio input in Audiobus for "system input."

I'm obviously new to Apple. I have an Android phone and a Windows computer. As my nephew would put it (he's a programmer), I've "joined the dark side."

• When my iRig HD is plugged in, I can monitor the iPad not just the audio input. I would guess that the iRig Pro is similar.

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    I'm obviously new to Apple. I have an Android phone and a Windows computer. As my nephew would put it (he's a programmer), I've "joined the dark side."

Yes definitely a subject to avoid with my brother who is also a Windows programmer.

• OK, HERE'S SOME SUCCESS!!!!:

I have the i Rip Pro IN AND OUT (I / 0). It's the latest and greatest.

Apparently, it DEMANDS that one plug one's headphones into IT'S headphone out - NOT into the iPad's!

And, I could easily switch between the Korg Gadget (which has parts of the M1 in it, in it's "Darwin"), and my Shure 98 sax mic!

Yeah!

But...

This is for LOOPERVERSE...

NOT for Group the Loop, which still doesn't work for this set up.

GTL is GREAT for "A" and "B" song sections on the fly for busking...

I don't know if Looperverse can do this or, if it can, do so so easily..

They sell a thing called "Hook." Maybe that would work?

Thoughts?

• wimwim
    edited August 2018

Is GTL in Audiobus or standalone? If in standalone, you should be able to switch between the iRig and InterApp audio. I can’t think why that wouldn’t work.

If in Audiobus, then:

• GTL in the output box in Audiobus.
    • Audiobus selected as the input in GTL
    • Switch between the iRig and any apps you want to use in the input box that goes to GTL in Audiobus.
    • Leave GTL always set to Audiobus input.

This really should work. I think we’re close. I wouldn’t complicate things by bringing in other apps. Yet. At least not until you have the basic I/O setup working.

• edited August 2018

@Skyscrapersax said:
    OK, HERE'S SOME SUCCESS!!!!:

I have the i Rip Pro IN AND OUT (I / 0). It's the latest and greatest.

Apparently, it DEMANDS that one plug one's headphones into IT'S headphone out - NOT into the iPad's!

And, I could easily switch between the Korg Gadget (which has parts of the M1 in it, in it's "Darwin"), and my Shure 98 sax mic!

@Skyscrapersax said:
    I'm obviously new to Apple

Yeah!

But...

This is for LOOPERVERSE...

NOT for Group the Loop, which still doesn't work for this set up.

GTL is GREAT for "A" and "B" song sections on the fly for busking...

I don't know if Looperverse can do this or, if it can, do so so easily..

They sell a thing called "Hook." Maybe that would work?

Thoughts?

@Dubbylabby said:

@Skyscrapersax said:
    Last night on busk, I used GTL for saxophone with my Shure 98 clip on mic and an IK Multimedia iRig Pro - it worked great.

I also used my Korg Gadget and / or M1 and their various bass, electric piano and synth sounds with my CME xKey - this also worked great.

But...

I cannot figure out how to set things up to EASILY switch between sax (with external mic) and iPad-housed keyboard, bass, etc. on the Korg M1 or Gadget.

As a result, I had (A) sax based loops and (B) electric piano / synth and bass based loops.

But not a loop with both of these things.

M1 and Gadget ALSO show up as "Inter-App Audio, without using Audiobus.

"Inter-App Audio" shows up as an input on GTL, and so does
    mic" - but not as two choices for easy, on the fly switching in "Settings."

I haven't figured out how to select BOTH "mic" AND "Korg M1 / Gadget" as Audiobus input sources for GTL (or anything else....).

On the busk in the field (Greenwich Village, NYC), with money flying by me (i.e., pedestrian street traffic), I have ZERO time to waste "setting things up." One never knows if the next $20 bill with my name on it will escape while I'm fiddling with my iPad instead of making music for the people.

So....

What is the EASIEST, QUICKEST way to accomplish the above in GLT?

Thanks....

AUM.

• edited August 2018

@Dubbylabby said:

AUM.

Yes I will be getting AUM.

• edited August 2018
    1. It actually DID WORK in GTL in Inter App Audio (no Audiobus....) I successfully looped a Drumperfect Pro Part, a Korg Gadget Bass Part, and some Scat vocals by me.

The key here appears to be plugging my headphones into my i Rip Pro's headphone monitor instead of my iPad's headphone out port.

Note that GTL says "input 1," not anything to do with a microphone. I switch between that for the Shure 98 mic and Inter App Audio for the bass, drums, etc. The only bummer here is that it is one app at a time, and I have to scroll past all the apps (and for some of them, 12 versions of them for some reason or another) to get to the one I want.

1. Still no luck with Audiobus - no output.
  • Yes, I will be getting AUM soon...

• So, I think your next step is getting all your inputs working as you like in AB3 without GTL.

