Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) - problem with latency and digital noise... SEEMS TO BE FIXED iOS 11.1 b2

Comments

• @Thelast27 said:
    Using BM3 last night for 2hrs with the global screen refresh capped at 60hz (heard BM3 caps this anyway).

Did the RAM wipe also but experienced latency problems throughout using samplr also. I also experience some glitches and the CPU loads went crazy at one point in BM3 where I had to close everything down and restart my iPad Pro 2.

I've personally lodged this problem, fingers crossed it gets fixed soon.

But, did you do as I said in the earlier post?

The SOLUTION for me is just this:

Clean the internal RAM (shut of/home button for five seconds)
    Start Beatmaker 3 with the audiocable plugged in (headphone/speaker system)
    Wait 10 seconds
    Unplug the cable for at least five seconds
    Replug the cable...

Enjoy

• Yep tried this exact solution but sadly didn't work for me.

• @Thelast27 said:
    Yep tried this exact solution but sadly didn't work for me.

This is disheartening :(

• edited August 2017

@Thelast27 said:

Hmmm...
    Perhaps one differents, I still drive the sceen refresh 120hz, and you had it to 60?

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

Hmmm...
    Perhaps one differents, I still drive the sceen refresh 120hz, and you had it to 60?

Hey ErrkaPetti, yep, also tried both refresh rates...

• @Thelast27 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

Hmmm...

Cancels preorder and waits

• I think I'm going to gamble whatever this is... it isn't a hardware issue. They're on sale at the moment, and I may go ahead and chance it with a 10.5 while I can still get $250-$300 for my Air2.

If I go ahead and pick up a new 10.5, what simple scenario should I set up to see if I've got this issue or not?

• edited August 2017

@skiphunt said:
    I think I'm going to gamble whatever this is... it isn't a hardware issue. They're on sale at the moment, and I may go ahead and chance it with a 10.5 while I can still get $250-$300 for my Air2.

If I go ahead and pick up a new 10.5, what simple scenario should I set up to see if I've got this issue or not?

Plug in headphones. Use Aum, modstep,beatmaker etc for an hour. See what happens.

• Am a bit late to this thread, but some thoughts.

The unplugging/replugging of headphones resets the audio system....this can be used in many iOS versions I believe...if you are using an interface...plug in headphones to the iPad and unplug and the audio will be reset...

I had an issue with songs randomly starting when I connected a pair of Bluetooth headphones....there is a setting somewhere, cannot remember where at the moment, that says when this device is connected do this action...and it was set to open the music player.

As for the refresh rates..cannot help here as I am not on a pro...luckily by the sounds of it.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@skiphunt said:
    I think I'm going to gamble whatever this is... it isn't a hardware issue. They're on sale at the moment, and I may go ahead and chance it with a 10.5 while I can still get $250-$300 for my Air2.

Plug in headphones. Use Aum, modstep,beatmaker etc for an hour. See what happens.

10.5 256GB - Early birthday present from my sweetie! :) It'll be a good while before I have time to get everything set up, restored, etc. but I'll "see what happens" and report back later.

• @Thelast27 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

Hmmm...

Hello!

I did a new test this evening...
    One intense hour of playing with Beathawk 2, with imported samples, much pad playing etc. etc...
    The sound 100% perfect. The latency spot on exactly (as it should be on the new 12.9” iPad Pro generation 2 (2017)...

But, the same app without the unplug/replug thing, it took less than ten minutes before the latency became around 100-150ms (approximately) and the digital crackles and noises would show up...

It works for me every single time, and, it’s strange that it’s not for you?

• Hi @ErrkaPetti Any chance you can update your original post with your 'Fix' so that we won't have page through to find it once the thread gets longer?

Cheers. :)

• edited August 2017

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

Hmmm...

Hello!

One intense hour of playing with Beathawk 2, with imported samples, much pad playing etc. etc...
    The sound 100% perfect. The latency spot on exactly (as it should be on the new 12.9” iPad Pro generation 2 (2017)...

But, the same app without the unplug/replug thing, it took less than ten minutes before the latency became around 100-150ms (approximately) and the digital crackles and noises would show up...

Hey ErrkaPetti,

Thanks for this, i'll try again over the weekend after completing yet another re-install.

What iOS are you using to get these results? Also, with your solution are you able to switch between apps successfully without any problems?

• finding this buglet is unpredictable. two days now and nothing..
    haven’t used bm3 with various au tho

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Hi @ErrkaPetti Any chance you can update your original post with your 'Fix' so that we won't have page through to find it once the thread gets longer?

Okidoki!

• @Thelast27 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

Hmmm...

Hello!

Hey ErrkaPetti,

Thanks for this, i'll try again over the weekend after completing yet another re-install.

What iOS are you using to get these results? Also, with your solution are you able to switch between apps successfully without any problems?

I have gone from 10.32 to 10.33 to iOS 11 beta 4, and, the problem is still there on every version...
    Sure, the latency decreases a little when I switched to 60hz screen redraw, but, it was still around 100ms before the crackles come and the latency became 5ms again...

What kind of apps do you use primarily? Perhaps I should test your setup?
    For me it’s been a lot Beatmaker 3 and Beathawk 2 since my new iPad Pro...
    Although I have 300 other music apps ;-)

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

Hmmm...

Hello!

Hey ErrkaPetti,

I have gone from 10.32 to 10.33 to iOS 11 beta 4, and, the problem is still there on every version...
    Sure, the latency decreases a little when I switched to 60hz screen redraw, but, it was still around 100ms before the crackles come and the latency became 5ms again...

Ha! Me too, way too many Apps and not enough time to use them all...

