Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best 909 app

2»

Comments

• For me it is Pure Acid

• @robosardine said:
    For me it is Pure Acid

Funny, i just opened the App After i Posted here :)

• edited June 2021

@robosardine said:
    For me it is Pure Acid

👍
    909, 808, 606 combo + 303

• What about Sugar Bytes drumcomputer?

• edited June 2021

@inder909 said:
    What about Sugar Bytes drumcomputer?

That has nothing to do with the 909 sound, it’s a thing on its own. It does has a lot of functions but personally I would like to be able to turn of the bitcrusher/distortion and resonator when randomizing kits. Just a simple on/off button would be very welcome for me (so the effects are not applied when changing/randomizing a kit). Those functions give the sounds a lot of character but I don’t always find them useful.

With regards to the 909 sound:

• Boom909, I still find that one very good, maybe even the best. But it’s not AU.
    • Audiokit 909, sounds are nice, but it’s not really usable because of the timing issues.
    • PureAcid, nice sounds, sounds good, works good. It’s like a Rebirth on steroids.
    • Strokemachine, really like this one, however no AU…

Personally I would like to see dedicated AU’s for a bassdrum, snaredrum, hats, claps etc. In the current available apps they mostly share the same functions. An app dedicated for claps, bd, sd, analog and digital mixed together…maybe Anton Corvest will surprise us?

• edited June 2021

Audiokit909 with no timing issues and Multi Audio Output Would be Perfect

• Audiokit's 909 works without issues in Nanostudio2

• @israelite said:
    Audiokit's 909 works without issues in Nanostudio2

Great, now the rest too…

• edited June 2021

@israelite said:
    Audiokit's 909 works without issues in Nanostudio2

No it doesn’t. The timing is off in Ns2 too.

You can hear it if you layer drums from other plug ins. The kick is way off, all the other drums are off, just by a bit less.

If you layer hi hats with, say, a drum kit from Slate you can hear them flam.

The picture shows an AK909 kick which should start at the beginning of the bar. but it has an audible delay —- which you can see at the start of the file.

• Nowadays: Pure Acid
    Unavailable if you didn't get them back then: Boom 909 and Rebirth

• Still have an old iPad with rebirth 👍

• There are loads of 909 samples available online, many for free (including in the massive and free Reverb Drum Machine Collection)

One option is to find the drum sounds you like and build your own 909 kit (along with many others).

• edited June 2021

@klownshed said:
    There are loads of 909 samples available online, many for free (including in the massive and free Reverb Drum Machine Collection)

One option is to find the drum sounds you like and build your own 909 kit (along with many others).

I guess the topic is more about an emulation of a drum synth where you can "create" and modify the sound not about samples :wink:

• @israelite said:

@klownshed said:
    There are loads of 909 samples available online, many for free (including in the massive and free Reverb Drum Machine Collection)

I guess the topic is more about an emulation of a drum synth where you can "create" and modify the sound not about samples :wink:

You can modify the sound of samples through envelope, filter+envelope, and pitch, quite effectively too.

I wouldn't call it the "best" by far, but I did a Drambo 909 kit for fun: https://patchstorage.com/tr-nine-o-mine/. Everything but the hats and cymbals are synthesized. TBH, I don't find most 909 emulations much better than starting with samples. Audiokit 909 is the exception. It's good enough that I accept the need to print to audio then fix up the timing issue.

• edited June 2021

@israelite said:

@klownshed said:

Is it? I just thought the OP just said most accurate. :wink:

Apps like rebirth and pure acid have been touted as the best and they’re both sample based for the drums. If you want “accurate” and in time 909s on iOS samples are the only way to go at the moment. If you make your own kits you get the sounds you want.

And i have my suspicions that the sounds in Ar909 are sample based. They sure behave like samples. Apart from being out of time. :-/ having said that it’s worth buying if you like the sound of it to re-sample and use in your own kits using any number of iOS sample player auv3s.

• @wim said:

@israelite said:

@klownshed said:

You can modify the sound of samples through envelope, filter+envelope, and pitch, quite effectively too.

I wouldn't call it the "best" by far, but I did a Drambo 909 kit for fun: https://patchstorage.com/tr-nine-o-mine/. Everything but the hats and cymbals are synthesized. TBH, I don't find most 909 emulations much better than starting with samples. Audiokit 909 is the exception. It's good enough that I accept the need to print to audio then fix up the timing issue.

