Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) - problem with latency and digital noise... SEEMS TO BE FIXED iOS 11.1 b2

Comments

• My 12.9 arrives on the 7th so it will be a different batch to some posters here; we will see. I have been agonising over what to do with it when it arrives but I expect I will keep it.

We don't know if it is hardware or software yet. The fact that people have had it with audio interfaces as well as the headphone port made me hope that it was software but if it was purely software then I don't see why the audio buffer wouldn't overload with bluetooth headphones as well.

If it is hardware then Apple will fix it, though that will require a return or visit to an authorised service provider (2 * 100 mile round trip for me unfortunately). They can be a bit tardy on admitting there is a problem though.

I am hoping that because Garageband is affected that this will put a rocket up their back end this time.

I don't perform live so I can probably live with pulling the headphone out every fifteen minutes if necessary.

• edited July 2017

I did notice that the latency problem seemed more serious when I was using my pro headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M50) compared to my Sony headphones (with built in microphone / smartphone button). Could be mistaken about this but it seemed so at the time.

Unlike other posters I was only experiencing a latency issue, I didn't get any serious audio degradation. I did get a few pops and crackles with BM3 but not as serious as other posters have described.

I bought the iPad Pro from a store in the UK last week, so I've got no idea how recently it was manufactured. Could be a new batch or could've been in the store for a couple of months.

• I noticed that when this strange buffer bug coming and become obvious you juste have to close and restart the app to go back at normal. Anyone else can confirm ? This make me think it's only a software/drivers issue.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@RustiK said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    The other day I was using Beatonal on iPad 9.7 Pro (2016) model via a Novation Audio Hub 2x4. The sound was only coming out in mono left ear not right! All the audio interface setting were correct. Yet when I unplugged the interface a plugged in a set of headphones the app went back to stereo. Not sure if was iOS 10.3.3 or the app or the iPad causing the problem or the interface but it all works fine with other music apps.

the audiohub has a strange issue with its headphone volume knob.specially once dust enters it. sometimes it mutes one side of the headphones. just twiddling the knob can fix it. its not an issue with the ipad. have had this issue happen for years now even with my desktop and its gotten worse over time so i'm used to it. will probably have to replace that knob eventually though.

Novation Audiohub?

How do you know it is the dust?

Just wondering?

I know cause my audiohub is literally dusty. Goa is a dusty place lol. Between sand from the beach and general dust it's torture on pots and faders over time.

Poor you ......................."I live by the beach on permanent vacation and my gear got sand in it" ......................wwwweeeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just fuckin' witcha.

That's my fave interface that I use.

Choose over my iConnect in fact.

You mean the far right knob on top?

That is causing crackling?

• edited July 2017

hashtag ............

Novation4life

• edited July 2017

@RustiK said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RustiK said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    The other day I was using Beatonal on iPad 9.7 Pro (2016) model via a Novation Audio Hub 2x4. The sound was only coming out in mono left ear not right! All the audio interface setting were correct. Yet when I unplugged the interface a plugged in a set of headphones the app went back to stereo. Not sure if was iOS 10.3.3 or the app or the iPad causing the problem or the interface but it all works fine with other music apps.

the audiohub has a strange issue with its headphone volume knob.specially once dust enters it. sometimes it mutes one side of the headphones. just twiddling the knob can fix it. its not an issue with the ipad. have had this issue happen for years now even with my desktop and its gotten worse over time so i'm used to it. will probably have to replace that knob eventually though.

Novation Audiohub?

Just wondering?

I know cause my audiohub is literally dusty. Goa is a dusty place lol. Between sand from the beach and general dust it's torture on pots and faders over time.

Poor you ......................."I live by the beach on permanent vacation and my gear got sand in it" ......................wwwweeeaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just fuckin' witcha.

Yep. If there is crackle or one side doesn't work just move it from 0-100%. Your sound will start working again. My volume control is so damaged it only gives sound at random areas like 30%, 70% etc. So I just keep it at 100% and adjust volume in Aum or Ableton.

