Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone using an Akai APC40 mk2 with iOS?

I found a deal locally for one of these a few minutes ago, and was about to reply, BUT... I know that they are designed to work with Ableton(which I don't use), but I figured the hardware would be great for ipad applications. The only problem is there's almost no information online about this subject. Even here on the audiobus forums I couldn't find much of anything with a search. It looks like it would work great with AUM, Modstep, Loopy... but no one is talking about using one. Anybody using one?

Comments

• http://pangolin.com/_Files/APC40Mk2_Communications_Protocol_v1.2.pdf

Akai Apc series was designed to work with Ableton live and were very popular when they were released being the first with dedicated remote scripting and relative clip control (red square, lights feedback...)
    Some users even improved the remote scripts adding sequencing or other useful things are midi notes from Apc20 into Apc40 and so but due these were unnoficial support finally discontinnued those motivated for the Ableton updates which broke the compatibility version after version.
    Meanwhile appeared other devices like Launchpad first and Push later with clear improvements (from rgb, sensible pads, dedicated iOS apps...) increasing the possibilities for users and also competitivity for controller market. That relegate Apc series to no-man-land aside Ableton (and even there) so users gone for Push and iOS users gone for novation launch series.
    Pricepoint didn't help neither.

So as I recomend my friends who ask me about this I will suggest you go for launchpad pro. The prices are side to side and it will work with launchpad app just plugging it into iPad.
    If you need the extra faders then go for launchcontrol xl.
    You can use it with other apps but look first if the app supports it with dedicated mapping. The time and effort to map it by yourself doesn't worth that effort against the instant gratification of plugnplay.
    If you are considering the possibility to "code" a step sequencer ala monome then just go for a Beatstep pro.

This is my humble opinion after years of messing with remote scripting in desktop (python required for custom templates) and midi mapping in iOS. Since I bought my launchkeys mk2 I start enjoying music production again and made me purchase a launchcontrol xl (and wonder about other novation/focusrite products) so it's clear dedicated apps with dedicated hardware are the way to go in iOS (class compliant and Apple restrictions for embed code for drivers make this a must most of the time).

I hope it helps to understand why these aren't so popular in iOS realm. I will love to see Apc users sharing their own experience and how they manage those lacks.

• @dubbylabby thanks for the input, its kind of what I expected to hear. It does look like it could be an amazing surface. Im sure with a lot of tinkering I could perhaps do something with it, but I think I'm going with my gut with the LaunchControl XL.

And yes Launchpad Pro...Its the best! I seriously couldn't live without mine... I'm thinking about getting a second one to run the LPapp on another device, while I use the other to switch MIDI instruments in scale mode... Now I need reliable MIDI looping, and everything will be perfect.

• Life is short, mate...

• Yes it is brother...
    The End is nigh...
    iPads aren't forever...
    But the salvation of the soul is eternity...

I just hope that iOS12 doesn't make you take the microchip to use it... :wink:

• Solar flame will erase electricity before :trollface:

• I know this is a really old thread but does anybody own an APC40? either version? Just curious about what midi it sends out, if any, when it is not hooked up to Ableton Live.

I have a few ideas for setups and these controllers seem to fit the bill. If they can be used standalone.