Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is there a way to overwrite notes by playing over them in Gadget?

I'm an amateur and frankly not very musical by nature, but I have been enjoying messing around "drawing" notes in Gadget. It is basically a process of trial and error for me. It's slow, but I eventually get patterns and bits of songs I'm happy with. I would like to record notes by actually playing them, if only because this would speed the process up. However, with little natural rhythm or any knowledge of music theory or structure, I am unable to just press record and play something on the first try.

I also have iKaossilator, and I love how whatever you play/draw just overwrites whatever was created previously from the same sound source in the same time within the loop. This makes it easy to quickly add and overwrite bits and pieces of a loop until you come up with something interesting. It's great for beginners. I haven't been able to find any way to do this in Gadget, but it seems it should be possible on an instrument by instrument basis. Is it? If not, is it likely we will ever see this feature?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• edited July 2017

I feel ya. I really do. I am also a huge huge fan of this feature. It's not even just that it's good for beginners, but musically useful for anyone really. It amounts to a perfect blend of improvisation and fine tweaking of phrases and should definitely be more common. You can find similar functions in Figure and the new Beatonal but those both miss the KEY ingredient which is that old notes are erased IN THEIR ENTIRETY when a new note coincides. No wonky pitch bending back to the tail end of an old note. Funnily enough, Gadget used to have this in the form of the "hold to erase" button. Basically you just had to hold that while playing and it would do it. But that feature was removed in favor of the scale on/off on the piano roll. Which is an absolutely terrible choice. Please devs, we implore you, implement this feature in your midi recording apps!

You can also do this in korg ids-10 but that is far and away the worst implementation of the feature

• Thanks db909, I was hoping I was just overlooking a button to accomplish this. Korg must recognize the appeal of this feature since they used it with iKaossilator, so hopefully they will bring it back to Gadget.

• That would be cool but Korgs not really into listening to their users at all.

• Right behind you again on this one. It's really just a monophonic option that the devs need to include.
    I wonder why Korg doesn't listen to it's customers- because they really don't. There has to be a reason........talking of which- I wonder how the new Propellerhead app is progressing. I heard nothing from my offer to be a beta tester.

• @robosardine it's not exactly a simple monophonic thing. When they do it just by that method that's when you lose note attacks and get unwanted pitch bends and wonkiness like if you tried it in Figure with no rhythm pattern. But yeah, point remains. I have yet to hear anything from propellerheads also

• That would be ideal for any midi sequencer. It's weird that the norm for recording midi is when it loops around, you start piling notes on top of what you just recorded. Who wants that??

Unless it's a drum machine, you rarely want to layer perfomances on top of one another, on a single instrument.

• edited July 2017

@Processaurus said:
    That would be ideal for any midi sequencer. It's weird that the norm for recording midi is when it loops around, you start piling notes on top of what you just recorded. Who wants that??

Unless it's a drum machine, you rarely want to layer perfomances on top of one another, on a single instrument.

Exactly. Though to be fair, there have been occasions where one might want to build up harmonies in multiple passes, but why not have both. Toggle between recording settings or something. I mean this strikes me as small feature that has enormous impact and usefulness and yet, no one is doing it.

• @db909 said:
    That would be cool but Korgs not really into listening to their users at all.

It's possible they simply don't comprehend us, being a Japanese company :p

• @xxeyes said:
    I'm an amateur and frankly not very musical by nature, but I have been enjoying messing around "drawing" notes in Gadget. It is basically a process of trial and error for me. It's slow, but I eventually get patterns and bits of songs I'm happy with. I would like to record notes by actually playing them, if only because this would speed the process up. However, with little natural rhythm or any knowledge of music theory or structure, I am unable to just press record and play something on the first try.

I also have iKaossilator, and I love how whatever you play/draw just overwrites whatever was created previously from the same sound source in the same time within the loop. This makes it easy to quickly add and overwrite bits and pieces of a loop until you come up with something interesting. It's great for beginners. I haven't been able to find any way to do this in Gadget, but it seems it should be possible on an instrument by instrument basis. Is it? If not, is it likely we will ever see this feature?

Thanks in advance!

What you can do is use the undo button. Turn the recorder on, play a few bars, undo, play again with a better variation, undo and repeat until you get it right.

• edited July 2017

Guess what, there is a way. @robosardine and everyone else. It requires Beatonal (3 bucks). So Beatonal can overwrite patterns in this fashion, the only problem is it behaves like a mono synth and blends the notes rather than replace them. However, level aka volume/velocity can be set to be controlled on the y axis of the playing surface. So set it that way and when you play, hold down one note at the very bottom at zero velocity and play everything else over it. Boom note replace with no more blended notes and pitch bends! Now, you can send this midi to Gadget and get the same results there. Make sure you toggle on "velocity" in Beatonals settings so the held note(s) will get recorded at zero velocity in Gadget. And Beatonal instrument should be kept in default monophonic mode. Just tried this, works really well. Also Gadget has to be in the advanced midi setting .

Also you want to be in free play mode in Beatonal. That's what this is for.