Which is exactly why I’m looking forward to @brambos Hammerhead! 😁

• edited June 2021

As a previous owner of a TR909 I found the AK909’s knob-twiddly sound design very aurally satisfying. That said, I only had to sync it up once to discover the timing issues make it unusable as a standalone drum machine. I think the best solution would be to use the Rozeta Sequencer Suite’s XOX to program your patterns and drive the sounds of AK909. I haven’t tried it myself, but i can’t think of a reason it wouldn’t work.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@morbo said:
    As a previous owner of a TR909 I found the AK909’s knob-twiddly sound design very aurally satisfying. That said, I only had to sync it up once to discover the timing issues make it unusable as a standalone drum machine. I think the best solution would be to use the Rozeta Sequencer Suite’s XOX to program your patterns and drive the sounds of AK909. I haven’t tried it myself, but i can’t think of a reason it wouldn’t work.

The problem isn't with the sequencer, it's with the sound engine. That kick is still delayed way too much even with an accurate sequencer. The other sounds are off as well, but not by as much.

In fact, I wish they were all off by the same amount so that a rendered recording would just need to be nudged a bit to be in time. As it is you have to treat the kick separately.

• @wim said:

@morbo said:

The problem isn't with the sequencer, it's with the sound engine. That kick is still delayed way too much even with an accurate sequencer. The other sounds are off as well, but not by as much.

In fact, I wish they were all off by the same amount so that a rendered recording would just need to be nudged a bit to be in time. As it is you have to treat the kick separately.

Is there any hope they will ever address this issue? I believe they have taken a beating on as I recall. Does it just end there? With all the drum-based apps that have good timing it seems they could do something about it. Or do I remember it being some kind of issue within AudioKit? IDK. Just wondering aloud.

• Ruismaker?

• @anickt said:

@wim said:

@morbo said:

Is there any hope they will ever address this issue? I believe they have taken a beating on as I recall. Does it just end there? With all the drum-based apps that have good timing it seems they could do something about it. Or do I remember it being some kind of issue within AudioKit? IDK. Just wondering aloud.

I just don't think it's ever going to happen. I've reconciled to accepting it for what it is. I don't find it unusable, just more trouble than I hoped it would be. The sound and fun makes it worth it to me.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wimwim
    edited June 2021

My go-to sample set for 909 is free and can be found here: http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/Roland/TR-909/

Short of Audiokit 909, I've never been able to do better than these with any emulation (including my own).

• edited June 2021

@wim said:
    My go-to sample set for 909 is free and can be found here: http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufacturers/Roland/TR-909/

Short of Audiokit 909, I've never been able to do better than these with any emulation (including my own).

Hyperreal sure takes me back to the 80’s and my hardware days! Patches and librarians for my synths, samples, etc. 😭

It’d be worth anyone here to take a peek at the site.

• edited June 2021

@morbo said:

Well done on just casually throwing the 909 ownership in there front and centre.

Also, I have often wondered how you find out something is out of sync? Like, why do you assume it isn't in sync, especially with a drum machine? If I'd heard this I would think it was me or something else tbh.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@ashh said:

@morbo said:

Well done on just casually throwing the 909 ownership in there front and centre.

Also, I have often wondered how you find out something is out of sync? Like, why do you assume it isn't in sync, especially with a drum machine? If I'd heard this I would think it was me or something else tbh.

It was blatantly obvious at first. You’d have to be very non rhythmical not to notice the latency. All you needed to do was have a metronome running to hear how far off it was. Then they tightened it up considerably. But by then people were actually checking rendered wav files to see how far off the beat things were. All but the kick got at least in the ball park.

Sure, if you’re just playing a drum loop you might not notice it too much. But sequence in another hit at the same time as that kick, and you can clearly hear a flam.

The point is, though, it’s a frigging drum machine. There should be no reason for it not to be in time. It should be fixable, but doesn’t appear that it ever will be. I can live with that, but it really leaves me scratching my head.

• @wim said:

@ashh said:

@morbo said:

It was blatantly obvious at first. You’d have to be very non rhythmical not to notice the latency. All you needed to do was have a metronome running to hear how far off it was. Then they tightened it up considerably. But by then people were actually checking rendered wav files to see how far off the beat things were. All but the kick got at least in the ball park.

Sure, if you’re just playing a drum loop you might not notice it too much. But sequence in another hit at the same time as that kick, and you can clearly hear a flam.

The point is, though, it’s a frigging drum machine. There should be no reason for it not to be in time. It should be fixable, but doesn’t appear that it ever will be. I can live with that, but it really leaves me scratching my head.

Yeah it's definitely something that I would want to be, like, a bottom line rather than 'a feature'. "Hey folks, check out the new drum machine from Audio Kit. It's in time and everything!"

• @oat_phipps said:
    If you want to pay for them, http://samplesfrommars.com has the best 808/909/vintage drum machine samples I've ever heard.

Loaded into Patterning, they remain well-organized. Top-notch stuff.

Woh. Those are great. No wonder those Auxy packs sound so good.