The Bass Instrument- What Generative App To Use?

Hey friends,
Not being a Bass player or drummer it's hard to create these tracks. So far I have Luis Martinez amazing drummer apps but is there something similar in IOS for Bass?

I tried Garage Band but it sounded cheesy and hard to tweak.
Groovebox has Bass patterns but I wish I could get a more traditional electric bass sound like iFretless.

Any Devs out there willing or thinking of creating an interactive Bass app?

Thanks for all suggestions <3

«13

Comments

  • 74 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • There is iJ Bass HD. It is not generative, but does sound very nice. Might be worth a look.

  • Bass is the funnest instrument to play once you get a feel for it. I spent 10 years overlooking it before I finally picked one up and played with it.

  • Why cheat yourself out of the fun of playing it yourself? iFretless is a great app for learning some iBass.

  • You could use some of the Chordbot bass tracks.

  • Yeah thanks guys I guess I do need to learn. Chordbot and iFretless are good options :) I really wish I could sound good though like Soft Drummer or Rock Drummer apps. :o

  • Troublemaker with mutations driving beathawk bass samples kinda works. But the mutations don't come close to the logic of the Luis drum apps.

  • if you're rendering midi... (Thumbjam bass patch --> ToneStack --> DAW) is passable.

  • Maybe use troublemaker to drive TJ. Is Troublemaker a Bass generative app?

    @lukesleepwalker said:
    Troublemaker with mutations driving beathawk bass samples kinda works. But the mutations don't come close to the logic of the Luis drum apps.

    @Coloobar said:
    if you're rendering midi... (Thumbjam bass patch --> ToneStack --> DAW) is passable.

  • @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Maybe use troublemaker to drive TJ. Is Troublemaker a Bass generative app?

    @lukesleepwalker said:
    Troublemaker with mutations driving beathawk bass samples kinda works. But the mutations don't come close to the logic of the Luis drum apps.

    @Coloobar said:
    if you're rendering midi... (Thumbjam bass patch --> ToneStack --> DAW) is passable.

    Yes, but not generative in the same sense as Luis' apps. Still, it could be worth a shot. I use it quite a bit for bass lines. I put it in the MIDI sender of AB3, use a MF Transposer filter to knock it down an octave and point it at Beathawk bass samples. Thumb jam also works using the MF Adapter.

  • edited August 8 Vote Up0

    Bass is about groove and articulation - it's a demanding thing to play, but also ->

    @oat_phipps said:
    Bass is the funnest instrument to play once you get a feel for it. I spent 10 years overlooking it before I finally picked one up and played with it.

    a generative bass only works in steady beat/sequencer driven context imho.

    hint: any $100 Precision bass (clone) will do. Whatever you choose, prefer that model.
    It's the most simple one, but also the most expressive. Seriously.

  • This is why I was trying to figure out a way to have the Bass drum from Soft or Rock Drummer drive an app to create the Bass track with the playing groove sort of like what side chain compression does. But can't wrap my midiot brain around how to accomplish this.

    @lukesleepwalker said:

    @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Maybe use troublemaker to drive TJ. Is Troublemaker a Bass generative app?

    @lukesleepwalker said:
    Troublemaker with mutations driving beathawk bass samples kinda works. But the mutations don't come close to the logic of the Luis drum apps.

    @Coloobar said:
    if you're rendering midi... (Thumbjam bass patch --> ToneStack --> DAW) is passable.

    Yes, but not generative in the same sense as Luis' apps. Still, it could be worth a shot. I use it quite a bit for bass lines. I put it in the MIDI sender of AB3, use a MF Transposer filter to knock it down an octave and point it at Beathawk bass samples. Thumb jam also works using the MF Adapter.

    @Telefunky said:
    Bass is about groove and articulation - it's a demanding thing to play, but also ->

    @oat_phipps said:
    Bass is the funnest instrument to play once you get a feel for it. I spent 10 years overlooking it before I finally picked one up and played with it.

    a generative bass only works in steady beat/sequencer driven context imho.

    hint: any $100 Precision bass (clone) will do. Whatever you choose, prefer that model.
    It's the most simple one, but also the most expressive. Seriously.

  • Just play the hell out of some Animoog bass patches. Lots of expression

  • Thumbjam is good, also SampleTank for Bass(then put it thru Tonestack) It's a shame that @ikmultimedia didn't release there Modo Bass software onto iOS.

