Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Why Is Modern Pop Music So Terrible? (Video by Thoughty2)

Comments

• @Samu said:
    Speaking of Röyksopp...

That one always reminds me of the riff from 'Black is Black' they maybe changed 1 note.

Apparently they used an AKAI sampler almost exclusively in the early days..quite surprising....given how loopy a lot of the modern use of sampling can sound.

• I just want to post two vids of artists that completely rocked my world. Before them, I didn't know pop music this well-written AND well-produced could still be made.

Both of their albums are phenomenal from front to back. Which is rare in any era.

• edited August 2017

@Max23 said:

There is still hope :)

Fuck yah, the good stuff!

• @u0421793 said:
    Growing up in the late 60s through the 70s into the early 80s, it's incredible how much of the music I lapped up was actually just heavily imprinted from this:

Cool, reminds me of 23 Skidoo

• I was at a restaurant a couple months ago for a few hours and it was mostly playing 80s pop and it was amazing just how much Roxette popped out from the spray of mostly big name crud. It sounded really timeless, without many cliches of the era (except the gated snare, heh) and the production sounded like it really must have set a new standard back in the day. Never really gave it much thought or notice back then but damn did it ever stand out that day.

• edited August 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Max23 said:

@AudioGus said:

@Max23 said:

Fuck yah, the good stuff!

I don't know if everyone got the joke
    The guy in the hello my name is God hoodie is mister Richard D. James himself :D

Plot thickens... https://www.reddit.com/r/DieAntwoord/comments/2rgswq/ugly_boy_aphex_twin/

Got a source?

• edited August 2017
  • @Max23 said:
    Nah, it doesn't matter if it is or isn't him,
    It's a great laugh.
    And I am pretty sure he likes this version of the track

Even if it is meant to be him as a character then to me it's him. Had no idea that one dude was Jack Black, wild.

• It seems to me the 21st Century is not a great time for the creative arts in general. Whether it be art, movies or music it's primarily a recycing of formulas well established in the previous century. We are so mired in entertainment it seems there is a kind of cultural exhaution. At the same time our 'great societies' seem to be regressing, devides between rich and poor growing. The internet was supposed to be the great equalizer, instead it has just become the great passifier.

• edited August 2017
  • @Max23 said:

Interesting rhythm, creative video, unusual voice. Didn't get the apparent celebration of aggression and ignorance. Or was the point that 'Ugly Boy' cannot express himself without multiple expletives and violence?

• @AudioGus said:
    I think the pre-net generations tended to look to their musical generation as a source of identity.

To some extent, yes. But only in terms of what we were creating or what was being created for us, specifically.

Very early on, like when I was 12, I remember seeking out music made long before I was born, as well as current stuff. All that mattered to me was if it sounded good and sparked my imagination.

This could be something like the the theme from an obscure British TV show - Tarot Ace of Wands, the catch in the voice of a classic crooner, Ziggy Stardust, etc. Music was - and is - so vast and inspiring. I never felt limited to the sounds that defined my generation.

• @pichi said:
    It seems to me the 21st Century is not a great time for the creative arts in general. Whether it be art, movies or music it's primarily a recycing of formulas well established in the previous century. We are so mired in entertainment it seems there is a kind of cultural exhaution. At the same time our 'great societies' seem to be regressing, devides between rich and poor growing. The internet was supposed to be the great equalizer, instead it has just become the great passifier.

A friend of mine has dubbed ours the Mannerist Era in light of our undeniable recycling of well established formulas. He actually arrived at their term/description 25 years ago, but it is still valid. Nothing has changed, just been rearranged.

• edited August 2017

If it is music, it cannot be wrong. Any given style's popularity may rise and fall at any time. This doesn't mean that the music you identify with the most isn't still being pioneered by someone out there. I'm a guitar player, and the whole notion that the guitar is dead is absurd. You don't hear it on the radio too much anymore, but...so what? Chasing the radio is a meaningless waste of time. Just because you love it or hate it, doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. It's still just music.

• edited August 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@AudioGus said:
    I think the pre-net generations tended to look to their musical generation as a source of identity.

To some extent, yes. But only in terms of what we were creating or what was being created for us, specifically.

Very early on, like when I was 12, I remember seeking out music made long before I was born, as well as current stuff. All that mattered to me was if it sounded good and sparked my imagination.

This could be something like the the theme from an obscure British TV show - Tarot Ace of Wands, the catch in the voice of a classic crooner, Ziggy Stardust, etc. Music was - and is - so vast and inspiring. I never felt limited to the sounds that defined my generation.

This has also been my experience. The wired world has made it even easier to find the beguiling and once one unfamiliar.

• @Max23 said:

Scratch everything I said. Music apparently got sodomized.

• @JeffChasteen said:

@pichi said:
    It seems to me the 21st Century is not a great time for the creative arts in general. Whether it be art, movies or music it's primarily a recycing of formulas well established in the previous century. We are so mired in entertainment it seems there is a kind of cultural exhaution. At the same time our 'great societies' seem to be regressing, devides between rich and poor growing. The internet was supposed to be the great equalizer, instead it has just become the great passifier.

A friend of mine has dubbed ours the Mannerist Era in light of our undeniable recycling of well established formulas. He actually arrived at their term/description 25 years ago, but it is still valid. Nothing has changed, just been rearranged.

I would agree with that. Great thinkers give rise to great creativity and the great thinkers of the 19th Century changed our world and the way we think over the course of the following Century.Now, while technologically progress is marching forward other areas seem to have been left far behind. Art has always been a reflection of the world around it. So it is what it is I guess.

• edited August 2017

@Max23 said:
    I see creativity everywhere going on in the net.
    But not with the Facebook twitter what's up and thindr zombies. ;)
    You must life in another filter bubble.

