Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Zoom LiveTrak - L-12 Digital Mixer and Multitrack Recorder

2»

Comments

• edited February 2018

@echoopera said:
    The Zoom looks pretty cool. I've been eyeing the SoundCraft 12 MTK as well...it's slightly le$$ with the same sort of onboard recording functionality.

https://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/products/signature-12-mtk

I've been eyeing the MTK series for a while myself. They don't offer the same on-board recording feature the Zoom has. For me, that's the main draw of the Zoom—not as a DAW interface but as a DAW itself. Transfer to a software based DAW later to mix.

Bummed to hear about the fader wobble experience with the MTK12!

• @syrupcore said:

@echoopera said:
    The Zoom looks pretty cool. I've been eyeing the SoundCraft 12 MTK as well...it's slightly le$$ with the same sort of onboard recording functionality.

I've been eyeing the MTK series for a while myself. They don't offer the same on-board recording feature the Zoom has. For me, that's the main draw of the Zoom—not as a DAW interface but as a DAW itself. Transfer to a software based DAW later to mix.

Hrmmm...so it doesn't record directly on the Device itself? It's just routing the signal to your DAW via USB? well, that's lame if it's the case...I could have sworn it would record direct on the mixer...if not...then forget that :)

• thanks... I can't seem to find anything like these that has side chain, anybody know of anything?

• @SpookyZoo said:

@Lurcher said:
    How many stereo inputs does it have?

Stereo Channels are 9/10 & 11/12. But these are also used for the USB returns so you’d have to choose the function of those.

This is something i'd really like to see addressed by some future mixer - many more STEREO inputs.

AUM does this on all its channels - clearly since most IAA apps are likely to be stereo. Modern guitar multi-effect unites like HELIX, AXFX, Boss etc are stereo - most modern digital keyboards run in stereo - and iPads are stereo. Anything with reverb or delays is likely to be stereo.

So i'd like to see 3-4 stereo inputs - or an option where the stereo USB inputs get placed on pairs of the MONO faders leaving the two stereo analog inputs/faders for just that.

• @syrupcore said:

@echoopera said:

My sometimes-Horse-Gas-collaborator friend bought the R16 last week. The lazy bugger hasn’t set it up yet, but I’m impressed with the build quality - no wobbly faders on that one.

• @syrupcore said:

I think it’s that the faders protuded a fair amount of height up from the mixer. I personally would have preferred if they were a little more ‘flush’.

• @nonchai said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@Lurcher said:
    How many stereo inputs does it have?

Stereo Channels are 9/10 & 11/12. But these are also used for the USB returns so you’d have to choose the function of those.

This is something i'd really like to see addressed by some future mixer - many more STEREO inputs.

AUM does this on all its channels - clearly since most IAA apps are likely to be stereo. Modern guitar multi-effect unites like HELIX, AXFX, Boss etc are stereo - most modern digital keyboards run in stereo - and iPads are stereo. Anything with reverb or delays is likely to be stereo.

So i'd like to see 3-4 stereo inputs - or an option where the stereo USB inputs get placed on pairs of the MONO faders leaving the two stereo analog inputs/faders for just that.

Totally with you - I need about 6 stereo channels & 6 mono channels!

• @echoopera said:

@syrupcore said:

@echoopera said:

Hrmmm...so it doesn't record directly on the Device itself? It's just routing the signal to your DAW via USB? well, that's lame if it's the case...I could have sworn it would record direct on the mixer...if not...then forget that :)

LiveTrak lets you record 12 discrete tracks up to
    24-bit/96 kHz WAV audio to an SD card
    while simultaneously mixing your live show.
    Tracks are recorded pre-EQ and effects, so
    they can be transferred to your favorite DAW
    for further mixing and editing.

• I seriously looked at the LiveTrak, but ultimately went with the MTK12. 14 in/12 out, metal, and the biggie (for me) 3 Aux sends. It’s a good sounding board, warm to my ear. Have to watch gain staging though, It will get noisy. And yes, there is wobble on the fader.

• @enc said:

@echoopera said:

@syrupcore said:

@echoopera said:

LiveTrak lets you record 12 discrete tracks up to
    24-bit/96 kHz WAV audio to an SD card
    while simultaneously mixing your live show.
    Tracks are recorded pre-EQ and effects, so
    they can be transferred to your favorite DAW
    for further mixing and editing.

Yep. I know that about the Zoom. I was referring to the Soundcraft unit Syrupcore and i we’re discussing.

• @waynerowand said:
    I seriously looked at the LiveTrak, but ultimately went with the MTK12. 14 in/12 out, metal, and the biggie (for me) 3 Aux sends. It’s a good sounding board, warm to my ear. Have to watch gain staging though, It will get noisy. And yes, there is wobble on the fader.

