Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MODSTEP

Comments

• @bleep said:
    Never heard of that forum before, and kind of hard to find it - no link from modstep.net or zerodebug.com. But it was found in the end, only to see that the Modstep category had 0 posts ...

Anyway, they did write this in the forum on Oct'18:

We are currently working on an update for Modstep. Once finished it will be combination of touchAble and the current Version of Modstep (+audioclips and a lot more new features)

Yeah, worth a few people posting in there, I reckon they'll answer in the forum more quickly than by emails. I'm on the beta of the old Modstep v1 and Touchable Pro. But I haven't seen any new Modstep betas for v2 yet unless I'm not on the list for that. But more likely there isn't a v2 beta out just yet.

• Can anyone confirm the modwheel/pitch issue with modstep and AUM AUs?

• @Jokerpack said:
    Can anyone confirm the modwheel/pitch issue with modstep and AUM AUs?

I had a setup several months ago where I was trying to use my old iPad 2 and some Volcas. I definitely remember were a few instances where I was sending MIDI to internal synths that as soon as I tried pitch bending to internal It got really messed up. I can’t remember the exact issue, but I think I would pitch bend and then all MIDI stopped. I blamed it on being an old iPad back then.

• @WillieNegus said:
    I like modstep...Stagelight has me not so motivated to revisit it though. Perhaps a new version will compell me. My guess is by then, Stagelight will be leap years further down the yellow brick road plus it platform agnostic.

Agreed..

• edited June 2019

@DMan said:

@Jokerpack said:
    Can anyone confirm the modwheel/pitch issue with modstep and AUM AUs?

I had a setup several months ago where I was trying to use my old iPad 2 and some Volcas. I definitely remember were a few instances where I was sending MIDI to internal synths that as soon as I tried pitch bending to internal It got really messed up. I can’t remember the exact issue, but I think I would pitch bend and then all MIDI stopped. I blamed it on being an old iPad back then.

Good to know i am not alone.
    I saw in the Modstep 1.3 release notes an issue with modwheel and pitch had been solved:
    "What's new in modstep v1.3.0:

• added full Audiobus 3 compatibility for MIDI and audio
    • fixed several smaller layout issues
      - fixed an issue that could cause Pitchbend and Modwheel assignments to be converted into unusable MIDI CCs"

However the issue is still there ..

• @Jokerpack said:

Good to know i am not alone.
    I saw in the Modstep 1.3 release notes an issue with modwheel and pitch had been solved:
    "What's new in modstep v1.3.0:

• added full Audiobus 3 compatibility for MIDI and audio
    • fixed several smaller layout issues
      - fixed an issue that could cause Pitchbend and Modwheel assignments to be converted into unusable MIDI CCs"

However the issue is still there ..

Yeah, that is definitely what was happening. I found some audio from the jam, but I cut it off as soon as I started pitch bending the internal synth. I think it was KQDixie. Now that you mention the CCs that was definitely it. It altered the sound into an unusable state as soon as I did pitch bend. Unfortunately, I don’t really use ModStep that much, so I won’t really have time compile some circumstance and evidence to send to their support team.

This was also after that update for sure. It was last fall. On an iPad 2, which I had recently done a factory restore on, so I’m 100% sure it had the latest update.

• A couple of related ModStep questions.

Question 1

If you have entered notes when piano roll was in drum mode, is there any way to get those notes to be visible in melody mode. I accidentally created some patterns when drum mode was turned on not realizing that switching to melody mode would make those already-entered note unavailable. It seems that for each pattern, the drum mode notes and melody notes are held in different buffers and only one is available at a time.

Question 2

Is there anyway in the drum mode to change the note range? When in drum mode it shows the octave as octaves 7-8 but my notes are mapped to a different octave range on the sampler (ReSlice) that has the notes.

• @espiegel123 said:
    A couple of related ModStep questions.

Question 1

If you have entered notes when piano roll was in drum mode, is there any way to get those notes to be visible in melody mode. I accidentally created some patterns when drum mode was turned on not realizing that switching to melody mode would make those already-entered note unavailable. It seems that for each pattern, the drum mode notes and melody notes are held in different buffers and only one is available at a time.

Question 2

Is there anyway in the drum mode to change the note range? When in drum mode it shows the octave as octaves 7-8 but my notes are mapped to a different octave range on the sampler (ReSlice) that has the notes.

Q1 IF I remember correctly, worth a try anyway, I think I solved that by exporting and then importing the midi.
    Q2 Could never figure it out, I just do everything in melody mode. Basically my habit from other sequencers that never differentiated anyway.

• @Multicellular said:

@espiegel123 said:

Question 1

Question 2

Q1 IF I remember correctly, worth a try anyway, I think I solved that by exporting and then importing the midi.
    Q2 Could never figure it out, I just do everything in melody mode. Basically my habit from other sequencers that never differentiated anyway.