Then, once you have that, set the destination for each of your inputs to GTL from Audiobus.

• Where are you sending the Audiobus output? Can you post a screenshot of your audiobus setup pages?

• Yes, there is no reason you shouldn’t be able to get output in AB3. It’s probably just not set up right. To do a screenshot, press the power and home buttons at the same time. It’ll pause as a little rectangle in the bottom left of your screen, then save to your photos.

The setup below works. Make sure the output at the end of the chain in GTL at the top is enabled (Green). You mentioned that you don’t want the microphone active all the time. In that case you would just remove it from the left-hand lane in Audiobus and add it back when you need it. Leave the input as AudioBus always. Or ... just turn down the input to zero on the iRig when you don’t want it.

Of course, if it’s working without Audiobus you may not want to bother.

• Or ... if it makes you feel better, you can also put GTL in its own lane heading to the Audiobus output. The advantage to this would be being able to control all volumes from the Mixer page.

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Yes, I will be getting AUM soon...

Honestly, I don’t see what it brings to the party for your use-case. But who knows maybe it’ll make more sense to you than Audiobus.

• wim, I set mine up exactly as yours. No matter what I do, "system audio input" refuses to recognize the i Rig Pro i/o OR the internal iPad mic in Audiobus. (System audio OUTPUT is recognized, however). Maybe the problem is that I have the "i/o" (which I think is relatively new) and there is a bug in it? (actually, that cannot be the case, since the internal mic is not recognized...). So, maybe the problem is that I have not "upgraded" to ios 11 (I have 10.3 whatever. This is on the advice of my programmer nephew, who insists that ios 11 will intentionally slow my iPad down, and that Apple is evil in this regard. I take no position one way or another).

Do YOU see the arrows of "i Rig Pro" for your "system audio input" in Audiobus?

Does YOUR set up (as above) work with the internal iPad mic?

I will try to figure out how to get back to this page on my iPad and do that screen shot, but it will have to be tomorrow. Regardless, I think it's clear that the problem is the failure of "system audio input" to recognize ANY mic in Audiobus (not just the i Rig Pro). ANY mic.

Back to fiddling....

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Do YOU see the arrows of "i Rig Pro" for your "system audio input" in Audiobus?

Yes.

Does YOUR set up (as above) work with the internal iPad mic?

No, of course not. There can only be one audio input device, either the iRig or the iPad mic.

The two variables are that I have an earlier iRig Pro with no onboard headphone output, and I’m on the latest iOS version. I suggest you update, but that’s up to you.

• EUREKA!!!!

I googled "Audiobus" "system audio input" and "microphone":

And, elsewhere on this forum:

"I've got an irig pro duo as my input. This works fine when not using Audiobus 3.

When I set up a simple route; the System Audio Input (INPUT) to the System Audio Output (OUTPUT), there's no sound. No sound shows up in the Mixer either.

I've tried various other outputs (jamup, loopy etc) - this does not work.
    I've tried other inputs e.g. DrumJam - this works.
    I've even used Quantiloop which allows an Input Passthrough as the Input, then to System Audio Output - this works.

Anyone got any ideas?"

ANSWER:

"Interesting! Have you got mic permissions enabled in the Settings app, for Audiobus?"

OP:

"You legend, that was it.

Is this a common idiot mistake?"

ME: Um, apparently. MIC PERMISSIONS in the iPAD "settings" was "off."

Turning it on makes it work!

Odd, though why Looperverse didn't require this...

So, PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks, everybody!

Now, if I can just get GTL to make it so "A", "B", "C", etc. sections can play in sequence without me pushing a button for that.

I assume "record session" is how to "export"?

• Jeff
  • It’s always the simple things. I’m so in the habit of always answering yes to that prompt for any music app it never occurred to me.

• edited August 2018

I recomend AUM since bus routing but obviously AB3 could perfectly match the needs too.
    For mic permisions it’s a prompted screen any time you install/reinstall an app requiring it so loopverse surely ask you in some moment and you hit “yes”, Audiobus made it too and you maybe hit “no” (sometimes these prompt windows are hidden by “notifications” prompt windows or app switching... and that’s it.
    Now be sure to have in each app you need mic set up “on” or “allow” and also “working in background” if you want to keep things flowing in app switching AB/AUM should facilitate these things but sometimes is a try and miss process as you notice.

Glad to know your set is finally working :wink:

• I don't recall denying GTL mic permissions, my but of course that't possible. Maybe so because I plugged in my iRip Pro and briefly said "well, it's not a mic, and I can plug non-mic things into the iRig Pro, so deny."

Thanks for all the good input! I will check out AUM.

• Jeff