Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iPad Pro 12.9” (2017) - problem with latency and digital noise... SEEMS TO BE FIXED iOS 11.1 b2

Comments

• edited July 2017

@Jumpercollins said:
    The other day I was using Beatonal on iPad 9.7 Pro (2016) model via a Novation Audio Hub 2x4. The sound was only coming out in mono left ear not right! All the audio interface setting were correct. Yet when I unplugged the interface a plugged in a set of headphones the app went back to stereo. Not sure if was iOS 10.3.3 or the app or the iPad causing the problem or the interface but it all works fine with other music apps.

the audiohub has a strange issue with its headphone volume knob.specially once dust enters it. sometimes it mutes one side of the headphones. just twiddling the knob can fix it. its not an issue with the ipad. have had this issue happen for years now even with my desktop and its gotten worse over time so i'm used to it. will probably have to replace that knob eventually though.

• I've encountered a similar problem with my new Pro 10.5. I've noticed the latency in Korg Gadget gradually increasing until it becomes unusable.

I discovered that the latency can be fixed by changing the latency setting in the advanced menu to another setting and then back again. Returning to the app will see the latency back to normal. Perhaps this has a similar effect to unplugging the headphones?

Incidentally I'm using Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones like another poster.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    The other day I was using Beatonal on iPad 9.7 Pro (2016) model via a Novation Audio Hub 2x4. The sound was only coming out in mono left ear not right! All the audio interface setting were correct. Yet when I unplugged the interface a plugged in a set of headphones the app went back to stereo. Not sure if was iOS 10.3.3 or the app or the iPad causing the problem or the interface but it all works fine with other music apps.

the audiohub has a strange issue with its headphone volume knob.specially once dust enters it. sometimes it mutes one side of the headphones. just twiddling the knob can fix it. its not an issue with the ipad. have had this issue happen for years now even with my desktop and its gotten worse over time so i'm used to it. will probably have to replace that knob eventually though.

Novation Audiohub?

How do you know it is the dust?

Just wondering?

• edited July 2017

@RustiK said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Novation Audiohub?

How do you know it is the dust?

Just wondering?

I know cause my audiohub is literally dusty. Goa is a dusty place lol. Between sand from the beach and general dust it's torture on pots and faders over time.

• So has anyone confirmed whether updating to the latest IOS 11 beta has fixed the issue or found the definitive issue (faulty components, new refresh rate, OS, etc) ? I was going to pull the trigger on the new iPad Pro 12.9, but now I'm too skeerd.

• @drez said:
    So has anyone confirmed whether updating to the latest IOS 11 beta has fixed the issue or found the definitive issue (faulty components, new refresh rate, OS, etc) ? I was going to pull the trigger on the new iPad Pro 12.9, but now I'm too skeerd.

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you buy AppleCare, they will work with you until the issue is resolved. That's my approach.

But, hey, I completely understand. No one wants to buy something that's broken.

BTW, I'd also like to chime in that I experienced this for a while, but did not post to the forums, because I figured it was idiosyncratic.

Moral: don't be afraid or embarrassed to post any issue here, no matter how small. I've shared this thread with Apple audio engineers, and submitted the bug. I'm sure the multiple reports here will validate the bug.

Of course, this doesn't mean Apple will even address it, but my point is post any issue no matter how small.

• hmmm.... think ill rock out with my Air 2 for a while, at least until IOS11 officially drops, and even then not till I see plenty of feedback from IOS musicians... I want a new Ipad pro, but not if it has issues I dont have with my Air 2. I really hope it gets sorted out.

• FYI still get a sudden buffer meltdown after about half an hour in bm3. public beta 3

• After a long chat with an apple tech support guy I just updated my iPad Pro 10.5" to the latest iOS 11 beta. I'm sorry to say it DOES NOT fix the problem.

Really really annoyed at this as currently my ancient iPhone 5S is capable of playing synth apps from a midi keyboard at lower latencies than supposedly the most powerful iPad ever made!!

I'm going to return the iPad Pro and get an iPad 2017 and maybe put the difference in cash towards a Digitakt!

• By the way, the problem seems directly related to the headphone socket. The latency gradually increased when headphones are plugged in, and returns to normal when headphones are unplugged and replugged. The Apple support I talked to confirmed that plugging in the headphones triggers some form of buffer clean.

It seems to take about a minute after replugging headphones before the latency maxes out. I'd take a guess that the latency ends up about 150-200ms higher than it should be. Very very noticeable if you're trying to play live.

• Wasn't there some kind of issue with the headphone jack on older iPads? I have a vague memory of people having some kind of issue with audio performance -- and unplugging and replugging in solved the problem. Anyone?

• edited July 2017

You guys really have to report this to Apple. I plan to buy a 10.5 soon but those issues make me want to keep my air 2 for now.

• Makes me glad I picked up an earlier iPad Pro. Tried and true is always the safest route. No doubt the problem will be fixed eventually though.

• @Norbert said:
    You guys really have to report this to Apple. I plan to buy a 10.5 soon but those issues make me want to keep my air 2 for now.

I'm actually trying to hunt down a 128gb air2 now. Decided to just wipe my hands clean off the pros in general.

• Have 10.5 Pro and have latency issue. Gradually inceasng in BM3 may return iPad and wait it out.

• @brambos does the 2017 iPad have the same issues that the pros have ? Since it's an A9 processor as well was curious if it inherited the problems too. Might grab that now instead.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    @brambos does the 2017 iPad have the same issues that the pros have ? Since it's an A9 processor as well was curious if it inherited the problems too. Might grab that now instead.

