Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS11 and apps compatibility

Is anyone beta-testing iOS11 and can confirm which music apps work - even know - before the official launch and update?
I do remember reading that Nanostudio mk1 will stop working, for example. Anything else that we know?

Comments

• Here are the ones I have and know to work. I can't say I've exhaustively tested every function of every one, but they all load from the App Store and basically function as expected.

Auria Pro
    MultiTrack DAW
    Presonus Capture Duo
    Presonus Studio One RC
    iProphet
    iMini
    iSem
    Phase84
    FM4
    TF 7
    Epic
    DM1
    Skram
    AmpliTube
    Audiobus 2
    MIDI Wrench
    AudioDamage FuzzPlus 3

And GarageBand, of course.

• Skram! Thank god!

• @Purpan said:
    Skram! Thank god!

Ha!

• edited August 2017

@zhoe said:
    Is anyone beta-testing iOS11 and can confirm which music apps work - even know - before the official launch and update?
    I do remember reading that Nanostudio mk1 will stop working, for example. Anything else that we know?

there's a way to check on your device which of your apps are not ready for 11:

Settings/General/About/Applications there's a list of apps for which "no updates are available" and won't (yet) work with 11

• Korg Gadget has problems

• Apart from Nanostudio, all my music apps load on public beta 2. Beta 1 was less robust. There are still some breaking bugs. The app switcher locks up occasionally/daily, causing a reboot and lost work. If I hard quit Auria Pro without saving, it fails to auto load the project on restart and crashes; the only way to fix it is to uninstall then reinstall. There’s something wonky with headphones that causes ticking or humming noise after connecting.

Hopefully these will be fixed before iOS 11 is released. But if your iPad’s reliability is critical, maybe wait a couple of .01s.

• @Zoidberg said:
    Here are the ones I have and know to work. I can't say I've exhaustively tested every function of every one, but they all load from the App Store and basically function as expected.

Auria Pro
    MultiTrack DAW
    Presonus Capture Duo
    Presonus Studio One RC
    iProphet
    iMini
    iSem
    Phase84
    FM4
    TF 7
    Epic
    DM1
    Skram
    AmpliTube
    Audiobus 2
    MIDI Wrench
    AudioDamage FuzzPlus 3

And GarageBand, of course.

Thanks, I was worried about iMini from your list. It is good to know, cheers

• @Littlewoodg said:

@zhoe said:

Settings/General/About/Applications there's a list of apps for which "no updates are available" and won't (yet) work with 11

Excellen tip! I didn't know that, thanks dude!

• @TheMediocritist said:
    Apart from Nanostudio, all my music apps load on public beta 2. Beta 1 was less robust. There are still some breaking bugs. The app switcher locks up occasionally/daily, causing a reboot and lost work. If I hard quit Auria Pro without saving, it fails to auto load the project on restart and crashes; the only way to fix it is to uninstall then reinstall. There’s something wonky with headphones that causes ticking or humming noise after connecting.

Hopefully these will be fixed before iOS 11 is released. But if your iPad’s reliability is critical, maybe wait a couple of .01s.

Good point. I do know we'll see Nanostudio v.2, at least that's been said on its forum. I hope the official iOS11 release will address all that you mentioned.

• Checking the app compatibility (as of now) by going through Settings/General/About/Applications, I can see there is at least one Kymatica app (Oscillator) that is under 'no updates available'. Hope they address that, although I used the app a few times only when I wanted to sample some freqs and some white noises. It is pretty apt, must say.

Some other music apps that are also there are and won't be available, right?

• SpaceLab (pretty decent synth),
    • Synthtastic (useful and nuts)
    • FLUX:FX (Adrian Belew's invention, which is pretty rad)
    • Dulcimer (ok, I used that once or twice just to sample it)
    • Alchemy (old stuff)
    • Cubase iC (always had problems)
    • SYnc SYnTHE
    • MicroSynth (I downloaded this one in 2008, I think, ancient, but useful)
    • Shiny Drum (some good vintage drum sounds!)
    • Nano Studio (one of the pioneers)
    • Stomp Shop (I used some tape delays in the past)

On that list I am only concerned about SpaceLab, FLUX:FX and would like to keep the Shiny Drum, but I can sample its drum sounds. As for Nano Studio, I know that they don't wanna rewrite the code for it, but make the new version, so I'm down with that.