Personally I prefer my iCA4+. My audiohub rarely sees use in cases where I don't wanna risk getting sand and dust in my Ica4+. And I don't live by the beach. It's 10 mins away D:
    Seriously though. Even living in a paradise gets old eventually. The internet is so unreliable here lol. And I just realised I haven't gone to the beach properly in months :open_mouth:

• Seriously though. Even living in a paradise gets old eventually. The internet is so unreliable here lol. And I just realised I haven't gone to the beach properly in months :open_mouth:

When I spent my only new year in Goa there was only one newly built western style hotel. I think that has changed now a bit. That was almost 35 years ago. Do they still have the (in)famous pigpen toilet facilities?

• Same problem here. iPad Pro 2 12.9 iOS 10.3.3

• edited July 2017

@lnikj said:

Seriously though. Even living in a paradise gets old eventually. The internet is so unreliable here lol. And I just realised I haven't gone to the beach properly in months :open_mouth:

When I spent my only new year in Goa there was only one newly built western style hotel. I think that has changed now a bit. That was almost 35 years ago. Do they still have the (in)famous pigpen toilet facilities?

We're a lot more cosmopolitan at this point. I think only the poor don't use a western toilet now. Also stuff like Netflix, YouTube etc is pretty common since literally even brick layers have Android phones. I haven't even seen a pigpen toilet in my lifetime and I'm 31 lol.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@lnikj said:

We're a lot more cosmopolitan at this point. I think only the poor don't use a western toilet now. Also stuff like Netflix, YouTube etc is pretty common since literally even brick layers have Android phones. I haven't even seen a pigpen toilet in my lifetime and I'm 31 lol.

Progress! Good to hear.

I could launch into my Goan pig stories routine now - it usually has people rolling around laughing - but it would be OT and probably get my banned as well :)

Back to the the point, I raised this on MacRumors but despite plenty of views (219 thus far) I only got one response from another victim thus far:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/audio-latency-problem-in-new-pros.2059027/

Just us audio geeks complaining it seems.

• had not noticed latency issues before, but i usually do timing specific things in gadget and export and only use auria for mixing and adding pads, etc.

saturday i was recording audio midi clocked by auria and had to add latency compensation of -1000 so that the recording would come in on the grid. this was with the korg volca kick running it's internal sequencer. no swing. auria buffer was 64 and then 128

• edited July 2017

EDIT

** removed - not relevant **

• Is anyone else apart from @Tarekith not noticing any of these problems.

• I would encourage all of you that are having the issue or are holding off on a purchase to make your voice heard on this apple communities thread.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8005718

• @knewspeak said:
    Is anyone else apart from @Tarekith not noticing any of these problems.

Me. I haven't experienced anything like this.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:

@knewspeak said:
    Is anyone else apart from @Tarekith not noticing any of these problems.

Me. I haven't experienced anything like this.

Thanks for replying, I take it you've tried to recreate the issue via headphones etc., BM3? Somewhere in your setup is a possible solution or answer, as to what the problem could be, even if it's just a temporary solution.

• Hello gals & pals out there!
    Good new here (for me at least)...

Now I have been testing and testing to isolate the problem with my increasing latency on my 2017 iPad Pro 12.9"...
    10 hours later I’m pretty convinced that it must be something iOS core software that bring this problem to the new generation iPad Pros...

I just finished a five (5) hour long session in Beatmaker 3, including Beathawk 2 as AUv3 And Korg Gadget as IAA - WITHOUT any kind of problem!!

The SOLUTION for me is just this:

Clean the internal RAM (shut of/home button for five seconds)
    Start Beatmaker 3 with the audiocable plugged in (headphone/speaker system)
    Wait 10 seconds
    Unplug the cable for at least five seconds
    Replug the cable
    Have fun for several hours without any problem!

I’ve tested this many many time since saturday, and it seems to be a 100% solution for my iPad Pro at least...

Before that, I’ve tested all kind of different headphones. The three I have with me on the vacation right now (that all causes this audio latency) is a pair of Koss for $40, a pair of Audio Technica for $150 and a pair of Sony for $300...

For you guys hesitating to buy a new iPad Pro, don’t... This software thing must have a near solution...

But, it’s strange that not Apple has seen this in Garageband? The same problem occurs there also...

So, for now I’m happy, and, I can easily live with this a little while more...

