Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Bass Instrument- What Generative App To Use?

Comments

• Dude this app rocks!!!! Thanks so much!

Bass galore!

@Reid said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    @Reid Which app is that? You mean Korg app?

It's the app I linked to - ODESI It's a $49 PC/Mac app that generates chord progressions, rhythms, and bass lines, and beats
    http://odesi.mixedinkey.com/

The iOS one is simpler, but it's free. You have to pay out for IAP before it can output MIDI, though.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/odesi-chords-create-rhythms-basslines-chord-progressions/id1056176667?mt=8

• Klimper, does it also help you build bass lines?

• edited August 2017

@Telefunky said:
    Motown may not be your cup of tea, but this essence of bass applies to many types of music. Here are some isolated bass parts of well known records

https://www.youtube.com/results?q=jamerson isolated&sm=3

pick a couple you find inspiring and cross check the full mix, very revealing
    (of course this was one of the best bass players ever to bring groove and melody to a song supporting unit)

a more rock oriented example would be Queen's John Deacon
    https://m.youtube.com/results?q=john deacon isolated bass&sm=1

the bass may sound shitty in isolated form, but lives up tremendously in song context

Thanks for that Jamerson plist...I'd've listened to every one even if I hadn't known the songs.

Bummer that OP seems to want to go the technology route instead of the bass route (no hard feelings). Bass was what I was missing all along in my musical life. There's just few things as good as the feeling of locking in with a drummer when playing or recording live. In contrast, whenever I played guitar in bands, I felt anchorless.

• In Xynthesizr you could play the root note to each chord and say in A min
    F, D, A, E for F, Dm, Am, Em. Lock those to whatever bar length and note subdivision you're playing at and then select an area above or "below" the root notes to run in random mode for embellishment.

Or use Oscilab midi out in the bass of your choice and wiggle the waves and patterns till you find several somethings that work.

• Session band(s) might be a good choice too no midi but good players.

• @wim said:
    ...And get yourself a real electric bass if you don't already have one o:) . As a guitar player of many years, when I first picked up a bass was one of the brightest and most fun musical times I've had. Bass still brings a smile to my face every time I pick it up. To be any good you have to think differently from guitar, but at least the notes are where you can find them. :smile:

Very much this....and by actually playing you feel the groove much more, you can then go back and play your chords and leads again, you will have picked up the groove more and the end result sounds far more polished

• If you've got a PS3 sitting around doing nothing, get a copy of Rocksmith and the realtone cable (also available on PS4).....plug in a real bass guitar and learn the ways of those who add the balls to pieces of music :)
    p.s. you can also use the realtone cable as a guitar/bass input for the ipad with a cck

• Thanks guys, forgot to mention I do have an old Bass guitar but my fingers hurt when I try to learn to play it. Plus I have hardly any time to play Acoustic instruments that's why I'm hoping IOS gets more virtual musicians like Rock, Soft, Funk and Future Drummers. Once Bass Player Pro arrives, I'll be set.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Klimper, does it also help you build bass lines?

It shows you what notes are in the chords you choose but you do have to actually still compose things yourself

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Thanks guys, forgot to mention I do have an old Bass guitar but my fingers hurt when I try to learn to play it. Plus I have hardly any time to play Acoustic instruments that's why I'm hoping IOS gets more virtual musicians like Rock, Soft, Funk and Future Drummers. Once Bass Player Pro arrives, I'll be set.

What is Bass Player Pro?

• I love the term "Bass Instrument"
    I first saw it used in the credits on Lou Reed's Transformer and Berlin albums, and have used it ever since.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Bass is the funnest instrument to play once you get a feel for it. I spent 10 years overlooking it before I finally picked one up and played with it.

Bass is so much fun to play.
    However, I did discover that I had to be more sober as a bassplayer than I did as a guitarplayer during gigs.
    That's the only drawback :)

• Bass Player Pro
    The upcoming undeveloped Interactive Virtual Bass Player for IOS!

Coming by a willing Dev near you! :)

@RajahP said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    Thanks guys, forgot to mention I do have an old Bass guitar but my fingers hurt when I try to learn to play it. Plus I have hardly any time to play Acoustic instruments that's why I'm hoping IOS gets more virtual musicians like Rock, Soft, Funk and Future Drummers. Once Bass Player Pro arrives, I'll be set.

What is Bass Player Pro?

• @JeffChasteen said:
    I love the term "Bass Instrument"
    I first saw it used in the credits on Lou Reed's Transformer and Berlin albums, and have used it ever since.