+1

• I've been trying to get ahold of a new 12.9" for weeks now (specific model not in stock anywhere) but this makes me worried. Keen to hear if anyone finds a solution or if people are sure it's a software not hardware issue (software I can be patient with).

• edited July 2017

@gonekrazy3000 said:
    @brambos does the 2017 iPad have the same issues that the pros have ? Since it's an A9 processor as well was curious if it inherited the problems too. Might grab that now instead.

The problem is with this year's iPad pros which have the A10x processor.

I haven't heard any reports of the problem occurring in last year's iPad pros (which had the A9x)

• @JMac said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

The problem is with this year's iPad pros which have the A10x processor.

I haven't heard any reports of the problem occurring in last year's iPad pros (which had the A9x)

Hmm. Might grab a 256gb 9.7 pro instead then.

• This is very interesting. I‘m on iOS 10.3.3 and I have this crackling/ delay issues with my new iPad Pro 12.9 (2017) too.

But I have never used my headphone jack. The iPad is connected to Ableton Live 9.7 via lightning cable and iConnectMidi2+. No matter which app I‘m using, 15 minutes later latency and distortion are starting. If I replug the lightning connector the sound gets clear again. First I thought it could be iCM2+ related. Then I noticed this thread…

When I‘m using studiomux and my lightning cable without iCM2+ there is no latency issue at all

• @Halftone said:
    Wasn't there some kind of issue with the headphone jack on older iPads? I have a vague memory of people having some kind of issue with audio performance -- and unplugging and replugging in solved the problem. Anyone?

I think what you're referring to is that some interfaces (notably from Focusrite, maybe others) when first plugged into an iPad using a USB / Lightning adapter, would sometimes show a huge latency of nearly 1 second, completely unusable. Plugging any 3.5mm lead into the headphone socket and removing it again would fix this (confirming what @JMac said earlier about a "buffer clean"). For me, this happens with an iPad Air 2 and Scarlett 18i8. Once cleared, it doesn't return - and I don't notice any sound degradation when it does occur.
    I don't think this is the same issue as with the rest of this thread though...

• I was feeling a bit miffed when the new pros came out as I'd only had my 2017 iPad for a month or two.. but hearing all these problems I think I made the right choice :smile: I still might get a new pro in the future but will wait till the issues are sorted.

• @ricksteruk said:
    I was feeling a bit miffed when the new pros came out as I'd only had my 2017 iPad for a month or two.. but hearing all these problems I think I made the right choice :smile: I still might get a new pro in the future but will wait till the issues are sorted.

It's looking like the older pro is a good buy currently. Trying to see if I can find it at a good price now lol.

• I wants to comment around the latest comments on this thread:

1. The 2015/2016 years model of iPad Pro DON'T have the problem with increased latency during a jamsession! I have used Beathawk 2 for more than 150 hours since release on my "old" iPad Pro 12.9" without any sort of sign of latency problem... Rock solid!
    2. Using both the analog and the digital output in my new iPad Pro 12.9" (2017) is affected by latency increases, but, last night I unpluged/repluged the headphone jacket after five minutes into Beatmaker 3 session, and after that, I used my new iPad Pro for two hours without this latency problem! So, maybe the temporarily solution to this is can be unplug/replug after you start your app (in my case Beatmaker 3 and Beathawk 2).
    3. I'm pretty sure now that it's the new 120hz screendraw frequency that is the bottom problem...
  • @ErrkaPetti said:
    I wants to comment around the latest comments on this thread:

1. The 2015/2016 years model of iPad Pro DON'T have the problem with increased latency during a jamsession! I have used Beathawk 2 for more than 150 hours since release on my "old" iPad Pro 12.9" without any sort of sign of latency problem... Rock solid!
    2. Using both the analog and the digital output in my new iPad Pro 12.9" (2017) is affected by latency increases, but, last night I unpluged/repluged the headphone jacket after five minutes into Beatmaker 3 session, and after that, I used my new iPad Pro for two hours without this latency problem! So, maybe the temporarily solution to this is can be unplug/replug after you start your app (in my case Beatmaker 3 and Beathawk 2).
    3. I'm pretty sure now that it's the new 120hz screendraw frequency that is the bottom problem...

Could that be affecting only apps that used this mode?

• @ErrkaPetti said:

If (3) is the case -- can anyone with iOS 11 Beta try turning off 120 Hz and test if the latency problem is solved?

• @nick said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

If (3) is the case -- can anyone with iOS 11 Beta try turning off 120 Hz and test if the latency problem is solved?

Where can we find that option?
    Just now I'm still on iOS 10.33 on ny new iPad Pro.
    But, I upgraded my old 12.9" Pro with iOS 11 beta 4 and I'm very impressed what I see, and, all used apps stable and run smooth...

• edited July 2017

@ErrkaPetti said:

@nick said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

Where can we find that option?
    Just now I'm still on iOS 10.33 on ny new iPad Pro.
    But, I upgraded my old 12.9" Pro with iOS 11 beta 4 and I'm very impressed what I see, and, all used apps stable and run smooth...

There should be an option in settings (perhaps where you can disable animations?) -- I don't have the Beta, but I read that 120 Hz can be disabled in settings

edit: from Apple's support pages:
    Limit Frame Rate

If you have an iPad Pro (10.5-inch) or iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation), you can set the maximum frame rate of your display to 60 frames per second. Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations and turn on Limit Frame Rate.

• reducing frame rate should even work on iOS10 according to Apple