Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Group the loop or looperverse

Comments

• Thanks for the reply, jmarshallgtl!

I can indeed play Neo Soul Keys when I'm in GTL, but I cannot record what I play as a loop (which is the goal).

The method you described will allow me to hear, but not record, NSK.

Am I correct?

NSK is so far superior to any other EP app out there, it's THE thing to use! And this is coming from a person (me) who actually owns a real 1974 Fender Rhodes Mark 1 88 key stage piano - the real deal.

If I can't record NSK, I'll use the Korg Gadget for now.

If I wanted to use, say, iFrettless bass and Korg Gadget at the same time, how would I do this? Add both the an Audiobus chain?

I've had this issue with NSK on other apps (Cubasis) as well. I don't know why NSK is an "audio unit," but so be it.

Any plans to make GTL support audio units?

Also, am I correct that four (4) is the lot of loops per group?

That said, your app is extremely intuitive for an actual musician like myself (who is 60). I was able to create some actual music with it quite easily. Good work!

I could see room to make the groups trigger in a particular sequence; i.e., A-A-B-A (standard "Rhythm" changes), etc.

Any plans for such a feature?

Thanks and especially for the personal support!

• Jeff Newton

(Jazz saxophonist & pianist)

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Thanks for the reply, jmarshallgtl!

I can indeed play Neo Soul Keys when I'm in GTL, but I cannot record what I play as a loop (which is the goal).

Am I correct?

That's strange, are you 100% you are monitoring in GTL? Do you see a signal on the input meter? If you could send me a video of your issue that would really help. [email protected]

If I wanted to use, say, iFrettless bass and Korg Gadget at the same time, how would I do this? Add both the an Audiobus chain?

Yes, just add them to the same Audiobus chain. You can have multiple inputs on each.

Any plans to make GTL support audio units?

Yes, GTL does currently supports AU effects and i'd like to add instrument support in the future.

Also, am I correct that four (4) is the lot of loops per group?

Yes that's correct, for the moment :)

That said, your app is extremely intuitive for an actual musician like myself (who is 60). I was able to create some actual music with it quite easily. Good work!

Thank you, very glad to hear it!

I could see room to make the groups trigger in a particular sequence; i.e., A-A-B-A (standard "Rhythm" changes), etc.

Any plans for such a feature?

Yep, it's on my todo list.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @kobamoto yes, you can switch the algorithm between pitch change and time stretch.

really? that’s pretty awesome. how/where do you switch it?

• @eross said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @kobamoto yes, you can switch the algorithm between pitch change and time stretch.

wait which one are you talking about here looperverse it gtl ?

• @eross said:

@eross said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

It's in GTL. Audio preferences.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@eross said:

@eross said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

It's in GTL. Audio preferences.

really, that’s awesome! I can’t wait to try that out. thanks

• edited August 2018

@eross Here is a screen shot for you:

• Which of the two is more conducive to looping without sync - for ambient, evolving textural type stuff?

Or do they both force you to do everything to a beat?

• @GovernorSilver said:
    Which of the two is more conducive to looping without sync - for ambient, evolving textural type stuff?

There is an app called fieldscapper or something like that...

• IN GROUP THE LOOP, how do I:

change back to microphone from Audiobus input after looping piano, bass, etc?

Thanks!!

• Click on the gear wheel at the upper left of the window.go to the audio input tab.change the input device choice.

• I think I have to close Audiobus to do that, because "mic input" is not presented as an input source after using Audiobus - only Audiobus and Inter-App Audio.

Correct?

• If you are using audiobus to wire things up, select system audio input as the input source in audiobus and send it to GTL

• @espiegel123 said:
    If you are using audiobus to wire things up, select system audio input as the input source in audiobus and send it to GTL

Oh... ! Got it; thanks. Set it in AUDIOBUS, not in GTL...

Thanks!

• I can indeed play Neo Soul Keys when I'm in GTL, but I cannot record what I play as a loop (which is the goal).

Am I correct?

That's strange, are you 100% you are monitoring in GTL? Do you see a signal on the input meter? If you could send me a video of your issue that would really help. [email protected]

I'll double check that monitoring and do the video and send...

I emailed Neo Soul Keys. They wrote back and said it's currently impossible, but they are working on that for the next update.

• edited August 2018

deleted

• Last night on busk, I used GTL for saxophone with my Shure 98 clip on mic and an IK Multimedia iRig Pro - it worked great.

I also used my Korg Gadget and / or M1 and their various bass, electric piano and synth sounds with my CME xKey - this also worked great.

But...

I cannot figure out how to set things up to EASILY switch between sax (with external mic) and iPad-housed keyboard, bass, etc. on the Korg M1 or Gadget.

As a result, I had (A) sax based loops and (B) electric piano / synth and bass based loops.

But not a loop with both of these things.

M1 and Gadget ALSO show up as "Inter-App Audio, without using Audiobus.

"Inter-App Audio" shows up as an input on GTL, and so does
    mic" - but not as two choices for easy, on the fly switching in "Settings."

