Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nikolozi's NFM

Comments

• @locosynth said:
    The only comparable apps are Phasemaker and TF7.
    ... TF7 sounds great too but it is a hybrid synth, not pure FM.

TF-7 is pure FM with just a filter/fx stage added - just like Yamaha did with their later releases, for example an expansion board for some keyboard/rack synths.
    But it's a more modern 'clean' engine and those expanded algorithms are stellar.

• It does sound really good this:

• Looks promising...wish it had its own preset system though

• @Carnbot said:
    It does sound really good this:

It does sound great, but, nothing makes it ..... different, or does it?

• A proper 6 operator FM synth like the DX7 or FM8. FM8 is, of course, the one synth that comes with Komplete that 99% of people never program themselves because it is too scary and seemingly difficult.

I wonder if this instantiation will make it any more intuitive?

• @Telefunky said:
    hard to tell as you seem to have some reverb added, but the tone seems to have some of the original DX-7 grit - good stuff.
    ps: just watched a video (the clip from bimbam above) and the 'verby' thing is more likely from the flanger pad that adds some ambience.
    (can't tell if some overshoots are from his recording or the engine, but fm can get wild anyway)

Sorry I thought it was recorded dry, yes small amount of EOS 2 on there and maybe some FX from NFM. I made a sound in NFM synth, recorded one note into BM3 and played across the keyboard. Works well though and I like the sounds from this new app :)

• the dude in the video just activates dry presets one after the other.
    Imh ears it covers the original DX-7 flavour quite well, which is a big plus.
    FM-8 has few in common with this (even using identical algorithms), it's way too clean and more like TF-7 in IOS, which also features this pristine sound.

• They all sound more like the VolcaFM, than the original DX'ssss. Cleaner.

• yes, the converter dirt is certainly missing - but it seems less clean than FM-8 and not as 'flat' as I remember FM-7. No idea about the Volcas, though.

• @Telefunky said:
    yes, the converter dirt is certainly missing - but it seems less clean than FM-8 and not as 'flat' as I remember FM-7. No idea about the Volcas, though.

I never really liked the digital dirt on my DX7 when I had it. I think NFM sounds very good, but needs a better variety of presets. The lack of presets in BM3 is a bit of a downer.

• Can it import DX7 SysEx? If not that would be a good thing to consider implementing

• edited July 2017

From the dev... demo playlist

• Some people like a hot sunny beach, me I've spent an enjoyable week studying FM synthesis and I am really digging the NFM synth. Here's a patch I created and played through dubstation in BM3...

• @Trueyorky said:
    Some people like a hot sunny beach, me I've spent an enjoyable week studying FM synthesis and I am really digging the NFM synth. Here's a patch I created and played through dubstation in BM3...

nice :)
    It does sound more like hardware than most of the FM apps.

• I pulled the trigger. It’s surprisingly good. Would love to see the top FM sound designers get involved on this one. Lots of potential.

• edited August 2017

I recently purchased NFM and it looks like a versitile FM synth. I love the custom algorithms but it would be great to see the DX7 algorithms in there too but I guess I can create them myself.

My only gripe is that there is no way to access and save the presets in BM3. I followed Doug's solution but clicking on the NFM icon doesn't show the presets in BM3.

• @Artmuzz said:
    I recently purchased NFM and it looks like a versitile FM synth. I love the custom algorithms but it would be great to see the DX7 algorithms in there too but I guess I can create them myself.

My only gripe is that there is no way to access and save the presets in BM3. I followed Doug's solution but clicking on the NFM icon doesn't show the presets in BM3.

No and I made the dev aware of this but the new BM3 update means you can now your creations as sound banks to recall in new projects. It works great and yes, very easy to recreate the DX7 algorithms in NFM.

• @Carnbot said:

@Trueyorky said:
    Some people like a hot sunny beach, me I've spent an enjoyable week studying FM synthesis and I am really digging the NFM synth. Here's a patch I created and played through dubstation in BM3...

nice :)
    It does sound more like hardware than most of the FM apps.

Cheers, it is capable of a stunning range of sounds and so easy to throw other AU effects, filters etc. if needed.

• @Trueyorky said:

@Artmuzz said:

No and I made the dev aware of this but the new BM3 update means you can now your creations as sound banks to recall in new projects. It works great and yes, very easy to recreate the DX7 algorithms in NFM.

That's what I have been doing. I have been creating my own patches and saving it as a bank on BM3.

The beauty of it not having presets on BM3 is that I can be creative and delve into the fabulous world of fm synthesis and come up with some complex atmospheric sounds and I am really enjoying it. I have always said that fm synthesis is best when delving into sound design rather than relying on presets.

• edited August 2017

Glad you guys like NFM!

I may end up adding preset selection UI to the extension, but I'll probably make it a setting, so you can hide it if you want to. it seems there are a lot of BM3 users out there :smiley:

• @Nikolozi said:
    Glad you guys like NFM!

I may end up adding preset selection UI to the extension, but I'll probably make it a setting, so you can hide it if you want to. it seems there are a lot of BM3 users out there :smiley:

Always good to hear feedback from dev's :)

• This synth could be big.

• @Nikolozi said:
    Glad you guys like NFM!

love the sound of it from the demos, is there any prospect of being compatible with DX7 patches? That would be great if possible, although I guess difficult to program.

• Big fan of this already. Seems to me it best captures the sometimes edgy musicality of FM. Very easy to get raspy brass, for example.

• edited August 2017

Love it

Sounds great and very easy to get started with

• edited August 2017

@locosynth said:

@Looping_Loddar said:
    How does it compare with Phasemaker?

(which is about half the price and offers an interesting feature set)

So far, more powerful because of more control over the algorithms and individual feedback. Very much like FM8 with 6 operators. Also has FM gain and distortion and very powerful envelopes and Modulation routings. Very impressive so far.

Bought it and liked it .But I don't really understand how the algorithms work,There is not expert mode like in FM8 . In TF7 there are 39 algo where we can change everything easily,42 in phasemaker ,8 in DXi ,8 in Fm4, 36 in FM6 ...We need a user guide for this ...And more presets I do agree too .

• @grego68 said:

Bought it and liked it .But I don't really understand how the algorithms work,

You will find lots of resources online with many based around FM8 and the matrix is very relevant for learning about the power and flexibility of creating your own algorithms in NFM.

For those who have the patience I would urge taking some time to learn some FM theory as for me it took my random tweaks and number fumbling to a whole new level. NFM is an extremely powerful synth and goes way beyond a preset range of algorithms. :)

• edited August 2017

@Nikolozi said:
    Glad you guys like NFM!

Thanks - that would be cool!
    Also perhaps add preset selection UI for NS1, which I'm also enjoying in BM3

• Ha - my super 18 oscillator FM additive synth using three instances of NFM...

• Thought I'd give this a bump. I just picked up NFM, since I'm a big fan of the sound and simplicity of NS1, and after a quick run through of the presets, I'm quite impressed. It seems to have that classic FM sound, but with some nice warmth to it. Looking forward to learning to program this one.