Q1 - yes, you can select the clip in the session view and export the MIDI, then in the File Browser load the MIDI. Note that you need to Export MIDI, not just Export the clip.

If you just Export, when you reimport it will retain the separation of Melody notes and Drum notes. Of course, since Exporting the MIDI erases the separation, if you have notes in both, when you import the .mid it will have Melody and Drum notes combined into a nice mess.

Q2- actually it's very easy to do, just somewhat non-intuitive. The octave range for the drum notes on the Piano Roll page is set on the Step Sequencer page... yeah.

Note, there's a bug/quirk in the display of the notes on the Piano Roll: when you change that octave selection, the change is reflected in the notes actually played, but the names on the side of the piano roll will still show the old octave. It updates only after you toggle between Melody and Drum modes.

• @aplourde said:

@Multicellular said:

@espiegel123 said:

Question 1

Question 2

Q1 - yes, you can select the clip in the session view and export the MIDI, then in the File Browser load the MIDI. Note that you need to Export MIDI, not just Export the clip.

If you just Export, when you reimport it will retain the separation of Melody notes and Drum notes. Of course, since Exporting the MIDI erases the separation, if you have notes in both, when you import the .mid it will have Melody and Drum notes combined into a nice mess.

Q2- actually it's very easy to do, just somewhat non-intuitive. The octave range for the drum notes on the Piano Roll page is set on the Step Sequencer page... yeah.

Note, there's a bug/quirk in the display of the notes on the Piano Roll: when you change that octave selection, the change is reflected in the notes actually played, but the names on the side of the piano roll will still show the old octave. It updates only after you toggle between Melody and Drum modes.

Thanks. Would never have figured that out on my own.

• edited July 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@aplourde said:

@Multicellular said:

@espiegel123 said:

Question 1

Question 2

Modstep is really a great app. I hope they update it before ios13 because the time is ripe for users who need a great midi sequencer.

Xequence 2 just arrived and is wonderful, but i just have a sweet spot for Modstep cause it’s where i earned my beginners midi routing badge. Be sure to watch all the great tutorials here:

• @echoopera : any reason that it needs to be updated before iOS 13? I'd love to see an update, too. But I don't have any reason to believe that it will behave differently know than in iOS 13.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @echoopera : any reason that it needs to be updated before iOS 13? I'd love to see an update, too. But I don't have any reason to believe that it will behave differently know than in iOS 13.

Just want it to be shown the love it deserves and maybe add a few things to the app 🤪

• @espiegel123 said:

One thing to note is that exporting and importing clips and MIDI affects CC data.

If you do a clip export / import you will lose all CC data.

If you do a MIDI export / import you will get CC data, but it's been modified. Instead of interpolating between the exported points, an additional point is added before the change in value. So a sine-like curve is now a stepped sine and a two point slope is now a three point step.

Here's a video I made showing the issue to try to get the devs to fix it. They said they couldn't replicate the issue, but it's how it works on my system without fail:

0:00 - showing the CC data in the source clip (a sine-like wave in CC 1, a two point slope in CC 2)
    0:08 - clip with CC data is exported
    0:16 - clip is imported into another track (but it's the same if imported to a different scene of the same track or replacing the existing clip)
    0:23 - CC data is missing. Since no controls have been assigned to this channel, I add the assignments, but it's still missing any data.
    0:35 - switching back to the original clip to compare.

0:49 - now I'm exporting MIDI
    0:59 - importing that MIDI
    1:02 - going into the imported clip you can see that there is CC data, but it's been modified. Instead of interpolating between the exported points, an additional point is added before the change in value. So the sine-like curve is now a stepped sine and the two point slope is now a three point step.

At 1:28 I'm showing an issue that has been resolved. At the time you could not delete an exported clip without resorting to something like iFunBox. However, the funky name mangling seen at 1:34 still exists.

• edited July 2019

@aplourde said:

@espiegel123 said:

One thing to note is that exporting and importing clips and MIDI affects CC data.

If you do a clip export / import you will lose all CC data.

If you do a MIDI export / import you will get CC data, but it's been modified. Instead of interpolating between the exported points, an additional point is added before the change in value. So a sine-like curve is now a stepped sine and a two point slope is now a three point step.

Here's a video I made showing the issue to try to get the devs to fix it. They said they couldn't replicate the issue, but it's how it works on my system without fail:

0:00 - showing the CC data in the source clip (a sine-like wave in CC 1, a two point slope in CC 2)
    0:08 - clip with CC data is exported
    0:16 - clip is imported into another track (but it's the same if imported to a different scene of the same track or replacing the existing clip)
    0:23 - CC data is missing. Since no controls have been assigned to this channel, I add the assignments, but it's still missing any data.
    0:35 - switching back to the original clip to compare.