• @ErrkaPetti I believe your fix is working for me so far as well. Been playing latency free with Arturia Keystep on pro 10.5 for about an hour now on model 15 and beatstep seems to work fine for an hour as well. Just wanted to say that so far so good. This makes me confident there can be a fix in IOS and it is not a hardware issue.

• @trip96 said:
    @ErrkaPetti I believe your fix is working for me so far as well. Been playing latency free with Arturia Keystep on pro 10.5 for about an hour now on model 15 and beatstep seems to work fine for an hour as well. Just wanted to say that so far so good. This makes me confident there can be a fix in IOS and it is not a hardware issue.

Congrat on that!

• Great news on the workaround! Sounds a bizarre method but if it's working for more than one person then it's definitely good news. Shame I took mine back to the shop so I can't test it myself.

I'm sure Apple will be able to get a proper fix in if you can bypass the issue in this way.

• One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm a habitual restarter. Before I sit down for any planned iOS sessions, I tend to force close all open apps, shut down the iPad, then turn it on. I prefer that over the whole memory wipe hold the home button trick, which never really seemed to do anything. With the newer iPad the process takes like 30 seconds, so why not.

Anyway, not sure if that has anything to do with why I'm not seeing/hearing the same bugs as other people with the newer Pro's, but figured I'd throw it out there.

• edited July 2017

@Tarekith said:
    One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm a habitual restarter. Before I sit down for any planned iOS sessions, I tend to force close all open apps, shut down the iPad, then turn it on. I prefer that over the whole memory wipe hold the home button trick, which never really seemed to do anything. With the newer iPad the process takes like 30 seconds, so why not.

Anyway, not sure if that has anything to do with why I'm not seeing/hearing the same bugs as other people with the newer Pro's, but figured I'd throw it out there.

If you read this thread from the beginning you will certainly discover that this is the first thing we learn (reboot)...

But, for me the RAM-swipe seems to work just fine...

• Having the same problems as everyone else here! Not so much with latency (a bit of a problem in Garageband but nothing else so far) but mostly with static! It happens even if I'm only just using Audiobus and two other apps. I'm going to test it more tomorrow to see if unplugging the headphones helps.

• great find @ErrkaPetti ! at least a workaround and some confidence that it is software related. makes me much more confident buying a pro now.

• Hi everyone i was using samsung earplug while watching YouTube videos and guess what Siri keep popping randomly when touching or moving earplug cable. So i googled this issue and i found a ton of people complaining about their iPhone 6 jack ouf like in this thread : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6546098?start=0&tstart=0
    It seems apple never respond about that, and continue to equip their products with faulty jack out. I'm using iPad Pro 10.5. Anyone got this issue with it ?

• Can we have some more people verify this fix and respond?

• Some sort of memory leak ?

• Small update on my end. Been using the wipe RAM then load with headphone jack in, wait a bit, pull it out wait 5 seconds put it back in on BM3 with success still. Went into a ton of other audio apps like iSEM and Moog Model 15 then eventually to garage band where the latency returned. Had to pull out headphone jack and put it back in to clear the buffer hold up. Could be a memory leak for sure.

New notes: Been playing with K-mix audio interface for an hour or so right now with no lag or buffer problems no audio glitches or static, pops, hiss, crackles, or anything. I will continue to play with the audio interface to see if It eventually gives me grief but I did easily record 4 stereo channels (8 inputs) into BM3 without any issues so far. Again, it's early but I want to share info as fast as I get it.

• Using BM3 last night for 2hrs with the global screen refresh capped at 60hz (heard BM3 caps this anyway).

Did the RAM wipe also but experienced latency problems throughout using samplr also. I also experience some glitches and the CPU loads went crazy at one point in BM3 where I had to close everything down and restart my iPad Pro 2.

I've personally lodged this problem, fingers crossed it gets fixed soon.

• L> @RustiK said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@RustiK said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Novation Audiohub?

Just wondering?

Just fuckin' witcha.

The Novation Audiohub is great. I plug 3 x ANKER 4 port hubs into mine and can connect up to 12 x Midi Devices into the iPad in one go... with one lead!

Awesome! :)