Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatmaker 3.01 update live

Comments

• If you set it up the way I described, you only need to set it up at the bank level, and you won't lose anything when you swap out a sample.

• ah ok yes that's working too, easier to swap samples that way :)

• Tried running Cubasis as a midi file sequencer direct into BM3,didn't work. Then tried with AB3 as the host with Cubasis in midi slots and using MF adaptor. Sort of worked using different channels but had to select AB3 as midi in source in BM3 to hear sounds triggered by the midi file rather than MF adaptor. Got totally confused in the end and gave up. I did manage to trigger multiple pads with synths on using midi files but the complex nature of setup wasn't worth it in the end .

• If all you're trying to do is play a midi file, why not import it into BM3?

• Hopefully they'll fix AB3 midi at some point which will make things easier.

• wimwim
    edited August 2017
    • deleted - misread the post above.
  • wimwim
    edited August 2017

@Carnbot said:
    Hopefully they'll fix AB3 midi at some point which will make things easier.

I don't understand too well why fixing AB3 Midi has anything to do with this. It works fine in AB3 Audio slot.

• @wim said:

@Carnbot said:

I don't understand too well why fixing AB3 Midi has anything to do with this. It works fine in AB3 Audio slot.

It just makes sending midi to any app a lot easier without configuration, currently it's broken with BM3

• @Carnbot said:

@wim said:

@Carnbot said:

It just makes sending midi to any app a lot easier without configuration, currently it's broken with BM3

Not to quibble or anything, but I think that it's "not implemented" rather than "broken". You could say the same for most iOS apps at this point, couldn't you?

But I'm still not understanding how it would make configuring anything easier. In this case you have Patterning (which is "not implemented" with AB3 compatibility) which couldn't be set up in MIDI input slot anyway, sending to BM3 which has no problem receiving from Patterning if loaded as an audio input or output.

Yes, if you load BM3 in an midi output slot, AB3 "takes over" the midi input for BM3 so that apps, like Patterning, which aren't AB3 midi senders, can't send to it. That is by AB3 design, not BM3 design. The "complication" of having to add the MidiFlow Adapter is due to Patterning, not BM3 having implemented AB3 Midi compatibility.

So, unless I'm missing something here, BM3 has nothing to "fix". Patterning has something to "implement", and AB3 has intentional design decisions driving things.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, only to understand if I'm missing something, and if not, to point out that hoping BM3 will fix something like this is off-track.

• Of course, if what you really meant is it would make it easier to send data from BM3 to other apps, true. But still not "broken" but rather, "not implemented".

• Makes sense.

@wim said:
    Of course, if what you really meant is it would make it easier to send data from BM3 to other apps, true. But still not "broken" but rather, "not implemented".

• @wim said:
    Of course, if what you really meant is it would make it easier to send data from BM3 to other apps, true. But still not "broken" but rather, "not implemented".

If it's not been at least partially implemented then BM3 shouldn't be in the receiving list in AB3 midi panel so maybe it should be removed from there in that case. There's obviously an iAA midi port there but it's not working or something, or maybe it's in the list in error.

But yes it makes configuring everything lot easier. For example now I set up my AB preset I can just add different midi sending apps apps into the mix and swap out patterning for other apps without doing anything in BM3 and you can save it all as a template. it just gives you more time playing/experimenting than configuring.

But I wasn't referring to Patterning in my post only to the general use of sending midi to BM3 from various sources. The midiflow adapter is a workaround anyway but I'm glad to have it in this situation :)

• wimwim
    edited August 2017

I guess I'm still not making my point clear. This is an AB3 design thing, not a BM3 problem. Lots of (most?) apps can be loaded into an AB3 midi slot whether they're fully AB3 midi compatible or not. The thing is, once you do that AB3 owns (or should own) the midi stream, and only AB3 midi senders will be able to output to it. That's by AB3 design.

Having it list in the midi output means you can choose whether to load it there (under AB3 control), or in on the audio side (where non-AB3 midi sender apps can send to it).

The midiflow adapter is indeed a workaround so that you can load apps in the AB3 midi slot under AB3 midi control, and has its uses, but unless you're doing anything AB3 specific like using MidiFlow filters, it doesn't add anything to put BM3 there.

Still ... I can find nothing BM3 needs to "fix" relating to AB3 midi.