0:49 - now I'm exporting MIDI
    0:59 - importing that MIDI
    1:02 - going into the imported clip you can see that there is CC data, but it's been modified. Instead of interpolating between the exported points, an additional point is added before the change in value. So the sine-like curve is now a stepped sine and the two point slope is now a three point step.

At 1:28 I'm showing an issue that has been resolved. At the time you could not delete an exported clip without resorting to something like iFunBox. However, the funky name mangling seen at 1:34 still exists.

Lol, Modstep crashed first time I tried importing a clip! All the issues confirmed

• edited July 2019

sorry, had to pull preset, modstep didn’t display project 🥴

• @echoopera said:
    This thread rekindled my love for this app. Here’s a little scene to unpack and enjoy...it uses some of my favorite instruments and effects:
    http://preset.audiob.us/a1PWVDEWynqHKJS

I am trying to use this but the modstep project didn't load, it just opened my last session... Any idea?
    Also I messaged you in Instagram haha

• @echoopera said:
    This thread rekindled my love for this app. Here’s a little scene to unpack and enjoy...it uses some of my favorite instruments and effects:
    http://preset.audiob.us/a1PWVDEWynqHKJS

Is there a modstep project to go with this. Modstep doesn’t support AB state saving. So the modstep project isn’t stored in the AB preset.

• Yeah, wish it had statesaving , AU Modstep would be a fine thing. Modstep 3 maybe? Fingers crossed. :)

• edited July 2019

Crud...lemme pull it...can’t export the modstep project on iOS 😳🥺
    Here’s what i set up:

• Just upgrade to a mini 5 and decided to dig in with Modstep. Running 12.3.1

I understand that I should host my IAA synths in AUM but no matter how I route things the processor usage goes through the roof in AUM. Am I doing something wrong or is modstep / AUM relationship broken ?

If I try routing directly from modstep to AUM ports 1 to 8 , those ports show up in AUM midi routing but all midi from modstep tracks goes simply to a single AUM destination port . Audio crackles even just using that single destination port.

The only way I can separate the midi streams is by routing via AB 3. But still the processor goes through the roof, even with a single IAA instance .

I restart the iPad before each session and clear the RAM. I’ve deleted and reinstalled both AUM and Modstep. Same story.

Any ideas or is something broken ?

Thanks

• edited July 2019

Not really sure. I only use AUv3 apps on iOS when using Modstep.

• @zeropoint said:
    Just upgrade to a mini 5 and decided to dig in with Modstep. Running 12.3.1

I understand that I should host my IAA synths in AUM but no matter how I route things the processor usage goes through the roof in AUM. Am I doing something wrong or is modstep / AUM relationship broken ?

If I try routing directly from modstep to AUM ports 1 to 8 , those ports show up in AUM midi routing but all midi from modstep tracks goes simply to a single AUM destination port . Audio crackles even just using that single destination port.

The only way I can separate the midi streams is by routing via AB 3. But still the processor goes through the roof, even with a single IAA instance .

I restart the iPad before each session and clear the RAM. I’ve deleted and reinstalled both AUM and Modstep. Same story.

Any ideas or is something broken ?

Thanks

Which apps? All IAA are not the same . So knowing the particulars may be relevant.

• Ok, thanks guys. Looks like it was my misunderstanding the AUM ports in Modstep’s browser. I’ve now ignored them and just set the midi IO to AUM in each modstep channel ....all working now.

• Great to hear. Enjoy 👊🏼™️

• Just chiming in modstep love here. Was jamming out on it all afternoon, playing in MIDI from hardware controllers and building up clips. What a fantastic app!

• Few days ago I've tried it with my hardware and DAWs: Studio One, Reaper. Great thing.

• I have it on my ipad 2 and it still works fab. I'm finding that it's "thing" just works for me. Need to spend more time with it.

Stupid question: Can you record audio in it (eg. external audio)? If so, that could be a one -stop-shop on ios.

• edited July 2019

@kinkujin said:
    I have it on my ipad 2 and it still works fab. I'm finding that it's "thing" just works for me. Need to spend more time with it.

Stupid question: Can you record audio in it (eg. external audio)? If so, that could be a one -stop-shop on ios.

Not yet. They showed off a demo on instagram/twitter sometime early last year...but seems they've been consumed with support for Touchable at the moment...hopefully we see the Audio support soon :)

• @echoopera said:

@kinkujin said:
    I have it on my ipad 2 and it still works fab. I'm finding that it's "thing" just works for me. Need to spend more time with it.

Not yet. They showed off a demo on instagram/twitter sometime early last year...but seems they've been consumed with support for Touchable at the moment...hopefully we see the Audio support soon :)

Ah ok. Thanks.