I actually first noticed the latency playing with Samplr - have you tried that yet?

• @Thelast27 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

Hmmm...

Hello!

Hey ErrkaPetti,

I actually first noticed the latency playing with Samplr - have you tried that yet?

Not a fan of Samplr, but I have it... I’ll test it and come back later for an announcement...

• edited August 2017

@Thelast27 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Thelast27 said:

Hmmm...

Hello!

Hey ErrkaPetti,

Did a 10-12 minute test with Samplr as a stand alone app with no fuss!

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    Hi @ErrkaPetti Any chance you can update your original post with your 'Fix' so that we won't have page through to find it once the thread gets longer?

Okidoki!

Cool, cheers!

Can I just clarify the first step "Clean the internal RAM (shut of/home button for five seconds)" is this just pressing the home button or in combo with another action?

ta :)

• edited August 2017

@SpookyZoo said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Okidoki!

Cool, cheers!

Can I just clarify the first step "Clean the internal RAM (shut of/home button for five seconds)" is this just pressing the home button or in combo with another action?

ta :)

Clean memory thing is a little quicker that a forced reboot (holding both home button and on/off button down until the Apple symbole coming up).

Clean memory is just:
    Press on/off button until the slider on/off is coming up
    Release the on/off button
    Now, hold home button in for at least five seconds until the homescreen returns...
    Tada!

• edited August 2017

The 12.9 arrived late yesterday. Haven't had a lot of time to experiment but can report thus far (in both 10.3.3 and 11 beta 3) that:

a) It has the problem :(

b) ErrkaPetti's solution works thus far :)

That is, the latency problem is dealt with. However, I have had some bursts of noise when adding samples to pads in BM3 and when adding and removing plugins.

• Just for the record I managed to get to second level support on the phone but all I was told was that if the problem was not fixed with a system restore then it was hardware that was at fault and I was at liberty to go to an Apple store/service centre (a 3 hour round trip for me) , or return it by post for a fix, replacement or refund.

What I really phoned for was to try to find out if they were looking at the feedback pages/bug reports and working on it but got no definite response - "yes, yes we take all feedback very seriously and act on it".

Their assumption appeared to be be that IOS is perfect, therefore from a fresh install/restore, everything should be working. If it is not then the hardware is faulty.

I told them I would bide my time for now and see what happens.

• @lnikj said:
    Just for the record I managed to get to second level support on the phone but all I was told was that if the problem was not fixed with a system restore then it was hardware that was at fault and I was at liberty to go to an Apple store/service centre (a 3 hour round trip for me) , or return it by post for a fix, replacement or refund.

What I really phoned for was to try to find out if they were looking at the feedback pages/bug reports and working on it but got no definite response - "yes, yes we take all feedback very seriously and act on it".

Their assumption appeared to be be that IOS is perfect, therefore from a fresh install/restore, everything should be working. If it is not then the hardware is faulty.

I told them I would bide my time for now and see what happens.

I need a spoonful.... iOS = Mary Poppins :*

• I played with my new 10.5 pro last night after getting it set up. Just to be sure I'm clear on what some of you are describing as the problem... are you describing sort of a lag or slightly slow responsiveness with the keyboard when you hit keys? I think I noticed that a little bit, but it could've been the attack setting on the app I was using.

I haven't noticed any clicking, pops, or audio noise of any kind yet.

Will keep playing. It seemed like the keyboard was a bit more responsive, if I reset memory and unplugged, etc. the headphones. However, that could just be my imagination influenced by this thread. Will continue to monitor though and report back if I see anything obvious.

So far, I haven't noticed anything at all that would inspire me to return it. Love the 10.5 size. Just right for me.

• If I drop a kit on the BM3 pads within 5 minutes there will be a noticeable delay between hitting the pad and the sound, which instantly disappears when I disconnect and reconnect the headphones.

• @lnikj said:
    If I drop a kit on the BM3 pads within 5 minutes there will be a noticeable delay between hitting the pad and the sound, which instantly disappears when I disconnect and reconnect the headphones.

I did notice some lag/latency when I was playing with the newly updated Dhalang MG app too, ie. with it's keyboard and touch play screen. I was going to report it to the dev, but noticed it went away after I reset memory. I'm not convinced unplugging/plugging the headphones did anything, but reset memory/restart did for sure.

There's likely something to this, but my fingers are still crossed when the public release of iOS11 drops, we'll see better memory management etc. I'm obviously not an iOS engineer, but it doesn't seem like a hardware issue to me.

• I can live with it I think. I really don't want to send it back. I am sitting here at the moment masking stuff in Photoshop running on Duet from my iMac with the Apple Pencil and that functionality is just excellent - the Cintiq I always wanted.

• @skiphunt said:
    I played with my new 10.5 pro last night after getting it set up. Just to be sure I'm clear on what some of you are describing as the problem... are you describing sort of a lag or slightly slow responsiveness with the keyboard when you hit keys? I think I noticed that a little bit, but it could've been the attack setting on the app I was using.

I haven't noticed any clicking, pops, or audio noise of any kind yet.

Will keep playing. It seemed like the keyboard was a bit more responsive, if I reset memory and unplugged, etc. the headphones. However, that could just be my imagination influenced by this thread. Will continue to monitor though and report back if I see anything obvious.

So far, I haven't noticed anything at all that would inspire me to return it. Love the 10.5 size. Just right for me.

Yup. The latency could apparently eventually render touch apps unplayable after several hrs With 100+ ms of latency. (You can perceive delay once it goes above 20ms)

• If this bug remains, my iPad will be returned, I want to use it live, that's not happening while this latency and sound degradation happens.