Agree 1000%. All of social media is the most anti-social, false thing I've ever known. Fake friends and people equating truth with how many followers someone has!

• One thing I have to disagree in this video is when the guy say that you have to like a song at the first listen. Of course my fist listen to Stairways to Heaven was an unforgettable moment but my first listen to Dream Theater's sfam was...a complete fail...and I really had to force myself to come back a second time to start enjoying what had become one of my favorite album all time...Wait...maybe I have been brainwashed !!

• @cuscolima said:
    I really had to force myself to come back a second time to start enjoying what had become one of my favorite album all time...Wait...maybe I have been brainwashed !!

Not at all. Some songs are instant, others take more listens to appreciate. Many times I've considered a song to be just okay, only to hear different things in it at a later time, and thus 'get' why it was highly rated.

• The hallmark of every generation since the early 1920's (and probably before) is that a generation always believes the music following their own is shit.

There are exceptions of course, some of the so called generation gaps aren't there, but one look at the charts of the last 65 years shows the youth of the day drives the commercial music. And guess what? Those 'youngsters' usually think their parents music is shit.

To me it's all good music or bad music, regardless of genre or age. From where I sit, the last new "pop" song I dug was Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know"...not saying there hasn't been good songs since then but off the top of my head that's what comes to mind. So me personally I haven't heard any pop/rock songs that have grabbed me but it doesn't mean they aren't out there...thing is in today's landscape they've never been harder to find.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @JRSIV said:
    but one look at the charts of the last 65 years shows the youth of the day drives the commercial music. And guess what? Those 'youngsters' usually think their parents music is shit.

Not so sure about that. Although they didn't dare admit it at the time, for obvious reasons, even Elvis Costello (via Steve Naive) and the Sex Pistols borrowed from ABBA. The Clash and The Jam always rated The Kinks and The Who. Their drive and rebellion, of course, was against the prog rock 'gods' who had become incredibly self-indulgent and had nothing in common with most people's reality. There was also a political element, against the relentless unfairness of Thatcher'sUK. That gave us gems such as Rat Race and Ghost Town from The Specials.

So what I'm saying is every generation quite rightly wants to kick against the previous generation, who have authority and seniority over them. But a great many also see value in taking what was good from the past, and putting a new spin on it, or using it as the basis of something fresh. I am put in mind of one hit wonder White Town who had an international hit with 'Your Woman' sampling an ancient Al Boley track. From the old comes the new.

• @Max23 said:

@Zen210507 said:

@Max23 said:

Interesting rhythm, creative video, unusual voice. Didn't get the apparent celebration of aggression and ignorance. Or was the point that 'Ugly Boy' cannot express himself without multiple expletives and violence?

The apparent celebration of aggression and ignorance isn't about the flower and the bee sex, if you understand what I mean. ;)

what do you mean?

• edited August 2017
  • edited August 2017

@Max23 said:
    The apparent celebration of aggression and ignorance isn't about the flower and the bee sex, if you understand what I mean. ;)

I understand now you have pointed it out, but must admit to not having got it initially.

Probably because I can't imagine any real women finding that guy desirable.

• edited August 2017

Pop music has always been shite. As a teenager I used to watch Top of the Pops every week, and every week it was a bitter disappointment: crap 80s soul, Bananarama, Jason and Kylie, Rick Astley (yes he's funny now), Jennifer fucking Rush etc... Radio 1 constantly played the worst sort of dross.

When something good got on to TOTP it was an event, because it was so rare. The Smiths sang "Hang The DJ" because music was so crap. The 80s were generally awful for popular music, all the good stuff was well below the mainstream radar.

And the 70s gave us the Bay City Rollers. One of the very biggest artists of the 60s was Cliff Richard. It's easy to forget and romanticise, but really pop has never been that good in any period. Who kept Pulp's Common People off the number 1 spot? Robson and Jerome.

I remember those periods in the early 90s when one song would stay at number 1 forever, either Bryan Adams, Whitney Houston, or Wet Wet Wet. The buying public have always had shockingly crap taste.

• edited August 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@JRSIV said:
    but one look at the charts of the last 65 years shows the youth of the day drives the commercial music. And guess what? Those 'youngsters' usually think their parents music is shit.

Not so sure about that. Although they didn't dare admit it at the time, for obvious reasons, even Elvis Costello (via Steve Naive) and the Sex Pistols borrowed from ABBA. The Clash and The Jam always rated The Kinks and The Who. Their drive and rebellion, of course, was against the prog rock 'gods' who had become incredibly self-indulgent and had nothing in common with most people's reality. There was also a political element, against the relentless unfairness of Thatcher'sUK. That gave us gems such as Rat Race and Ghost Town from The Specials.

So what I'm saying is every generation quite rightly wants to kick against the previous generation, who have authority and seniority over them. But a great many also see value in taking what was good from the past, and putting a new spin on it, or using it as the basis of something fresh. I am put in mind of one hit wonder White Town who had an international hit with 'Your Woman' sampling an ancient Al Boley track. From the old comes the new.

The Pistol's ranted against hippies, yet Mr Rotten lists prog hippy bands like Hawkwind amongst his favourites, and used to sell acid at their gigs. And Lemmy taught (or tried to) Mr Vicious how to play bass. Progressive punk? The Dammned were big fans of the Bonzo's and Viv Stanshall guested on their records etc. In his biography Mr Rotten admits to quite liking prog.

The new wave/romantic pap that soaked the charts when I was young, had me scrabbling for a fitting soundtrack, and the music of previous generations provided a suitable home for my ears.

Some of us are just more discerning I guess.