Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) - problem with latency and digital noise... SEEMS TO BE FIXED iOS 11.1 b2

Comments

• @nick said:
    reducing frame rate should even work on iOS10 according to Apple

I'm sure, since it is the default OS and there was the obscure "motion sickness gate" :p

• @JMac said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    @brambos does the 2017 iPad have the same issues that the pros have ? Since it's an A9 processor as well was curious if it inherited the problems too. Might grab that now instead.

The problem is with this year's iPad pros which have the A10x processor.

I haven't heard any reports of the problem occurring in last year's iPad pros (which had the A9x)

This thing is a powerhouse. They will surely find a solution soon. Just let's be patient a while. It's been only one month it's out.

• edited July 2017

@Norbert said:

@JMac said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    @brambos does the 2017 iPad have the same issues that the pros have ? Since it's an A9 processor as well was curious if it inherited the problems too. Might grab that now instead.

The problem is with this year's iPad pros which have the A10x processor.

I haven't heard any reports of the problem occurring in last year's iPad pros (which had the A9x)

This thing is a powerhouse. They will surely find a solution soon. Just let's be patient a while. It's been only one month it's out.

I have a bad feeling it's a hardware issue. And hardware problems can't be fixed via software. Had a similar issue with one of my older i7 processor laptops. Was the first of it's kind. Had an issue when it went into power saving it either crashed or caused all sorts of issues. Pretty much almost the same thing happening here. They never fixed it via software. Had to rma it and get an actual replacement. I have no patience to go through all that with another device.

• hell of a lot of apps I’m not seeing this problem with..

• @crifytosp said:
    hell of a lot of apps I’m not seeing this problem with..

Are any of those apps audio apps ? IAA or Audiobus? Are you using an external audio interface ?

• Well I just took my IPad Pro 10.5 back to the shop for a full refund. Decided I didn't want to risk it if the latency is an unsolvable problem (and im still within the 2 week no quibble refund window!) I can always buy another one if Apple manages to solve the problem!

I wonder if it's worth us alerting some of the music tech blogs to this issue? Perhaps some more publicity will give Apple a kick up the arse to get it fixed asap?

• headphones on the 10.5 public beta 3. ton of audio stuff is broke though. AB AUM iM1 other issues than the buffer under run. guess everything’s a beta until after 11's released.

• Seems a very strange bug. Or is it cpu throttle of some kind?
    Still interested in a new iPad in the near future but i wouldn't have patience if i buy a device for mainly one thing and it won't handle it.
    But i also get weird things if i start an audiobus session or other apps sometimes and then plug-in my headphones or remove them and replug them on my iPhone 6S plus.
    As we also know the latency without headphones seems higher (i remember to post that here after i experienced it) after an update in the past which wasn't there at the beginning of iOS.
    No one beside Apple (if they even do) know what obscure or mysterious changes they make about their audio. We also know they don't always care to break stuff in favor of "more important" things.
    Time will tell......maybe.

• Apple saw the future 'headphone socket, nothing but trouble' do away with it. ;)

• This seems to be sort of random issue for me.
    Has anybody experienced this problem from just watching videos or listening to music?
    Only seems to happen when using music production apps for me.

Just opened impc pro, imported a drum break, chopped to pads, then when playing with the slices I had latency and started to get the crazy audio degradation.
    This time I just minimized Impc pro, opened my music and played a iTunes song I recently purchased. Music played fine. Closed music 30 seconds later and went back to iMPC. Now it's working smooth again, no unplugging headphones or closing down of iMPC pro app.

• edited July 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@guidinglight said:
    2017 12.9 here. Pretty sure it's the refresh rate and not the headphone jack as, whenever it happens, you can see the CPU meter in the BM3 settings also going to shit.

The first pro had similar issues when it first came out. Here's hoping it gets sorted soon.

Jajaja, true! (I dontt recall what the issue was) the Air 2 had issues as well that were fixed with iOS 8.3, in the air 2 case the issue was with the graphics.

