Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ravenscroft 275 Piano Glitches

Comments

• @Janosax said:
    Dubstation 2 updated with GUI opened still allow for crackle free Ravenscroft 275 playing. Cpu goes from 90% DS2 closed to 40% DS2 opened. This is as AU in AUM with 128 buffers played by Nanokey Studio in chord mode (easy scale).

Would you know if this solution works on other CPU Intensive apps like Moog model D?

• @Michael said:
    I'm a bit unclear on how Xequence works, but I took a crack at it and seem to be able to send MIDI to Ravenscroft without issue. Can you give me a walkthrough to create the problem you're having, or whatever, @tja? Save me some time trying to parse this thread ;-)

Can you copy this to the Xequence folder in the Files App?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2vg8m6of69fm4z/rctestx.xeq?dl=0
    or
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2vg8m6of69fm4z/rctestx.xeq?dl=1

It is most basic, just some MIDI to Ravenscroft Standalone.
    The crackles appear at bar 4, IIRC.

I noticed that they vanish, when no GUI is visible, neither Xequence nor Ravenscroft.

As they also vanish when for example Omnistat is visible, it may be related to the used library / technic to display a GUI.
    It reminds me of the former problems with Audulus.

• Thanks for that @tja! Yeah, it's just running outta CPU; went up to 98% on my iPad Air 2 with the Ravenscroft AU. Doesn't glitch with Model 15. Ravenscroft is just relatively heavy, I think. Anything I'm missing?

• @Michael said:
    Thanks for that @tja! Yeah, it's just running outta CPU; went up to 98% on my iPad Air 2 with the Ravenscroft AU. Doesn't glitch with Model 15. Ravenscroft is just relatively heavy, I think. Anything I'm missing?

The point is, that without a GUI visible, it behaves much better - I had it playing without crackles at all.

And, an absolute comparable Piano app from the same company, BeatHawk with Acoustic Grand, does not show any of those issue.

And lastly, it also behaved much better under iOS 10.

In summary, that thing is buggy and cannot even be used on a something as powerful as the iPad Pro 9.7 which has more CPU power than the first iPad Pro 12.9

This App needs some fixing and I hope that UVI will deliver!

• Right, yeah fair enough. That UI thing is an iOS bug, as far as I can tell, been plaguing us since about iOS 10. But agreed; it's a heavy app

• So now the Ravenscroft update has been our for a few days - has this problem been licked? For me I have tested the latest version on iPhone and the AU iPad plugin with Cubasis and so far I have not noticed any glitches or dropouts. I guess the jury is still out but I’m hopeful. Tell me if your experience differs.

Doug

• @Doug_ said:
    So now the Ravenscroft update has been our for a few days - has this problem been licked? For me I have tested the latest version on iPhone and the AU iPad plugin with Cubasis and so far I have not noticed any glitches or dropouts. I guess the jury is still out but I’m hopeful. Tell me if your experience differs.

Doug

There is no differences at all (with fast chords playing): works perfectly in GarageBand, audio crackes in standalone mode and in AUM but Dubstation 2 workaround still do the trick.

• In addition, my Ravenscroft 275 Piano presets went missing after the update. I have recreated my presets but they don't reappear after closing the app. Not good!

• edited October 2018

@Howard said:
    In addition, my Ravenscroft 275 Piano presets went missing after the update. I have recreated my presets but they don't reappear after closing the app. Not good!

Can confirm that presets creation is broken.

I just gave up with UVI and sending them some bug feedback after every single BH2/RS275 update. I think they just don’t know how to fix their apps issues. BH2 is still unreliable enough as an AU.

• I haven’t had any significant issues in GarageBand or standalone before or after the update. It’s a nice plugin, can’t lie.

• edited October 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:
    I haven’t had any significant issues in GarageBand or standalone before or after the update. It’s a nice plugin, can’t lie.

I use it in GarageBand all the time and I love it, that’s for sure. Too bad some of us have some glitches in some situations. Same with BeatHawk 2, I use it IAA most of the time cause this thing has some of best sounds packs on iOS, but too bad its AU version is unstable for lot of us.

• @Janosax said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    I haven’t had any significant issues in GarageBand or standalone before or after the update. It’s a nice plugin, can’t lie.

I use it in GarageBand all the time and I love it, that’s for sure. Too bad some of us have some glitches in some situations. Same with BeatHawk 2, I use it IAA most of the time cause this thing has some of best sounds packs on iOS, but too bad its AU version is unstable for lot of us.

I was very reluctant about getting it for that reason.

• Well, it appears that the recent update allows us to save presets again but it did not bring back my old presets. In addition, there doesn't appear to be a way to get presets from a backup and there still is no way to edit names or delete presets yet. Great sounding app but come on Ravenscroft, please add that basic functionality!