Hey Wayne. How did you get on with the USB return? Are you succesfulling porting back Audio from iPad? I found it a bit unintuitive myself.

• @SpookyZoo Yea, it took me a hot minute to understand the routings. In a DAW or anywhere else where output channel can be selected, 13+14 are available.( I prefer to use this instead of eating up an input channel.) Where you can not select an output channel, 1+2 will be your stereo return. Like I said though, using 1+2 as a return eats input channels unnecessarily. A little confusing......but I think the routing options are one of the strengths of the MTK12.

• edited February 2018

@waynerowand said:
    @SpookyZoo Yea, it took me a hot minute to understand the routings. In a DAW or anywhere else where output channel can be selected, 13+14 are available.( I prefer to use this instead of eating up an input channel.) Where you can not select an output channel, 1+2 will be your stereo return. Like I said though, using 1+2 as a return eats input channels unnecessarily. A little confusing......but I think the routing options are one of the strengths of the MTK12.

Yeah, certainly felt like the routings of the MTK 12 would be great in the right hands. Unfortunately I really couldn’t get a handle on it and the support emails I got back, although helpful at first, went radio silent for 2 weeks, so I grudgingly had to give in and return the unit.

Good to hear you’re pleased with it. Did you use it on your latest Bandcamp stuff?

I’m actually happier with the Live track for my uses. It fits on my desk better and the multi functionality is great.

• edited February 2018

@SpookyZoo Sorry to hear about the bad customer service, that really sucks! I just started mashing buttons until I figured out what everything does and where it goes. I do really like it, wish it was a tad smaller though. Yes, the last 6 on Bandcamp came through this board. My biggest gripe, by far, is that there isn’t an on/off switch.....what?!? Put it on a strip with the monitors so problem solved, but really......is a switch that expensive?

Glad the live track is filling the bill for you!

• I purchased a Live track and need a little help. I would like to side chain additional analog EQ and possibly compression. I trie using the outputs to recycle through an input but got way to much noise. I need to get it in the mix prior tooth digital recorder. Any ideas out there?

• I find the live track to be counter intuitive, too many actions to get something done. The recorder isn't a smooth process like the HN-6 Zoom also builds and hooking to other analog equipment does not work well. On top of all this the play back function in the one I purchased did not work at any level and the Zoom support is simple and as slow as a herd of turtles. I returned it.
    Maybe as a stand alone unit it might be good and Zooms other recorders are excellent but this one needs some work, in my opinion

• Jost got my new Zoom L-12. And out of the box it look like I have a problem with the faders. Faders 1, 2 and 3 (tracks) seem to be grouped and are all slave to the track 1 fader. Fader 4 works fine. Faders 5, 6 and 7 are slave to fader 5, fader 8 and the 2 stereo tracks work fine (individually). I didn't see anything about grouping faders in the manual (maybe I missed it). Is there a way to group or ungroup faders on the L-12? The problem occurs in all mode (master or monitor).

• By the way I did restore factory settings and have the lattest firmware 1.04

• edited March 2018

@racegig said:
    Jost got my new Zoom L-12. And out of the box it look like I have a problem with the faders. Faders 1, 2 and 3 (tracks) seem to be grouped and are all slave to the track 1 fader. Fader 4 works fine. Faders 5, 6 and 7 are slave to fader 5, fader 8 and the 2 stereo tracks work fine (individually). I didn't see anything about grouping faders in the manual (maybe I missed it). Is there a way to group or ungroup faders on the L-12? The problem occurs in all mode (master or monitor).

I’m not sure there’s grouping of faders. Could be wrong though.

Sounds strange.

Just checking that you do realise that you need to pass the fader back past it’s previous level in order to then change them. Kinda like some synths have ‘pickup’ on their values where they only change when that value is passed by.

Hope that makes sense.

• Yes I did figure that. I reread the manual again and no mention of grouping faders. So I really can't use this recorder since I have no control over what I'm doing.

• I did send a email to Zoom support but they are closed on sunday

• That’s definitely strange behaviour. Hope they get it sorted for you.

• Rise, necrothread. I'm thinking about a Zoom LiveTrack (specifically, the L-20R) and I'm curious if forumites are liking these in 2022.

My setup is centered around hardware with a 16-channel mixer as its hub. I'd put each of my channel outs into the L-20R to get back the immediacy of a "tape machine", which has always been my most productive approach with music. The iPad integration seems like it would bridge the worlds in ways that my current homunculus arrangement of interfaces does not.

• You win the 2022 Lazarus award for bringing a thread back from the dead. Over 4 years old. Quite an achievement.