• edited July 2017

@ruggedsmooth said:

This seems to be sort of random issue for me.
    Has anybody experienced this problem from just watching videos or listening to music?
    Only seems to happen when using music production apps for me.

Just opened impc pro, imported a drum break, chopped to pads, then when playing with the slices I had latency and started to get the crazy audio degradation.
    This time I just minimized Impc pro, opened my music and played a iTunes song I recently purchased. Music played fine. Closed music 30 seconds later and went back to iMPC. Now it's working smooth again, no unplugging headphones or closing down of iMPC pro app.

After a whole day on my vacation, sitting in the countryside of Sweden, long way into the forest in our summerhouse, I have much to tell you guys about this lantency problem...

I thought, WTF, let’s install iOS 11 beta 4 on my new iPad Pro 12.9’ (have it already on my old iPad Pro 12.9" and it working out very good).
    Thought I should have the answer: Will the intermittent latency problem vanish if I upgrade to iOS 11?
    NO!

Hmmm...

Another test: Shutting off the 120 hz screen draw option.
    What’s happen then?
    What I can say is that it got much better, but, it coming and going in a cycle of about 10-12 minute...
    And, the min/max larency got smaller, but not good in the max value...

So, it must be something else, although it getting better to shut the 120 hz thing off...

Before I shut this 120hz off I played with Beatmaker 3 and Garagebands drumpads for about 90 minutes, and, as @ruggedsmooth said earlier, first a latency spot on, and, after about 10 minutes the latency time increase to around 200ms (!) and after 12 minutes the sound begin to crackle (like a bitcrush) for 30 seconds, and, after that the sound gets perfect again and the latency is back on almost less then 5ms!

Deep breath here... This is getting my head crazy of confusion...

Garageband is also affected, so it’s not a Beatmaker 3 problem...

I will search and investigate further on this issue...

• edited July 2017

Hmmm... almost bought a 10.5 256GB yesterday... decided to sleep on it. Didn't know there were allegedly issues. Kind of hard to tell for sure with this thread. There's a handful who sound VERY concerned and put off. They're extra dramatic and ready to throw the baby out, while there do seem to be several here quietly saying they're not seeing any issues at all.

Are any of these potential problems reported by a few in this thread documented anywhere else for confirmation?

Also, I never buy the first run of any new product from any company. I always wait for the first units to be depleted while they get the manufacturing line quality control fine-tuned. Did those of you reporting problems, pre-order or buy immediately after they were available?

• edited July 2017

Interesting. Sure it is not a kind of temporary cpu throttle or even a ram issue?
    I had a similar issue after a mac update and apple couldn't help. Then i found out that there was a software (from apple) running always in the background one core close to 100% for some reason. It was an i-cloud thingie or so trying to connect with something which i turned off. Strange.
    Would be good if there is something like the activity monitor for iOS (maybe there is an app).

• edited July 2017

The more I hear, the more this sounds very much like a software issue, and should be resolved with updates. This is a new chip they have to write to, and so far they are blowing it, but it sounds fixable, once the bug is identified.

Any hardware experts care to paint a less rosy picture?

• @Cib that’s a likely explanation but who knows?

• @skiphunt said:
    Hmmm... almost bought a 10.5 256GB yesterday... decided to sleep on it. Didn't know there were allegedly issues. Kind of hard to tell for sure with this thread. There's a handful who sound VERY concerned and put off. They're extra dramatic and ready to throw the baby out, while there do seem to be several here quietly saying they're not seeing any issues at all.

Are any of these potential problems reported by a few in this thread documented anywhere else for confirmation?

Also, I never buy the first run of any new product from any company. I always wait for the first units to be depleted while they get the manufacturing line quality control fine-tuned. Did those of you reporting problems, pre-order or buy immediately after they were available?

My iPad Pro 12.9" is bought six days after sale launch... Could be one of the first 10000 they done first...

