Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MODSTEP

Comments

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Turntablist said:
    yeah they posted a video of it triggering audio clips months ago, then nothing more after, not a developer i place much faith in for updates, very very slow, I suspect there is an amazing beta of this floating about, but im not holding my breath for the update.

Now that Touchable Pro is live they probably will turn their attention back to the next modstep

Dev said this in a Touchable thread.

• Launchpad etc already launch audio clips, yes Modstep is a bit more advanced but still, Ableton on IOS is a bit extreme.

• Never had Modstep crash on me that I can recall but I just use it for midi sequencing and not hosting. As mentioned before the only problem I have/had with Modstep really is that for the life of me I cannot send to multiple channels on the same virtual midi port. Now I just work around it by making new virtual midi ports in Studiomux and just using them in Modstep. So Channel 1 for everyone I guess.

Speaking of Studiomux I am having quite a decent run with it now too. I have the day off and am going to really kick the tires on how to make it work for the commute with quick tear downs and set ups of iPad->Lightning->Laptop then back to hardware midi etc.

• @Multicellular said:

Samu, can I bother you to tell me how much you've used Modstep in iOS12? And if youve been using it hosting AUs? I’ve been reluctant to upgrade to 12 since Ive not heard from many people. And it is a crucial component for my duo.

At least a couple of hours while I was going thru all my AUv3's to check if they crash or fail and I didn't have a single crash.

I do not like running multiple apps at once or do app switching so I was only running ModSTEP while testing this and I expected it to bail at some point but it didn't...

I didn't provoke it too much by trying to load crazy amount of instances of heavy AUv3's like Model D or Model 15 etc). My Air 2 has limited amount or RAM and CPU resources anyways so I do not expect miracles and my gut usually tells me when enough is enough to avoid hickups.

Since I'm not a 'live player' I usually keep my buffer settings on the high side (256 or above when possible).

Over all I'm happy with iOS12 and have not bumped into any show stoppers.
    (iOS12.1 should drop when the iPhone Xr is publicly available, which is in a couple of weeks or so).

If there was severe issues with iOS12 I think Doug would have already made a video about it...

• edited October 2018

@Turntablist said:
    yeah they posted a video of it triggering audio clips months ago, then nothing more after, not a developer i place much faith in for updates, very very slow, I suspect there is an amazing beta of this floating about, but im not holding my breath for the update.

Actually, the dev is quite productive if you think about how Soda and Touchable have been released in last 6 months. Can't blame chasing the good $$$ (and I suspect DJ apps are worth more $$$).

• @Samu said:

@Multicellular said:

Samu, can I bother you to tell me how much you've used Modstep in iOS12? And if youve been using it hosting AUs? I’ve been reluctant to upgrade to 12 since Ive not heard from many people. And it is a crucial component for my duo.

At least a couple of hours while I was going thru all my AUv3's to check if they crash or fail and I didn't have a single crash.

I do not like running multiple apps at once or do app switching so I was only running ModSTEP while testing this and I expected it to bail at some point but it didn't...

I didn't provoke it too much by trying to load crazy amount of instances of heavy AUv3's like Model D or Model 15 etc). My Air 2 has limited amount or RAM and CPU resources anyways so I do not expect miracles and my gut usually tells me when enough is enough to avoid hickups.

Since I'm not a 'live player' I usually keep my buffer settings on the high side (256 or above when possible).

Over all I'm happy with iOS12 and have not bumped into any show stoppers.
    (iOS12.1 should drop when the iPhone Xr is publicly available, which is in a couple of weeks or so).

If there was severe issues with iOS12 I think Doug would have already made a video about it...

I appreciate your info.

• edited October 2018

@Turntablist said:
    More likely they start updating Soda again, DJ apps have a big following on iPhone.

Haha we wish. We've spent more on soda than we earned :) but it's alright - it had great value for us to get it done.
    Modstep is next on our list !
    very happy to hear that some of you are digging into it again at the moment.

• @cblomert said:

@Turntablist said:
    More likely they start updating Soda again, DJ apps have a big following on iPhone.

Haha we wish. We've spent more on soda than we earned :) but it's alright - it had great value for us to get it done.

Great to hear from you.
    Care to offer a completely non-binding timeline for the next Modstep update? Looking for any new beta testers?

• @cblomert said:

Re-installed it again last night, seems a lot less daunting this time around. Looking forward to seeing where you go with it. :)
    Oh....& many thanks for the mighty Studiomux!!!!!!!!!

• @cblomert said:

@Turntablist said:

Modstep has been and is one of the best DAWS on iOS for the way i work and play. Looking forward to see where it goes.

For my workflow all i want to see is:
    . PerStep probability of note playback
    . Per Sequence Randomization of notes
    . MPE Support
    . Audio Loops
    . Full Roli Blocks support

Nice to haves
    . Native ARP
    . Chord Library
    . Chord mode in keyboard control

I am sure there are others, but these are just top of list for me.

Keep up the great work 👊🏼👊🏼

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @cblomert
    Modstep is back 😁 love it, using 3 of them simultaneously !

Would love to beta test !

• @AudioGus said:
    Never had Modstep crash on me that I can recall but I just use it for midi sequencing and not hosting.