I haven't figured out how to select BOTH "mic" AND "Korg M1 / Gadget" as Audiobus input sources for GTL (or anything else....).

On the busk in the field (Greenwich Village, NYC), with money flying by me (i.e., pedestrian street traffic), I have ZERO time to waste "setting things up." One never knows if the next $20 bill with my name on it will escape while I'm fiddling with my iPad instead of making music for the people.

So....

What is the EASIEST, QUICKEST way to accomplish the above in GLT?

Thanks....

• @Skyscrapersax said:
    Last night on busk, I used GTL for saxophone with my Shure 98 clip on mic and an IK Multimedia iRig Pro - it worked great.

I also used my Korg Gadget and / or M1 and their various bass, electric piano and synth sounds with my CME xKey - this also worked great.

But...

I cannot figure out how to set things up to EASILY switch between sax (with external mic) and iPad-housed keyboard, bass, etc. on the Korg M1 or Gadget.

As a result, I had (A) sax based loops and (B) electric piano / synth and bass based loops.

But not a loop with both of these things.

M1 and Gadget ALSO show up as "Inter-App Audio, without using Audiobus.

"Inter-App Audio" shows up as an input on GTL, and so does
    mic" - but not as two choices for easy, on the fly switching in "Settings."

I haven't figured out how to select BOTH "mic" AND "Korg M1 / Gadget" as Audiobus input sources for GTL (or anything else....).

On the busk in the field (Greenwich Village, NYC), with money flying by me (i.e., pedestrian street traffic), I have ZERO time to waste "setting things up." One never knows if the next $20 bill with my name on it will escape while I'm fiddling with my iPad instead of making music for the people.

So....

What is the EASIEST, QUICKEST way to accomplish the above in GLT?

Thanks....

AUM.

• I have no idea what AUM is! I googled it and it's a Hindu meditation phrase ("Aum" - this is the one I use!), a company (American Utility Management), and an accounting term (Assets under Management).

So what is it as to iPad music apps?

• wimwim
    edited August 2018

Kymatica AUM is a mixer app. You can find it in the App Store. It has similarities to AudioBus and can also work with it.

But, I think this is what you need to know ...

You can have multiple inputs all in the same AudioBus lane feeding GTL.

You can also do it like this by adding GTL in two positions in AudioBus.

• @wim said:
    Kymatica AUM is a mixer app. You can find it in the App Store. It has similarities to AudioBus and can also work with it.

You can also do it like this by adding GTL in two positions in AudioBus.

And if you can’t manage it then try the meditative use you found :trollface:

@wim thanks for writting what my lazy soul avoided me to do. Heaven is for people like you and hell for people like me and full of people who never learn...

• edited August 2018

@wim said:

You can also do it like this by adding GTL in two positions in AudioBus."

Thank you - I didn't know that!

However, I tried both methods; neither one activated the iPad mic. I didn't plug in my Shure 98 via my IK Multimedia iRig Pro for the test, but I assume the same result would be produced.

The photo inserts show "system audio input" w/a mic type diagram, not the "iPad mic" that, when Audiobus is NOT loaded, appears in GTL. "iPad mic" animates the, well, iPad mic (and my Shure 98...).

What am I doing wrong?

Also, I will need to have the mic NOT active when looping with (for example) the Korg M1, since on the busk, there is street traffic noise in Greenwich Village in NYC, and I don't want the mic "on" unless I'm playing my saxophone.

So, how to easily switch between those audio lanes?

On the "success" side of this, I did use GTL for an a capella saxophone loop to great effect the other night.

Thanks everbody for your help!

• Jeff
  • @Dubbylabby said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    Which of the two is more conducive to looping without sync - for ambient, evolving textural type stuff?

There is an app called fieldscapper or something like that...

Ah, good call. I overlooked this feature:

"Loop based mode for processing input in real time as effect."

• @Skyscrapersax said:

@wim said:

You can also do it like this by adding GTL in two positions in AudioBus."

Thank you - I didn't know that!

However, I tried both methods; neither one activated the iPad mic. I didn't plug in my Shure 98 via my IK Multimedia iRig Pro for the test, but I assume the same result would be produced.

The photo inserts show "system audio input" w/a mic type diagram, not the "iPad mic" that, when Audiobus is NOT loaded, appears in GTL. "iPad mic" animates the, well, iPad mic (and my Shure 98...).

What am I doing wrong?

Also, I will need to have the mic NOT active when looping with (for example) the Korg M1, since on the busk, there is street traffic noise in Greenwich Village in NYC, and I don't want the mic "on" unless I'm playing my saxophone.

So, how to easily switch between those audio lanes?

On the "success" side of this, I did use GTL for an a capella saxophone loop to great effect the other night.

Thanks everbody for your help!

• Jeff

You’re not doing anything wrong, the screenshot was just an example. I don’t have the same equipment you do. Also, I misunderstood what you’re trying to do. You said something about having a loop with both of those, which I interpreted to mean you wanted to record from both at once.