I always got a kick out of how in the movie "That Thing You Do" the only name reference to the bass player, including in the credits, is "The Bass Player". Fun movie by the way.

• edited August 2017

Like the sound of that new app MM4C ;)

Other thoughts...
    1. I have also used an electric 6 string guitar with an octaver or MIDI guitar to achieve quite convincing bass lines.
    2. In the PC world I sometimes use EZKeys to create keyboard MIDI and you can then remove all but the bass notes to create a pretty good bass lines. I'm sure you could apply something similar in the IOS world for apps that generate MIDI keys..
    3. Use Wotja app to generate bass parts?

• @wim said:

@JeffChasteen said:

I always got a kick out of how in the movie "That Thing You Do" the only name reference to the bass player, including in the credits, is "The Bass Player". Fun movie by the way.

Nice! I have always meant to check it out.
    I like how for old school guys it is always "the Fender bass"
    Elvis Presley introducing the band live"...and on the Fender bass...Jerry Scheff"

• Thanks will check out Wotja.

@receder said:
    Like the sound of that new app MM4C ;)

Other thoughts...
    1. I have also used an electric 6 string guitar with an octaver or MIDI guitar to achieve quite convincing bass lines.
    2. In the PC world I sometimes use EZKeys to create keyboard MIDI and you can then remove all but the bass notes to create a pretty good bass lines. I'm sure you could apply something similar in the IOS world for apps that generate MIDI keys..
    3. Use Wotja app to generate bass parts?

• For Jazz you might try iReal Pro

• play along with a virtual band
    • Change instruments tempo style
    • Transpose
    • Import chord charts
    • Edit said charts
  • edited August 2017

@JeffChasteen said:

sorry for ot, but those 2 are all-time favorites of mine B)
    and Herbie Flowers' background story about the bassline of Walk on the Wild Side is pricelass (see on YT)

• @Telefunky said:

@JeffChasteen said:

That makes two of us.

• I'm more into soft rock contemporary music.
    Groovebox has me doing other stuff I've never really got into but it's all good.

Will check it out anyway thanks!

@audiblevideo said:
    For Jazz you might try iReal Pro

• play along with a virtual band
    • Change instruments tempo style
    • Transpose
    • Import chord charts
    • Edit said charts
  • edited August 2017

@audiblevideo said:
    Three of us

I blasted Berlin in its entirety with the front doors wide open last Friday afternoon. I hope the neighbors enjoyed it. I imagine they did. They don't seem to be philistines.

• @Telefunky said:

@JeffChasteen said:

and Herbie Flowers' background story about the bassline of Walk on the Wild Side is pricelass (see on YT)

Hey,
    Needing a little extra session $ can lead to some brilliant creative decisions.

I always knew that Klaus Voorman also played bass on the record, but I wasn't sure which songs. I recently found out that it was "Satellite of Love" and "Perfect Day"

• @JeffChasteen said:

@audiblevideo said:
    Three of us

I blasted Berlin in its entirety with the front doors wide open last Friday afternoon. I hope the neighbors enjoyed it. I imagine they did. They don't seem to be philistines.

It's possible!
    They could be from the ancient pentapolis and still enjoy finer things in life :o

• edited August 2017

@idexis said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@audiblevideo said:
    Three of us

It's possible!
    They could be from the ancient pentapolis and still enjoy finer things in life :o

I dunno what John Ruskin would say about that.
    ;)

• Another solution is not having any bass on your track. That is perfectly permissible, and usually sounds just fine.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Another solution is not having any bass on your track. That is perfectly permissible, and usually sounds just fine.

This is what it sounds like
    When doves cry

• For now I decided to use Groovebox as it has awesome Bass patterns.

Anyone has created a good sounding Electric Bass preset in Groovebox???

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Another solution is not having any bass on your track. That is perfectly permissible, and usually sounds just fine.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@idexis said:

@JeffChasteen said:

@audiblevideo said:
    Three of us

It's possible!

I dunno what John Ruskin would say about that.
    ;)

Ahh, tough this one is!
    Give it a go I will.

He might have said, "... oh only if my mother wasn't Protestant, I would have travelled more".

But Mr. Matthew Arnold, the real culprit, could have thought: ...oh paradoxes of life
    if only the Philistines would have left their pigs in Europe, Goethe and Schiller wouldn't have to rant so much and if dad would have practiced muscular Buddhism, I would have travelled more.

Something along those lines seems accurate to me.