Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• edited August 2017

Seems like it's more of an ui issue unless i'm missing something

You'll need a third party app to circumvent which will add an unnecessary extra step but they could change that before release. Of course they could also go the other way and prevent third parties from hooking into the Files app

I'll take a wait and see stance on this

• edited August 2017

Browsing the developers beta documentation for Swift for iOS, it looks like it does actually support the opening and editing of files in one app's documents folder by another app. On the page relating to this controller it says:

'When the user opens a document from another app's Documents directory, they're editing the document in place. The changes are saved to the other app's Documents directory.'

This would be great for having a single place to store samples, for example, and save a lot of space by not having to duplicate files across many apps. The documents folders of apps with this enabled will be visible in the Files app and in the supporting app's document browser.

• edited August 2017

Don't forget the fourth D

• There’s an app called “Local Storage” that has been very handy for me. It allows you to create a local directory in the “On my iPad” section of Files. That folder can be accessed through Files or iTunes when plugged into a computer using iTunes. It can handle a wide variety of files, not just audio and video/photos, and it can extract ZIP files. I haven’t hit a storage limit yet on a 256GB iPad Pro, but the largest single file I’ve tried was around 2GB.

• @3sleeves said:
    There’s an app called “Local Storage” that has been very handy for me. It allows you to create a local directory in the “On my iPad” section of Files. That folder can be accessed through Files or iTunes when plugged into a computer using iTunes. It can handle a wide variety of files, not just audio and video/photos, and it can extract ZIP files. I haven’t hit a storage limit yet on a 256GB iPad Pro, but the largest single file I’ve tried was around 2GB.

That's a useful app, thanks for posting. It revealed the folder after I copied a document into it in itunes file sharing, was invisible before that.

I'm not sure how useful it is for storing audio files if you have Audioshare as that's still got a lot of functionality over local storage, but for other file and document types it's looks pretty useful.

• @Carnbot It’s useful for saving and extracting downloaded ZIP files too, faster than dealing with cloud services. It doesn’t have a built in browser like Documents, but it adds an “extract” option in the file action menu which is handy. You’re right about AudioShare, it’s great for managing audio files locally.

• As long as we’re plugging file management apps, I’ve tried them all, and IMHO, FileBrowser is the most advanced, capable and versatile. I use it access FTP files, files over my SMB network, Dropbox, and local files. It unzips. It Unrars.

It natively reads a bunch of file formats including pdf, several audio formats, CBRs and MP4s.

The music player is great for auditioning sounds.

It plays great with AudioShare.

I’m sure I left something out.