• @wim said:
    The midiflow adapter is indeed a workaround so that you can load apps in the AB3 midi slot under AB3 midi control, and has its uses, but unless you're doing anything AB3 specific like using MidiFlow filters, it doesn't add anything to put BM3 there.

Yes using filters and changing apps/splitting apps midi sources without configuring the target, this adds a lot.

Still ... I can find nothing BM3 needs to "fix" relating to AB3 midi.

I's an iAA instrument port so should receive midi on that port in AB3 or any other host so maybe it's not been implemented 100% but that port still needs a fix. They haven't made clear how compatible with AB it is. But I think they should say Audiobus 2 and not just Audiobus.

There's lots of other issues so I'm sure it's not top priority. Anyhoo, I'm just happy that mdiflow can make it play with AB3....

• edited August 2017

I can see in AUM that it's listed as an instrument but the port is called "Beatmaker 3 OUT (Audio)" So I think maybe it's just a generator but it's been mislabelled in the database.
    ....But it's definitely broken as a port for me because if I host it in AUM I also get distorted Audio there too.

• @wim, @carnbot, @JohnnyGoodyear

So, I tried to connect things like described above and make a template.

Audiobus preset 'Patterning&Bm3': http://preset.audiob.us/u0d8g253GDWzeZ6

Open audiobus and before loading in the ab3 preset, open patterning and load the .onps file (see below), ((eventually raise the master volume in the mixer later when you press the global ab play button))

then open bm3 and load the .bm3 session (ditto)

In bm3 midi settings turn off midi pad omni routing, select patterning only as midi input device. In bm3's mixer tap monitor on the pad's tracks 1-9.

The midi channels 1-8 from patterning to bm coming in on their respective pads, on pad 9 an audio unit (swarplug) is loaded, and triggered by all channels. Select a pattern in the scene to record midi.

Attention: Everything was clunky while preparing the preset and session, please let me know if it's functioning. It seems that state-saving and preset up- and downloading is flaky still. Audiobus might freeze and after a restart the preset should be there, but the pic might be missing, and relaunching will be necessary.

Messy, but basically there are multiple patterning outputs routed into bm3 in the audiobus3 audio window, with midi sent from patterning virtual port directly to a bm3 bank on 8 seperate pads and an extra au on another pad, reflected in the mixer.

Also from here you could send the midi out to other destinations by configuring it in the bank options etc.

Hope that bungle isn't too distracting, cheers.

• Thanks for the alternate option @ccs2 and I just realised I probably should have included the Patterning file in the midiflow adapter preset also...

• @Carnbot yeah, sharing should be easier ;] tbh I'm a bit at a loss with midiflow adapter most of the time, the displayed ports fill up the midi options be it in bm, aum, auria or elsewhere, and I'm unsure with the routing flow.

• @ccs2 said:
    @Carnbot yeah, sharing should be easier ;] tbh I'm a bit at a loss with midiflow adapter most of the time, the displayed ports fill up the midi options be it in bm, aum, auria or elsewhere, and I'm unsure with the routing flow.

Yeah it can be tricky to work with especially if you need to use different channels with it. It would help if you could turn off the unused ports from broadcasting perhaps.

• wimwim
    edited August 2017

@Carnbot said:
    I's an iAA instrument port so should receive midi on that port in AB3 or any other host so maybe it's not been implemented 100% but that port still needs a fix. They haven't made clear how compatible with AB it is. But I think they should say Audiobus 2 and not just Audiobus.

I'll try one more time then let it go. o:)

• If you load BM3 in the audio tab in AB3, it can accept from any core midi app.
    • If you load BM3 in the midi tab in AB3, it can only accept from AB3 midi sources.
    • The above is by AB3 Design. There is nothing broken about this from BM3's standpoint. It's the way it's supposed to work.

I guess I could be missing something here, but I'm failing to see it.

• What is broken is BM3 doesn't load properly in AB3 unless you launch it first outside the app. That's true for a number of apps as well.

• @wim said:

@Carnbot said:

I'll try one more time then let it go.

• If you load BM3 in the audio tab in AB3, it can accept from anything.
    • If you load BM3 in the midi tab in AB3, it can only accept from AB3 midi sources.
    • The above is by AB3 Design. There is nothing broken about this from BM3's standpoint. It is the way it's supposed to work.