• I just downloaded version 1.1.3 which adds the ability to manage presets in iTunes or in Files.app. Excellent!

• @Howard said:
    Well, it appears that the recent update allows us to save presets again but it did not bring back my old presets. In addition, there doesn't appear to be a way to get presets from a backup and there still is no way to edit names or delete presets yet. Great sounding app but come on Ravenscroft, please add that basic functionality!

I don’t see how presets are important. You’ve got a few EQ knobs and reverb. It literally takes the same amount of mental effort and time to dial in the sound than to select a preset from a menu.

• Obviously you don't need presets for this app, @LucidMusicInc, but I find it useful. This is especially true since the knobs and the the velocity curve in the app shows the setting below the knob or curve so I always find my fat fingers in the way. Also, at times I change the presets remotely using an app like Onsong and find the PC command easier to send than all the other bits, assuming that EQ, velocity and the other elements can set remotely with MIDI without the PC command.

• edited January 2019

TBF UVI app UIs leave a lot to be desired.

• Sorry, but I still got glitches in Ravenscroft275...
    For a while the increasing of polyphony in the AUv3-mode made it better, but, today with just one instance of RC275 in Nanostudio 2 with imported massive and nice MIDI-file, the piano app make sounds not related to the real playing (noise)...

This wonderful piano app have has problem in some circumstances since release...
    Love the piano in Beathawk (that can be used as an AUv3 in NS2), but, the quality of the piano not near RC275 though...

• I have found that the glitching and crackling is different between devices, in my case iPhones. My iPhone SE runs Ravenscroft smoother than my iPhone 8...

When I use Ravenscroft as an AU in GarageBand I get Crackles on iPhone 8 but NOTHING on my iPhone SE.

I understood iOS 12.1.3 would make the CPU usage more efficient on newer devices (like iPad Pros), does anyone know if this also will include iPhone 8?

• I never have a problem with RC275 since I got a Pro2. There was some crackling on my iPad4, but no more. How is that?
    And, of course, the pedal sounds are now adjustabl. For me there is no better piano except for the non iOS variety with VSTs and the onboard Shigeru in my Kawai 11se.

• Turning Reverb off can help reducing the CPU load. Also the piano works well on its own but in a song with other synths you’re going to have issues. Keep it in mind.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I never have a problem with RC275 since I got a Pro2. There was some crackling on my iPad4, but no more. How is that?
    And, of course, the pedal sounds are now adjustabl. For me there is no better piano except for the non iOS variety with VSTs and the onboard Shigeru in my Kawai 11se.

I’ve got both iPad Pro 2nd generation (10.5” and 12.9”) and both have this issue with Ravenscroft275...

• What are your buffers set to, @ErrkaPetti? I generally play it as an AU under Audiobus 3 and set Audiobus to 256 and never have any issue with glitchiness. You might also try reducing poliphony and see if that helps.

• Actually RC275 seems to only offer me 256 as a buffer. Maybe @Howard has provided the key. I hope so.

• Yes, you should be able to find a way to get it to work without glitchiness, @LinearLineman. At some point I lowered my polyphony to 40 since I don't hold long sustaining notes over many other long sustaining notes and never notice any cutoff. I had lowered it in an earlier version of RC275 which was less stable but never found the need to move it back up. I generally have a number of apps open at a time on my 2018 iPad including, Ravenscroft Piano, Neo Soul Keys Studio, Galileo 2, Korg Module, Sampletank and MiMiX. Oh, and I also always have Module open and my chart app, Onsong, or perhaps a PDF reader and sometimes TB MIDI Stuff....again, all with no glitchiness. You can do it! :smiley:

• @Howard, maybe you can answer me this, since you mention Module....

When I open the Model D piano I get an audio input into Cubasis ( tho I use AB3, Cubasis doesn't list Gadget or Module for some reason) but my sustain pedal does not work with it. No prob with RC275. Any idea how to correct this?

• edited January 2019

I have no problem getting my sustain pedal to work with either app though I don't have Model D. Are you able to get the sustain pedal to work with Model D in standalone mode?

Also, while we're swerving off topic a bit @LinearLineman I'll ask...How do you like Model D?

• I thought the model D superior to the German inapp @Howard. Worth it next sale.
    Will have to try as standalone.

• running ipad pro. it was great until the last update. now it is extremely crackly. sure it’s some sort of weird bug. hopefully they fix it soon.

• I've moved to a 10.5 Pro and it's certainly less crackly than my Air 2 was, but still occasionally crackles, even with polyphony reduced to 40.