Same. It's cool the ModStep supports hosting and all but it's a minefield in my experience. When I use it, I host instruments in AB or AUM and use modstep purely as a MIDI sequencer. Absolutely stable.

Indeed, considering how many dev hours they must have poured into dealing with random AUv3 issues, I kinda hope Modstep 2 drops support for AU/IAA hosting entirely so that they can spend their limited development time on fun stuff.

• @crony said:
    @cblomert
    Modstep is back 😁 love it, using 3 of them simultaneously !

Would love to beta test !

Holy 4 ipads!

• modstep cannot crash :)

Not, when just using MIDI ;)

From my point of view, adding Audio to modstep was the only mistake done.
    But as i read, this is mostly for hosted IAA Apps?

• Would love to see an AB3--->Modstep--->AUM setup, like the ones for Xeq that have been floating around.

• edited October 2018

@tja said:
    modstep cannot crash :)

+1 to all this :) I'm using the sampler of BM3 driven by midi with Modstep.
    All synths and BM3 are "audio adjusted" using AUM.
    Far more powerful omho...

Also lack of documentation for advanced tricks, and support is a pain in the ass.

@syrupcore yep, and here's my new "baby", received today, to drive all of them...
    http://www.faderfox.de/pc12.html

• @crony said:

@tja said:
    modstep cannot crash :)

+1 to all this :) I'm using the sampler of BM3 driven by midi with Modstep.
    All synths and BM3 are "audio adjusted" using AUM.
    Far more powerful omho...

@syrupcore yep, and here's my new "baby", received today, to drive all of them...
    http://www.faderfox.de/pc12.html

How are you driving the BM3 sampler in Modstep? That's my dream. Or in Xequence.

• edited October 2018

@ExAsperis99 very simple, create a sampler in BM3, assign a midi channel to receive notes. Put your samples on the notes into BM3, go to Modstep, create a track, connect the midi out to BM3 with the right midi channel, play the keyboard from Modstep, you should hear BM3's samples, then record your midi in Modstep, done :)
    As I'm using AUM, I might pass the midi from Modstep to AUM then to BM3, can't remember right now, but it's working perfectly fine !

• @cblomert said:

Thanks for looking into Modstep again, it's a classic. :)
    Agree with earlier comment about adding probability per step on sequencer.
    Please consider also adding an AUv3 extension. Would be even more perfect if you could host it in AUM + apeMatrix etc

• @chandroji said:

@kinkujin said:
    Why do this app rate so low on the App Store? Asking for a friend ...

The low rating in the AppStore prevented me to buy this Sequencer so far. Many people complain that Modstep can be quite unstable and a lot of bugs which are not fixed. The last update was one year ago.

In the german AppStore ModStep is rated with just 2.5 Stars and the app is quite costly.

I think I would like the concept behind ModStep but what do you think about stability and bugs in Modstep?

Well. It's pretty simple really. Use modstep purely for midi and it doesn't crash at all. It's original design was to be a midi sequencer. It only got unstable once they added support for hosting iaa and auv3 apps. But if you use modstep and tunnel it's midi to either audiobus3 or aum or even a combination of all 3 its super rock solid.

• @AudioGus said:
    Never had Modstep crash on me that I can recall but I just use it for midi sequencing and not hosting. As mentioned before the only problem I have/had with Modstep really is that for the life of me I cannot send to multiple channels on the same virtual midi port. Now I just work around it by making new virtual midi ports in Studiomux and just using them in Modstep. So Channel 1 for everyone I guess.

Speaking of Studiomux I am having quite a decent run with it now too. I have the day off and am going to really kick the tires on how to make it work for the commute with quick tear downs and set ups of iPad->Lightning->Laptop then back to hardware midi etc.

I send midi over multiple channels in a single port all the time. Can you send me some screenshots of your settings maybe ?

• @cblomert said:

@Turntablist said:

You guys know im the man you need to really test out complicated experments with midi and general tomfoolery in modstep. Hope you guys let me into the beta this time :)

• edited October 2018

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@cblomert said:

@Turntablist said:

You guys know im the man you need to really test out complicated experments with midi and general tomfoolery in modstep. Hope you guys let me into the beta this time :)

You might have more luck getting in touch with them here:

https://community.zerodebug.com/latest

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@AudioGus said:
    Never had Modstep crash on me that I can recall but I just use it for midi sequencing and not hosting. As mentioned before the only problem I have/had with Modstep really is that for the life of me I cannot send to multiple channels on the same virtual midi port. Now I just work around it by making new virtual midi ports in Studiomux and just using them in Modstep. So Channel 1 for everyone I guess.

I send midi over multiple channels in a single port all the time.

To hardware or virtual midi?

• @cblomert said:

@Turntablist said:

This is so depressing! I wish iOS development was more lucrative... hang in there. The situation might improve. Thank you for your fine apps!

• @cblomert said:

@Turntablist said:

Yes sadly Soda is not well regarded or even heard of in the wider DJ community, even sadder that is now down the list for updating.

• @cblomert good to hear from you. I think many of us are sat quietly in our boats waiting to put hooks back in the water...good luck!

• edited October 2018

@cblomert - Oi, get back to work, you ain't got time to go chatting on here :D
    Good to hear that Modstep is next for some love and attention, put me down for HiRes CC's to support my BassStation 2 properly .... Files app support would be handy too ;)