Sorry I think you are missing the point here, the port isn't functioning as an IAA instrument port at all, nothing to do with Audiobus here. It's not working in AUM either (for me). Read my post above . :)

"> - If you load BM3 in the midi tab in AB3, it can only accept from AB3 midi sources"
    This doesn't work (yet) because it's not a functioning IAA midi port.

If it's fully AB3 midi compatible then yes the rest of the ports are closed when in AB3 midi mode. But if it's just an IAA instrument then it can (or should) still receive midi notes on that port which it can't.

So for now core midi is working in BM3 but not IAA midi, which it is showing a port for.
    I think they just made an error in the classification of the port that's all. No big deal. :)

Hope that makes sense.

• Did Egoist stop working for anybody since 3.01 update? It waa working for me before. By stop working, I mean dead in the water.

• @Carnbot said:

@wim said:

@Carnbot said:

• The above is by AB3 Design. There is nothing broken about this from BM3's standpoint. It is the way it's supposed to work.

Sorry I think you are missing the point here, the port isn't functioning as an IAA instrument port at all, nothing to do with Audiobus here. It's not working in AUM either (for me). Read my post above . :)

"> - If you load BM3 in the midi tab in AB3, it can only accept from AB3 midi sources"

If it's fully AB3 midi compatible then yes the rest of the ports are closed when in AB3 midi mode. But if it's just an IAA instrument then it can (or should) still receive midi notes on that port which it can't.

So for now core midi is working in BM3 but not IAA midi, which it is showing a port for.
    I think they just made an error in the classification of the port that's all. No big deal. :)

Hope that makes sense.

Ahh, the part I was missing was that BM3 isn't accepting MIDI In from AB3 senders in an AB3 midi lane as it should, and that this apparently related to it not accepting IAA midi either.

Got it. Next time I'm over on the Intua forum I'll check for posts reporting the error.

Thanks for your patience.

• I need more banks. Simple as that.

• edited August 2017

@wim said:

@Carnbot said:

@wim said:

@Carnbot said:

Hope that makes sense.

Ahh, the part I was missing was that BM3 isn't accepting MIDI In from AB3 senders in an AB3 midi lane as it should, and that this apparently related to it not accepting IAA midi either.

Got it. Next time I'm over on the Intua forum I'll check for posts reporting the error.

Thanks for your patience.

Well, thanks for confirming... I thought was 'my dumb ass' that didn't/couldn't get it...
    Pretty sure it will shine in a few updates...

• @RajahP said:

> Pretty sure it will shine in a few updates...

>

Guys, this is a little nuts. All of the brilliant ministrations of @wim and @Carnbot and @ccs2 and @gonekrazy3000 combined still can't solve BM3. There seems to be whole sections of this app that are taped off and under construction. No one forced me to buy this the moment it came out (literally) — although those BM3 beta testers who intimated that this app would solve all problems seem to be awfully quiet right about now.

Good luck to those of you who are up to the challenge of solving the mysteries of BM3. My new radical agenda: learn the apps I already bought.
    Starting with iPulsaret.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@RajahP said:

>

Guys, this is a little nuts. All of the brilliant ministrations of @wim and @Carnbot and @ccs2 and @gonekrazy3000 combined still can't solve BM3. There seems to be whole sections of this app that are taped off and under construction. No one forced me to buy this the moment it came out (literally) — although those BM3 beta testers who intimated that this app would solve all problems seem to be awfully quiet right about now.

Good luck to those of you who are up to the challenge of solving the mysteries of BM3. My new radical agenda: learn the apps I already bought.
    Starting with iPulsaret.

Works for me. Needs a bit of polish, but there's nothing else like it in iOSland, so no point throwing baby out with the bath water.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@RajahP said:

>

Starting with iPulsaret.

The patch seems to have made modstep work with Bm3. Just been a bit busy with other stuff irl so didn't get much time to make music at all. Will definitely start using Bm3+modstep when I get time :)

• @MonzoPro said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@RajahP said:

>

Starting with iPulsaret.

Works for me. Needs a bit of polish, but there's nothing else like it in iOSland, so no point throwing baby out with the bath water.

Yes it depends how you use it. It's working great in some ways but not every bug is fixed yet. But yes works great with Modstep now too. :)