Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MODSTEP

Comments

• @kinkujin said:

@echoopera said:

@kinkujin said:
    I have it on my ipad 2 and it still works fab. I'm finding that it's "thing" just works for me. Need to spend more time with it.

Stupid question: Can you record audio in it (eg. external audio)? If so, that could be a one -stop-shop on ios.

Not yet. They showed off a demo on instagram/twitter sometime early last year...but seems they've been consumed with support for Touchable at the moment...hopefully we see the Audio support soon :)

Ah ok. Thanks.

It does have a sampler, a la Bilbao in Gadget.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@kinkujin said:

@echoopera said:

@kinkujin said:
    I have it on my ipad 2 and it still works fab. I'm finding that it's "thing" just works for me. Need to spend more time with it.

Stupid question: Can you record audio in it (eg. external audio)? If so, that could be a one -stop-shop on ios.

Not yet. They showed off a demo on instagram/twitter sometime early last year...but seems they've been consumed with support for Touchable at the moment...hopefully we see the Audio support soon :)

Ah ok. Thanks.

It does make me wonder why they didn't add sample support for the synth that it's also got built-in?

• Oh man. That’s right. Just tried it with a 25 second sample and boom. It works.

I love this app.

• That's pretty slick! Thank you @ExAsperis99 !

• @Samu said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@kinkujin said:

@echoopera said:

@kinkujin said:

Ah ok. Thanks.

It does make me wonder why they didn't add sample support for the synth that it's also got built-in?

Wouldn't that be in the session folder? Check the first video around 4:25. But I just realized that you can also resample Elastic Drums, for instance, or Animoog if you used it in a session??

• Loaded up a bunch of samples into Modstep and messed around...quite fun and dissonant :)

I hope with the update that they provide Files access so you don't have to connect it to iTunes to transfer files.

• @echoopera
    That’s so cool. Are there choke groups? Can you automate the pitch, etc?

• @kinkujin said:

@echoopera said:
    Loaded up a bunch of samples into Modstep and messed around...quite fun and dissonant :)
    I hope with the update that they provide Files access so you don't have to connect it to iTunes to transfer files.

:smiley:
    "AS Import" in the sample browser means import from AudioShare.
    No iTunes needed.

• @rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:

@echoopera said:
    Loaded up a bunch of samples into Modstep and messed around...quite fun and dissonant :)

No iTunes needed.

Yes, and it’s awesome. Finally sussed it last night.

• @rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:

@echoopera said:

No iTunes needed.

Yep. But it’s buggy at the moment and doesn’t always work for me 🤫🤨

• edited July 2019

This app was last updated in July 2017, two years ago. The tweeted audio clip feature never materialized. Support questions regarding current bugs have been met with silence, and there is no Modstep discussion or response on their forum. All the signs are there that this app has been abandoned, unfortunately. Or that it's left in its present state is perhaps a more correct description (given its current usability).

• I don’t think it’s abandoned, paused yes , maybe the devs should launch a separate v2 version with a “ bundle upgrade “ .

• I think it’s amazing. The sampler comes loaded with drum kits and one shots and synth emulations that I had completely forgotten about until this thread reminded me. I’m glad I have Modstep. But I wouldn’t buy it for the first time right now.

• Maybe it's related to sodaDj fail (I'm huge fan of their djing approach but it seems never get the sweet spot for market) so maybe they are studying how to improve their strategy... or just too busy with touchable.

• @echoopera said:

@rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:

@echoopera said:

No iTunes needed.

How so, if I may ask? Just wondering if my finally getting it last night and the "aha" moment were something unpredictable.

• I’m pretty sure I saw one of the developers say on here that they’re working on Modstep now. They just had to finish working on Touchable first

• Wow it actually worked great! Had to import on file at a time though from AudioShare. Imported my Cubasis Alive kit into ModStep! For those that don’t know how to yet, You just have to be in the sampler page; then from there you’ll see the sampler pads and on the top right side of screen right under the settings button, look for the AS Import button. It’ll open open up AudioShare and let you load your samples!

@echoopera said:

@rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:

@echoopera said:

No iTunes needed.

• Batch importing would be a gift.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Wow it actually worked great! Had to import on file at a time though from AudioShare. Imported my Cubasis Alive kit into ModStep! For those that don’t know how to yet, You just have to be in the sampler page; then from there you’ll see the sampler pads and on the top right side of screen right under the settings button, look for the AS Import button. It’ll open open up AudioShare and let you load your samples!

@echoopera said:

@rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:

@echoopera said:

No iTunes needed.

Ahh. I was missing that step. Thanks for that.

• @kinkujin said:

@echoopera said:

@rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:

@echoopera said:

No iTunes needed.

How so, if I may ask? Just wondering if my finally getting it last night and the "aha" moment were something unpredictable.

I was wrong. I was doing it from the midi import flow 🤨🤪

• ok thanks.

• Me too🤓😂😳

@echoopera said:

@kinkujin said:

@echoopera said:

@rs2000 said:

@kinkujin said:

@echoopera said:

No iTunes needed.

I was wrong. I was doing it from the midi import flow 🤨🤪

• Touchable pro is still getting some beta updates so looks like they are still tinkering with that, hopefully Modstep is next.... :)

• Yeah this app got to a sweet spot and hasn’t had any issues for a long time. Some of the most enduring quality available on iOS.

• edited July 2019

@OscarSouth said:
    Yeah this app got to a sweet spot and hasn’t had any issues for a long time. Some of the most enduring quality available on iOS.

Yep. It’s one of those sleeper apps imho. It was really 5 years ahead of its time. It’s the perfect app for all the modular and hardware Renaissance we’re experiencing now with iOS integration. Just a few optimizations and a couple modern updates and we’re in a golden age of midi bliss with MODSTEP. 🤨😬

• Does anyone suffer stuck notes while in playback? I’ve recorded a 4 bar loop and during playback - sometimes 2nd or 3rd playback notes hang, and gather and I have to hit panic.

I’ve tried restarting, using a different au instrument, re-recording the loop with different articulation (to see if it was getting ‘stuck’ on held notes). Sort of frustrating.

• ^ anyone? thx

• No sorry I have not had that problem. Maybe do some midi monitoring to see if the note offs are getting lost somehow.

• edited July 2019

Hmmm, @Multicellular how would one go about that? Is there a midi monitor app?

• I would wonder if there are any included in other apps you have, does Audiobus have one? AUM? I don't know.
    I use Streambyter for some other reasons and it has one.