• Galileo organ completely not working. Iaa app icons not rendering in any host

• @zhoe Cubase IC - Just updated - should be OK. At least not on the dodo list.

• Anyone try any of the PositiveGrid apps on a 11 beta? As longs I have Auria and my PG apps I can get along. Nave, Modual, and SampleTank would be next on the list.

• Does split screen work with music apps or just apples native apps like notes and mail ? They're hyping this up as huge but if it only works with a few apps I don't see the big fuss?

• Split screen works with apps that support it. On iOS11 is not managed by OS, but as it is on iOS10. On iOS11 it is faster and better handled, but every app needs to support it.

• FLUX:FX should (?) become compatible. I've asked Noiise about it as it's one of my favorite and most used app, and they told me that they won't let this jewel "die"... let's hope it's true.

• edited August 2017

FLUX:FX long awaited 1.01 ??? <3

MIDI Start/Stop and a fix for the audio glitches when recording automation loops (as acknowledged by the developers) would finally make this useful for me, rather than sitting unloved and unused....

Sorry if I sound bitter about the lack of fix for the automation issue, but I was assured it would be fixed ASAP

• @ecstaticax said:
    Split screen works with apps that support it. On iOS11 is not managed by OS, but as it is on iOS10. On iOS11 it is faster and better handled, but every app needs to support it.

Ah ok thanks. I wonder if developed will. support it. Would be great for things like audiobus. No swotcjing between screens as much. Though I just don't see how they will resize the apps into an oblong shape. You'd hardly be able to see anything in daws etc.

• @triton100 said:
    Ah ok thanks. I wonder if developed will. support it. Would be great for things like audiobus. No swotcjing between screens as much. Though I just don't see how they will resize the apps into an oblong shape. You'd hardly be able to see anything in daws etc.

Honestly I don't miss split view on DAWs on my point of view. I mostly would like a good AU3 support on all apps (Sample Tank, BS-16, Gadget and so on).

• @Gratouilli said:
    FLUX:FX should (?) become compatible. I've asked Noiise about it as it's one of my favorite and most used app, and they told me that they won't let this jewel "die"... let's hope it's true.

I certainly hope so! However, they haven't been too keen on updates in the past. I mean, it's an award winning FX app which isn't even that old...

• Also, those who are beta-testing iOS11, is it slowing down some of the apps, what is the overall experience?
    I do have iPad Pro 9.7", and I hope I don't need to buy 10.5" to run everything smoothly. Any opinions on this?

• Apart from Gadget that needs to be updated, everything seems to work fine.

• Alchemy is the only app on the list. :(

@Littlewoodg said:

@zhoe said:

• @ecstaticax said:
    Apart from Gadget that needs to be updated, everything seems to work fine.

What do you mean?, Gadget seems to run fine here.

There where problems with My MicroKey Air not connecting, but they seem to have been resolved in beta 5.

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Alchemy is the only app on the list. :(

@Littlewoodg said:

@zhoe said:

I've got a pile

• @Littlewoodg said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@zhoe said:

I've got a pile

Yeah, me too...a similar pile. Loads of developers went missing it seems...

• Gonna miss Batterry on my iPad. That app really did wonders clearing out RAM crackles would go away but sadly going away.

@Littlewoodg said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@zhoe said:

I've got a pile

• @Peter321 said:

@ecstaticax said:
    Apart from Gadget that needs to be updated, everything seems to work fine.

What do you mean?, Gadget seems to run fine here.

There where problems with My MicroKey Air not connecting, but they seem to have been resolved in beta 5.

I still have to update to beta 5...

• @Peter321 said:

I installed beta5 and Gadget works fine now. Auria is broken.