  • edited August 8 Vote Up0

    Why not just use the MIDI out from the Luis Martinez apps...set up kick on E, Snare on G#, hats on B and you got yourself an E Major triad....setup a basic pattern and then use the jam sliders to embelish :)
    Add more notes on the toms and cymbal for the fills to give you more variation each 4-8 bars.

    I would sound odd if you use the exact same pattern for your drums...keep the kicks more or less, and swap the patterns around on the rest of the drums.

  • Wow! I gotta try this. Okay let me wrap my mind around this. So I have AB3 and iFretless so I insert Luis drummer app in the midi slot and iFretless in the receiving slot and set the midi channel on midiflow right?

    Awesome ideas !

    @AndyPlankton said:
    Why not just use the MIDI out from the Luis Martinez apps...set up kick on E, Snare on G#, hats on B and you got yourself an E Major triad....setup a basic pattern and then use the jam sliders to embelish :)
    Add more notes on the toms and cymbal for the fills to give you more variation each 4-8 bars.

    I would sound odd if you use the exact same pattern for your drums...keep the kicks more or less, and swap the patterns around on the rest of the drums.

  • @studs1966 said:
    Thumbjam is good, also SampleTank for Bass(then put it thru Tonestack) It's a shame that @ikmultimedia didn't release there Modo Bass software onto iOS.

    Doubleplus for both ThumbJam and SampleTank Bass.

  • edited August 8 Vote Up0

    @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Wow! I gotta try this. Okay let me wrap my mind around this. So I have AB3 and iFretless so I insert Luis drummer app in the midi slot and iFretless in the receiving slot and set the midi channel on midiflow right?

    Awesome ideas !

    @AndyPlankton said:
    Why not just use the MIDI out from the Luis Martinez apps...set up kick on E, Snare on G#, hats on B and you got yourself an E Major triad....setup a basic pattern and then use the jam sliders to embelish :)
    Add more notes on the toms and cymbal for the fills to give you more variation each 4-8 bars.

    I would sound odd if you use the exact same pattern for your drums...keep the kicks more or less, and swap the patterns around on the rest of the drums.

    That's about it yeah :), try and record the midi too, you can then have a chance to tweak the note pitches and lengths afterwards for fine tuning.
    Drumm app will default to output on channel 10, set input in iFretless to channel 10 and you should be good to go.
    Use fairly sparse patterns and let the jamming add most of the notes

  • that method was one of my favorites with cheezy Band-in-a-Box midi tracks... let'em play all kinds of synths instead of the tradtional instruments. Surprises guaranteed. ;)

  • Well got both apps talking and got some results. Made a short audio sample but warning kind of sounds like total chaos but, I'm getting somewhere thanks to you all!

    If only I could control the midi coming in to iFretless in realtime but still keep the groove going that would rock!

    Bass Sample RDM to iFretless by MusicMan4Christ on #SoundCloud

    @AndyPlankton said:

    @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Wow! I gotta try this. Okay let me wrap my mind around this. So I have AB3 and iFretless so I insert Luis drummer app in the midi slot and iFretless in the receiving slot and set the midi channel on midiflow right?

    Awesome ideas !

    @AndyPlankton said:
    Why not just use the MIDI out from the Luis Martinez apps...set up kick on E, Snare on G#, hats on B and you got yourself an E Major triad....setup a basic pattern and then use the jam sliders to embelish :)
    Add more notes on the toms and cymbal for the fills to give you more variation each 4-8 bars.

    I would sound odd if you use the exact same pattern for your drums...keep the kicks more or less, and swap the patterns around on the rest of the drums.

    That's about it yeah :), try and record the midi too, you can then have a chance to tweak the note pitches and lengths afterwards for fine tuning.
    Drumm app will default to output on channel 10, set input in iFretless to channel 10 and you should be good to go.
    Use fairly sparse patterns and let the jamming add most of the notes

  • edited August 8 Vote Up0

    Motown may not be your cup of tea, but this essence of bass applies to many types of music. Here are some isolated bass parts of well known records

    https://www.youtube.com/results?q=jamerson isolated&amp;sm=3

    pick a couple you find inspiring and cross check the full mix, very revealing
    (of course this was one of the best bass players ever to bring groove and melody to a song supporting unit)

    a more rock oriented example would be Queen's John Deacon
    https://m.youtube.com/results?q=john deacon isolated bass&amp;sm=1

    the bass may sound shitty in isolated form, but lives up tremendously in song context

  • It's getting there...