Still, the idea is, in GTL, keep the input source as AudioBus. The in AudioBus enable whatever you want for the input that goes into GTL. Make the switch in the input slot of AudioBus, not in GTL.

However, AudioBus only came into it because you were trying to use AUv3 instruments, which GTL doesn’t support. If you’re only trying to use Korg iM1 which is InterApp Audio (IAA) then you don’t need AudioBus.

You asked earlier about IAA vs AUv3. These are just different technologies in iOS having to do with the way Apps work in hosts. With an IAA app, you can only have one instance of the app running, and it always displays in a separate screen. With an AUv3 app, you can have multiple instances, and the app displays in a window (sometimes a full screen window, but still a window) within the app. Some apps are IAA only, some AUv3 only, and many are both.

That’s just to clear up your earlier question. Since GTL currently doesn’t support AUv3 apps as recording inputs, AudioBus, which supports both, was suggested as the way to have both as inputs to GTL. But, if you don’t need a particular AUv3 app as a recording input, then you could just stick with GTL and have fewer moving parts to deal with.

Of course, the ability to easily switch between apps and start and stop them from the Audiobus sidebar is really, really nice, so if you can get comfortable with that setup, then Audiobus does bring a lot to the table. You just need to experiment and find what works best for you.

• edited August 2018

WIM -

Thanks.

Succinctly stated, how do I get the microphone to work in Audiobus?

I am OK with just using the Korg MI for the moment for non-saxophone sounds, since it offers as nice selection of basses, pianos and various usable synth sounds...

But, you stated that I can have only ONE instance of it running when using IAA and not Audiobus.

I tried it just now, and (1) it was totally distorted and (2) I could not make a second loop - no recording.

I do see how to easily switch the input source between "iPad mic" and "inter-app audio."

Of course, I need to add my tenor saxophone (my main instrument) into the festivities.

And since I need more than one loop (bass is one, piano is two, synth is 3, maybe drums is 4), I guess I need Audiobus...

That means I need a microphone to work in Audiobus, not in simultaneity, but right after, looping (say) a bass.

Which I can't get to happen with Audiobus - that "system input" with a microphone diagram does nothing.

So I must be doing something wrong in this respect.

What is it?

Thanks,

• Jeff
  • I don’t know how to help. I can’t see your screen and I don’t have the same mic setup you have. I could try to guess all day...

But I’ll keep trying. First, look for a little arrow at the right of the place where it says System Audio Input when you’re adding it in Audiobus. Here’s what it shows when I tap that when have my iRig Pro plugged in. What do you see?

• edited August 2018

@wim said:
    I don’t know how to help. I can’t see your screen and I don’t have the same mic setup you have. I could try to guess all day...

But I’ll keep trying. First, look for a little arrow at the right of the place where it says System Audio Input when you’re adding it in Audiobus. Here’s what it shows when I tap that when have my iRig Pro plugged in. What do you see?

I appreciate your efforts!

My screen does not show the same thing as yours......

I don't know how to do a screenshot (I'm writing this on my computer, not on my iPad...), but I took some photos of my iPad in Audiobus and attached them. Sorry one is upside down! You can see the arrow for output, but not input. You can see my iRig Pro glowing in the background.

Audiobus offers me the choice of "apps" or "audio units" for input. "System Audio Input" is one of the apps.

In Audiobus, there is no arrow to the right of "System Audio Input." There ARE arrows to the right of some of the other apps, and pressing one of them brings up "instrument 1," etc.

However, in Audiobus, for "select OUTPUT," well, THAT has a little arrow to the right...

Yep, for "System Audio OUTPUT."

So, THERE I SEE the same thing you have in the diagram above! But for OUTPUT ONLY.

Meanwhile, in GTL, I see input choices of Audiobus and Interapp audio, but not iRig Pro.

.. This is both with and without my Shure 98 mic plugged in...

So, how to get that pesky arrow into input?

Thanks for all your help!

• @Skyscrapersax now we my be getting somewhere.

iOS has this nasty habit of switching to the last input device plugged into the device. Headphones with a microphone are detected as an input device. If you plug headphones in after the iRig Pro, they become the input and the iRig disappears. If you pressed the right arrow on the output selection and saw “Headphones...” then that’s probably what happened.

If that’s not the case and you plugged the iRig in first or it’s the only thing plugged in then check the connections of the iRig carefully. I’ve often spent time cursing my iPad only to find that the cable going in to the iRig is loose. On mine there’s a blue led that gets bright when it’s plugged in and recognized. Otherwise it’s dull blue or off.

This is the first step - getting your iRig Pro recognized. Once you do that you will be able to switch inputs in either Audiobus or GTL.

• @Skyscrapersax : choosing System Input will choose the built-in mic in the setup you posted. The nested input menu is only available if you have an input device that has input options.

• If you do a google search for "iOS screen capture", you will find directions about how to do one