Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

App for midi translation?

Anyone know of an app that will do midi translation?

Example: one device sending MIDI CC values from 0-127, then an app to trigger a message based on the values received.

Looking to receive messages on channel 4, CC52 with values between 0-127, then have an app read those and trigger an outgoing messsage on channel 1, CC53, with value of 127 ... but only when the incoming message on CC52 is above 125 (and only send once). Then send again when the received value goes below 125, but again, only send it once.

I found MIDI Flow, which seemed like it could do this, but it doesn't allow control of only sending the outgoing message once, when the threshold is breached.

Comments

• @Stoopalini said:
    Looking to receive messages on channel 4, CC52 with values between 0-127, then have an app read those and trigger an outgoing messsage on channel 1, CC53, with value of 127 ... but only when the incoming message on CC52 is above 125 (and only send once). Then send again when the received value goes below 125, but again, only send it once.

I found MIDI Flow, which seemed like it could do this, but it doesn't allow control of only sending the outgoing message once, when the threshold is breached.

First off, in both cases (going up through 125 and going back down), you want the end value to always be a single CC53 127? i.e. not different values for going up and coming down?
    And when you say "above 125" and "below 125" are either or both of those inclusive of 125?

If 125 is simply the trigger point that's a lot more straightforward than if you need exclusive triggers or values (but those can also be managed).

Assuming you want a single CC53 127 when CC52 reaches 125 from either direction:
    In the remap tab, where you're transforming CC52 to CC53, set the Mode to Latch and set the Latch Trigger value to 125 with the Trigger Edge to both directions (the first icon).
    Then set both the Remapping Off and On values to 127.

Now when the CC52 input reaches 125 it latches on to 127 (which, farther down the line, gets converted to CC53 and re-channeled to 1).
    When it comes back down to 125 it latches off. However, since off is set to 127, it again sends a single 127 value (which, farther down the line, gets converted to CC53 and re-channeled to 1).

Other, more complex arrangements can be built but would probably require conditionals.

MIDIFlow preset included - add whatever ports and/or additional filtering you need.

• Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

What you described is what I initially tried, but the issue I'm running into is the expression pedal doesn't always send value 125 due to the sample rate of the pedal. This is why I was trying to find a solution for sending the value once, after the threshold has been crossed, and then not send again until it's been crossed again.

Here's a video I took to demonstrate the issue.

• I was thinking through this a bit more last night, and wonder if the following configuration is possible in MIDIflow?

Rule 1: If CC52 is greater than 125, then send CC53 message and mute rule 1 and unmute rule 2
    Rule 2: If CC52 is less than 125, then send CC53 message and mute rule 2 and unmute rule 1

I think this would get me what I'm looking for, but I can't figure out a way to have the rules auto-mute/unmute based on condition. I do have both the "Controller Remapping" and "Controller Conditions" add-ons purcahsed, and thought the Conditions feature would allow me to do this.

Any ideas?

• edited August 2017

Ok, more info. So I figured out I can change the MIDI value range on the Expression pedal, so I changed it to be from 0 - 2. So now when it's heel down, it send CC52 value 0, and when it's toe down it sends CC52 value 2.

Then I created a path in Midiflow, so when the CC52 value hits 2, with an increasing slope, it triggers the CC53 message. And when the CC52 value hits 0, with a decreasing slope, it triggers the CC53 message. I thought this would work because the expression pedal will not skip these values with the range being so small, regardless on how fast I operate the pedal.

Well, the issue I'm having now seems like a Midiflow issue. Where it only triggers the CC53 message the very 1st time the value is reached, and then on subsequent times when the criteria is met, it won't send the CC53 message again.

It's hard to explain, so I made another video demonstrating this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Did you ever get this to work?

I can confirm that the latch seems to be buggy: it latches on, but never unlatches or gets triggered again.

Actually, this seems to be a Trigger Edge issue as it's also happening in Increment mode if Trigger Edge is set to one of the uni-directional modes.

@JohannesD
    I saw in another thread that you have an update coming. Can you checkout the video above and lets us know if that is a bug?
    Basically, the uni-directional Trigger Edge settings (from below or from above) don't seem to work. If trigger edge is bi-directional, Increment and Latch work as expected.

• No, I never did get it to work as designed. I was able to eventually get it to work but using a different config. I ended up setting the expression pedal range from 0 - 2, and then set 2 paths in Midiflow. One with a latching trigger on value 0, with the edge set to the 'X', and the other with a latching trigger on value 2, also with the edge set to the 'X'.

This works, but each time I open the app, I have to go in and reselect the trigger value and edge type by changing them to something else, then back to what I described above. After doing this, it works.

To be fair, I did report the issue to the developer, and I did receive a response with a request to try out a beta version. But I don't have the Apple beta software installed to be able to download and try it out, and my iPad is used for live performance. So I'm hesitant to install anything that allows Apple to monitor and track app usage.

I figure since what I have works, I'll just wait for an update to fix the bug.

• @Stoopalini and for anyone coming across this thread, just a note that the MIDIFLow uni-directional Trigger Edge bug mentioned above was fixed in the last update (2.2.13)

Thanks @JohannesD !

• Yep, I can confirm the update fixed the problem. It works great now!

Here's a video demonstrating how I setup the triggers.