    Are you able to use midiflow to transpose the output from Rdm, and control that transpose from a keyboard ?

  • Cool!

    Yeah wasn't really trying to get a specific style going just really trying to get something going :D

    I couldn't use midiflow for some reason it would not come up as a choice in the list.

    The thing is that somehow there are sections where it kind of sounded cool as the bass played or synced up with the drums. Man if only there was an app that could do this. Listen to the incoming midi notes and adapt interactively to the groove.

    Calling all devs!

    @Telefunky said:
    Motown may not be your cup of tea, but this essence of bass applies to many types of music. Here are some isolated bass parts of well known records

    https://www.youtube.com/results?q=jamerson isolated&amp;sm=3

    pick a couple you find inspiring and cross check the full mix, very revealing
    (of course this was one of the best bass players ever to bring groove and melody to a song supporting unit)

    a more rock oriented example would be Queen's John Deacon
    https://m.youtube.com/results?q=john deacon isolated bass&amp;sm=1

    the bass may sound shitty in isolated form, but lives up tremendously in song context

    @AndyPlankton said:
    It's getting there...

    Are you able to use midiflow to transpose the output from Rdm, and control that transpose from a keyboard ?

  • @MusicMan4Christ said:
    The thing is that somehow there are sections where it kind of sounded cool as the bass played or synced up with the drums. Man if only there was an app that could do this. Listen to the incoming midi notes and adapt interactively to the groove.

    It's fairly simple and you can do it yourself by just shifting the midi generated bass on the timeline.
    I use to do such stuff with audio-clips a lot, but in IOS that's a pita and you already have the midi anyway. Change the grid from time to time to also cover triads and other metrics.
    Once you get behind the scheme it's rather quick trick.

  • wimwim
    edited August 8 Vote Up0

    ...And get yourself a real electric bass if you don't already have one o:) . As a guitar player of many years, when I first picked up a bass was one of the brightest and most fun musical times I've had. Bass still brings a smile to my face every time I pick it up. To be any good you have to think differently from guitar, but at least the notes are where you can find them. :smile:

  • edited August 8 Vote Up0

    @Musikman4Christ What about generating bass parts in Odesi? You can then export the MIDI and play them on the bass of your choice.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/odesi-chords-create-rhythms-basslines-chord-progressions/id1056176667?mt=8

  • edited August 8 Vote Up0

    @Reid Which app is that? You mean Korg app?

  • @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Hey friends,
    Not being a Bass player or drummer it's hard to create these tracks. So far I have Luis Martinez amazing drummer apps but is there something similar in IOS for Bass?

    I tried Garage Band but it sounded cheesy and hard to tweak.
    Groovebox has Bass patterns but I wish I could get a more traditional electric bass sound like iFretless.

    Any Devs out there willing or thinking of creating an interactive Bass app?

    Thanks for all suggestions <3

    I think Alex should do a more detailed video on the explode feature... on Bass...

    Try it on bass..

    https://youtu.be/oxnteOWenAw

  • @MusicMan4Christ said:
    @Reid Which app is that? You mean Korg app?

    It's the app I linked to - ODESI It's a $49 PC/Mac app that generates chord progressions, rhythms, and bass lines, and beats
    http://odesi.mixedinkey.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP_pLSpZUCI

    The iOS one is simpler, but it's free. You have to pay out for IAP before it can output MIDI, though.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/odesi-chords-create-rhythms-basslines-chord-progressions/id1056176667?mt=8

  • This thread has prompted me to get a bass, I've been playing guitar forever and not even picked one up. This needs to be fixed.

    Extra points for John Deacon references, so much respect for that man in a musical and non-musical context.

  • @Reid said:

    @MusicMan4Christ said:
    @Reid Which app is that? You mean Korg app?

    It's the app I linked to - ODESI It's a $49 PC/Mac app that generates chord progressions, rhythms, and bass lines, and beats
    http://odesi.mixedinkey.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP_pLSpZUCI

    The iOS one is simpler, but it's free. You have to pay out for IAP before it can output MIDI, though.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/odesi-chords-create-rhythms-basslines-chord-progressions/id1056176667?mt=8

    Can't find 'what's new' in this ver 2...

Sign In or Register to comment.