• @Cib said:
    Interesting. Sure it is not a kind of temporary cpu throttle or even a ram issue?
    I had a similar issue after a mac update and apple couldn't help. Then i found out that there was a software (from apple) running always in the background one core close to 100% for some reason. It was an i-cloud thingie or so trying to connect with something which i turned off. Strange.
    Would be good if there is something like the activity monitor for iOS (maybe there is an app).

But, if it down to heavy CPU usage caused by some background services, why do I/we get an immediate return to super low latency just by unplug/replug our headphone jacket cable (includes both connection analog/digital)?
    Strange...

• Fwiw in my 12.9 (early model) i had/have an issue with bias amp but no issue with anything else. Except i can't switch screens while recording or i'll get crackle. Don't know if that's just mine or if that's prevalent. No latency issues.

• Hi every one i have the same issue with iPad Pro 10.5 inch only when plugging headphones.

• Anyone having trouble with Auria pro, AUM or moog 15? As I won't be using either BM3 or garage band, I need to evaluate if buying a 10.5 is still worth.

• I would think this is most likely a software issue, probably a synchronisation issue, hence the latency becoming higher. It does only seem to be ourselves reporting this problem, maybe that is just down to the fact, that we, use headphones more than the average user.

• I'm experiencing this as well. 10.5 Pro purchased on launch day. Have only noticed it with headphones in but I'm only really using headphones at the moment.

• Anyone know if it's specifically just the headphones jack? Bluetooth headphones? Lightening bolt adapter? I am going to try to find a pair of Bluetooth headphones to see if the problem occurs there as well. Gotta hope it's a small software issue that's easily resolved in ios11 official release.

• @trip96 said:
    Anyone know if it's specifically just the headphones jack? Bluetooth headphones? Lightening bolt adapter? I am going to try to find a pair of Bluetooth headphones to see if the problem occurs there as well. Gotta hope it's a small software issue that's easily resolved in ios11 official release.

So far it seems to happen even with an audio interface via lightening port. So it's not just the headphone jack. Definitely seems to be a software issue now.

• edited July 2017

@trip96 said:
    Anyone know if it's specifically just the headphones jack? Bluetooth headphones? Lightening bolt adapter? I am going to try to find a pair of Bluetooth headphones to see if the problem occurs there as well. Gotta hope it's a small software issue that's easily resolved in ios11 official release.

With bluetooth you will see a natural latency, not related to this Apple Latency-gate :-)

And, hold in mind, even if you connect your headphones/soundsystem thru the digital lightning connection (with the iPhone 7 lightning/3.5mm phone adapter) it still remains...

This must be a kind of firmware issue on the mainboard, although it getting less obvious if you shut off the 120hz screen refresh (when running musicmaking apps)...

• Weird. I had literally no issues this evening running 8 channels from Patterning into AUM along with either two Ripplemakers or an RM and an instance of iSEM. all with at least a couple Audio damage fx running. No crackling. BM3 is a different story, but the crackling goes away right when I unplug and replug. I honestly believe it's an issue with the new refresh rate.

• I tried with earplug/microphone type headphone and it works well no latency issue or even crackling like it does with my AKG headphone. Maybe it's related to headphone impedance.

• @ganmor said:
    I tried with earplug/microphone type headphone and it works well no latency issue or even crackling like it does with my AKG headphone. Maybe it's related to headphone impedance.

if its based on impedance why is it affecting audio interfaces via lightening port ? it doesn't seem to be just the headphone jack at all.

• @guidinglight said:
    Weird. I had literally no issues this evening running 8 channels from Patterning into AUM along with either two Ripplemakers or an RM and an instance of iSEM. all with at least a couple Audio damage fx running. No crackling. BM3 is a different story, but the crackling goes away right when I unplug and replug. I honestly believe it's an issue with the new refresh rate.

Could you test if modstep sending midi to Aum causes crackles ? Also you using the headphone jack ?