Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Down the AU3 rabbit hole

Last night, I loaded up strng (driven by ChordFlow) as an IAA in AUM, set up about 7 buses each with their own AU effect, routed them all to a master bus, and spent hours tweaking the effects, fading the buses in and out creating a wall of sound and recording the results. I was pretty mesmerized by not only how well my iPad handled multiple AUs (Pro 9.7"- I think it peaked around 50% CPU usage, no crashing or audio stuttering in the recordings) but also how much fun it was having all of those effects and mixing options at my fingertips without having to switch apps.

So I got a little trigger happy and bought a ton of AUs effects to experiment with. Off the top of my head, here's what I have:

Audio Damage: Eos 2, Dubstation 2, Replicant 2, Rough Rider, Fuzz Plus 3
Klevgränd: Haaze, Korvpressor, R0Verb, Svep
apeSoft: apeFilter
Blamsoft: Resampler
Lofionic: Duplicat, Mani
VirSyn: Reslice
Erik Sigth: frekvens

Also patiently waiting for the Kymatica AUFX effects to update with AU support because I have all those, too.

My question is, am I missing anything you consider essential? I know I have a lot to chew on already, but please tell me if there's an AU effect that you're fond of I might be overlooking. Trying to avoid too much overlap because I'm a man of humble means, but if there's a chorus effect for example that does something that both Svep and Mani can't, or does it better, I'm all ears. I think one element I'm missing is a ducking/sidechain AU effect, although I don't know that's possible until AUFX:Push is updated. Any advice is appreciated!

Comments